Feedback for DC -

race
Edited Date/Time 1/20/2012 8:25pm
Great job. Nice to have a quick chat with you yesterday. I think most of us all believe the sport is in good hands now.

Since you roam this board occasionally I figured we all could give you some positive feedback.

Schedule - I think it ran a bit too long. Not sure but I think the men's 2nd motos didn't even start until after 5 pm? But even if you were to have hit your schedule perfect I'm wondering if everything couldn't be bumped earlier or tightened up. Maybe start the men's motos by noon instead of 1 pm.

- WMA Not sure how many laps they did but could easily lose a lap or more each moto to save on time. They looked pretty beat on the final lap. Would probably allow them to charge harder and look better as well. The top few riders are going good but right now they just don't have a full gate of fast riders.

- Announcers, podium awards, etc Seems like this chewed up a lot of time. ( Give an announcer a mic and some of them act like they're getting paid by the word. lol! ) I know sponsors all want their place in the spotlight but all that time spent on the podium interviews and stuff seemed to kill the momentum of the event? Must be some way to shorten/ tighten things up and keep the sponsors happy.

- Qualifying. Would love to see a return to qualifying races from the timed qualifying stuff. Not sure if that would take up more time or less but definitely more interesting to watch.

- The small side number thing. Well, if you're on here at all you can see it was very unpopular with the fans. Really, really frustrating to not immediately know who is who as they go by. I must have missed this when it was first proposed and I will assume it was a sponsorship issue but it doesn't seem to be working. You can now make out the unsponsored back markers still running normal numbers better than the top sponsored guys ... especially after a first lap thru the mud obliterates the front number plates. By the number of times that even the booth announcers had the rider order wrong, I have to assume they were impacted by this as well.

BTW - did you get my plans for a handle bar mounted laser device that would throw up a 3-D hologram above each rider rotating thru their sponsors?

- Misc stuff. Sound systems. I will assume you are trying to upgrade the sound systems at tracks or at least have them all meet a uniform standard. With the small numbers making it tougher to identify riders as they go by, the fans rely even more on the announcers to inform them. Because the thumpers are so loud I'm not sure what you can do here. Maybe someone else has a soluton. Not sure if some sort of visual aid would work in bright sunlight but knowing who is where on the track really adds to the fan experience.

- Again on the sound. In between motos, occasionally it's nice not to be blasted by music thru a distorted outdoor PA system. I realize the announcers need breaks and maybe "dead air" is considered a bad thing so I guess all you can do is keep an eye ( or ear ) on the sound level.

- The two Stroke event. A lot of us were really interested in this and I realize it was originally planned to go on earlier. But the format seems questionable. I guess we should have seen it from the rider list but is this a race or an exhibition? My vote would be for some sense of a full gate of riders that all belong in the same class ... whatever that class is to be. Maybe a top amateur gate? I think if this is done well, it will certainly aid your cause to ever go with two-strokes getting back into the Pro class at some future point.

- The TV coverage. I only have viewed it once but my first impression ... was did they drop down to a lesser camera class? The image quality did not seem to be there right from the first shot. Not sure if this was a local broadcast issue or what so I won't go further on it only to add that ... if the Canucks can do such a great job on their outdoor series I'm confident we can match or surpass them. Oh, don't want to leave out that J-Wag and DB are a great pick.

Hey, sorry to act like some back seat producer and I realize most of us have no idea what constraints you have to deal with regarding television, sponsors, riders, etc ... and that it is only the first round, both for the series and for the new management team. Just wanted to give some fan feedback to someone we all think listens. I hope others add some positive stuff as well.
|
NetMXer
5/24/2009 3:09pm
As far as the TV coverage, I watched it via Dish in HD and it was great. This was the first national I've seen in HD and it was very clear and they seemed to have many more camera's than in previous years.
ridge
5/24/2009 3:37pm
My laser thingy would have a naked girl with Monster cans.
psychcle
5/24/2009 3:50pm
TV Race coverage... A+... Facility for fans for an x-tra long race day... D-... at some point tracks need to keep some sort of a standard... to match the quality of racing imo... ;-)
CRF107
5/24/2009 3:52pm
The WMA girls only got half of what they were supposed to get...They cut it down from 15min +2 laps like the rules state, to 10min + 1 lap in the first moto, then only 4 laps in the second...

