Faircross Race Report

zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 11:43am
I left the Dallas area around 9am Friday. On the way there I spotted the most knar truck ever
Photobucket
If you cant tell, it is lowered and has skulls everywhere. Epic.
I finally arrived in Beautiful Mountain home around 3:30 PM. It is a really nice place and my crappy picture doesnt do it justice
Photobucket
I give Huck a call and head out to the track to take a look. The weather has clearly taken its toll. You might have seen his pictures last week, the place was a mess. When I got there around 4, Huck and his crew had the finish line built and the rhythm section layed out. It was clear they were going to be working non-stop until late at night. I left for dinner around 530 and it started raining, I felt really bad for Huck and his crew now. Saturday comes around and I get to the track right at noon. They had got quite a bit done since I last saw it, they had a good set of whoops, the rhythm section was closer to completion, the starting line was set up, and the berm leading into the finish was done. I talked to Huck for a bit, and he said they were there until midnight. The crew worked hard to get it set-up in time
Photobucket
To their credit they got it all done with just about 30 minutes behind schedule, not bad considering how un-cooperative the weather was being.
Whoops
Photobucket
Rhythm
Photobucket
Pro practice was up first. Green and Painter were clearly the favorites. Due to all the rain the rhythm section was super soft and developed ruts quickly, some of the pros were struggling. The rhythm section was intended to be; Double, triple, double. Green did it that way once, he was the only one I saw try it successfully.
My practice began with Huck on the line with me. I struggled through the whoops and tried to rhythm through them towards the end. This did not work and I stalled my bike. After kicking it forever I got it started and played blockpass with Huck for a few corners.
Huck followed by myself through the whoops
Photobucket
(yes, this is a picture of a picture)
Up next was the beginner practice. If ive learned one thing from my love of AX style races it is this, beginners+arenacross=magic. This practice did not disappoint. One kid decided to pin i through the whoops on the first lap. He got some serious speed going through the last five and whiskey throttled the berm into the announcers area
Photobucket
I saw him walking through the pits later and other then some scratches he looked fine, but I think his bike broke as he didnt race later on.
During the riders meeting Huck and his crew had tons of stuff to give out. Countless tees, hats, stickers, and cuzees (I dont know how to spell that, but the things you wrap around your drinks to keep them cold). They even threw some goggles out which I caught but were quickly stolen from me (lil bastards if I ever found out who it was...)I also "won" a tube, which essentially covers my race entry fee, thanks huck!
After the riders meeting the race order was handed out, sadly in my class, it was just myself and one other person, youre either first or last. Since my class was so small our heat race was paired up with the Over 25 class and Over 30. Huck gave himself last gate pick which would put him in the second row. Poor misguided fool started behind me. I wheelied down the start straight, I dont think ive done that since I was 15. I came out of the whoops a little hot, and the person in front of me was going pretty slow through the corner, we hit and my front forks caught on his peg
Photobucket
Evidence of a poorly fought battle, those are scratches, not dirt. While trying to restart my bike I hear the announcer mention the troubles Im having getting restarted. I finally get going a lap behind everyone else.
Some other noteworthy classes. In one of the ATV classes, a kid was on a hunting style ATV, he quickly became my favorite. In the girls class a younger girl on a 60 was battleing with an older girl on a 250F. It was a surprisingly good battle with the girl on the 60 eventually passing and pulling away. The pro class was a bit of a bummer, they put up a good sized pro purse for only 2 in one class and 6 in the other. There was a pretty hilarious costume race with all sorts of whacky costumes, my favorite being the disco 70s guy.
Time for the main events and the temperature has dropped significantly. During the first half of the show there was a solid attendance of people just there to watch, much more then I normally see then in the Dallas area. After the pitbike races and FMX demo many people left, no doubt to to the cold.
My race starts and it is now just the novice class and over 25, they left the over 30 for their own class. I stayed with the other novice rider for quite some time and even started to pressure him a bit. Unfortunately he figured out where I was gaining on him and started to pull away at the end. I would be getting last, but if it's any consolation (and it is) I know that in a couple of years I will be competitive with the over 25 class, score. I was last out of my class, but we stayed ahead of the over 25 group.
The Faircross offered up some very well done plaques
Photobucket
This is my second place (aka last place) plaque.

All in all it was a very fun event, and I hope they have it again next year. As a side note, noticeably missing from the event, Kawrider9, im calling you out.

|
WSR
10/19/2009 4:45am
Good report.
That bikes looks like a display up there with that Yamaha banner.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
10/19/2009 5:09am
WSR wrote:
Good report.
That bikes looks like a display up there with that Yamaha banner.
haha yeah it kind of does
kaw rider9
10/19/2009 5:51am
Very good report. I'm glad ya had a good time!
txmxer
10/19/2009 6:05am
that's cool. Sounds like fun.

The Shop

huck
10/19/2009 6:14am
Great report zook...honda rider. :-)

Thanks for coming up. I too was disappointed with the pro turnout, but what's a promoter to do? After all was counted yesterday, we had about 1400 spectators there and 87 race entries. Not a bad turnout with all things considered (Razorback/Florida game, cold as heck, hunting season opening....).

The kid on the camo atv is the kid that wrote the letter to the local newspaper a couple years ago to voice his unhappiness that the race wasn't going to happen. He also raced in the 125/250F class on a TT-r 125. Yesterday, his family (mom, dad (who is a vet in town), 2 sister and him) were there at 9:00 am to pick up trash. They spent about 3 hours cleaning that place up. It looked awesome!!! They left and came back around 5:00 pm when we were getting close to having things smoothed out. We couldn't get the tractor going, so they offered to go home and get their tractor and box blade. About 15 minutes later here they come. They unloaded and Grant (the 14 year old) drove around for the next couple hours smoothing things out. He helped out a lot!!!!

