Fast 50's (eating crow)

Related:
Create New Tag

10/15/2019 12:19 PM

I was hoping we could skip the fast 50's but it looks like one is in the future. I'm looking for opinions between the ktm/husky and cobra's. I don't think the sx-e5 is practical in our situation cause the lil man puts about 3 hrs an outing between the main and kids tracks. If the battery's were quick swap and bike/battery package was a little more $$$ cost effective, it might be viable. I've heard some horror stories about the clutches, stators, seals etc. Any opinions?

|

10/15/2019 12:29 PM

A lowered KX 65 with a Rekluse is working very well for my 5 year old this year. Only about $900 invested into the bike total. Use a washer to detune it like a stock PW50. Racing age limits are a problem with that set up. They usually need to be 7 to race a 65. We haven't raced yet, but have 2 tracks at home and a 3rd track next door. Our bikes get a lot of time on them. Just started running the 65 wide open without any exhaust restrictions 2 days ago. You don't need to eat crow yet.

|

10/15/2019 1:14 PM

is he wanting to race, or just ride tracks? cobras are faster. we are on husky's. both are plenty fun. brand doesn't matter unless he's super competitive.

i constantly hear horror stories. the really fast kids are hard on them, beginner-moderate pace kids, not so much. kids on trails, not so much. i know a lot of kids with 50+ hrs on ktm/husky 50's that haven't done anything other than frequent oil changes. now, you will be changing oil every 2-4hrs. we've never had a single stator issue. i'm also very careful with a pressure washer...

65 is a more reliable option, but thats a lot more bike to learn to ride, height and weight, unless your kid is tall.

|

10/15/2019 1:21 PM

I have a ktm 50 with 80 hours on it and other than frequent oil changes and a couple top ends I've done nothing else to it. The first 40 hours of its life were with my daughter riding it and it was her first bike then it went to my son. He is just starting to ride it harder now. Other dad's at the track who's kids ride harder are doing more work on them but I've been lucky.
My tip is when they are learning it, adjust the clutch so it engages earlier and not constantly slipping and then adjust it back out as they get faster. When washing, keep the pressure cleaner away from the ignition cover and you will limit stator problems

|

10/15/2019 1:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2019 1:46 PM

I'm with you on the e-Bike deal, the last thing I want to see is my son sitting on the tailgate waiting for his bike to charge while his friends are out burning laps.

Been having good luck with our 2018 TC50 so far at about 35 hours, but then again, my little guy isn't exactly setting the world on fire. It does have a small carb mod/fix that Pax Racing does. We have a friend with a 2017 TC50 that had a stator issue, but they got a replacement stator for it has ran flawlessly since. Recently a mutual friend bought and his son has had zero issues with that 2017 as well.

|

Do It In The Dirt!

10/15/2019 1:31 PM

Fast 50’s are an experience that every moto dad should endure. I actually miss those days. We have had all brands over the years but we primarily chose Cobra through the competitive 50 years. I’m not sure about the new KTM/Husky bikes but they look to be competitive. You will quickly learn the do’s and dont’s. Embrace the challenge as it can be rewarding!

|

10/15/2019 1:43 PM

mikec265 wrote:

A lowered KX 65 with a Rekluse is working very well for my 5 year old this year. Only about $900 invested into the bike total. ...more

This.
In particular the 2000 and 2001 models were lower than the 02+ ones. Different frame, upper fork tubes and some other minor stuff. Compared to a racing 50, KX65's are comically reliable- more time for Jr to ride, and less for you to wrench.

|

10/15/2019 2:32 PM

Cobras battery will be quick change. We have been with cobras after our first ktm was a pos

|

Instagram: logi.bear93
Youtube: Logi. Bear93

10/15/2019 4:51 PM

AngryBear wrote:

is he wanting to race, or just ride tracks? cobras are faster. we are on husky's. both are plenty fun. brand doesn't matter ...more

Not really into racing, but all we ride is motocross tracks. More concerned with reliability and suspension. He could hang with the kid's on fast 50's on a turn track but on the main track he's still learning body positioning and stability at speeds. He's not quite maxed out yet on the pw but the suspension is the weakest link. I want to keep him on that bike as long as possible to increase his skill level and work on carrying his momentum. He's 6 years old but a tiny kid. 43" and 35lbs. We have a little more time but it won't be long before he's maxed out on that bike.

|

10/15/2019 4:52 PM

MotoChris wrote:

Fast 50’s are an experience that every moto dad should endure. I actually miss those days. We have had all brands over the ...more

"An experience" that's what i'm afraid of.

|

10/15/2019 4:54 PM

mikec265 wrote:

A lowered KX 65 with a Rekluse is working very well for my 5 year old this year. Only about $900 invested into the bike total. ...more

