Fair price for an Alta now that company has folded

OT
Fantasy
3031st
5/12/2019 11:54pm
Wonder what the Honda will be called, CR-E?
5/13/2019 12:17am Edited Date/Time 5/13/2019 9:27am
Not looking for thumbs up lol, just genuinely curious what these bikes are realistically worth right now. Some of the $10,000 price tags seem ridiculous to...
Not looking for thumbs up lol, just genuinely curious what these bikes are realistically worth right now. Some of the $10,000 price tags seem ridiculous to me given the current state of affairs.

I think $7000 for the latest model MXR would be fair and even cheaper for the mx and older models. You have to take into consideration that after Honda comes out with their electric mx'er the Alta will literally be worthless. Zero resale value. Nobody will buy a left over Alta that a dealer has been sitting on for a few years over the new Honda. And most of the current Alta owners will probably jump ship due the parts and support situation.

The only appeal/worth they have now is that there is nothing else like it but buying one seems like a "till death do us part" situation as they would be extremely tough, if not impossible, to re sell once the big manufacturers come out with their electric mx models.
If i were to list my bike right now, there's no way in hell i'd sell my MXR for only $7000. That's crazy talk. They are...
If i were to list my bike right now, there's no way in hell i'd sell my MXR for only $7000. That's crazy talk. They are easily worth $9000 used and even more if you get your hands on a BRAND NEW one. I'd pay $10k right now for another brand new one.

These bikes don't get slower with age like a gas bike does. It literally performs exactly the same as the day i bought it with 0 hours on it, and will continue doing so for over 500 hours EASILY. Think about that.

Its simple supply and demand really. There are only 886 total VIN#'s of Altas, and probably something like ONLY 750 complete bikes exist worldwide. The bike is fantastic. The bike is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay. How badly do you want one?
You've definitely intrigued me with your inputs, Bryan! The engineer in me gets excited about the cool technology. Probably the only thing holding me back is...
You've definitely intrigued me with your inputs, Bryan! The engineer in me gets excited about the cool technology. Probably the only thing holding me back is the fear of not having the time to chase difficult-to-find parts....
The bike was apparently great. And I am sure the user community has lots of top engineering professionals. I am sure part of the reason why an engineering-focused community bought it is because it was so well engineered.

The other big driver in buying it was,because it was well-engineered, it should be hassle free. This has been said all over. So, now we have the hassle-free engineer buyer trying to reverse-engineer and build custom components. Keep in mind these guys bought the platform to avoid maintenance. They already see enough kludgy solutions in their day jobs. They don't want to spend their after-hours engineering equally kludgy solutions on a retired dirt bike.

I am not saying there aren't ways to keep this apparently great platform on life-support. I am just saying, assuming some random dudes will do it simply because it is good, because they bought one, or because they are capable is a bit spurious.
FARANG
5/13/2019 12:32am
FARANG wrote:
Don't bother. I just picked up a cheap 2019 kx250f to keep me going 2-3 years until the electric crf comes out. I think we are...
Don't bother. I just picked up a cheap 2019 kx250f to keep me going 2-3 years until the electric crf comes out.

I think we are approaching the changeover from 4t to electric, much as we approached the change from 2t to 4t 20 years ago.
Not happening.
I remember thinking the same thing when I heard 2 strokes were going to be replaced (for the most part) by 4 strokes.

I'm not saying that it will happen overnight but it's certainly a case of "when", not "if".

I wouldn't be surprised to see the CR-E on sale within 3 years, maybe a 2023 model. So unless you're desperate for an electric MX bike, it might be better to wait a bit. I currently have a 2001 CR125R, a 2018 KLX140G and a 2019 KX250F. I won't be selling any of them but if the CR-E turns out to be near enough on par with the Alta and it's around the 10K mark then I'll definitely buy one.
tacquilano
5/13/2019 3:16am
Just as the title states. I've wanted one of these bikes in the worst way since they've been in existence. There seems to still be dealers...
Just as the title states. I've wanted one of these bikes in the worst way since they've been in existence. There seems to still be dealers sitting on them but some of the prices I'm seeing are asinine in my opinion. Average I'm seeing is 10 grand and there is no way in hell I would pay that with parts availability and tech support now being non existent.

Curious as to what you guys think is a fair price for these bikes now that the company folded. I found a dealer in Texas that has a 2017 listed for $7500 so I sent a message stating if they do the bike plus shipping cost to PA for $7500 I might be interested.

I'm prepared for the shit storm of "I wouldn't pay $5 for one" comments. Also, I don't want a 125 and I promise to water my track so let 'er rip!

Don't get the 2017. The 2018 MXR is much better if you can find one.

