FMX starter (dont take me wrong)

3/3/2021 2:06am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2021 4:18am
19yo italian guy here.
Okay, since i was a kid i always had a good feeling with jumps.
I grew up riding motocross and racing motocross.
I still love it, i am a fast local guy but i think cant get any better than where i am with the money i have available to put in. To be faster i would need to ride more (i have a full time job so no chanche of riding more), i would need works on my suspensions/engine and i can't afford this type of mods/living style (training twice/3 times a week)

So... here come the point:
I would like to try FMX because on a mx track i can throw fat ass whips, and decent turndowns.
Where should i start? In italy i have no italy if there are any public FMX parks. I think the goal would be to start jumping straight on those big metal ramps. And after that get the whips down on this parks.

Are FMX riders doing big money?
Thank you for the advices.

Looking for some serious inputs, not vitards or bears, thank you.
|
Motofinne
3/3/2021 2:46am
I think you could try to find Italian FMX riders on IG and ask them if they know someone that could help you get started.

I know that there is a public place in northern Spain that has an FMX focus: https://www.lleides.com/?lang=en
aeffertz
3/3/2021 4:58am
Gonna need to see some photos of your fat ass whips for proof.

The Shop

3/3/2021 8:30am
I don't have a photographer following me, so only one of them is good quality. Nothing crazy as the best ones aren't always caught😊
I can lay it flat
My best thing are turndowns even tho there aren't many great ramps for turndowns in the tracks i usually ride

sporkfpoon
3/3/2021 9:01am Edited Date/Time 3/3/2021 9:01am
Dumbgeon?
Let comments like this be the fire that drives you onward and upward if you like, but I don't think you're going to make money doing tricks on your dirt bike. The whip photos you've posted here, while flatter than I can go, are what good youth amateurs are doing while racing and not trying to show off. The guys making money are among a tiny group of all the folks who can go literally upside down and backwards.
3/3/2021 9:09am
Dumbgeon?
sporkfpoon wrote:
Let comments like this be the fire that drives you onward and upward if you like, but I don't think you're going to make money doing...
Let comments like this be the fire that drives you onward and upward if you like, but I don't think you're going to make money doing tricks on your dirt bike. The whip photos you've posted here, while flatter than I can go, are what good youth amateurs are doing while racing and not trying to show off. The guys making money are among a tiny group of all the folks who can go literally upside down and backwards.
Infact this photos were taken during my normal training, not trying to let them look good for the camera.
I don't know, i can't decide and it wouldn't be easy start to do fmx.
Will take my time to think.
steezenation
3/3/2021 9:21am
Motofinne wrote:
I think you could try to find Italian FMX riders on IG and ask them if they know someone that could help you get started. I...
I think you could try to find Italian FMX riders on IG and ask them if they know someone that could help you get started.

I know that there is a public place in northern Spain that has an FMX focus: https://www.lleides.com/?lang=en
this is probably the best advice you’ll get here. there’s not a huge amount of Italians on this board, and the majority of posters here will try to make fun of you for being interested in FMX because they can’t imagine anything else besides hardcore MX being enjoyable.

if you’re really interested in trying FMX, follow your passion! don’t let anyone dissuade you aside from yourself. I switched disciplines (away from MX) last year after finding myself in a similar boat, being good on a local level but my skill had plateaued, and without the funds or free time to really improve. I found my passion for riding again, and finally learning how to have fun on a dirtbike when i wasn’t racing for the win was one of the most mentally freeing lifestyle changes i’ve ever made. good luck and stay safe!
3/3/2021 9:28am
Motofinne wrote:
I think you could try to find Italian FMX riders on IG and ask them if they know someone that could help you get started. I...

this is probably the best advice you’ll get here. there’s not a huge amount of Italians on this board, and the majority of posters here will...
this is probably the best advice you’ll get here. there’s not a huge amount of Italians on this board, and the majority of posters here will try to make fun of you for being interested in FMX because they can’t imagine anything else besides hardcore MX being enjoyable.

if you’re really interested in trying FMX, follow your passion! don’t let anyone dissuade you aside from yourself. I switched disciplines (away from MX) last year after finding myself in a similar boat, being good on a local level but my skill had plateaued, and without the funds or free time to really improve. I found my passion for riding again, and finally learning how to have fun on a dirtbike when i wasn’t racing for the win was one of the most mentally freeing lifestyle changes i’ve ever made. good luck and stay safe!
Thank you.
I hope to find a way like you did.
Thank again for the great wishes
Stay safe and have fun bud😁
skeef
Fantasy
1571st
3/3/2021 10:36am
I mean if you have a smart phone that can take decent video then you're already half way there. Get a buddy to take some follow along videos of you riding. Do something unique enough to go viral on social sites. Share it and tag a bunch of "MX daily" pages. I mean look at what hodges, buttery, GK47, and countless others. These guys can make a living off of creating viral riding videos. Maybe not a glorious living but it could get you to America for riding trips. I don't have that kind of talent, didn't grow up riding/racing motocross instead grew up racing desert. If I could throw fat ass whips I'd be posting it on instagram.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2520th
3/3/2021 11:24am
I’m not eager to tell anybody to go into any motorcycling discipline as a money making prospect. That said, if you’re interested in trying something that you think might be new and exciting to you, then go for it. It’s your dirt bike, have fun with it.

