Fair price for an Alta now that company has folded

Related:
Create New Tag

5/10/2019 10:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/10/2019 10:03 PM

Just as the title states. I've wanted one of these bikes in the worst way since they've been in existence. There seems to still be dealers sitting on them but some of the prices I'm seeing are asinine in my opinion. Average I'm seeing is 10 grand and there is no way in hell I would pay that with parts availability and tech support now being non existent.

Curious as to what you guys think is a fair price for these bikes now that the company folded. I found a dealer in Texas that has a 2017 listed for $7500 so I sent a message stating if they do the bike plus shipping cost to PA for $7500 I might be interested.

I'm prepared for the shit storm of "I wouldn't pay $5 for one" comments. Also, I don't want a 125 and I promise to water my track so let 'er rip!

|

5/10/2019 10:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/10/2019 10:28 PM

If parts availability and support is non existent then I consider that a huge risk. Should something go wrong with the motor, you'll find yourself in a bad spot.

Do some due diligence and ensure a dealer, or wherever you buy from can guarantee after market support. If not then don't pull the trigger on one.

Don't know how old you are but the next generation of Elec bikes are around the corner. Won't be long until you have choices between brands - it will be worth waiting for.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

5/10/2019 10:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/10/2019 10:47 PM

I was looking when they folded.
Started looking again after the Honda vid came out a couple weeks ago.
Yes, the prices are redonkulous.
Would stand to reason the dealers paid a big number for their units.
No support or not I’m guessing their plan is to find a not informed buyer and minimize their loss.

If the control panel/dash gets damaged, shows over.
Only solution then is someone parting one out.
That in mind, I’d maybe pay $5000 for one and take my chance I could resell in a few years for a couple g’s.

After typing that out and re-reading, nah, too much downside.
I’ll wait for the Honda

|

5/10/2019 10:57 PM

Don't bother. I just picked up a cheap 2019 kx250f to keep me going 2-3 years until the electric crf comes out.

I think we are approaching the changeover from 4t to electric, much as we approached the change from 2t to 4t 20 years ago.

|

5/10/2019 11:39 PM

I found an Alta owners forum and after reading on there I talked myself right out of it. Those poor guys are fucked. Can't even get plastics for them and the battery build is way more sophisticated than I imagined so trying to rebuild a pack would be impossible. Going to have to wait for the Honda I guess.

|

5/10/2019 11:46 PM

Fourth_Floor wrote:

I found an Alta owners forum and after reading on there I talked myself right out of it. Those poor guys are fucked. Can't even get plastics for them and the battery build is way more sophisticated than I imagined so trying to rebuild a pack would be impossible. Going to have to wait for the Honda I guess.

Good call mate.

Nothing against Alta and the chaps who built them and it is a crying shame that they folded. Here's hoping that they can find Investment to open shop again.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

5/11/2019 12:27 AM

It depends on what you intend to do with it. Ride it every week or once a month?

I would not buy an Alta if i would intend to use it as a main bike every week because of the lacking spare parts. But as a "collectors" item that hits the track a couple of times a year, why not?

|

5/11/2019 12:43 AM

Probably worth even more now that you cant buy them new... Im sure parts wont be impossible to come across in the future

|

"Are you kidding me guy? You know how hard I grease it"

5/11/2019 5:35 AM

Wait till they start collecting dust and get moved into the storage room like Cannondales, then swoop in and buy away.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

5/11/2019 5:40 AM

I wouldnt even buy an alta. 100% chance a dirtbike breaks in some fashion. If you cant fix it what good is it?

|

5/11/2019 5:50 AM

Fourth_Floor wrote:

I think you made a wise decision.

There is just to much risk and down side to buying one. honestly a new one to me is worth $2500 no more.

The dealers don't want to lose their ass but it's already happened.

|

5/11/2019 5:56 AM

I would think its only worth at this point is as a collectable not as a bike you rode.

|

5/11/2019 7:02 AM

dcg141 wrote:

I would think its only worth at this point is as a collectable not as a bike you rode.

