Fastest rider EVER from New York

Related:
Create New Tag

8/19/2010 8:30 AM

Today's Fox Fifty is a good one. Who's in your top five?



http://www.racerxonline.com/article/the-fox-fifty---new-york.aspx

|

8/19/2010 8:45 AM

I haven’t looked but I am going with these guys in no particular order:

Bobby Kiniry
Paul Carpenter
Jack Carpenter
Ryan Mills
Bruce Stratton
Pierce Law (one of our own! Hi pierce) followed the pro circuit from 77 to 79
Mitch Doughty (put it in the show at dilla this past weekend)
Josh Sterrit (made the main at the muddy Mt Morris, 01 I think)
Carlo Colen
Scott Sheak
Jimmy Weingert

I know I butchered these names......will add more as I think of them




|

8/19/2010 9:20 AM

Pat Maroney

|

8/19/2010 9:25 AM

Of all time...........would have to be Weinert,wink

|

8/19/2010 9:31 AM

Toss up between Weinert and Barcia

|

8/19/2010 9:44 AM

The Frog

|

8/19/2010 10:13 AM

Barcia.

|

8/19/2010 11:44 AM

Weinert has 3 titles.....end of thread.

Barcia has 3 Wins.

|

8/19/2010 11:47 AM

Barcia was born in New Jersey.

|

United States of America

8/19/2010 12:15 PM

1. Jammer
2. Paul carpenter
3. Sheak
4. Kiniry
5. Stratton
6. Chris Coleman

|

8/19/2010 1:09 PM

Are we talking current residents, or natives?

if it's residents, Barica just lapped Weinert.

Paul Carpenter would be second.

|

8/19/2010 1:28 PM

Frank Stacy (CZ) and Jimmy Maserra (Rickman/Zundapp), Circa 1974, Zoar Valley Motopark, Springville, NY.

|

8/19/2010 1:36 PM

Brent wrote:

Are we talking current residents, or natives?

if it's residents, Barica just lapped Weinert.

Paul Carpenter would be second.

Barcia's not a resident. He lives in GA. He'll never get 3 titles so he'll never "lap" Jammer.

|

8/19/2010 1:47 PM

Fastest rider EVER from New York?


Weinert, no doubt.

Even if Barcia was from NY, the first time he'd stuff the Jammer would also be the last!

|

“If I remember how this worked, you’d put a side on, and then you’d go and have something to eat, and then you’d put another side on.” … Mick Jagger

8/19/2010 1:51 PM

+1 Indy. NO ONE stuffed Jammer and got away with it!

|

8/19/2010 3:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/19/2010 3:06 PM

Brent wrote:

Are we talking current residents, or natives?

if it's residents, Barica just lapped Weinert.

Paul Carpenter would be second.

cdm806 wrote:

Barcia's not a resident. He lives in GA. He'll never get 3 titles so he'll never "lap" Jammer.

The title of the thread was the FASTEST rider ever from New York.

Nostalgia for the good old days is nice, but Weinert in his heyday couldn't hold a candle to Barcia today (wherever he lives). Weinert had determination and was a gritty guy, I'll give you that.

Unfortunately I'm old enough to have seen Weinert ride at the very end of his career, and yes, he does have three championships, but raw speed didn't win those for him.

|

8/19/2010 5:24 PM

Brent wrote:

Are we talking current residents, or natives?

if it's residents, Barica just lapped Weinert.

Paul Carpenter would be second.

cdm806 wrote:

Barcia's not a resident. He lives in GA. He'll never get 3 titles so he'll never "lap" Jammer.

Brent wrote:

The title of the thread was the FASTEST rider ever from New York.

Nostalgia for the good old days is nice, but Weinert in his heyday couldn't hold a candle to Barcia today (wherever he lives). Weinert had determination and was a gritty guy, I'll give you that.

Unfortunately I'm old enough to have seen Weinert ride at the very end of his career, and yes, he does have three championships, but raw speed didn't win those for him.

I agree. Three championships is legend material but the title is FASTEST rider from N.Y not most acomplished. That being said Sheak or Barcia are at the top. I have seen most of the guys on the list ride in person, and have ridden with a few. Seeing Sheak ride in person when he wasn't hurt was unbelievable, kind of like Barcia they just looked a tick above everyone. In 1993 or 94 there was a benefit race at the Walden Playboys track in N.Y. , Doug Henry, Sheak, Clowers, and a bunch of other fast New England guys were there. It was so shocking to see Sheak all over the National champ, Sheak crashed over and over and would just keep reeling him back in. He was clearly faster just couldn't keep it on two wheels. By the way Carlo Coen was right there in both motos, the three of them killed everyone else. It was awsome to see the 125 National champion drive himself to the track two hrs away from home in a little pickup to do a charity race. That's the kind of guy Doug Henry is.

|

8/19/2010 5:32 PM

New Jersey..... Barcia = New Jersey.

|

United States of America

8/19/2010 5:54 PM

how could billy silverole, paul and brian austin be over looked?

|

8/19/2010 6:34 PM

web mx wrote:

Of all time...........would have to be Weinert,wink

I'll second.

|

8/19/2010 6:58 PM

Camp332 wrote:

New Jersey..... Barcia = New Jersey.

