Federal trade agency proposes higher import fees on certain European motorcycles

APLMAN99
1/14/2017 1:42pm
Excuse my ignorance, but can't you produce beef to EU regulations? BTW I'm not a Euro legislation fan it seems to be very biast to those...
Excuse my ignorance, but can't you produce beef to EU regulations?
BTW I'm not a Euro legislation fan it seems to be very biast to those in the Euro community and even then it seems to suit certain countries in it better than others, hence Brexit!
We do, and we're supposed to be able to export a certain amount of that beef to the EU without any tariff. But that's not happening the way the current agreement allows, hence the reason for this latest threat of tariffs on EU products.
APLMAN99
1/14/2017 2:02pm
You are correct, like you didn't know.:) A GMO is not the same as using hormones. A cow can be injected with hormones to grow faster/bigger...
You are correct, like you didn't know.Smile A GMO is not the same as using hormones.

A cow can be injected with hormones to grow faster/bigger. To do that as a GMO, genes would need to be put into cow DNA. A cow would then have to give birth to a calf with the altered DNA, resulting in a GMO calf. It's not the same as cloning either.

Most GMO's are plants and most are to make them resistant to heavy use of pesticides and herbicides. Which is where a lot of negativity towards GMO's started, rightfully so. They now spray Roundup just prior to harvest on grains to help dry them out.SickEvil
And what do American cows eat ? GMO modified feed. In the minds of the EU American Beef is tainted. Spin it however you want but...
And what do American cows eat ? GMO modified feed. In the minds of the EU American Beef is tainted.

Spin it however you want but your argument isn't with me but with EU politicians. Good luck winning that argument.

So the question is if this tariff passes can we import assemblies and do the final assembly of the motorcycles listed in the US to bypass the tariff ?

EU cattle already are raised eating food containing GMO products.

You are using your silly copy and paste schtick without understanding what you are talking about.

This is nearly as bad as you lying about the quote from the NASCAR track owner, and then misstating repeatedly.

If this tariff actually gets enacted, it'll be interesting to see how it affects retail pricing. I think that the tariff in the 80s went from 4% originally up to 50%, and while retail prices definitely rose, they didn't completely pass through to the consumer. But back then the manufacturers effected had smaller bikes to help offset some of the impact. KTM has to have the vast majority of their US sales in the size range targeted.
JM485
1/14/2017 2:12pm
Excuse my ignorance, but can't you produce beef to EU regulations? BTW I'm not a Euro legislation fan it seems to be very biast to those...
BTW I'm not a Euro legislation fan it seems to be very biast to those in the Euro community and even then it seems to suit certain countries in it better than others, hence Brexit!
APLMAN99 wrote:
We do, and we're supposed to be able to export a certain amount of that beef to the EU without any tariff. But that's not happening...
We do, and we're supposed to be able to export a certain amount of that beef to the EU without any tariff. But that's not happening the way the current agreement allows, hence the reason for this latest threat of tariffs on EU products.
As someone who's more than a little worried about the long term effects of hormones in our meat, how can you tell which meat is hormone free and which has come from cows treated with hormones? Is there a foolproof way to tell from the packaging, like some sort of label or certification to look for?
APLMAN99
1/14/2017 2:21pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
We do, and we're supposed to be able to export a certain amount of that beef to the EU without any tariff. But that's not happening...
JM485 wrote:
As someone who's more than a little worried about the long term effects of hormones in our meat, how can you tell which meat is hormone...
As someone who's more than a little worried about the long term effects of hormones in our meat, how can you tell which meat is hormone free and which has come from cows treated with hormones? Is there a foolproof way to tell from the packaging, like some sort of label or certification to look for?
Some hormones can be detected, therefore could potentially be tested, or the synthetic forms can be differentiated. Some hormones can't really be detected as different than natural levels, etc. so it's almost an "honor" system.

You can find meat labeled as "hormone free". It won't truly be free of hormones, of course. But that's not the stuff you're usually going to find at your local Safeway, Kroger, Walmart.

Whole Foods, some local meat shops, places like that are a good start.

The Shop

1/14/2017 2:26pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
That sucks, I don't blame your people getting pissed
APLMAN99
1/14/2017 2:54pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
That sucks, I don't blame your people getting pissed
All of that international trade stuff gets so complicated that it's hard to figure it out. So many disputes occur and it seems to always boil down to perspective and starting points of when one side feels "wronged". It's a crappy deal that motorcycles get involved with this one, for sure. It actually works out the opposite than the conspiracy theorists are hypothesizing. Normally you'd associate those who oppose added hormones in beef to be "against" dirt bikes, not those in favor of if.