I can tell you that alot of these girls have been training really hard and to cut their race down that short was a shame. At least the top 10 girls were running just as fast on lap 5 as they were on lap 1.

The Shop

race
5/24/2009 3:58pm
Sounds like the poor image quality was my cable provider. I'm gonna have to raise some hell with them.

THIS WILL NOT STAND!!!

Some things are just too important to have anything less than the best quality on.

DC
5/24/2009 4:18pm
The girls' class got trimmed down (and the Two-Stroke race pushed back) because we had so much time delays, from stuck trucks and urgent track work, to a red flag, to the always-long lap at GH. It was a long day -- and a spectacular day -- and we will be working on streamlining it, but not at the sake of laps next time....

It's funny, everyone wants it short, but they want two motos; everyone wants one day formats, but they want us to try to qualify 120 riders per class; everyone wants it to work, and it will work.

My apologies to all of the WMA girls, and the Two-Stroke guys. It was necessary to make the TV window for the 450 class.
DC
MX Sports
crowe176
5/24/2009 4:29pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2009 4:30pm
Could have just put those 2 strokes in the pro class. I heard they looked slow and non current, so they're obviously not cheater bikes.
fcr
5/24/2009 4:30pm
No complaints here except the side plates made it difficult but we will get used to it. I say eliminate the sound system, my ears just garble it up anyhow, just get a mime.
crowe176
5/24/2009 4:32pm
Did anyone have a problem with their allisports stream? Mine was really choppy, but the audio was excellent. I have a good connection though, so just curious.
RMZ819
5/24/2009 4:49pm
Bailey and JW were awesome in the booth. Good call on that one DC!!!!!!

The woman on the other hand got hosed and they need to get there 15+2. They need run the 2ND moto at the end of the day for now on if time is going to be a issue. They got cheated.

Other than that everything was spot on.
slowvet
5/24/2009 5:08pm
I think a golf clap is in order. Beat's the chit out of the old Cycle News virtual grandstand. Hats off to all those involved.
crowe176
5/24/2009 5:09pm
slowvet wrote:
I think a golf clap is in order. Beat's the chit out of the old Cycle News virtual grandstand. Hats off to all those involved.
Grand Stand was bitchin in it's day though.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
5/24/2009 5:15pm
My only complaint watching it was the sideplates. I get the idea of better sponsors being drawn in, but if you can't tell who the hell it is it's kinda pointless. Other than that it was awesome
jock
Fantasy
1st
5/24/2009 6:43pm
crowe176 wrote:
Did anyone have a problem with their allisports stream? Mine was really choppy, but the audio was excellent. I have a good connection though, so just...
Did anyone have a problem with their allisports stream? Mine was really choppy, but the audio was excellent. I have a good connection though, so just curious.
Mine was the same crowe, quite choppy. Good connection here too.
Wolfman
5/24/2009 7:09pm
Mine was choppy, lots of buffering. At least it eventually stopped being on "real time" and just started back up where it left off.
Larry
5/24/2009 7:13pm
I really liked the TV part.
DSteg222
5/24/2009 7:43pm
CRF107 wrote:
The WMA girls only got half of what they were supposed to get...They cut it down from 15min +2 laps like the rules state, to 10min...
The WMA girls only got half of what they were supposed to get...They cut it down from 15min +2 laps like the rules state, to 10min + 1 lap in the first moto, then only 4 laps in the second...

I can tell you that alot of these girls have been training really hard and to cut their race down that short was a shame. At least the top 10 girls were running just as fast on lap 5 as they were on lap 1.
Yeah... this was pretty sad to cut them as badly as they did. I understand the need to leave time to cut and paste the video together for the upcomgin 6pm (PST) Speed broadcast bu to cheat the women out f moto time sucked. JP and AF would have made the 2nd moto pretty amazing if they would have had 5 more minutes and another lap. The way JP was changring, we could have had a different winner.

Keep the format.. even with the complaining. We trust ya DC that it will just get better with time and the program should be really good for all involved.

