Fastest rider EVER from New York

mtnr
8/21/2010 1:03pm
Comparing speed without lap times on the same day is subjective, no different than judging a freestyle comp. Jammer wins over Barcia until Barcia wins more championships. Unless of course Weinert says Barcia is faster, wouldn't disagree with the guys comparing each other of course. Both where and are amazing to watch. The Jammer is legend.
8/21/2010 2:38pm
Law 131 wrote:
NY has had a long dry spell. We need another National Champ. I'm not sure if Barcia is one of us anymore. Can someone fill me...
NY has had a long dry spell.

We need another National Champ. I'm not sure if Barcia is one of us anymore. Can someone fill me in? Some say he is a Georgia resident some say NY. Drive your stake in the ground somewhere, Justin.

I believe that Weinert is the all time fastest so far. We don't know what Barcia can do yet.
Weinert was fast AND he was a wiley fox that new HOW to win.

I voted for Fred Vertucci. Fred was and is one of the smoothest and fastest guys. Some of you might remember Fred giving Hannah a hell of a run in the first 250 moto at the Southwick National in 79.

Other guys that were very fast, Pat Maroney, John Gurga, Bobby Harris, Tony Masciaelli, Tom Rice. I'll think of more later.

Here is a photo of Fred and Hannah at Southwick.

Maroney and Gurga were undoubtedly two of the fastest. Gurga could have easily jumped off of this NY list and on to the nationally fast level for certain.

Fast Freddie Vertucci was right there with them and the battles Gurga and Vertucci (Thunder Ridge??) had on some local tracks were epic...

mrquick
8/21/2010 6:00pm
I would like to see the Jammer in his prime riding his factory 500cc 2 stroke against barcia
on his 250 4 stroke....I vote Jammer and i prefer 2 strokes.

The Shop

DC
8/22/2010 8:01am
Mills won a moto at Red Bud. He was very fast when he was healthy!

DC
MX Sports
SRP33
8/22/2010 8:45am
I would have to say The Jammer
Dont forget Richy Coons Factory Honda won the Southwick National. with a broken collarbone caught and past Barnett
maroney by far was the most exciting rider to watch Team PDQ the White Night on a 465 at Unadilla not to mention the paddle tire on his Fox Suzuki
and at a local level remember pitting next to him a the old Monticello track that guy was amazing he had to flat tires and still spanked everyone, I remember him at Claverack he had such a lead pulled over took his face mask down drank a few sips of a beer let the 2nd place rider go buy waited and then took off passed him back it was just funny stuff.
SRP33
8/22/2010 8:45am
Dont forget Richy Coons Factory Honda won the Southwick National. with a broken collarbone caught and past Barnett
maroney by far was the most exciting rider to watch Team PDQ the White Night on a 465 at Unadilla not to mention the paddle tire on his Fox Suzuki
and at a local level remember pitting next to him a the old Monticello track that guy was amazing he had to flat tires and still spanked everyone, I remember him at Claverack he had such a lead pulled over took his face mask down drank a few sips of a beer let the 2nd place rider go buy waited and then took off passed him back it was just funny stuff.
SRP33
8/22/2010 8:46am
MOTORSPORTFOX
8/22/2010 7:38pm
Andy Stacy still hauls ass!
friends with him and ride (try too lol) with him often!

and dont forget Charles Ellis! lol
chrisbuehler
8/24/2010 4:08pm
soren346 wrote:
The double double was on the back of the track, you had a good view of it from the big table top (that I saw sheak...
The double double was on the back of the track, you had a good view of it from the big table top (that I saw sheak over jump by about 20 ft and pass Bruce Culkin on the last lap) . Did you race dist 34 then? If so what class and #?
jlv148 wrote:
125C #148. I was the guy with the ridiculous pony tail. And yes, it was the double double in back near the table top. I had...
125C #148. I was the guy with the ridiculous pony tail. And yes, it was the double double in back near the table top. I had heard he was going to triple so I made sure I was there to see it. My dad said "I don't think it would be worth doing unless you could quad it" and sure enough, that's what he did. I completely forgot that he eventually crashed doing it.