The Shop

5/13/2019 3:47am
Not looking for thumbs up lol, just genuinely curious what these bikes are realistically worth right now. Some of the $10,000 price tags seem ridiculous to...
Not looking for thumbs up lol, just genuinely curious what these bikes are realistically worth right now. Some of the $10,000 price tags seem ridiculous to me given the current state of affairs.

I think $7000 for the latest model MXR would be fair and even cheaper for the mx and older models. You have to take into consideration that after Honda comes out with their electric mx'er the Alta will literally be worthless. Zero resale value. Nobody will buy a left over Alta that a dealer has been sitting on for a few years over the new Honda. And most of the current Alta owners will probably jump ship due the parts and support situation.

The only appeal/worth they have now is that there is nothing else like it but buying one seems like a "till death do us part" situation as they would be extremely tough, if not impossible, to re sell once the big manufacturers come out with their electric mx models.
If i were to list my bike right now, there's no way in hell i'd sell my MXR for only $7000. That's crazy talk. They are...
If i were to list my bike right now, there's no way in hell i'd sell my MXR for only $7000. That's crazy talk. They are easily worth $9000 used and even more if you get your hands on a BRAND NEW one. I'd pay $10k right now for another brand new one.

These bikes don't get slower with age like a gas bike does. It literally performs exactly the same as the day i bought it with 0 hours on it, and will continue doing so for over 500 hours EASILY. Think about that.

Its simple supply and demand really. There are only 886 total VIN#'s of Altas, and probably something like ONLY 750 complete bikes exist worldwide. The bike is fantastic. The bike is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay. How badly do you want one?
You are so brainwashed, it is hilarious. Your bike will absolutely get slower. Throw a new piston in that gas bike and it's like new again. The battery gets weaker and so does the magnetic rotor inside the motor. Just speaking from 20 something years of working on and racing with electric technology.
MOTO732
5/13/2019 4:57am
Depends where you live and if there's a dealer nearby that has parts. I live in the miwest so I wouldn't buy one at any price. Just to risky buying a proprietary bike from a defunct manufacturer.
Fourth_Floor
5/13/2019 6:19am
MOTO732 wrote:
Depends where you live and if there's a dealer nearby that has parts. I live in the miwest so I wouldn't buy one at any price...
Depends where you live and if there's a dealer nearby that has parts. I live in the miwest so I wouldn't buy one at any price. Just to risky buying a proprietary bike from a defunct manufacturer.
Definitely no dealers nearby. Motocross has gone the way of the dodo bird in this part of the state.
Fourth_Floor
5/13/2019 6:30am Edited Date/Time 5/13/2019 6:36am
I'm not holding my breath for the CR-E. They already said they are targeting 250F-like performance. The MXR blows a 250F's doors off... its not even...
I'm not holding my breath for the CR-E. They already said they are targeting 250F-like performance. The MXR blows a 250F's doors off... its not even close. I wouldnt be surprised if it takes 5 more years to see another electric bike perform as well as the MXR.
I don't know man, I don't see Honda screwing the pooch on the CR-E. Just seems like too big of a company to be putting out a turd and I'm sure they have full on intentions of racing it. It may not be as powerful as the MXR but if they are targeting 250F like performance and can somehow get the weight way down from the Alta then I can see it being a pretty fun bike. From what I read, the weight of the Alta doesn't seem very noticeable to many while riding it, but it will be noticeable if you crash and the bike smacks you. I had a Cannondale back in the day and that thought always freaked me out because that bike was pushing 280lbs or something crazy and the possibility of getting pile drived by it was sketchy to say the least.

Only shitty thing is the waiting game. Like you said, it could be 5 more years and I'm not getting any younger.
5/13/2019 7:11am
I don't know man, I don't see Honda screwing the pooch on the CR-E. Just seems like too big of a company to be putting out...
I don't know man, I don't see Honda screwing the pooch on the CR-E. Just seems like too big of a company to be putting out a turd and I'm sure they have full on intentions of racing it. It may not be as powerful as the MXR but if they are targeting 250F like performance and can somehow get the weight way down from the Alta then I can see it being a pretty fun bike. From what I read, the weight of the Alta doesn't seem very noticeable to many while riding it, but it will be noticeable if you crash and the bike smacks you. I had a Cannondale back in the day and that thought always freaked me out because that bike was pushing 280lbs or something crazy and the possibility of getting pile drived by it was sketchy to say the least.

Only shitty thing is the waiting game. Like you said, it could be 5 more years and I'm not getting any younger.
I own a 125 and and a 450 alongside my MXR. The only time you really feel the weight of the MXR is on the stand. Its roughly 15 lbs heavier than a gassed up 450. However, since there's almost 0 engine inertia with an electric motor the MXR feels very nimble and free at speed. Definitely feels lighter than my 450 when i'm riding it. Not quite 125 like, but make 250 2-stroke like handling. Not to mention is has more traction than a 450 and doesn't get bent out of shape in the rough stuff like a 450 can at times.

