Factory bike question

TipOverTom
With how much bikes change every year, or even over the span of a couple years how come factory guys don’t ride the ‘18 during the ‘19 season? If it fits their style so well, or they’ve found setting on that specific model that work great for them, why change? Is it required by the manufacturers? Or do some big riders potentially ride the previous model year and we would never know it?
Thanks fellas
|
2/20/2019 7:57am
Privateers do it sometimes. Mike Alessi used frames from a prior year when he was on RMZ.

Manufacturers don’t want to send the message that their older model was better than the new one. McGrath reportedly ran 93 CR250 frames until 1996 but since the bike could be made to look the same as the current year model it didn’t cause Honda too much trouble I guess.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
2/20/2019 7:58am Edited Date/Time 2/20/2019 8:06am
I believe some of the KTM 250 guys are riding the 19 chassis with the 18 motor.

Edit: McElrath riding 18 chassis with 19 bodywork.
scrallex
2/20/2019 7:58am
The entire point for OEM's to get into racing is to promote their latest models. It would do them no good if they came out with a new model and the factory riders are riding previous year bikes as we would assume the new bike is not good and opt for the older models.

The truth of the matter is that all bikes are great and improve from year to year. It just takes a few months to a year for the teams to dial the new geometry to the rider. It's something that each rider deals with at a different level and it's just the way it is considering teams can make tremendous gains based on a few mils here and a couple degrees there. At the end of the day, it's the rider's responsibility to put themselves on the best team/equipment capable of bringing them to that level in the shortest amount of time.

The Shop

Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
2/20/2019 7:59am
TipOverTom wrote:
With how much bikes change every year, or even over the span of a couple years how come factory guys don’t ride the ‘18 during the...
With how much bikes change every year, or even over the span of a couple years how come factory guys don’t ride the ‘18 during the ‘19 season? If it fits their style so well, or they’ve found setting on that specific model that work great for them, why change? Is it required by the manufacturers? Or do some big riders potentially ride the previous model year and we would never know it?
Thanks fellas
Im pretty sure the manufacturer wants them to ride it , otherwise it looks bad , hey joe Customer we want you to Buy our new 2019 Nami 450RX but our super star dont want to race it and prefers the 18 model ,
It does happen but when it does its kept a secret and
If there are obvious changes than they have to race the newest one
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
2/20/2019 8:02am
mattyhamz2 wrote:

Where did you hear that one ?
I have wondered why Ken couldnt race his 2017 and hide it they look exactly the same and he has said before that
It was set up perfectly and he was super comfortable on it which it looked like he was
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
2/20/2019 8:05am
mattyhamz2 wrote:

Tarz483 wrote:
Where did you hear that one ? I have wondered why Ken couldnt race his 2017 and hide it they look exactly the same and he...
I have wondered why Ken couldnt race his 2017 and hide it they look exactly the same and he has said before that
It was set up perfectly and he was super comfortable on it which it looked like he was
https://www.vitalmx.com/features/Vital-MX-Pit-Bits-Anaheim-1,6396

Sorry, it's McElrath riding the 18 Chassis with 19 bodywork.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
2/20/2019 8:06am
mattyhamz2 wrote:

Shane McElrath is on the 18 chassis with the 19 motor (the 19 and 18 motor are the same anyhow). The rest of the TLD team from what I saw is on the 19 chassis.

Jason Anderson and Tony Cairoli have run the 19 chassis with the 18 cylinder head and headpipe on their 450s.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
2/20/2019 8:11am
mattyhamz2 wrote:

Tarz483 wrote:
Where did you hear that one ? I have wondered why Ken couldnt race his 2017 and hide it they look exactly the same and he...
The 17-18 to 19 frame is really easy to spot.
tprice07
2/20/2019 8:35am
TipOverTom wrote:
With how much bikes change every year, or even over the span of a couple years how come factory guys don’t ride the ‘18 during the...
Thanks fellas
Factories typically want the riders on the newest equipment. That said I'm sure there are teams that run older models at times. Back in the day McGrath ran the same year frame multiple years in a row.
kb228
2/20/2019 9:39am
Racing is nothing more than an advertisement. Name one company that advertises last years models or anything.
kary
2/21/2019 11:21am Edited Date/Time 2/21/2019 11:23am
I can remember Alessi riding the previous gen of the CRF when he was riding for Motoconcept, it was when he rode the 250 class if I'm right. I always wondered why.

EDIT : Wasn't Alessi but other Motoconcept 250 riders. It was in 2014 I think and they where still running the 2013 250 CRF.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
2/21/2019 3:49pm
kary wrote:
I can remember Alessi riding the previous gen of the CRF when he was riding for Motoconcept, it was when he rode the 250 class if...
I can remember Alessi riding the previous gen of the CRF when he was riding for Motoconcept, it was when he rode the 250 class if I'm right. I always wondered why.

EDIT : Wasn't Alessi but other Motoconcept 250 riders. It was in 2014 I think and they where still running the 2013 250 CRF.
They did that quite a bit though.
haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
2/21/2019 4:50pm
kary wrote:
I can remember Alessi riding the previous gen of the CRF when he was riding for Motoconcept, it was when he rode the 250 class if...

I think that was prior to the Honda support coming in. I think Tony got a sweet deal on a bunch of leftover Hondas, bought them and ran the black plastics without any honda logos. I think that was when they were still running Suzuki 450's without any Suzuki logos also.

As far as factory teams go, i would guess they want it to atleast appear as if the team is running the latest and greatest offering they have, even if they technicallay aren't. eg. MC running the 93 frame or Mcelrath running the 18 frame.
resetjet
2/21/2019 6:24pm
TipOverTom wrote:
Thanks fellas
Tarz483 wrote:
Im pretty sure the manufacturer wants them to ride it , otherwise it looks bad , hey joe Customer we want you to Buy our new...
Im pretty sure the manufacturer wants them to ride it , otherwise it looks bad , hey joe Customer we want you to Buy our new 2019 Nami 450RX but our super star dont want to race it and prefers the 18 model ,
Yes but that nami 450 sounds just like a 2 stroke.
2/21/2019 7:14pm Edited Date/Time 2/21/2019 7:14pm
TipOverTom wrote:
Thanks fellas
Tarz483 wrote:
Im pretty sure the manufacturer wants them to ride it , otherwise it looks bad , hey joe Customer we want you to Buy our new...
resetjet wrote:
Yes but that nami 450 sounds just like a 2 stroke.
This guy knows his shit.

Post a reply to: Factory bike question

The Latest