soren346 wrote:
I'll have to look for you in my old vids. I raced Sr.mini and Schoolboy (sometimes 125C to mix it up, and get a big trophey...
I'll have to look for you in my old vids. I raced Sr.mini and Schoolboy (sometimes 125C to mix it up, and get a big trophey... Yup I admit it.) #346 dayglow green fox. Pony tail? I had a mullet!!! You forgot that he crashed? Who cares that he crashed... People are talking about it 22-23 yrs later!!! Do you have any pics from those yrs in D34 you could post up?
Amazing what the pros do on the local tracks, moreso than on the National tracks. Busting out shit you never thought possible. Remember Henry showing up at Central Village,CT with his factory Honda and jumping the whole front section in one hit. Turned a double and single into a HUGE triple. Keith Johnson wadded it up trying to follow Doug
ebers
Fantasy
174th
8/24/2010 4:15pm
Does Barcia claim to be from New York??
Dennis206
2/18/2011 1:48pm
agency399 wrote:
I haven’t looked but I am going with these guys in no particular order: Bobby Kiniry Paul Carpenter Jack Carpenter Ryan Mills Bruce Stratton Pierce Law...
I haven’t looked but I am going with these guys in no particular order:

Bobby Kiniry
Paul Carpenter
Jack Carpenter
Ryan Mills
Bruce Stratton
Pierce Law (one of our own! Hi pierce) followed the pro circuit from 77 to 79
Mitch Doughty (put it in the show at dilla this past weekend)
Josh Sterrit (made the main at the muddy Mt Morris, 01 I think)
Carlo Colen
Scott Sheak
Jimmy Weingert

I know I butchered these names......will add more as I think of them

Sonny Defeo has got to be in the top 3 fastest New Yorkers together with Jimmy Weinert and Barry Higgins. Sonny won two AMA 250 Nationals in 1972 as a privateer in Memphis and Atlanta. Barry Higgins won his only two 500 Nationals on the same days at the same tracks. In 1970, Sonny as a 17 year old High School student placed 10th in the Trans-AMA Seris won by Joel Robert and featuring the best riders in the world and the US. Sonny was 3rd overall American ahead of guys like Brad Lackey and Jimmy Weinert. Sonny blew away everyone in New York many many times in local races, usually spending most of his time on the rear wheel. He was the first American factory racer for CZ at age 16 together with Brad Lackey. He had a long career racing Nationals, Trans-AMA's Inter AMA's. In his prime only Weinert or Higgins could touch him in New York. In the Iner AMA in 1969 Barry Higgins finished 5th at Pepperell. In 1971, Sonny finished 7th overall in Ohio. Weinert, Defeo and Higgins were racing against the best in the world including DeCoster and Joel Robert.

New Yorkers winning AMA Nationals are Weinert (7), Defeo (2) and Higgins (2) Justin Barcia (1) and Scott Sheak (1). Weinert won 4 Supercross races and Justin Barcia has won 2. Sonny finished 9th overall in the 1975 Supercross Series 250 class and Barry Higgins finished 4th overall Supercross Series 500 Class in 1975. For example Paul Carpenters highest finishes ever on the National Scene is a 5th place and 6th place. I am sure he names being talked about on this post are good guy and outstanding riders. However, comparing all these younger guys on the with Jimmy Weinert is ridiculous. We know the numberes 3 National Titles and the first American to win a Inter Am Race against the Europeans. Sonny and Barry won and finished top ten multilple times in Supercorss, AMA National Motocross and Inter AMA. So how can people vote for these other guys who can't shine the shoes of Weinert, Defeo, Higgins and the Stacy brothers. I rode with Sonny and Barry and was at the Florida Inter-Am in 1971 with Weingert, Higgins and Defeo. Big timers. All three great guys. The numbers don't lie.
MBBadgers
2/18/2011 1:54pm
What about Gaylon Mosier? I know he died in NY, was he from NY?
Dennis206
2/18/2011 2:01pm
Remember that when we compare guys from the 1970's to riders now we need to do it by comparing them to their peers. What did they accomplish and what did they win against the competition of their day. You really can't say some guy who never placed higher than 5th place in an individual AMA National Race is faster than Jimmy Weinert. Right now, of course he is. The bikes guys are riding today are completely different than in Wienert, Defeo, Higgins and Stacey's day. The CZ 400 in 1971 weighed 240 pounds. Bikes today are less than 200 pounds and have much more power and torque. Fitness, nutrition, and travel are much better today. If we put Weinert, Defeo, Higgins etc.... in todays world they would thrive. So don't say a guy who never won a big race today is faster than Wienert. Certainly if we were able to compare lap times from 1970 and 2011 it would be true. However, it does not tell the true story on who was really the fastest New Yorker.
mxb2
2/18/2011 2:05pm
Barcia has cool hair LOL! Its kind of hard to rate riders of different eras!, Resumes don t lie!
Dennis206
2/18/2011 2:07pm
MBBadgers wrote:
What about Gaylon Mosier? I know he died in NY, was he from NY?
I don't believe he was from New York. Great rider!!!!!!!!!
Law 131
2/18/2011 2:19pm
Mosier was a top 10 Pro from California.