As for finding FMX groups, I don’t think these thing are usually as formalized or public as a track. How it seems to go in the US is many rider groups have someone or knows someone who has a ramp. These ramps usually have some storied past about who built them, who has owned them through the years, where they usually get deployed and what local guys have absolutely nuked themselves jumping them. They’re kind of like living relics that carry a lot of local moto scene lore.

Anyways, find a group or person that has a ramp and go ride it. Learn to jump it, throw some whips, whatever. There always seem to be a vet guy throwing heel clickers who will be happy to explain how to do them but will give you terrible instructions. Do that long enough and you should start running into other guys that spend most of their time doing FMX. Have fun. Make some friends.
Lastander
3/3/2021 12:04pm
I tried sending it on a ramp 7-8 years ago, ate shit almost instantly, knocked out a few teeth and couldnt walk for a week or two.

Pics turned out nice though so go for it

Mudd801
3/3/2021 12:43pm
First and foremost,, keep riding moto / tracks! Those skills will come into play at some point once you start hitting ramps, etc..

Money, tough time to make a living doing FMX. Not sure how it is in Italy but most of it has dried up and hard to even find the demos that used to be everywhere from local races, dealerships, Monster Jams, etc.. (I could be wrong tho)

Like mentioned above, have fun on your bike ! meet some new friends and ride every type of terrain you can. If you lived closer I'd donate a ramp to the cause Wink

I'll be 50 next year Shocked and I'm still riding my ramps, riding trails, a little moto, desert, pitbikes, etc... KEEP IT FUN KID !
Kenny Lingus
3/3/2021 12:51pm
If you're saying you can't progress in moto because of money and time, you'll be in the same situation in FMX. If you want to try it for fun that's different.
I've rode with some pretty decent FMX guys and hitting a steel ramp is totally different. Tricks aren't easy to master and learning them WILL BE a painful experience.
Motox627!
3/3/2021 1:19pm
Watch the Bruce Cook documentary. Kind of odd to mention due to his injury, but there was some really good parts in it about how he got into FMX and what he did to get better and better at it..... Dudes inspiring for sure!
Motox627!
3/3/2021 1:21pm
Lastander wrote:
I tried sending it on a ramp 7-8 years ago, ate shit almost instantly, knocked out a few teeth and couldnt walk for a week or...
I tried sending it on a ramp 7-8 years ago, ate shit almost instantly, knocked out a few teeth and couldnt walk for a week or two.

Pics turned out nice though so go for it

You are gnarly dude! I would of hit the eject button about in the 2nd or 3rd frame!
MXMattii
3/3/2021 6:31pm
You will probably need to find a Italian FMX rider who wants to help you.
hubbardmx50
3/3/2021 6:44pm
Confidence certainly isn't an issue. Haha, sounds like you really enjoy riding too. I agree with whoever said to hit up other FMX guys in your area via social media. I'm sure they could point you in the right direction. As far as the state of FMX I think the Nitro Circus guys are doing well. Other than that and X Games are there any other FMX events going on in the world? I still enjoy watching it and it would be cool to see it get big again. Would be cool to see guys focus more on style and not just how many flips they can do. Good luck!
TXDirt
3/4/2021 3:21am
Buy extra insurance.
3/4/2021 4:14am
The pictures seemed a little bit fishy because it's different gear and different bikes. But the boots match, so I guess it's legit. Stay in school, don't waste your time. The risk vs. reward is not worth it.
3/4/2021 4:18am
The pictures seemed a little bit fishy because it's different gear and different bikes. But the boots match, so I guess it's legit. Stay in school...
The pictures seemed a little bit fishy because it's different gear and different bikes. But the boots match, so I guess it's legit. Stay in school, don't waste your time. The risk vs. reward is not worth it.
They were taken in different years
Some are from 2018 when i had kawi and some others were recent with the sx 250 2 stroke

Anyway i have finished school, i have a high school diploma. I have some working opportunities... but i would prefer moto.

Post a reply to: FMX starter (dont take me wrong)

The Latest