Hopefully they reach some sort of relief before it actually comes to reinstating these tariffs.
philG
1/14/2017 3:05pm
What happened to the whole thing a few years ago, where they had to stop importing minibikes because the cables contained lead.

The whole food thing in the US is screwed , people arent even allowed to grow their own vegetables FFS , i saw them bulldozing peoples gardens in LA , like they were growing heroin, not tomatoes.

Europe has banned lots of Monsanto pesticides , and GMO type stuff, for health reasons, which is why they wont allow US beef, You can import all you want as long as its raised the same way as ours and passes the same tests.

Our cars and bikes cant come into the US unless they pass emissions, its the same thing, there is a standard, same for everyone.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
1/14/2017 3:14pm
Don't worry Trump has repeatedly blasted Japan on trade as well. I would expect we will be seeing at least an attempt for import taxes on goods really soon for a lot of countries.
APLMAN99
1/14/2017 3:53pm
philG wrote:
What happened to the whole thing a few years ago, where they had to stop importing minibikes because the cables contained lead. The whole food thing...
What happened to the whole thing a few years ago, where they had to stop importing minibikes because the cables contained lead.

The whole food thing in the US is screwed , people arent even allowed to grow their own vegetables FFS , i saw them bulldozing peoples gardens in LA , like they were growing heroin, not tomatoes.

Europe has banned lots of Monsanto pesticides , and GMO type stuff, for health reasons, which is why they wont allow US beef, You can import all you want as long as its raised the same way as ours and passes the same tests.

Our cars and bikes cant come into the US unless they pass emissions, its the same thing, there is a standard, same for everyone.
We aren't allowed to grow our own vegetables? Serious?

Man, all the places selling seeds and starts have been breaking laws all this time?

Is disinformation like this common?
colorado2day
1/14/2017 4:06pm
I cant help but hum the tune "Its the end of the world as we know it"

The Euro manufacturers they have targeted with this Tariff are powerless to do anything about it.

Would love to hear the AMAs plan other than a letter writing campaign ?
Are they drawing up an EV class ? 550cc class ? Wonder if MMI will see a spike in students ?
APLMAN99
1/14/2017 4:11pm
I cant help but hum the tune "Its the end of the world as we know it" The Euro manufacturers they have targeted with this Tariff...
I cant help but hum the tune "Its the end of the world as we know it"

The Euro manufacturers they have targeted with this Tariff are powerless to do anything about it.

Would love to hear the AMAs plan other than a letter writing campaign ?
Are they drawing up an EV class ? 550cc class ? Wonder if MMI will see a spike in students ?
Hey colorado/premix, if my correcting your lies bothers you enough to send me PMs, just stop lying and be more honest.

I may be a dick, but I've at least got a little bit of integrity and intelligence, you have none of either.
philG
1/14/2017 4:57pm
philG wrote:
What happened to the whole thing a few years ago, where they had to stop importing minibikes because the cables contained lead. The whole food thing...

APLMAN99 wrote:
We aren't allowed to grow our own vegetables? Serious? Man, all the places selling seeds and starts have been breaking laws all this time? Is disinformation...

Man, all the places selling seeds and starts have been breaking laws all this time?

As i read and understood it, home growers are not allowed to keep their own seed , you know; the way stuff has been grown for centuries, they have to buy seeds that are treated and passed by the government. (ie Monsanto etc)

This varies from state to state, but its been in place for ages , and recently i have seen cases of people being fined and the like for growing stuff , in a neighbourhood area.. if im wrong then fair enough, but im not dreaming it .

It appears that it is getting increasingly difficult to be self sufficient in the US .

It does strike me as odd that in a week that Victory announced that they were ceasing trading , that the tax applies only to a market that the US totally ignores as far as production is concerned.

KTM and Husqvarna will just export through India, everyone else is fucked.

All politicians are wankers , should shoot the lot of them.

colorado2day
1/14/2017 5:31pm
philG wrote:
As i read and understood it, home growers are not allowed to keep their own seed , you know; the way stuff has been grown for...
As i read and understood it, home growers are not allowed to keep their own seed , you know; the way stuff has been grown for centuries, they have to buy seeds that are treated and passed by the government. (ie Monsanto etc)

This varies from state to state, but its been in place for ages , and recently i have seen cases of people being fined and the like for growing stuff , in a neighbourhood area.. if im wrong then fair enough, but im not dreaming it .

