Factory Bike weight savings

Related:
Create New Tag

12/15/2020 6:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2020 6:23 PM

I got to watching a few too many inside factory bike videos tonight and was wondering how much mass does everyone think a team can shave off on a stock bike by hollowing out And cross drilling the heads of bolts and washers if they wEre to go through an entire bike and do that.

|

12/15/2020 6:27 PM

Put the pipe down bud.

|

12/15/2020 6:32 PM

MotofactioN wrote:

Put the pipe down bud.

I think it's a legit question. I saw some guys over in the For Sale section save about a pound just by putting together a light weight seat. When you figure all the Ti/carbon/mag parts they use, id say maybe 10lb?

|

themotolog.com The only offroad bike specific logbook available

12/15/2020 6:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2020 6:33 PM

if you wanted to you could totally make a raceable bike that weights 210lbs w a full tank of gas no problem at all, getting crazy probably hit 199lbs full tank as well... Look at the difference between a Motogp bike and a WSB...

|

12/15/2020 6:34 PM

Yes

|

12/15/2020 6:51 PM

skyrebel88 wrote:

I got to watching a few too many inside factory bike videos tonight and was wondering how much mass does everyone think a team can shave off on a stock bike by hollowing out And cross drilling the heads of bolts and washers if they wEre to go through an entire bike and do that.

Just by drilling stock washers and such? Maybe a half pound at most...

Throw a lighter Ti pipe setup, axles, lightweight tubes and tires, battery, pegs, Ti bolts and fasteners, Ti springs, triple clamps, etc...easily another 10-15lbs...

|

12/15/2020 7:01 PM

I know of teams weighing decal sets to get a baseline (removing the backing and stuff, to be accurate) and then trim around all the logos in the set, like on the rear fender, then weeding out the unneeded portion of the decal.

We're talking grams in savings, but some do it.

|

Make sure you downvote!

12/15/2020 7:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2020 7:25 PM

I think Jason Anderson is still riding without a seat?

|

12/15/2020 7:43 PM

I think there’s room to save a lot of weight. I built my kid a 16lbs mountain bike. Lightest available off the rack on his size was 23lbs. Every component was weighed and generally lightest available without compromising function was used. Different application, but that was all in replacing steel with aluminum, carbon, or Ti. There has to be at least 3x the heavy steel bits on a moto, so rough guess 21lbs could come off pretty easily (though not cheaply).

|

12/15/2020 11:06 PM

I would guess around the 8 to 10 lbs mark. Barcia said in a DMXS interview that his Gas Gas was way lighter and he could definitely feel it.

|

12/16/2020 12:51 AM

There’s a guy on Instagram documenting his progress of building an ultra light bike with zero expense spared.

I think you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for.

https://instagram.com/ah2stroke?igshid=8jp6ftnd28bh

|

12/16/2020 8:42 AM

It's not all about weight. Yes, weight is extremely important, but so is performance and reliability. It's all about finishing the race first, and that takes a balance of everything. I know that a blue factory 450 is about 10 lbs less than stock.

|

Billy Wight
Luxon MX
@LuxonMX
https://luxonmx.com
Motocross Components Engineered for Performance

12/16/2020 9:04 AM

The KTMs are right at the limit, Kawi, Honda and Yamaha are 10-12 pounds heavier and Suzuki is 15 pounds heavier.

|

12/16/2020 9:21 AM

Meanwhile Kawasaki throws all the weight savings out the window by running that auxiliary oil tank/cooler thing.

|

12/16/2020 9:27 AM

EngIceDave wrote:

I know of teams weighing decal sets to get a baseline (removing the backing and stuff, to be accurate) and then trim around all the logos in the set, like on the rear fender, then weeding out the unneeded portion of the decal.

Factory HRC: Trimming stickers to save grams.

Also Factory HRC: Let's put a pound of heavy ass red powder coat on the valve cover.

|

Powerband in every gear !

12/16/2020 10:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/16/2020 11:17 AM

FGR01 wrote:

Also Factory HRC: Let's put a pound of heavy ass red powder coat on the valve cover.

The powder coat is about what? 50 grams? Could also very well be cerakote which is way less heavy. Also stock valve cover still has paint on it.

Meanwhile you can save easily 300 grams if not a pound on graphics so they still win.

What makes me laugh more is the tons of sensor and data acquisition devices.

|

12/16/2020 11:18 AM

I remember in 09 or 10, JGR built a super light bike they had on display. Ill see if I can find it

|

12/16/2020 11:21 AM

Photo
|

12/16/2020 11:49 AM

You’d save some pounds in that thing from all the vomit coming out of you.

|

12/16/2020 11:54 AM

rhargrave431 wrote: Photo

I'm a huge fan of carbon fibre and weight saving but my god that is hard to look at.

|

12/16/2020 12:06 PM

On my own bike.
Stock 3040 grams
Ti brackets, Ti bolts, think foam 1784 grams
2.76 lbs weight reduction, add the carbon fiber base and may be nudging 3 lbs

The main thing is watching what you add, for example carbon fiber guards and skid plates are light weight but not lighter than no guard at all.

Also contrary to what I was told billet clamps are 50g lighter than cast. Surprised me!

Photo
Photo

|

12/16/2020 12:23 PM

When I was a kid I remember reading an article about Factory Mechanics taking a hole saw to the bottom of the seat to remove plastic and save weight. Now we have carbon fiber seats and ultralight foam.

The times they are a changin.....

|

12/16/2020 2:45 PM

I think the point made about compromise is important to remember.
Once things progress to the search for the lowest number starts items such as brake discs can “suffer”.

Replacing steel with Ti usually only compromises the budget. (Although some pros can “feel” Ti Swingarm bolts?)

|

12/16/2020 5:45 PM

Many moons ago, top teams were developing bikes to squeeze every last bit of power they could out of their engines and they always wanted more! Making the bike light was just as important when peak power was limited.

Today, 450s easily make as much power as the riders desire. Weight is still important, and I’m sure all of the top teams are right at the minimum, but it’s not as critical as it used to be in achieving a competitive advantage on the track.

|

12/16/2020 7:38 PM

EngIceDave wrote:

FGR01 wrote:

Most likely cerakote, which is extremely thin and weighs next to nothing. Have you felt a full set of graphics, trim kit and precuts? Someone on here I'm sure can post the weight, but I would guess1.5 pounds?

|

12/16/2020 10:46 PM

other things to look out for are also tires. Some of the popular brands can have a tire that weighs 2-3 lbs more than a comparable tire. including tubes ie standard vs heavy duty

|

"If you feel in control, you're not going fast enough" ~Mario Andretti

12/16/2020 11:04 PM

i have the Factory Kawi from Ferrandis MXGP. its weighs 5 kilograms less than a original bike with another exhaust, wheels and tripleclamp (i weighed it).
So i think its up to 6 kg less than a original bike.

|

12/17/2020 12:22 AM

I doubt the factory teams care to much about weight, more likely changes to increase reliability (Kawasaki's oil coolers is great example, others could be stronger fasteners, safety stuff), smoother power delivery (i.e. mapping..which may need additional sensors), better suspension, changes to help cornering (e.g. clamps, links, engine hangers)....all of these may have a side effect of weight savings or not

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L