Great job and a "golf clap" to everyone!!!
Larry
5/24/2009 8:24pm
`ol Ger wrote:
"On any Sunday"
You are supposed to be in Church on Sunday Ger.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
5/24/2009 8:26pm
It was nice to be back home, settle back in with the family and hit church, and then catch up on chores and begin working pics without the pressure of work so immediately on the horizon
BobbyM
5/24/2009 8:28pm
race wrote:
Great job. Nice to have a quick chat with you yesterday. I think most of us all believe the sport is in good hands now. Since...
Great job. Nice to have a quick chat with you yesterday. I think most of us all believe the sport is in good hands now.

Since you roam this board occasionally I figured we all could give you some positive feedback.

Schedule - I think it ran a bit too long. Not sure but I think the men's 2nd motos didn't even start until after 5 pm? But even if you were to have hit your schedule perfect I'm wondering if everything couldn't be bumped earlier or tightened up. Maybe start the men's motos by noon instead of 1 pm.

- WMA Not sure how many laps they did but could easily lose a lap or more each moto to save on time. They looked pretty beat on the final lap. Would probably allow them to charge harder and look better as well. The top few riders are going good but right now they just don't have a full gate of fast riders.

- Announcers, podium awards, etc Seems like this chewed up a lot of time. ( Give an announcer a mic and some of them act like they're getting paid by the word. lol! ) I know sponsors all want their place in the spotlight but all that time spent on the podium interviews and stuff seemed to kill the momentum of the event? Must be some way to shorten/ tighten things up and keep the sponsors happy.

- Qualifying. Would love to see a return to qualifying races from the timed qualifying stuff. Not sure if that would take up more time or less but definitely more interesting to watch.

- The small side number thing. Well, if you're on here at all you can see it was very unpopular with the fans. Really, really frustrating to not immediately know who is who as they go by. I must have missed this when it was first proposed and I will assume it was a sponsorship issue but it doesn't seem to be working. You can now make out the unsponsored back markers still running normal numbers better than the top sponsored guys ... especially after a first lap thru the mud obliterates the front number plates. By the number of times that even the booth announcers had the rider order wrong, I have to assume they were impacted by this as well.

BTW - did you get my plans for a handle bar mounted laser device that would throw up a 3-D hologram above each rider rotating thru their sponsors?

- Misc stuff. Sound systems. I will assume you are trying to upgrade the sound systems at tracks or at least have them all meet a uniform standard. With the small numbers making it tougher to identify riders as they go by, the fans rely even more on the announcers to inform them. Because the thumpers are so loud I'm not sure what you can do here. Maybe someone else has a soluton. Not sure if some sort of visual aid would work in bright sunlight but knowing who is where on the track really adds to the fan experience.

- Again on the sound. In between motos, occasionally it's nice not to be blasted by music thru a distorted outdoor PA system. I realize the announcers need breaks and maybe "dead air" is considered a bad thing so I guess all you can do is keep an eye ( or ear ) on the sound level.

- The two Stroke event. A lot of us were really interested in this and I realize it was originally planned to go on earlier. But the format seems questionable. I guess we should have seen it from the rider list but is this a race or an exhibition? My vote would be for some sense of a full gate of riders that all belong in the same class ... whatever that class is to be. Maybe a top amateur gate? I think if this is done well, it will certainly aid your cause to ever go with two-strokes getting back into the Pro class at some future point.

- The TV coverage. I only have viewed it once but my first impression ... was did they drop down to a lesser camera class? The image quality did not seem to be there right from the first shot. Not sure if this was a local broadcast issue or what so I won't go further on it only to add that ... if the Canucks can do such a great job on their outdoor series I'm confident we can match or surpass them. Oh, don't want to leave out that J-Wag and DB are a great pick.