It appears that it is getting increasingly difficult to be self sufficient in the US .

It does strike me as odd that in a week that Victory announced that they were ceasing trading , that the tax applies only to a market that the US totally ignores as far as production is concerned.

Oh that will go over well with the Orange Punch crowd. KTMs rebadged as made in India, shipped to India and then shipped to the US ?

Why doesn't the AMA in it's wisdom inquire as to the rules for importing unassembeled Motorcycles as parts and then assembling the parts into motorcycles at the importers Headquarters? Costs at least would not rise exponentially.

That would go along with Trumps plan of putting Americans to work and bypass the restrictive Tariff ?

APLMAN99
1/14/2017 5:49pm
philG wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:
We aren't allowed to grow our own vegetables? Serious? Man, all the places selling seeds and starts have been breaking laws all this time? Is disinformation...

philG wrote:
As i read and understood it, home growers are not allowed to keep their own seed , you know; the way stuff has been grown for...

You are confusing a couple of issues pretty badly.

The seed issue arises only when you purchase a patented seed. You know going in that it's basically a license for one crop cycle, not the right to produce that over and over. This is almost exclusively a large farm issue, not the average citizen buying his 89 cent seed packet.

There isn't any requirement to grow from patented or treated seed for a private citizen growing food for their own use.

The other issue you seem to be talking about is municipal and local ordinances covering zoning and usage of certain areas of land. That's common, but it isn't exactly outlawing growing your own food. For example, some municipalities have ordinances that require you to "maintain a certain aesthetic" in your front yard. In a case like that, you'd probably not be allowed to plant a garden in your front yard, but the back yard would likely be fine.

Local municipalities, and even HOAs for that matter, often have rules that say you can't park an RV in your driveway for more than 48 hours, but that certainly doesn't equate to Americans not being able to own RVs......
kkawboy14
1/14/2017 6:18pm
As long as Kawasaki is exempt and there is good marbling in my ribeyes, I'm good with all of it!
MM504
1/16/2017 11:06am
I was trying to think on a realistic level how many jobs would be impacted by this here in the U.S. Let's say a pretty popular multi-line dealer has KTM or Husqvarna it may not really affect them, maybe a job or two. But there are many of these dealers that sell only these brands. I can't imagine that riders regardless of how much you like KTM or Husqvarna would be willing to pay double. So how many jobs would be lost through the dealer networks and then in the U.S. offices. Not to mention companies that specialize in aftermarket parts for these brands. I would imagine that the potential job loss could end up in the thousands over a period of time.
rancor19
1/16/2017 11:46am
oldblood wrote:
Maybe Harley Davidson should resume mx production.
Please, God, no.
kkawboy14
1/16/2017 11:52am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2017 11:53am
If they charge a tax then another country should charge an equal tax......if a country has $3 an hour employees then the other country should have $3 an hour employees ......that sounds like a good plan to me!
APLMAN99
1/16/2017 11:55am
MM504 wrote:
I was trying to think on a realistic level how many jobs would be impacted by this here in the U.S. Let's say a pretty popular...
I was trying to think on a realistic level how many jobs would be impacted by this here in the U.S. Let's say a pretty popular multi-line dealer has KTM or Husqvarna it may not really affect them, maybe a job or two. But there are many of these dealers that sell only these brands. I can't imagine that riders regardless of how much you like KTM or Husqvarna would be willing to pay double. So how many jobs would be lost through the dealer networks and then in the U.S. offices. Not to mention companies that specialize in aftermarket parts for these brands. I would imagine that the potential job loss could end up in the thousands over a period of time.
Yep, could be devastating for some dealers I would think.

Historically the tariffs on Japanese bikes weren't entirely passed on to the consumer, but I'd expect at least a 30% increase and perhaps up to 70% possibly.

Thankfully when these tariffs have occurred in the past, the motorcycles have been stricken from the list. Let's hope that happens again if thing go forward.
philG
1/16/2017 12:12pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
You are confusing a couple of issues pretty badly. The seed issue arises only when you purchase a patented seed. You know going in that it's...

The seed issue arises only when you purchase a patented seed. You know going in that it's basically a license for one crop cycle, not the right to produce that over and over. This is almost exclusively a large farm issue, not the average citizen buying his 89 cent seed packet.

There isn't any requirement to grow from patented or treated seed for a private citizen growing food for their own use.

