Fastest man on the planet (SX '11)?

JB111
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 1:11am
All the talk of this title being used for James got me thinking, who is the fastest man this year?

Obviously the results and series points give us a great indication of overall success but who on average is the "Fastest" rider so far this season?

I took a quick trip to results.amasupercross.com to try to see what it could tell me.

Each 450 main event can be viewed with individual riders lap times with their fastest time being highlighted. I totaled up each of the top 5 riders (Stewy, Chad, Dung, Villy & Trey) fastest lap for all the mains & averaged the total times for all the events up to & including St Loius.

For James & Villy the total was only divided by 13 rounds as there was fastest time recorded for Jacksonville for either of them.

The results were about as close as this years points race, This is the result I got below-

James Stewart: 53.127
Chad Reed: 53.132
Trey Canard: 53.242
Ryan Dungey: 53:266
Ryan Villopoto: 53.613

Villopoto's time suffered with his Toronto struggles, still amazingly close though.

Please don't try to read too much into this, I didn't do it to bash anyones favorite rider, just thought it added another special facet to this great series.

BTW, I am so disappointed I am not going to Vegas this year.......
|
cason402
4/12/2011 4:05am
if we were able to get all the riders at each event to drag race on the start strait.

and averaged those times, would we have the "fastest man" title?

so how does one lap get a "fastest man" title in an endurance sport?
Duc21
4/12/2011 4:11am
Should have added up total Main Event times then divide by races... not jus the 1 lap...
Mspicer
4/12/2011 5:02am
The fastest doesn't always win, so it doesn't matter.
txmxer
4/12/2011 5:13am
Mspicer wrote:
The fastest doesn't always win, so it doesn't matter.
this year, more so than any I can remember.

The Shop

wardy
4/12/2011 5:49am
just reflects the points totals

and the type of racing there has been this year.
Hank_Thrill
4/12/2011 6:27am
I could care less about answering the question, but what you did is pretty stinking cool and some awesome data!
Jeff_Alessi
4/12/2011 8:12am
'The fastest man doesn't always win'

I guess u could use that saying this year cause James proved that one, like u said, u can't read much into this but it does serve a notice that everyone is really close, we already no that, from a racers standpoint the fastest man is js7 then villo then dungey mite have a tiny more speed then canard then u have reed, however, racing this year has been about the guy putting himself infront of as many of the others in the 5 off the start, James and villo being the only real passers of the group if those 2 get infront of the others it's pretty much over unless Stewart makes a mistake, I truly believe in consistency, so much that it could win the title for either dungey or villo this year, both have had dnf's but other then that have shown extreme talent to be there every single weekend, canard has been downright fast but this season has been so good for him, first year on a 450 n 3 wins is incredible, he will be the guy I call for the 2012 title sx, reed has probably been just as consistent but not winning enough to put him to the top, he had some bad luck and that's racing, I was bummed in Dallas when he got the bad end of a scary situation that could of caused, well u no. Just thank god. I believe James will still win the title, call me crazy but we don't have 2 guys racing for wins and being leaps better then third, right now making up points is easier when ur main points leader can get 5th and James can win well that's alot of points to make up in 1 race, even if he wins and villo gets 3rd that's 7 points? Right now james is the only one with the speed to win the remainder of races, the Rest of the guys r so close it's just gonna come down to the start. I really had a feeling reed was gonna get it but it's gonna be harder for him but there's a chance. My predictions r Stewart villo dungey canard reed, or atleast the top 3 will be those guys in some order.

Thats my morning post hope u enjoy, sorry it's so long I'm not a forum-er I'll try n shortn things up as I'm here more.
jasonv43
4/12/2011 8:21am
'The fastest man doesn't always win' I guess u could use that saying this year cause James proved that one, like u said, u can't read...