I'm not quite sure his size will allow us to jump from the pw to the 65. He's a tiny kid, although that was my original plan. I also own a ttr110, so he'll play on that also.

|

10/15/2019 4:55 PM

AngryBear wrote:

is he wanting to race, or just ride tracks? cobras are faster. we are on husky's. both are plenty fun. brand doesn't matter ...more

peltier626 wrote:

Not really into racing, but all we ride is motocross tracks. More concerned with reliability and suspension. He could hang ...more

If you want good suspension and reliability go Cobra, we moved from a KTM to Cobra best thing I ever did!

|

10/15/2019 5:02 PM

And BTW welcome to the thunderdome hahaha shit is real in the 50 class!

|

10/15/2019 5:04 PM

Helda wrote:

HA! That's what i'm trying to avoid.

|

10/15/2019 6:51 PM

Helda wrote:

this.

security has to get involved at 50cc races more than pro/money on the line races...

|

10/15/2019 8:06 PM

mikec265 wrote:

peltier626 wrote:

I'm not quite sure his size will allow us to jump from the pw to the 65. He's a tiny kid, although that was my original plan. ...more

If he's that small maybe look into the Oset MX10. They are about $3000 and are pretty badass electric bikes.

|

10/15/2019 8:30 PM

Don’t step him up too fast Jared. So what if he can ride the pw to the max. He’ll learn more by pushing the pw than being pulled by something bigger. Walk him up when he is ready, not when you think he is ready. I made that mistake and Broc didn’t ride dirtbikes for the next 12 years. When he switched over to the bicycles I stepped him up slowly on wheel size then on frame size once on 20”.

He loves riding dirtbikes now and wishes he had never lost interest after the Cobra slung him into the fence...

My opinion of course

|

10/16/2019 7:12 AM

Helda wrote:

peltier626 wrote:

I have a mini he can try out at the track one day. just shoot me an email. Bfrisch884@gmail.com. I’m pretty close to you. They are a pain sometimes but skipping the 50 would be a mistake. To much to learn in that time.

|

10/16/2019 7:32 AM

brocster wrote:

Don’t step him up too fast Jared. So what if he can ride the pw to the max. He’ll learn more by pushing the pw than being ...more

That's the same advice that a friend offered when my son was starting to outgrow his PW. He recommend bar risers and to let him ride the PW to the max before moving up. We also brought the PW along when he was first getting started on the TC50. It only took a few trips before he realized the PW wasn't for him anymore and he told me when could leave it at home the next time we went to the track. Good luck!
|

Do It In The Dirt!

10/16/2019 10:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/16/2019 10:57 AM

brocster wrote:

Don’t step him up too fast Jared. So what if he can ride the pw to the max. He’ll learn more by pushing the pw than being ...more

Zeke27G wrote:
That's the same advice that a friend offered when my son was starting to outgrow his PW. He recommend bar risers and to let ...more

I have some pax bar risers and a guts 1" taller seat in mind. He still has time on the pw, I'm definitely not pushing him or think he's the next eli tomac, I want to wait until he's good and ready and mature enough for the next step. I'll reevaluate what's the next logical step when that time comes, just hoping for some real world experiences that some moto dad's are willing to share. Thanks for all the responses.

|

10/16/2019 10:42 AM

Helda wrote:

peltier626 wrote:

bf884 wrote:

I have a mini he can try out at the track one day. just shoot me an email. Bfrisch884@gmail.com. I’m pretty close to you. They ...more

Will do, I'll give you a heads up next outing, we've been riding mostly z-man and full throttle.

|

10/16/2019 12:20 PM

peltier626 wrote:

bf884 wrote:

I have a mini he can try out at the track one day. just shoot me an email. Bfrisch884@gmail.com. I’m pretty close to you. They ...more

peltier626 wrote:

Will do, I'll give you a heads up next outing, we've been riding mostly z-man and full throttle.

Roger that. Our next couple trips will be to zmans since there is a race coming up.

|

10/16/2019 12:48 PM

Opened this thread thinking a bunch of Fast 50 xr50’s from the 2000’s going to be posted ermm sideways

|

10/16/2019 2:59 PM

Hahah- me too but thinking of even earlier, like PR50 Italjets... total rocketships from like 1979 or something.
Speaking of which were named after the ace NMA Champ, now sadly deceased- Paul Denis. Apparently they named the bike after Paul- PR designating 'Paul Replica'. What a rider he was and not to be forgotten- right serious ripper and that bike also.
Thing was so quick that only the really quick lads could handle it- like Paul.
Probably not many of those bikes around now but they were seriously quick.

|

Always was an excellent rider ...... at crashing usually

Moto Aspes, you know you want one