FULL SEND across the Desert....Wowzers!

LungButter
4/12/2022 11:44am Edited Date/Time 4/14/2022 9:02pm
This is pretty cool to watch, all out drag race across the desert. This is a full row of Pro Class racers so they aren't pulling away from a bunch of B riders either.

Pretty unreal.

|
Motodave15
4/12/2022 11:49am
Good lord, I could never lol. That is fast
dnf736
4/12/2022 11:52am
Ive done a few bomb runs in the past. ARay level sketchy when you find a rock just under the sand at speed.
4/12/2022 12:06pm
Off-road guys(GNCC/Enduro/Desert) are so gnarly, they rarely get the credit they deserve.
Titan1
4/12/2022 12:18pm
I've done that race-and that same start-many times, though much slower than Taylor is going there (not this year because I've got a busted up ankle)...what you don't see in that video is that there are several G-outs strewn across that flat, and they come out of nowhere. So that is even more gnarly that it looks. The guys buried in the dust its even more sketchy.

I'm so excited to have someone with Taylor Roberts resume back racing the hare and hounds...that series is incredibly under rated...Taylor brings some much needed exposure.

The Shop

RacerX8
4/12/2022 1:06pm
Blind faith, lock the throttle open and pray!
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
4/12/2022 1:36pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2022 1:38pm

I can't ride that fast over terrain I haven't had a sight lap on.
Mossy940
4/12/2022 3:01pm
I really wish people understood just how friggen gnarly that is….those boys don’t get have the recognition they should
Big Lenny
4/12/2022 3:08pm
Falcon wrote:
[img]https://c.tenor.com/4vooDRCCa4sAAAAM/fuck-that-f-that.gif[/img] I can't ride that fast over terrain I haven't had a sight lap on.

Laughing
bichwolf
4/12/2022 4:07pm
Reminds me of that scene in "On Any Sunday"!
That's as gnarly as it gets imo
APLMAN99
4/12/2022 4:11pm
Falcon wrote:
[img]https://c.tenor.com/4vooDRCCa4sAAAAM/fuck-that-f-that.gif[/img] I can't ride that fast over terrain I haven't had a sight lap on.

I can’t ride that fast over terrain that I’ve had a thousand sight laps on…….
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
4/12/2022 4:24pm
^Well, that too... Laughing
Titan1
4/12/2022 5:17pm
Falcon wrote:

There's no such thing as sight laps in the hare and hounds, its all about reading terrain and taking calculated risks about what is over that rise, or around that corner, the unknown is what makes it so fun...

Though they can usually walk the bomb (and sometimes even pre-ride it)...At this race, they usually allow the bomb to be walked to the first banners (those tall banners you see towards the end of this video), after that they are going blind.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1673rd
4/12/2022 5:57pm
Taylor is so talented and a great guy to boot. Always fun to watch him ride. It's not without consequences though. Y'all think Supercross is dangerous, that dude has had some gnarly injuries!
chuckie108
4/12/2022 7:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2022 12:47pm
Just rode my second D37 Hare and Hound this past weekend, and I will agree, these racers get no where near the credit they deserve. 2 hours and 51 minutes(my finish time) is a loooong time to be racing your dirt bike! Not to mention they like to save all the tough sections for the last 25 miles when you're just plain beat and trying to survive. It's like a two wheeled Spartan race. Besides having to just be plain fast, you have to know how to read terrain, how to read a course(as in where it might be going next), have a deep pool of stamina, ride in blinding dust, be strong for all the surprises on the trail, and be able to calculate risk management while doing it all. You see god at least once per race! I was suffering so bad, I was literally promising myself "never again" the last 10 miles on Sunday. LOL, That always changes on Monday though. My respect for these racers is at a whole new level. Plus the money and glory aren't there- so everyone of these guys is as core as it gets.

And It's cool to see Taylor Robert back at it, but you gotta give some credit to Dalton Shirey. Dude gave TR all he could handle in Utah, plus nearly won the last NGPC against Cole Martinez and Dante. A really good guy who seems to be finding another gear.
LungButter
4/12/2022 8:29pm
Couldn’t agree more Ted & Chuckie.