Hey, sorry to act like some back seat producer and I realize most of us have no idea what constraints you have to deal with regarding television, sponsors, riders, etc ... and that it is only the first round, both for the series and for the new management team. Just wanted to give some fan feedback to someone we all think listens. I hope others add some positive stuff as well.
live tv dictates where you start brah
Larry
5/24/2009 8:30pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2009 8:33pm
It was nice to be back home, settle back in with the family and hit church, and then catch up on chores and begin working pics...
It was nice to be back home, settle back in with the family and hit church, and then catch up on chores and begin working pics without the pressure of work so immediately on the horizon
Agreed. Saturday moto has always been my favorite.
`ol Ger
5/24/2009 8:39pm
`ol Ger wrote:
"On any Sunday"
Larry wrote:
You are supposed to be in Church on Sunday Ger.
Ain't neither..

oG
wildbill
5/24/2009 8:46pm
crowe176 wrote:
Did anyone have a problem with their allisports stream? Mine was really choppy, but the audio was excellent. I have a good connection though, so just...
yep, even though I'm on slow ass satellite, I should be able to watch and listen at the same time but could do neither. Shit like this happens when you live out in the middle of the Oregon high dez...Grinning
rileymx
5/24/2009 8:55pm
i was a bit disapointed by the quality of it all.......having the greatest riders and teams is not enough to have the best races........
not that i want to compere and brag about the mxgp series......not that at all.......
but it really is much better organised for every one...riders, fans, sponsers.....
the mxgp series are promoted by youthstream and they take care of every thing.....they also dont have every ones agreement in every thing...but if you follow a gp in the net you can see the diference.....their site is www.motocrossmx1.com, here they have live timming, results, fotos news.... the webcast and videos is in freecastertv, the link is there, you see all races live and can even watch them after cuz they keep them, they also have live tv of all motos..
i used to only follow us mx by the net and mags, so saturday i saw it live and was a bit desapointe, really though it was better, i mean it is america, i know you got the means.....
really hope it improves and all of us, world wise, can get to feel the greatness of your sport, the riders, the tracks, everything.....like you have all the best ingredients....just have to cook them right..........
take it as an honest opinion of a long time mx fan that always though americans do it better........
andymoto
5/24/2009 9:03pm
Me and my bud both didn't think much of the live TV using Canadian Nats for reference. Not that we're not real appreciative; just that was the one thing we agreed on regarding the TV side.

Like in the hanging over snowfence days; a need to feel the speed; hearing those motors; some WFO......ESPN use to have a certain spot on each track and just show all the riders from 1-40 go by on lap 1(no commentary; just the bikes racing past) so you could see/hear where your rider(s) went by, then go back to where the action was up front by lap 1s end and resume race coverage.

Same on audio feed; liked to have heard where all riders were a few times ea. moto. Again, maybe a lap 1 crossing the time line announcing all the riders names/positions.

Thanks much for the first moto vid feeds. They were good. Few minor probs, but figured to be expected. Real cool to see.

WMA races... a topic this morning that a number agreed shouldn't be on National day.

bauman117
5/24/2009 9:04pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:05am
Photobucket
ditch the vizor..
teggers
5/24/2009 9:17pm
I was dreaming all day yesterday. Loved it. Kinda glad I wasn't at the race....had to be a looooooong day.

I have done several permanant race track sound systems and there is not practical to have a sound system louder than the first few laps of a race. I have tried. Once the bikes spread out a little, it is acceptable. The best way (to hear the race) is to transmit it through FM transmitters and listen on walkmans. The best you can do with PA is to is put speakers every 50 feet or so (like Daytona) but that becomes very expensive very quickly. It is also really loud when no bikes are running and needs to be monitored by someone in the booth. Wires tend be cut at a certain volume. I suppose you could fly Line Arrays (like at Budds Creek) oe big stacks of PA boxes (like the MXoN's), but eventually, there will be a big problem on a week in and week out basis.

If anyone does decide to do a "Jumbotron", I have some new vendors that have the product. They are not cheap, but no where near how much they were - even 2 years ago. A decent size 20'x10' is around $75,000 for low res and $150,000 for HD res. (they were about a mil.) They are also IP65 rated for outdoor use and built like a honeycomb so wind passes through. They are bright enough for sunlight viewing.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
5/24/2009 9:31pm
I say drop the womens class all together and promote the 2 stroke class. I remember when the 4 stroke nationals was a big deal now maybe the 2 stroke nationals can do the same.

Post a reply to: Feedback for DC -

The Latest