Failed to speak with my wallet

Sacko
Edited Date/Time 8/6/2021 8:03pm
Walked into a dealership with 10k cash and walked out with 10k Cash. Such a shame we are where we are. I've been lucky enough to get a new 450 each year from the same dealership for the above amount for 7 years in a row now and apparently loyalty means nothing. I know they can get much more selling a bike to anyone else in these times but I thought it would carry some weight that I've been very loyal to this dealership year after year and made sure I had their back in times when it wasn't so easy to sell bikes and now when they finally have the upper hand that loyalty means nothing. I don't even want to name the dealership and single them out because I'm confident they are all the same. Such a shame. I feel confident at that price they are making money and I can, at the end of the year, not completely lose my ass selling it. Are there any good dealerships left that care about relationships? Sorry guys just had to vent.
|
Bruce372
7/30/2021 4:10pm
Sorry to hear that dude, nothing worse than failure to launch. I went to see a 300 on here once and couldn't get the money out the bank in time lol and missed it.

If we're you, just go to the manufacturer web site, put in your zip and start calling asking for otd price. You'll snag something if yoh do the work. Cash should nearly always be king... unless they wanna make money from finance, then just go that route and pay it off
LKHill
7/30/2021 4:25pm
The problem is the MFG's have pulled the incentives from the dealers. They must now charge retail to make up for the lost rebates.
Moto520
7/30/2021 4:35pm
I know it sucks but they just need to keep the lights on with no/ low inventory. The extra $1000 that they can make on that bike is crucial right now. I’d be bummed as well and your relationship absolutely means more than that but someone messed up.
Hi Side
7/30/2021 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2021 4:44pm
Unfortunately, there’s very little to no loyalty when it comes to money. I absolutely understand dealerships need to make money but this short supply chain isn’t going to last forever. Lots of people feel alienated by their dealerships and will spend their money elsewhere.

The Shop

yzf162
7/30/2021 4:52pm
I get it went to grab a 2020 yzf and got told to kick rocks
I mean its not like i haven't bought 2 bikes cash gotten almost all of my maintenance parts and supplys there. Sold 3 bikes 2 450's and a 250 for good money for them. Got a buddy to let them sell his boat so they made 5% on 40k. got them at last count just over another 3 k in parts from people. Even better the lady i always work with called me 5 months later. "Bike just sold for 400 more then you offered. They lost all your business to gain 400." And she's right will never go there again even if it means riding or not.
captmoto
7/30/2021 5:17pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2021 5:18pm
Sacko wrote:
Walked into a dealership with 10k cash and walked out with 10k Cash. Such a shame we are where we are. I've been lucky enough to...
Walked into a dealership with 10k cash and walked out with 10k Cash. Such a shame we are where we are. I've been lucky enough to get a new 450 each year from the same dealership for the above amount for 7 years in a row now and apparently loyalty means nothing. I know they can get much more selling a bike to anyone else in these times but I thought it would carry some weight that I've been very loyal to this dealership year after year and made sure I had their back in times when it wasn't so easy to sell bikes and now when they finally have the upper hand that loyalty means nothing. I don't even want to name the dealership and single them out because I'm confident they are all the same. Such a shame. I feel confident at that price they are making money and I can, at the end of the year, not completely lose my ass selling it. Are there any good dealerships left that care about relationships? Sorry guys just had to vent.
This post is worthless without names. Also, cash is not king to a dealer. They make money on finance. Should have offered to finance it and then pay it off when the first payment came due.
APLMAN99
7/30/2021 5:21pm
Sacko wrote:
Walked into a dealership with 10k cash and walked out with 10k Cash. Such a shame we are where we are. I've been lucky enough to...
Couple of things:

Speaking with your wallet means purchasing a two stroke

You had a dealer that sold you a 450 for $10K every year for the last 7 years, and you don’t ever think that the price may eventually increase?

Assuming that you’ve sold your past 5 or 6 of those, have you not increased your selling price of them to reflect actual market value?
crowe660
Fantasy
4066th
7/30/2021 5:23pm
I went to a local shop today for oil, and I it didn’t look like they were even in business anymore. I was surprised when I walked up, the door was open. inside they had a cruiser and a snowmobile and a YZ with a sold tag.

Shitty time to buy a bike. Everything is sold before it gets to the dealership.