Taylor is unreal. Dude is one of the best “all around” racers on the planet. Not many guys can make an Endurocross main and also win a Hare & Hound. He did decent in the AMA extreme series last year. Has been dominating WORCS off and on for around a decade. ISDE Champ…. I’m a huge fan.

Dalton is super impressive too. He deserves a factory ride, if memory serves me he was Factory Husky for a year. Wonder why that didn’t work out? I remember Ty Davis talking about Dalton being the next big thing back when he was on 85s.

Austria needs to fire up a factory West Coast GasGas Team and put him on it.
LungButter
4/12/2022 8:41pm
Titan1 wrote:
I've done that race-and that same start-many times, though much slower than Taylor is going there (not this year because I've got a busted up ankle)...what...
I've done that race-and that same start-many times, though much slower than Taylor is going there (not this year because I've got a busted up ankle)...what you don't see in that video is that there are several G-outs strewn across that flat, and they come out of nowhere. So that is even more gnarly that it looks. The guys buried in the dust its even more sketchy.

I'm so excited to have someone with Taylor Roberts resume back racing the hare and hounds...that series is incredibly under rated...Taylor brings some much needed exposure.
I’ve done it once myself. It’s one of the faster starts NHHA does it seems like, most of them have some sage you gotta bob and weave through.

I musta watched this video 30 times now 🤣It’s hard to see but about 2/3 through I think they hit one of those g-outs and that’s where the top 5-6 separate some from the pack. Probably because they didn’t lift at all and everyone else chopped it to 2/3 throttle for a slight second.

Desert racing for the dudes at the tip of the spear is as gnarly as it gets.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
4/12/2022 9:30pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2022 6:27am
LungButter wrote:
Couldn’t agree more Ted & Chuckie. Taylor is unreal. Dude is one of the best “all around” racers on the planet. Not many guys can make...

Taylor is unreal. Dude is one of the best “all around” racers on the planet. Not many guys can make an Endurocross main and also win a Hare & Hound. He did decent in the AMA extreme series last year. Has been dominating WORCS off and on for around a decade. ISDE Champ…. I’m a huge fan.

Dalton is super impressive too. He deserves a factory ride, if memory serves me he was Factory Husky for a year. Wonder why that didn’t work out? I remember Ty Davis talking about Dalton being the next big thing back when he was on 85s.

You are right about the factory ride. Dalton is a friend of mine, he’s a great kid and super talented rider on any terrain. He’s no slouch on the motocross tracks either.
Taylor Robert came out and rode out of our property a couple years ago. He is a class act as well. These two will continue to feed off of each other, their speed is equal.
Here’s a video of the USWE commercial with Taylor-

https://youtu.be/jwDWUj_I8aY

I’ve ridden with Dalton a bunch, he’s got serious natural talent on his bike and very humble. It’s too bad that there isn’t more purse money for these guys, they risk it all and don’t get paid nearly enough.
FWYT
4/12/2022 11:13pm
gnaaaaaaaarly
Natester551v
4/13/2022 6:11am
LungButter wrote:
Couldn’t agree more Ted & Chuckie. Taylor is unreal. Dude is one of the best “all around” racers on the planet. Not many guys can make...

langhammx wrote:
You are right about the factory ride. Dalton is a friend of mine, he’s a great kid and super talented rider on any terrain. He’s no...
You are right about the factory ride. Dalton is a friend of mine, he’s a great kid and super talented rider on any terrain. He’s no slouch on the motocross tracks either.
Taylor Robert came out and rode out of our property a couple years ago. He is a class act as well. These two will continue to feed off of each other, their speed is equal.
Here’s a video of the USWE commercial with Taylor-

https://youtu.be/jwDWUj_I8aY

I’ve ridden with Dalton a bunch, he’s got serious natural talent on his bike and very humble. It’s too bad that there isn’t more purse money for these guys, they risk it all and don’t get paid nearly enough.
This ^^

Dalton is podium speed in WORCS, NGPC, and of course any desert race. Super talented kid...

As far as the speed goes, I recall former H&H/WORCS champ Gary Sutherlin talking about the fact that the desert races and the speed involved freaked him out a bit....

From Dan Smith and Larry Roeseler to Danny Hamel, Ted Hunnicutt, Destry Abbott, Kurt Caselli, and now Taylor Robert, Brabec, Shirey...kudos to anyone racing in the desert - especially the aliens at that level.