I guess u could use that saying this year cause James proved that one, like u said, u can't read much into this but it does serve a notice that everyone is really close, we already no that, from a racers standpoint the fastest man is js7 then villo then dungey mite have a tiny more speed then canard then u have reed, however, racing this year has been about the guy putting himself infront of as many of the others in the 5 off the start, James and villo being the only real passers of the group if those 2 get infront of the others it's pretty much over unless Stewart makes a mistake, I truly believe in consistency, so much that it could win the title for either dungey or villo this year, both have had dnf's but other then that have shown extreme talent to be there every single weekend, canard has been downright fast but this season has been so good for him, first year on a 450 n 3 wins is incredible, he will be the guy I call for the 2012 title sx, reed has probably been just as consistent but not winning enough to put him to the top, he had some bad luck and that's racing, I was bummed in Dallas when he got the bad end of a scary situation that could of caused, well u no. Just thank god. I believe James will still win the title, call me crazy but we don't have 2 guys racing for wins and being leaps better then third, right now making up points is easier when ur main points leader can get 5th and James can win well that's alot of points to make up in 1 race, even if he wins and villo gets 3rd that's 7 points? Right now james is the only one with the speed to win the remainder of races, the Rest of the guys r so close it's just gonna come down to the start. I really had a feeling reed was gonna get it but it's gonna be harder for him but there's a chance. My predictions r Stewart villo dungey canard reed, or atleast the top 3 will be those guys in some order.

Thats my morning post hope u enjoy, sorry it's so long I'm not a forum-er I'll try n shortn things up as I'm here more.

Glad you're here man.
toroP
4/12/2011 8:52am
JB111 wrote:
All the talk of this title being used for James got me thinking, who is the fastest man this year? Obviously the results and series points...
All the talk of this title being used for James got me thinking, who is the fastest man this year?

Obviously the results and series points give us a great indication of overall success but who on average is the "Fastest" rider so far this season?

I took a quick trip to results.amasupercross.com to try to see what it could tell me.

Each 450 main event can be viewed with individual riders lap times with their fastest time being highlighted. I totaled up each of the top 5 riders (Stewy, Chad, Dung, Villy & Trey) fastest lap for all the mains & averaged the total times for all the events up to & including St Loius.

For James & Villy the total was only divided by 13 rounds as there was fastest time recorded for Jacksonville for either of them.

The results were about as close as this years points race, This is the result I got below-

Villopoto's time suffered with his Toronto struggles, still amazingly close though.

Please don't try to read too much into this, I didn't do it to bash anyones favorite rider, just thought it added another special facet to this great series.

Try replacing fast lap with average lap from each main event, then average those. ...........since you enjoy accounting so muchWink
4/12/2011 9:10am
'The fastest man doesn't always win' I guess u could use that saying this year cause James proved that one, like u said, u can't read...

Very nice and thanks for the input.
4/12/2011 9:12am
JB111 wrote:
All the talk of this title being used for James got me thinking, who is the fastest man this year? Obviously the results and series points...

toroP wrote:
Try replacing fast lap with average lap from each main event, then average those. ...........since you enjoy accounting so muchWink
I would guess Stewart would drop because of the time spent on the ground.
mrquick
4/12/2011 10:16am
Mud is a great equalizer...My money is on Canard.
4/12/2011 12:21pm
I am surprised there aren't the usual posts from the usual posters when this subject is brought up. I guess the guys out there racing know who the fastest guy is.
4/12/2011 1:39pm
JB111 wrote:

I guess that;s gotta be the best way to get the answer,the trouble is that by taking all the laps it's hard on Reed for example as you count a lap where he gets knocked off the track etc,at least this way you take a lap from each race where each guy has a decent run at a fast lap

I think most would agree that Stewart is the fastest,but results show he's a win or crash guy

personally I'd like to see Reed do it as a privateer and as a guy that's had the worst luck,as the times he has lost points is when he has been taken out it's not been his fault,the only other guy with that deal is Dungey,who I'd see as a worthy winner too
4/12/2011 2:51pm
I guess that;s gotta be the best way to get the answer,the trouble is that by taking all the laps it's hard on Reed for example...
I guess that;s gotta be the best way to get the answer,the trouble is that by taking all the laps it's hard on Reed for example as you count a lap where he gets knocked off the track etc,at least this way you take a lap from each race where each guy has a decent run at a fast lap

I think most would agree that Stewart is the fastest,but results show he's a win or crash guy

personally I'd like to see Reed do it as a privateer and as a guy that's had the worst luck,as the times he has lost points is when he has been taken out it's not been his fault,the only other guy with that deal is Dungey,who I'd see as a worthy winner too
How many times has Reed been taken out and by who? The obvious one is when Stewart launched into him and knocked him over the berm.
YZach
4/12/2011 2:59pm
Fastest man is the one that wins the championship.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/12/2011 3:48pm