I’d start looking out of state first just to save on state tax if you’re not planning on titling it.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
7/30/2021 5:32pm
That bike you bought for 10k 7 years ago would be over 11k today. You can't expect them to keep taking your 10k year after year.
Deadric
Fantasy
4155th
7/30/2021 5:39pm
colintrax wrote:
That bike you bought for 10k 7 years ago would be over 11k today. You can't expect them to keep taking your 10k year after year.
That said though when that 10k bike didnt sell it you could find them half a year later for 5.5-6k OTD so they absolutely had some wiggle room in there.

Years worth of loyalty should count for a little bit but right now they also have zero reason to negotiate. They could charge 15k for a new bike, someone desperate for a bike will buy it with how limited stocks are.
NewOldSchool
7/30/2021 5:42pm
I would consider the situation they may be in right now. Supply chains have been disrupted and I doubt they have inventory or have for a while. Without inventory they aren’t making money so what they do have they need as much as they can get and it seems like they can get it from someone. I can’t blame them if they haven’t had the inventory to make money off of to pay bills.
7/30/2021 6:04pm
No price increase for 7 years seems pretty good, tough to give a bike away at no profit these days when there is no stock available to make it up on volume. Are you going to keep their lights on and feed their workers families on your own when they have no bikes, parts or accessories to sell due to all the supply chain issues everyone is up against now? Times are different.
I also don't know if I would view buying a few bikes they may have had sitting as being loyal to them either. Maybe they were more loyal to you in those years by giving you a better deal then most?? and now you feel entitled. In the end, if you want a deal, what value do you bring to them that may offset the reduced profit? Its still just business and loyalty doesn't keep the lights on by giving profit away.
Lots of threads lately whining about prices of bikes. Don't like it, don't buy. But don't expect a business to make poor financial decisions just because you think you deserve it.
Meister
7/30/2021 6:13pm
I get it.

However, if you paid 10k 7 years ago, you weren't getting a deal then either.
kb228
7/30/2021 6:23pm
Theyre a business dude. If they cant make margins they arent doing the deal. Giving product away is how you lose money. Its business dont take it personally
7/30/2021 6:41pm
Failure was trying to buy a 4 stroke with your wallet.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
7/30/2021 7:50pm
Saying no to a sale price you don't want speaks with your wallet as well, legitimately. A good part of smart sales is the ability to say no, on both sides.
BAD10
7/30/2021 7:51pm
No price increase for 7 years seems pretty good, tough to give a bike away at no profit these days when there is no stock available...
No price increase for 7 years seems pretty good, tough to give a bike away at no profit these days when there is no stock available to make it up on volume. Are you going to keep their lights on and feed their workers families on your own when they have no bikes, parts or accessories to sell due to all the supply chain issues everyone is up against now? Times are different.
I also don't know if I would view buying a few bikes they may have had sitting as being loyal to them either. Maybe they were more loyal to you in those years by giving you a better deal then most?? and now you feel entitled. In the end, if you want a deal, what value do you bring to them that may offset the reduced profit? Its still just business and loyalty doesn't keep the lights on by giving profit away.
Lots of threads lately whining about prices of bikes. Don't like it, don't buy. But don't expect a business to make poor financial decisions just because you think you deserve it.
Agree 100%! What HASN’T gone up in the last year and a half, much less the last ten? Just because the dealer may have “ hooked you up” in the past doesn’t mean they are in the position to do it now. And it’s not really loyalty… I’m sure it was easier for you to buy from this dealer all those years. If a better, more convenient, opportunity had arose I’m sure you’ll would have gone elsewhere for your purchase. It’s just business.
dtl210
7/30/2021 8:00pm
Times are changing fast! They probably can't sell a new 450 for 10k and not loose money. For example: in 2020 destination fee on a polaris rzr was $1800. In 2021 it ranges from $8000 to $15000. Dealers can't eat that kind of inflation.
CivBars
7/30/2021 8:07pm
Buying a 450 would be failing to speak with your wallet as well Smile
Moto520
7/30/2021 8:14pm
Here’s the thing though……the smart dealer will take care of their customers and keep the business a year from now. It’s short sighted to hold margin now to lose the next 10 years of sales from a customer
APLMAN99
7/30/2021 9:45pm
dtl210 wrote:
Times are changing fast! They probably can't sell a new 450 for 10k and not loose money. For example: in 2020 destination fee on a polaris...
Times are changing fast! They probably can't sell a new 450 for 10k and not loose money. For example: in 2020 destination fee on a polaris rzr was $1800. In 2021 it ranges from $8000 to $15000. Dealers can't eat that kind of inflation.
$15K destination fee? Seriously?
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
7/31/2021 2:19am
So basically you bailed on your local shop because you think they are making too much money. I’m sure they’ll miss you.
jk367
7/31/2021 4:14am
dtl210 wrote:
Times are changing fast! They probably can't sell a new 450 for 10k and not loose money. For example: in 2020 destination fee on a polaris...
APLMAN99 wrote:
$15K destination fee? Seriously?
Yeah I can’t see that being the case. Two buddies of mine just bought new utvs a few weeks ago and payed pretty much the same as I did 4 years ago.
Orange
7/31/2021 4:26am
2017 KTM 250xc purchased in August 2017, 8100 OTD, showroom full of bikes. Great deal

