Factory Team Bike Weights - Legal Limit?

MOTO120
With the availability of anything/everything Titanium, carbon fiber, magnesium, etc. (and their budgets), are ALL factory team bikes at the legal weight limit? Not sure what that weight limit is in the 450's, but maybe 220? My biggest question would be is the JGR Suzuki 450's at the weight limit? The Suzuki is obviously a heavier bike off the showroom BUT with JGR's capabilities, have they trimmed that much weight off of a stocker?
|
Squirtlege
1/15/2018 7:54am
I always wonder this too... Hopefully somebody in the know will chime in.

congrats with SLF motion too, stuff looks nice!
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/15/2018 8:02am
No. Some are close (red, white, orange), some (blue) are not.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/15/2018 8:04am
Talking with Roger, he said that while they,re close, they leave some room for tire weight variance, etc.

The Shop

Lastander
1/15/2018 8:11am
Lets say that after you win, they weigh your bike with little to nom fuel in it etc. and you are at 219? Would you be DQd?
BobbyM
1/15/2018 8:18am
Lastander wrote:
Lets say that after you win, they weigh your bike with little to nom fuel in it etc. and you are at 219? Would you be...
Lets say that after you win, they weigh your bike with little to nom fuel in it etc. and you are at 219? Would you be DQd?
You would but RC wouldn't.
Shawn142
1/15/2018 8:19am Edited Date/Time 1/15/2018 8:20am
I remember DV saying his factory Suzuki was 240lbs. Of course that's back in like '08. Also a buddy and I did one of JT's Supercross Experience a few years ago, Short's last year with the BTO KTM team. When I asked about bike weight they hit me with 226 without hesitation. So they may not be right on the limit except for maybe Honda.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
1/15/2018 8:20am
Lastander wrote:
Lets say that after you win, they weigh your bike with little to nom fuel in it etc. and you are at 219? Would you be...
BobbyM wrote:
LOL!!!!!
Juice_Mann
1/15/2018 8:20am
Lastander wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
Shots fired. You mean to tell me JS7 should have been the champ in 2006?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/15/2018 8:28am
MOTO120 wrote:
With the availability of anything/everything Titanium, carbon fiber, magnesium, etc. (and their budgets), are ALL factory team bikes at the legal weight limit? Not sure what...
With the availability of anything/everything Titanium, carbon fiber, magnesium, etc. (and their budgets), are ALL factory team bikes at the legal weight limit? Not sure what that weight limit is in the 450's, but maybe 220? My biggest question would be is the JGR Suzuki 450's at the weight limit? The Suzuki is obviously a heavier bike off the showroom BUT with JGR's capabilities, have they trimmed that much weight off of a stocker?
I was told a year ago that a production KTM was lighter or as light as the RCH Suzuki race bike (someone on the team). So based on that, I'm going to say no, they aren't at the limit. As far as I'm aware, Yamaha isn't at the limit either. I'd be surprised if Honda or Kawasaki was at the limit right now. Honda's electric starter setup isn't helping and Kawasaki starts by adding three pounds to their bikes with spring forks.
chuckdavies
1/15/2018 8:43am
ML512 wrote:
I was told a year ago that a production KTM was lighter or as light as the RCH Suzuki race bike (someone on the team). So...
I was told a year ago that a production KTM was lighter or as light as the RCH Suzuki race bike (someone on the team). So based on that, I'm going to say no, they aren't at the limit. As far as I'm aware, Yamaha isn't at the limit either. I'd be surprised if Honda or Kawasaki was at the limit right now. Honda's electric starter setup isn't helping and Kawasaki starts by adding three pounds to their bikes with spring forks.
Why would teams not want to make them as light as possible, or are we saying that even replacing everything with Ti/Carbon etc, it's not possible to get them that light?
yz133rider
1/15/2018 8:53am
ML512 wrote:
I was told a year ago that a production KTM was lighter or as light as the RCH Suzuki race bike (someone on the team). So...
Why would teams not want to make them as light as possible, or are we saying that even replacing everything with Ti/Carbon etc, it's not possible...
Why would teams not want to make them as light as possible, or are we saying that even replacing everything with Ti/Carbon etc, it's not possible to get them that light?
They make many changes that add weight. Like forks different guards , wheelsets etc. So offsetting the gains and then losing 20 plus pounds in some cases isnt possible im guessing.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/15/2018 9:05am
ML512 wrote:
Why would teams not want to make them as light as possible, or are we saying that even replacing everything with Ti/Carbon etc, it's not possible...
It's not really possible...especially when some add weight with stronger rims, data logging, larger radiators, extra protection items, etc...
The Oracle
Fantasy
4263rd
1/15/2018 3:58pm
Not sure if it is true at all, but I have heard the KTM Factory Edition bikes are lighter than the actual race bikes themselves? Not sure if true as I said, but I could also believe it with all the extra protective parts, sensors e.g. that are added onto the bikes. (I know they shave weight as far as they can.)