I would say for NJ
Joe Boehler and Kevin Kazmerski would be a notch or 2 above Barcia

DC How could you forget?

|

8/19/2010 7:06 PM

Jammer all the way! He is currently opening up a training facility and still rides. He is core MX. All these kids talking about Barcialaughing laughing laughing

|

8/19/2010 7:09 PM

Camp332 wrote:

New Jersey..... Barcia = New Jersey.

ThePipe wrote:

I would say for NJ
Joe Boehler and Kevin Kazmerski would be a notch or 2 above Barcia

DC How could you forget?

I'm faster than Joe Boehler. The guy had nothing for me at Etown.

|

United States of America

8/19/2010 7:19 PM

Barcia will always be indentified by NY. He won his LL titles while a resident and Honda moved him and his family to Georgia.

Kinda in the same way that Florida doesn' get credit now for Villopoto, and Reed, and South Carolina can't claim the Alessi's and California can't claim Millsaps.

When doing the RacerX NY 50 I think it implies that you're gonna have to put a 3 time champ atop the list.

Barcia is probably second on all time wins with his 3 victories and Sheak and Carpenter I don't believe ever won a race.

But fastest rder ever from NY could be a guy on a Ducati on the NY Thruway, drunk and trying to lose a State Trooper based on your criteria but whatev.....no skin off me.

|

8/19/2010 7:27 PM

The Jammer is the greatest MX'er from NY ever... That is what pisses me off about these polls... Most that are voting know nothing about the old days of MX and a lot of the older MX'er don't get on the net either. These polls get to be one side on the MX'er from about 1990 to today.

|

8/19/2010 7:36 PM

How do you compare guys when one is on an air-cooled bike with 4 inches of travel and drum brakes and the other is on a Team Geico Honda from 2010? Watching that Weinert video makes me wonder if they complained about bike setup being an issue back then. I'm not sure what is more death-defying, a 100' triple on Barcia's bike or 4' of air on that Weinert Kawasaki. That is courage.

|

8/19/2010 7:41 PM

knowitalloveragainnovice wrote:

Barcia will always be indentified by NY. He won his LL titles while a resident and Honda moved him and his family to Georgia.

Kinda in the same way that Florida doesn' get credit now for Villopoto, and Reed, and South Carolina can't claim the Alessi's and California can't claim Millsaps.

When doing the RacerX NY 50 I think it implies that you're gonna have to put a 3 time champ atop the list.

Barcia is probably second on all time wins with his 3 victories and Sheak and Carpenter I don't believe ever won a race.

But fastest rder ever from NY could be a guy on a Ducati on the NY Thruway, drunk and trying to lose a State Trooper based on your criteria but whatev.....no skin off me.

Sheak won a moto at High Point in 96 and won the overall ther in 97. If they wanted to do it your way they wouldn't take votes, they would just look at the record books. I think it's a cool thing and a lot of people get some recognition that they wouldn't if it wasn't for this.

|

8/19/2010 7:54 PM

Tbteam wrote:

Frank Stacy (CZ) and Jimmy Maserra (Rickman/Zundapp), Circa 1974, Zoar Valley Motopark, Springville, NY.

Sonny (Sal) DeFeo... Port Washington, NY CZ

Barry Higgins... NY metro area... CZ... Sometimes Husky... Sometimes Maico

Bob Ismalouf (sp) Motocross Specialties Long Island, NY Maico


" It takes knobby balls to ride motocross"

Mark we are old, but good!
I raced the 125 support on a 4speed Montesa Crappa at Zoar.
Remember the Mexico NY sand national? Ouch!
Marty

|

Stupid Hurts

8/19/2010 8:07 PM

Tbteam wrote:

Frank Stacy (CZ) and Jimmy Maserra (Rickman/Zundapp), Circa 1974, Zoar Valley Motopark, Springville, NY.

mvmx wrote:

Sonny (Sal) DeFeo... Port Washington, NY CZ

Barry Higgins... NY metro area... CZ... Sometimes Husky... Sometimes Maico

Bob Ismalouf (sp) Motocross Specialties Long Island, NY Maico


" It takes knobby balls to ride motocross"

Mark we are old, but good!
I raced the 125 support on a 4speed Montesa Crappa at Zoar.
Remember the Mexico NY sand national? Ouch!
Marty

Amen to that.

You should get a medal for riding that bike! Looked kind of cool though.

|

8/19/2010 8:08 PM

I am.

|