2018 KTM 150sx purchased in August 2019, 6,000 OTD, showroom full of bikes. Great deal

2022 KTM 250 XCF Purchased last week, ordered 6 weeks ago to make sure we could get one, 10, 945 OTD. Showroom had a handful of bikes, only a few of them were adult dirt bikes. They were only getting 2 of this model for this year.

Times have changed, they did what they could for me imo.

Would you guys sell a bike a 1000 dollars cheaper if you only had one to sell? Or, just because you knew the guy? They took care of you when they could, now it's your turn to help them, that is how "relationships" work.

sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
7/31/2021 5:12am
Moto520 wrote:
Here’s the thing though……the smart dealer will take care of their customers and keep the business a year from now. It’s short sighted to hold margin...
Here’s the thing though……the smart dealer will take care of their customers and keep the business a year from now. It’s short sighted to hold margin now to lose the next 10 years of sales from a customer
That reminds me a cartoon I saw one time, the drawing was a couple of bums staying warm by a trash can fire, one bum says to the other one, “Back when I was in business I always had the lowest prices”
Richy
7/31/2021 5:27am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2021 5:28am
For sure, if they don't have the volume, which they don't, then they probably won't be there next year by 'looking after people'... can't look after anyone then, not even themselves.

It sucks and I 100% get the frustration, but it's weird times man, don't think they had anything against you.
7/31/2021 5:55am
From my experience in heavy equipment industry, we are selling at the exact same MARGIN as we did last year, and the year before, and so on, but we’ve had 2 price increases within 12 months time, and the factory incentives are also gone. Same dozer is $10k more than it was 18 months ago.
dtl210
7/31/2021 6:17am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2021 5:51pm
jk367 wrote:
Yeah I can’t see that being the case. Two buddies of mine just bought new utvs a few weeks ago and payed pretty much the same...
Yeah I can’t see that being the case. Two buddies of mine just bought new utvs a few weeks ago and payed pretty much the same as I did 4 years ago.
Thats just what I've heard... Will take effect on the 2022 line which was just released yesterday. I wouldn't expect all of it to be passed on to the buyer, but some will.
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
7/31/2021 6:27am
Shipping costs from Asia have roughly tripled this year.
Fourth_Floor
7/31/2021 7:09am
You're acting entitled. This dealership owes you absolutely nothing. Business is business and if you want to run a successful one, you're not out there to make friends so you can hook them up with discounts all the time. Would you like to go to work and make less money? If you have the mentality that you expect a business to cut you deals on stuff and get upset when they don't, best believe they aren't going to miss you as a customer.

Go to Wal Mart, ring up all your shit and then call the manager over and tell him/her you believe you should get a discount and see how well that works.

Understand that businesses are there to make money. The only reason anyone who works at that dealership gets up in the morning and gets dressed is to make money. If times are good for them and they're feeling great and secure about their business and they want to throw a loyal customer a little bit of a deal then that's awesome. That is their decision and should be initiated by them without you asking. You have no idea what their finances and fears are with the fucked up year and a half we've all been through, especially being in California. Maybe they're foreseeing another lockdown or stay at home order with all the Delta stuff. Being deemed a "non-essential" business puts their ability to make money in the hands of the governor, which in California's case, is terrifying.

Post a reply to: Failed to speak with my wallet

The Latest