Another of my favorites in the race was the 3 year old boy on the ATV. He actually went around pretty good!

Anyway, thanks again for coming. I hope the tube fit your bike. Kind of odd that you "won" that... lol

zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
10/19/2009 6:25am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:49am
Pros definetly missed out on a good oppurtunity, if it happens again next year I will for sure talk it up more around here. Thats a super strong attendance, not bad at all

Thats awesome of the family, really cool of them. I thought that was him on the TTR, I was stoked with him going for the last double in the rhythm section, ive tried jumping one of those before, it is no easy task. I was also blown away thathe could get around the track on that ATV, it takes some balls.

Totally forgot to mention the little guy on the ATV, the kid actually had to stand the whole time because the ATV was so big. No way I would have tried that if I were in his shoes, that first double in the rhythm was peaked, was awesome to watch.

It is indeed a perfect fit, gracias senior. Thank you for all the hard work, I had a blast and will be back.
ktm300hater
10/19/2009 7:11am
I would have brought my son for the pro race, but he just got his cast off on wednesday and his thumb is pretty weak... Next year for sure, Zookrider knows my kid
huck
10/19/2009 7:14am
Great. Any pro that showed up with a 250f and 450f would have made $300.00 just to line up...
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
10/19/2009 7:36am
Huck, you better be careful with the 3yr old and an ATV.

That is a lawsuit waiting to happen...
88sdad
10/19/2009 7:52am
tcannon521 wrote:
Huck, you better be careful with the 3yr old and an ATV.

That is a lawsuit waiting to happen...
That was the first thing I thought... A 3 y/o on a quad?

Then I remembered my son on a pw 50 with training wheels at 3, go figure.

tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
10/19/2009 8:15am
PW50's aren't regulated by the Gov.

ATV's are, it will say right on the fender no one under 6...
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
10/19/2009 8:21am
Huck I think I told you about Haters kid, he wanted to come out but he just recently got his cast off. I would like to see how he would have done against them, watching him from some other AX races I think he would have been right there with Painter and Green.
huck
10/19/2009 8:23am
Huck I think I told you about Haters kid, he wanted to come out but he just recently got his cast off. I would like to...
Huck I think I told you about Haters kid, he wanted to come out but he just recently got his cast off. I would like to see how he would have done against them, watching him from some other AX races I think he would have been right there with Painter and Green.
Yeah, I think Green got a lead and just maintained. I would have liked to see him "pushed".
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
10/19/2009 8:31am
Huck I think I told you about Haters kid, he wanted to come out but he just recently got his cast off. I would like to...
huck wrote:
Yeah, I think Green got a lead and just maintained. I would have liked to see him "pushed".
Indeed. In the heat he actually stalled and still won if im not mistaken. I had some friends there watching and it was funny to see how quickly they realized which was the pro class by whoops speed. As a side note, Taylors bikes were absolutely gorgeous.
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
10/19/2009 8:51am
Great Ride Report
jndmx
10/19/2009 11:05am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:49am
Sounds like a good time to me....

That YZ sitting up on the fence is friggin classic, funny because he didn't get hurt.
There has to be video of this kid launching somewhere, heck that might rival "Brandon's first race"
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
10/19/2009 11:09am Edited Date/Time 10/19/2009 11:11am
jndmx wrote:
Sounds like a good time to me.... That YZ sitting up on the fence is friggin classic, funny because he didn't get hurt. There has to...

That YZ sitting up on the fence is friggin classic, funny because he didn't get hurt.
There has to be video of this kid launching somewhere, heck that might rival "Brandon's first race"
It most certainly did rival it. Im sitting there eating some subway and see him going waaaaaay to fast. Im sitting there and all I can think is, this is going to be a disaster. Fortunately the kid had ninja like skills and jumped off his dirt scooter onto the announcing tower. The amount of gasps and people standing was pretty amazing. It was pretty interesting watching him just chill up there for a bit
jndmx
10/19/2009 11:12am
jndmx wrote:
Sounds like a good time to me.... That YZ sitting up on the fence is friggin classic, funny because he didn't get hurt. There has to...

It most certainly did rival it. Im sitting there eating some subway and see him going waaaaaay to fast. Im sitting there and all I can...
It most certainly did rival it. Im sitting there eating some subway and see him going waaaaaay to fast. Im sitting there and all I can think is, this is going to be a disaster. Fortunately the kid had ninja like skills and jumped off his dirt scooter onto the announcing tower. The amount of gasps and people standing was pretty amazing. It was pretty interesting watching him just chill up there for a bit
That's what I was thinking.....must have sounded like a fireworks show when he launched "Ooooooohhhh!!"
MXATC
Fantasy
2394th
10/19/2009 11:29am
Sorry I didn't get to make it Huck. Food poisoning over the weekend will do it everytime. Nice report from Zook. Thanks for sharing!!
10/19/2009 11:36am
I'll definately throw some swag your way next year Huck, I hadn't had a chance to re-stock t-shirts in time to send some out your way this year.

Hell, I would have raced the Vet and Pro classes just to give some filler.... just so long of a drive... but it does sound like fun... maybe, just maybe I'll come next year and ride.

Post a reply to: Faircross Race Report

The Latest