I stick to hard(ish) enduro these days...1st and 2nd gear for me, thank-you...lol
tingo
4/13/2022 6:30am
Wow. Someone should tell those guys to dull their foot pegs a bit.
4/13/2022 6:39am
Falcon wrote:

Titan1 wrote:
There's no such thing as sight laps in the hare and hounds, its all about reading terrain and taking calculated risks about what is over that...
There's no such thing as sight laps in the hare and hounds, its all about reading terrain and taking calculated risks about what is over that rise, or around that corner, the unknown is what makes it so fun...

Though they can usually walk the bomb (and sometimes even pre-ride it)...At this race, they usually allow the bomb to be walked to the first banners (those tall banners you see towards the end of this video), after that they are going blind.
7I3N
4/13/2022 7:10am
Titan1 wrote:
I've done that race-and that same start-many times, though much slower than Taylor is going there (not this year because I've got a busted up ankle)...what...

I've done that one too. If you're not out front, you're just putting along in second gear watching the bobbing helmet in front of you in a sea of dust. Laughing
Natester551v
4/13/2022 7:29am
Titan1 wrote:

7I3N wrote:
I've done that one too. If you're not out front, you're just putting along in second gear watching the bobbing helmet in front of you in...
I've done that one too. If you're not out front, you're just putting along in second gear watching the bobbing helmet in front of you in a sea of dust. Laughing
I did the Rhino Rally in Southern Utah in 2017 after it had snowed a couple of inches; one of the very few desert races I've done with zero dust...it was epic (although that can be dangerous as well, since guys are just pinning it everywhere because they can see). I have a no-dust rule for races these days....if I race at all...lol.
7I3N
4/13/2022 10:54am
Titan1 wrote:

7I3N wrote:
I've done that one too. If you're not out front, you're just putting along in second gear watching the bobbing helmet in front of you in...
I did the Rhino Rally in Southern Utah in 2017 after it had snowed a couple of inches; one of the very few desert races I've...
I did the Rhino Rally in Southern Utah in 2017 after it had snowed a couple of inches; one of the very few desert races I've done with zero dust...it was epic (although that can be dangerous as well, since guys are just pinning it everywhere because they can see). I have a no-dust rule for races these days....if I race at all...lol.
Same thing last time I did the Rhino Rally in 2011. Light rain and snow all day, zero dust. It was epic. Cool
Titan1
4/13/2022 11:28am
7I3N wrote:
I did the Rhino Rally in Southern Utah in 2017 after it had snowed a couple of inches; one of the very few desert races I've...
7I3N wrote:
Same thing last time I did the Rhino Rally in 2011. Light rain and snow all day, zero dust. It was epic. Cool
I busted up my ankle at the rhino rally this year…and it was another good dirt year…I also dnf’d in 2017 (flat tire)…and in 2015-ripped off the chain guide( another great dirt year).
LungButter
4/13/2022 11:29am
Titan1 wrote:
I busted up my ankle at the rhino rally this year…and it was another good dirt year…I also dnf’d in 2017 (flat tire)…and in 2015-ripped off...
I busted up my ankle at the rhino rally this year…and it was another good dirt year…I also dnf’d in 2017 (flat tire)…and in 2015-ripped off the chain guide( another great dirt year).
Ripped off chain guide?

Musta been riding a Yamaha.... Tongue
Titan1
4/13/2022 11:32am
Titan1 wrote:
I busted up my ankle at the rhino rally this year…and it was another good dirt year…I also dnf’d in 2017 (flat tire)…and in 2015-ripped off...
LungButter wrote:
Ripped off chain guide?

Musta been riding a Yamaha.... Tongue
You know it! Lol
7I3N
4/13/2022 11:38am
7I3N wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
Bummer about the ankle. Guessing the cast just comes off right about now?
Titan1
4/13/2022 11:53am
7I3N wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
7I3N wrote:
Bummer about the ankle. Guessing the cast just comes off right about now?
I had to have surgery (two plates, 13 total screws)...so I've got my 6 week post-op appointment Monday, and I'll find out if I can start putting weight on it. I'm thinking another 2-4 weeks before I'm out of a walking boot.

Post a reply to: FULL SEND across the Desert....Wowzers!

The Latest