Jeff, don't be one of those guys who apologizes for posting something more than a one-liner. Wink
MXR
4/12/2011 3:53pm
The fastest men on the planet race outdoors , not artificial motocross in a stadium .
RaceFace
4/12/2011 4:06pm
I am surprised there aren't the usual posts from the usual posters when this subject is brought up. I guess the guys out there racing know...
I am surprised there aren't the usual posts from the usual posters when this subject is brought up. I guess the guys out there racing know who the fastest guy is.
Yes. Stewart has shown that he often is the fastest rider at the race this year in qualifying and often with the fastest race lap. When I point out that he would win a bunch more if he slowed down a bit and used his dome for something other than an impact cushion, I'm called a "hater". James should have at least 8 major titles (at least) now instead of the 5 he has. That isn't bashing, that is the facts. I think Stewart still is the fastest which shouldn't match up with being 4th in points.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
4/12/2011 4:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2011 4:16pm

awesome post Jeff, however if Stewart Wins, and RV gets 3rd then its only 5 points, so RV could get 3 3rds and still beat Stewart (but Dungey can not get 2nd all 3 times)

here is my thoughts with 3 races to go,

Ryan Villopoto....................275pts.
Ryan Dungey......................270pts. (-5)
Chad Reed.........................267pts. (-8)
James Stewart....................259pts.(-16)
Trey Canard.......................255pts. (-20)

RV really only needs 1 win and a couple of podiums, i think he can do this, he is my pick for the title, he needs better starts.
Dungey really needs 2 wins, i am not sure he can do this, because i agree with you RV and Stewart are a step ahead in pace,
Reed also needs 2 wins, but the same and Dungey, not quite the speed, (as much as i would love to see him win it)
Stewart needs to win all 3 races, he has had 3 wins in a row in 2 years if not longer, this will be a tough ask in this field,
Canard needs 3 wins and some bad luck for the 4 in front of him, he can be a spoiler tho, and take points off the guys infornt,

in the end, a first turn crash can turn everything around, it will be a hell of a finish to the season,
4/12/2011 4:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2011 4:20pm
I am surprised there aren't the usual posts from the usual posters when this subject is brought up. I guess the guys out there racing know...
RaceFace wrote:
Yes. Stewart has shown that he often is the fastest rider at the race this year in qualifying and often with the fastest race lap. When...
Yes. Stewart has shown that he often is the fastest rider at the race this year in qualifying and often with the fastest race lap. When I point out that he would win a bunch more if he slowed down a bit and used his dome for something other than an impact cushion, I'm called a "hater". James should have at least 8 major titles (at least) now instead of the 5 he has. That isn't bashing, that is the facts. I think Stewart still is the fastest which shouldn't match up with being 4th in points.
If IF IF LOL That's why they race. Funny that you are the one that responded to my post. Who would have thunk it? Smile
jasonv43
4/12/2011 4:26pm
Fastest man on the planet title has already been claimed. We will have to call James something else from now on.

TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
4/12/2011 4:28pm

Nice insight and opinion, please keep posting when you can. It is appreciated. And taking out the stats, fastest laps avg, etc and just by the "eye test", I'd agree with James, Poto, Dungey, Canard, Reed (although Canard has impressed the heck out of me at late). But all of those guys are so close, we're splitting hairs really.

Again, thanks for posting and please do it more when you can. And don't pay attention to the knuckleheads on this board. Most of them couldn't find their wanker with 2 hands and a flashlight.
RaceFace
4/12/2011 4:29pm
RaceFace wrote:
Yes. Stewart has shown that he often is the fastest rider at the race this year in qualifying and often with the fastest race lap. When...
If IF IF LOL That's why they race. Funny that you are the one that responded to my post. Who would have thunk it? Smile
What is your problem? I knew who you had in mind. What are you talking about with the IFs? Aren't you a Stewart supporter? Does he crash too much, or do you enjoy him crashing?

The post of yours I quoted hinted at the fact that us "bashers" were steering clear of this thread because we can't "hate" on it. I give Stewart credit in my post, admit he has been the fastest much of the time, and you still have a problem with what I say.