Maybe ML knows?
1/15/2018 4:05pm
Well if you can race a bike that's not available to the public, what's making them stick with weight limits?
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/15/2018 4:10pm
Well if you can race a bike that's not available to the public, what's making them stick with weight limits?
The scale at the AMA truck, and the cost of getting caught under the limit?
1/15/2018 4:13pm
GuyB wrote:
What's the cost of getting caught racing a non production based bike?
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/15/2018 4:28pm
GuyB wrote:
What's the cost of getting caught racing a non production based bike?
Disqualification, in both cases, I'd imagine.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
1/15/2018 4:28pm
Don't they weigh the bikes without gas anyways? So the after race weight shouldn't change.

Chad reed said he likes the husky because of its weight. Add on the heavy duty parts and protection and still be lighter than the other manufactures.
1/15/2018 5:43pm
BobbyM wrote:
Lastander wrote:
I take it this has happened before?
RC wasnt d'qd for a fuel violation (he was d'qd but it was later overturned), the same violation that cost Reed the championship (to RC) the year before....
ob
1/15/2018 5:46pm
The Oracle wrote:
Not sure if it is true at all, but I have heard the KTM Factory Edition bikes are lighter than the actual race bikes themselves? Not...
Not sure if it is true at all, but I have heard the KTM Factory Edition bikes are lighter than the actual race bikes themselves? Not sure if true as I said, but I could also believe it with all the extra protective parts, sensors e.g. that are added onto the bikes. (I know they shave weight as far as they can.)

Maybe ML knows?
Pretty sure the regular production KTMs are lighter than the factory editions. They don't have the extra guards etc.
ledger
1/15/2018 8:59pm
Just curious how much weight is saved using Titanium ?
skypig
1/15/2018 9:23pm
ledger wrote:
Just curious how much weight is saved using Titanium ?
Approximately 45% of the weight of the steel component replaced.

With all fasteners, especially axles/pivots, I’d guess about a kilogram (2.2 lbs). Some of it unsprung.
Every bit helps, and the main downside is cost.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
1/15/2018 11:09pm
BobbyM wrote:
Lastander wrote:
I take it this has happened before?
RC wasnt d'qd for a fuel violation (he was d'qd but it was later overturned), the same violation that cost Reed the championship (to RC) the...
RC wasnt d'qd for a fuel violation (he was d'qd but it was later overturned), the same violation that cost Reed the championship (to RC) the year before....
That's messed up Sad .
1/15/2018 11:11pm
250 212 lbs
450 220 lbs
Question: If you run a 350 (as Cairoli used to), do you get a weight break?
No. Counts as a 450, so 220 lbs
Slosh 112
1/16/2018 1:33am
GuyB wrote:
Talking with Roger, he said that while they,re close, they leave some room for tire weight variance, etc.
How close are we talking? a few grams? It would be interesting to see how fine they are cutting it. Seems like only the orange and white bikes can challenge the limit.
RussB
Fantasy
986th
1/16/2018 2:03am
MOTO120 wrote:
With the availability of anything/everything Titanium, carbon fiber, magnesium, etc. (and their budgets), are ALL factory team bikes at the legal weight limit? Not sure what...
I'd guess the JGR RMZ450's to be in the low 230's. I've seen regular guys (with deep wallets) on other forums take their old model RMZ450's down to 226lbs. So it would be fairly safe to assume the JGR bikes to be around 230lbs, the new 18 RMZ450 is generally lighter (apart from the spring fork over the 15/16/17 air fork) than the previous model.

The stock RMZ450 weighs 240lbs I believe? A full Ti kit will remove 3lbs, pipe another 3lbs, factory seat 1lbs, Ti springs 1lbs. Just the obvious things take it down to 232. But the 220 weight limit... that would take some serious work to get the RMZ to that, I'd doubt it was even possible without harming the reliability.

Post a reply to: Factory Team Bike Weights - Legal Limit?

The Latest