The other issue you seem to be talking about is municipal and local ordinances covering zoning and usage of certain areas of land. That's common, but it isn't exactly outlawing growing your own food. For example, some municipalities have ordinances that require you to "maintain a certain aesthetic" in your front yard. In a case like that, you'd probably not be allowed to plant a garden in your front yard, but the back yard would likely be fine.

Local municipalities, and even HOAs for that matter, often have rules that say you can't park an RV in your driveway for more than 48 hours, but that certainly doesn't equate to Americans not being able to own RVs......
Im picking this up from a few things i have read / seen in the past, but i take on board what you are saying , i think there have been issue's but maybe not as prevalent as to be considered a problem.

And we are not allowed to keep an RV or a trailer at home, although the correct wording is ' the front of the property should not be used for storage of caravans and the like'.. luckily for me i have side access to the rear.
APLMAN99
1/16/2017 12:19pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
You are confusing a couple of issues pretty badly. The seed issue arises only when you purchase a patented seed. You know going in that it's...

philG wrote:
Im picking this up from a few things i have read / seen in the past, but i take on board what you are saying...
Im picking this up from a few things i have read / seen in the past, but i take on board what you are saying , i think there have been issue's but maybe not as prevalent as to be considered a problem.

And we are not allowed to keep an RV or a trailer at home, although the correct wording is ' the front of the property should not be used for storage of caravans and the like'.. luckily for me i have side access to the rear.
The seed/patent issue is a "problem" for commercial growers, never heard of an issue with a home garden ever......

While I'm not a vegetable producer, the concept is sort of the same in our industry. I can purchase trees of a certain strain of Gala, and depending on the strain I will have to pay a royalty per tree to the license holder. If I go out and take cuttings off of those trees and grow more of them in my own nursery, I am in violation because there is a plant patent on that particular strain.

Millions of Americans grow food of their own every year, and it's legal to do so. A blanket statement that it is illegal to grow your own vegetables in America is inaccurate at best........
1/16/2017 12:40pm
MM504 wrote:
I was trying to think on a realistic level how many jobs would be impacted by this here in the U.S. Let's say a pretty popular...
Would there really be that many job losses though? I mean wouldn't the guys buying euro bikes just buy something else? And wouldn't the dealers just sell other brands? The aftermarket parts guys would have to start selling parts for other brands.

As much as I hate to see politicians screwing over business's, the world will keep turning.

Couldn't KTM just put daft ass big bore cylinders and pistons on the bikes to make them over 550cc for them to dodge the tariff, then just sell the right cylinders and pistons to the dealers as parts?
colorado2day
1/16/2017 2:51pm
MM504 wrote:
If they could assemble the units in the US that may only add several hundred jobs.

But, US assembly would save the thousands of jobs you mention and allow the manufacturers that would set up US assembly to continue to sell theur units in the US at the pre tariff price ?

Win win really ?
colorado2day
1/16/2017 3:23pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
If they charge a tax then another country should charge an equal tax......if a country has $3 an hour employees then the other country should have...
If they charge a tax then another country should charge an equal tax......if a country has $3 an hour employees then the other country should have $3 an hour employees ......that sounds like a good plan to me!
There ya go. If the EU doubled the price with a tariff on Harleys and Indians maybe this whole thing would go away ?
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
1/16/2017 3:29pm
MM504 wrote:
If they could assemble the units in the US that may only add several hundred jobs. But, US assembly would save the thousands of jobs you...
If they could assemble the units in the US that may only add several hundred jobs.

But, US assembly would save the thousands of jobs you mention and allow the manufacturers that would set up US assembly to continue to sell theur units in the US at the pre tariff price ?

Win win really ?
it depends if the customer will pay the higher price for the motorcycle, its got to be more expensive manufacture it in teh EU and then to ship it and assemble it in the US for that market only,
lestat
1/16/2017 5:04pm
MX Puke wrote:
Ha...because they won't let us poison Europeans with our toxic chemical-food, we are going to make dirt bike buyers at home pay double for their equipment...
Ha...because they won't let us poison Europeans with our toxic chemical-food, we are going to make dirt bike buyers at home pay double for their equipment.
How perfectly logical.
Merica ! Making the world fat again .... one Big Mac at a time .
WRH
1/16/2017 5:31pm
Will off-road only bikes be considered motorcycles?
Oh yes, just like importing bearings for off road use are still called bearings. Unless you happen to describe them as knuckles or swivel joints.

Post a reply to: Federal trade agency proposes higher import fees on certain European motorcycles

The Latest