I agree. I would absolutely buy one just to sit and look pretty in my man cave, but it would have to be at fire-sale prices. I never saw (or paid attention to) Cannondale's getting blown out for pennies on the dollar after they pulled the plug on their moto bikes.

|

5/11/2019 7:07 AM

There are still some brand new, dust covered Cannondales out there, 10-15 years later, Alta will be the same. A few years from now, we will see Altas being blown out from dealers when all hope is finally lost.

|

5/11/2019 7:08 AM

15 to 20 cents on the dollar

|

5/11/2019 7:22 AM

As an owner of an EMTB I can 100% say I’d not buy it with no warranties, let alone parts backup or tech support.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5/11/2019 7:27 AM

BR8ES wrote:

There are still some brand new, dust covered Cannondales out there, 10-15 years later, Alta will be the same. A few years from now, we will see Altas being blown out from dealers when all hope is finally lost.

Out of curiosity, where are these brand new Cannondales at? Didn't ATK buy everything up, and are still supporting these bikes?

|

5/11/2019 7:33 AM

The Alta stuff was and is still very cool. Building something like that and seeing it compete at RBSR was an achievement.
I salute the guys on here that bought one and the ride reports they shared. Riding on my own property is a dream still and those bikes enabled that

At this point though, I'm reminded of a Daymond John saying from Shark Tank. Pioneers starve - Settlers Thrive.

|

5/11/2019 8:18 AM

BR8ES wrote:

KHI Guy wrote:

Out of curiosity, where are these brand new Cannondales at? Didn't ATK buy everything up, and are still supporting these bikes?

Various Dealers, many of which are word of mouth, etc. Fred's in Syracuse is one that comes to mind.

|

5/11/2019 8:43 AM

Boomslang wrote:

If parts availability and support is non existent then I consider that a huge risk. Should something go wrong with the motor, you'll find yourself in a bad spot.

Do some due diligence and ensure a dealer, or wherever you buy from can guarantee after market support. If not then don't pull the trigger on one.

Don't know how old you are but the next generation of Elec bikes are around the corner. Won't be long until you have choices between brands - it will be worth waiting for.

You mentioned the motor, but that would be easy to replace, or in fact, upgrade. Same can be said for the batt and speed controller...

The parts that will be hard will be things like a chassis or swingarm....

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

5/11/2019 8:46 AM

You guys know where I can get a DeLorean?

|

5/11/2019 9:13 AM

disbanded wrote:

You guys know where I can get a DeLorean?

Easy!

https://www.delorean.com/

You need parts or a whole car?cool

|

You kids get off my lawn!

2013 KTM450 Factory Edition
Projects......lots of projects!

5/11/2019 9:53 AM

BR8ES wrote:

Wait till they start collecting dust and get moved into the storage room like Cannondales, then swoop in and buy away.

I gave away 15 cannondales most for less than haf what I paid for them

|

5/11/2019 9:53 AM

Visited the Alta forum myself, really gutted for them honestly. I would hate to be in that position.

One things for certain, Alta has (had?) a loyal user base.

|

If talk is cheap, silence must be expensive because nobody can afford it!

5/11/2019 10:18 AM

Boomslang wrote:

gt80rider wrote:

You mentioned the motor, but that would be easy to replace, or in fact, upgrade. Same can be said for the batt and speed controller...

I don't know enough about the motors but can only assume a replacement unit will be expensive and that is if there are units available. Furthermore, how does one modify or upgrade an electric motor?

As for the chassis, it is like the rest of the bikes.
Plenty of aftermarket odds n bobs.

I may be misinformed, so don't hold me to the above.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

5/11/2019 10:22 AM

One crash that takes out the display screen and your fucked...the parts availability alone would keep me from buying one. Wait for Honda...

|

5/11/2019 10:25 AM

BR8ES wrote:

pete24 wrote:

Exactly. That is the future for this stock as well or let 'em collect dust in hope of finding that special buyer.

|

5/11/2019 11:02 AM

Honda electric is coming but so is the big price tag. I wouldn't be surprised with 15k price tag.

|

5/11/2019 11:06 AM

BR8ES wrote:

pete24 wrote:

Sorry for your lost. I was certain they would hit it out of the park with that bike

|

5/11/2019 11:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/11/2019 3:22 PM

Boomslang wrote:

gt80rider wrote:

How would the motor be easy to replace or, in fact, upgrade? It's housing and water jackets are cast into the frame.

How is the battery pack easy to replace or, in fact, upgrade? It is a proprietary design with a complex pack and form factor.

And I'll bite on the motor controller. What "upgrade" is there complete with developed motocross power maps?

This was a ground-up engineered platform. You can't just slap some stuff ordered from Alibaba on it, and even if you could, you certainly wouldn't call that an upgrade.

|