These are all my personal experiences on my bikes, btw. I'm not just spitting out BS. I'll be the first person to call out flaws as i see them, because thats the engineer in me (although i'm a software engineer).

For example, I ride more on the balls of my feet on the Alta than my other bikes, especially on the left side since theres no shift lever to deal with and no need to slide the left foot forward. One design flaw of the Alta is in the counter sprocket cover. There's a little gap between the lower and middle mounting point by the footpeg where the toebox of my left boot gets hungup in at times. I'm working on 3d printing a replacement cover that covers up that gap... i'd have it finished already but my printer has been acting up lately.

Here's a pic to show you what i'm talking about:

Fog 25
Fantasy
1445th
5/13/2019 10:27am
Since all of the all the Alta owners are paying two times retail on the left over parts. I’d say at least three times retail on a whole bike. ?
Better snap one up before they get into the collectible price range. ?
Fourth_Floor
5/13/2019 12:23pm
Fog 25 wrote:
Since all of the all the Alta owners are paying two times retail on the left over parts. I’d say at least three times retail on...
Since all of the all the Alta owners are paying two times retail on the left over parts. I’d say at least three times retail on a whole bike. ?
Better snap one up before they get into the collectible price range. ?
There's a difference though. A current Alta owner *needs* said part. They have money tied up into the machine and if it comes between paying extra to fix the bike or have a fancy looking paper weight they are going to pay whatever to fix the bike.

I don't *need* an Alta and have no skin in the game. Suggesting the dealers should be putting $30,000 price tags on their left over stock seems crazy to me. Unless you are a current Alta owner, absolutely love the bike and wake up in cold sweats at night to the thought of something going wrong with it and not being able to fix it then some of these $10,000+ price tags might be worth it to you to have a spare bike. I don't, however, see an average Joe going out and spending that kind of money on a bike that no longer has a manufacturer to back it. Maybe I'm just a cheap skate but that seems like a really poor investment to me.

I had one of the early Cannondale MX 400's and grendaded the motor the 3rd ride. I was so sick to my stomach. Here I just spent all this money on this bike, the engine is toast and nobody knows how to work on the damn thing. Luckily, Cannondale agreed to take that bike back and replace it, free of charge, for one of their newer X 440 models. Yeah that bikes sucked but at least there was manufacturer support. Not comparing the Cannondale to the Alta as the Alta's seem pretty reliable, but it's not impossible to crash one and destroy the dash. What do you do then?
5/13/2019 3:02pm
There's a difference though. A current Alta owner *needs* said part. They have money tied up into the machine and if it comes between paying extra...
There's a difference though. A current Alta owner *needs* said part. They have money tied up into the machine and if it comes between paying extra to fix the bike or have a fancy looking paper weight they are going to pay whatever to fix the bike.

I don't *need* an Alta and have no skin in the game. Suggesting the dealers should be putting $30,000 price tags on their left over stock seems crazy to me. Unless you are a current Alta owner, absolutely love the bike and wake up in cold sweats at night to the thought of something going wrong with it and not being able to fix it then some of these $10,000+ price tags might be worth it to you to have a spare bike. I don't, however, see an average Joe going out and spending that kind of money on a bike that no longer has a manufacturer to back it. Maybe I'm just a cheap skate but that seems like a really poor investment to me.

I had one of the early Cannondale MX 400's and grendaded the motor the 3rd ride. I was so sick to my stomach. Here I just spent all this money on this bike, the engine is toast and nobody knows how to work on the damn thing. Luckily, Cannondale agreed to take that bike back and replace it, free of charge, for one of their newer X 440 models. Yeah that bikes sucked but at least there was manufacturer support. Not comparing the Cannondale to the Alta as the Alta's seem pretty reliable, but it's not impossible to crash one and destroy the dash. What do you do then?
Not impossible, but its more likely on the EXR where the display is out front of the handlebars / behind the light/number plate. On the MXR, its mounted in the barpad, so likely its protected in a crash. I had a bad crash when i first got my bike and the display was fine.

That said, there's currently a method for fixing displays. Its $400-450 for the replacement parts.

https://altaownersforum.com/resources/categories/alta-electronics.5/

There's also a forum member selling display armor to protect a good working display.

https://altaownersforum.com/threads/display-guard-protect-it-from-crash…

A few members have decided to relocate the display to a safer location.

Post a reply to: Fair price for an Alta now that company has folded

The Latest