He was killed while bicycle training on the road in Rochester NY before a Unadilla race.
gar47mx
2/18/2011 6:58pm
Paul Carpenter gets my vote. Ya he may not have won a race, and may not have some of the credentials or popularity of Weinert and Barcia but he made up with pure grit and hard work to get where he did. Paulie was a true heroe around here in the 90's. Nothing was ever given to him or made easy. Paul was just a country boy dressed in camo with the biggest roached out bikes that would be duct taped together (literally) with gear that was just hammered and would lay wood to Travis Pastrana, Brandan Jesseman, and so many other hot shots when they would show up on Amateur Day at Broome, or at the LL qualifiers to try and beat him. To this day I have only seen one rider on a 80cc bike ever jump the downhill triple at broome. Paulie did in like 94 on his way to beating Travis Pastrana. It was pure insanity to watch. I went with him in 95 to Loretta Lynns where he came out with a 3rd and 5th overall. His bikes and gear were so beat up and he was hardly the guy people where thinking was going to be a threat for the overalls .By the time the week was over I think every team had been up to the box van at somepoint to check him out and talk to him. He went on to be a top pro for over a decade. Earning four stoke, and Canadian titles and some podiums in AMA SX and MX. You don't see riders like Paul come outta NY or anywhere else to much anymore
yorkts
5/19/2012 6:46am
mxrider225 wrote:
I am.
Ok, lets try and clear up this fastest ever?
First you can't compare because the bikes today are about 100% better. So who can say Barcia, is faster then Weinert, Higgins, DeFeo of Bob ( Mongoose) Ismalouf?

In the early days of scrambles, Bob and I traveled to Montocello, N.Y. a place called Holiday Mt., a ski resort. This course was up one side of the mountain and down the other side. I believe this is the first time we experienced motocross, but didn't know it. So Bob riding a Sacks 80cc, with leading link, real cool back then and me on my super cool Honda 160, how do you say ouch!

That day Bob was a winner beating many bikes much more powerful. Fast forward and Bob shows up a upstate scrambles with the first CZ 360. In that era all open class bikes were 4 strokes, hehe. Well when Bob beat the field, they crier foul! It was clearly the start of a new era, the motocross era.

So if I had to pick the fastest of that era, it would have to be Barry Higgins. At Pepperal, each year they had the East/West shootout. They came from all over the east and west coast, even Johnny Lee from Florida. Riders like Gary Bailey, John DeSoto, and so many more. But on the rough Pepperal course no one was better than Barry Higgins.
See 'My History of American Motocross" www.pinterest.com/yorkt
5/19/2012 10:04am
njracer46 wrote:
Wasn't barcia born in nj?
Just conceived there, according to my sources. But hell, who wasn't? lol

And I forgive anyone who didn't pick Jimmy Weinert in this thread. Sorry you're too young to remember the legend.
Hando
5/19/2012 11:16am
njracer46 wrote:
Wasn't barcia born in nj?
He said on pulpmx that he was born there (in nj) and lived there till he was like 2 or 3

Barcia is a jersey boy Smile
TG130
5/19/2012 12:57pm
Picking Barcia over Weinert is about the same as saying Danica Patrick is "faster" than AJ Foyt.

Post a reply to: Fastest rider EVER from New York

The Latest