So your thought process says the fastest guy BELONGS in 4th place points? That is genius.
4/12/2011 4:49pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2011 4:53pm
RaceFace wrote:
RaceFace wrote:
What is your problem? I knew who you had in mind. What are you talking about with the IFs? Aren't you a Stewart supporter? Does he...
What is your problem? I knew who you had in mind. What are you talking about with the IFs? Aren't you a Stewart supporter? Does he crash too much, or do you enjoy him crashing?

The post of yours I quoted hinted at the fact that us "bashers" were steering clear of this thread because we can't "hate" on it. I give Stewart credit in my post, admit he has been the fastest much of the time, and you still have a problem with what I say.

So your thought process says the fastest guy BELONGS in 4th place points? That is genius.
I don't have a problem. Do you? Ya IF. IF he didn't crash he would be the points leader. Speaking of genius, you are the one that said IF. Check it out: "if he slowed down a bit..." If RV hadn't crashed out and missed a main he would have a huge lead. If CR didn't put that ummmmm block pass on JS and JS hadn't of taken him out, and the tuff block hadn't been there, and IF IF IF. See what I mean. Ya IF JS slowed he MIGHT be the points leader. Then again IF he slowed down he might not be.

Your thought process can't keep up with my thought process. No GENIUS I don't think the fastest guy belongs in 4th place. I do, however think that with just a little bit of good luck instead of bad luck he would be right up there in the points lead. But they have all had some bad luck haven't they?

And yes I knew that you would love to jump on this post and bash away and you knew I was talking about you but there are a lot of others. One tried the underhand slap of racing the outdoors and did you read JA's post. Reread it again if you did.
RaceFace
4/12/2011 5:01pm
I don't have a problem. Do you? Ya IF. IF he didn't crash he would be the points leader. Speaking of genius, you are the one...
I don't have a problem. Do you? Ya IF. IF he didn't crash he would be the points leader. Speaking of genius, you are the one that said IF. Check it out: "if he slowed down a bit..." If RV hadn't crashed out and missed a main he would have a huge lead. If CR didn't put that ummmmm block pass on JS and JS hadn't of taken him out, and the tuff block hadn't been there, and IF IF IF. See what I mean. Ya IF JS slowed he MIGHT be the points leader. Then again IF he slowed down he might not be.

Your thought process can't keep up with my thought process. No GENIUS I don't think the fastest guy belongs in 4th place. I do, however think that with just a little bit of good luck instead of bad luck he would be right up there in the points lead. But they have all had some bad luck haven't they?

And yes I knew that you would love to jump on this post and bash away and you knew I was talking about you but there are a lot of others. One tried the underhand slap of racing the outdoors and did you read JA's post. Reread it again if you did.
Settle down Francis. IF you think James crashes often all due to bad luck, what else is there to say?

One tried the underhand slap of racing the outdoors

Clearly my inferior mind can't grasp whatever intelligent thought this above was.
peelout
4/12/2011 5:18pm
don't know, but he's currently working on locking in the new San Manuel sponsor for 2012

MBBadgers
4/12/2011 5:31pm
peelout wrote:
don't know, but he's currently working on locking in the new San Manuel sponsor for 2012 [img]http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/211_kleenex.jpg[/img]
don't know, but he's currently working on locking in the new San Manuel sponsor for 2012

yeah we get it you don't like JS, enough already.
kiwifan
4/12/2011 5:43pm
James does put together some fast laps, no doubt about it...but he cannot do those fast laps EVERY lap....he just takes more risks to ge those faster laps...does that make him a faster rider, depends on your point of view as to whether taking those risks to give him the fatest laps makes him the fatest or whether consistency in stringing together a race result (win or not) makes you a faster rider because you crash less (less riskier riding).

I dont think there is an answer.... obviously fans of their favourite rider will say they are the fatest because they dont want to believe they are not!

If you have one rider who consistently week after week puts together the fastest laps, wins all races or at least in top 2 week (unless crashing not of his fault) after week then you may be able to call him the fastest??

The thing is that this year there are 5 very fast riders, who on their night can thrash any of the other 5, like it or not!!

Post a reply to: Fastest man on the planet (SX '11)?

The Latest