FMX ramps? What type of ramp do i own ??

jan88
Edited Date/Time 8/14/2018 2:59pm
Hello!
I own two FMX ramps but I know very little about them.
What type of ramp and radius is what I want to know.

The black one is 2m and 60 cm high or 8 feet and 6 inches.
Its 5m and 27 cm long or 17 feet and 3 inches.
I do not think this is a regular ramp, because it has a big “pop” to it. It sends you straight up.
Could it be REV 2 ramp used for short setups in arenas ?
Kinda looks like a constant radius ramp to me.
Im used to hit this one. I go very slow towards it with my CR250 and then pin it straight before the ramp, then you’re off to a flying ride Smile

The blue one is 2m and 50cm high or 8 feet and 2 inches.
Its 6m and 10m long or 20 feet and 2 inches.
It has no pop compared to the black ramp. Im sure you can go fast in 3rd gear on my Cr250 and hit this one. Is this a regular fmx ramp? Maybe a REV 1 ramp?

I`ve tried to look on ramp plans on the internet to see the dimensions on other ramps and compare them to mine. But theres so many dimensions im going mad. Some help from would be appreciated!
As I said I have been jumping a lot on the black ramp and learned a few tricks, but my bike keeps nose diving when I jump. I need to gas a lot in the air to keep it level, so its kinda hard to learn new tricks. Probably my rear suspension that needs to be soften up a bit because of the hard pop of the ramp. My goal is to get used to a normal ramp, not a “super kicker” or whatever.
As of now I think the blue one is the most “normal” ramp. Whay do you guys think?

|
kb228
8/8/2018 12:25pm
Those types of ramps are the kind im too scared to hit
jan88
8/8/2018 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2018 1:07pm
kb228 wrote:
Those types of ramps are the kind im too scared to hit
The first jump is scary, then its fun afterwards...................untill you crash Smile
TXDirt
8/8/2018 3:20pm
Those were built by Bob Thornton out of sanguine and are fully original trick ramps built to a high tolerance by Bob himself using what they call metrical on suasion technique to hold up in all-weather conditions. Truly one of a kind.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
8/8/2018 8:42pm
Nice! Mine was towed around for Nitro Circus. It is very steep compared to most I have seen. It pops you way up.

The Shop

jan88
8/8/2018 11:33pm
Nice ramp FLmxer! I like that you can tow it around. Whats the height and lenght on this one ? Smile
flap
8/9/2018 5:00am
Jan88, your black ramp seems to be a standard Euro 8m constand radius ramp. They are poppy but standard, not a super kicker. They are usually set up at 20 or 21 meter gaps. American ramps are different as they are not constant radius and flattens out on top.

Your dimensions are close, here are standard measurements of a Euro 8m ramp. I think it makes sense that its what you would have if you are in Norway. The other ramp looks more like a random beginner build to me, hard to tell from photos.

8m ramps are poppy when you start out but thats how they are supposed to be.

chaseodc
8/9/2018 5:12am
Here I thought this guy was trolling... Turns out to be an intelligent conversation about freestyle ramps. Kudos!
8/9/2018 6:56am
flap wrote:
Jan88, your black ramp seems to be a standard Euro 8m constand radius ramp. They are poppy but standard, not a super kicker. They are usually...
Jan88, your black ramp seems to be a standard Euro 8m constand radius ramp. They are poppy but standard, not a super kicker. They are usually set up at 20 or 21 meter gaps. American ramps are different as they are not constant radius and flattens out on top.

Your dimensions are close, here are standard measurements of a Euro 8m ramp. I think it makes sense that its what you would have if you are in Norway. The other ramp looks more like a random beginner build to me, hard to tell from photos.

What flap says....He knows what hes talking about!! I remember you from the freestyle fmtx forums years ago! Hope life is good man!
8/9/2018 7:51am
chaseodc wrote:
Here I thought this guy was trolling... Turns out to be an intelligent conversation about freestyle ramps. Kudos!
You sure that's not an oxymoron?? Laughing
danzig138
Fantasy
4063rd
8/9/2018 7:53am

I just hit my first ramp last week. Super fun haha
Tracktor
8/9/2018 10:53am
I think Flap has it right. I can say for sure neither looks like a Rev.1 or standard "american" comp ramp. The one on right(coming up to them) is Rev 1 which I have set for my 85 rider and one on left is a Freeride Tech (or so I was told). The Rev1 has a pretty abrupt transition but the FT actually has more pop. I will probably modify the Rev1 over winter to match.

jan88
8/9/2018 12:50pm
flap wrote:
Jan88, your black ramp seems to be a standard Euro 8m constand radius ramp. They are poppy but standard, not a super kicker. They are usually...

Thank you Flap for the nice post. I agree with you, looks like i have a Euro R8 ramp when i look at the plans you posted.
And yes i live in Norway, and the black ramp was Ailo Gaup`s traning ramp before.
The blue ramp was owned and used by Oystein Kjorstad. You have probably heard of him, he was batteling Ailo at FMX competitions before Ailo got pro.

My blue ramp has the exact same dimensions as this ramp i found on the net.

Hey Flap, when my bike wants to nose dive on the EURO ramp. Should i soften up my rear suspension?
Like adjusting the rebound slower?
I think the rebound is too hard, like the rear shock kicks out hard when im leaving the ramp, resulting alot of reving in thr air to keep it level.
Im new to this so i have to ask.

Tracktor
8/9/2018 1:07pm
This was when I first installed ramp. The front ended up being about a foot higher than level Front forks bottomed out and threw me into an inadvertent front flip. I have found the forks need to be stiffer for FMX than for MX. We have a dirt hit same distance right next to ramps and bikes react very differently.......

flap
8/13/2018 3:37am
What flap says....He knows what hes talking about!! I remember you from the freestyle fmtx forums years ago! Hope life is good man!
Hey! Thanks man, life rolls on! Those were the days!

and @Jan88, ah ok yes i know Ailo and Oystein well. You have great stuff in that case Smile I remember Oystein having a blue ramp out at Olliewood way back in the early days.

About your nose diving, yes check your rebound. I like mine to hardly move up at all when jumping ramps. But you might also be shutting off the throttle sooner than you think you are. It's important to hit ramps slow and steady with a harder roll-on twist gradually before and up the ramp. If you let off the throttle too early it will cause you to nose dive.

Just don't hold it all the way into the air because that plus a little bit of body positioning and commitment is pretty much all you need to send yourself into a backflip haha. Have a buddy film you and keep the camera pointed right on the ramp from the side and you might be able to tell from the sound or how the bike reacts if its body positioning, letting off too soon, your rear rebound or a combination of all.

Glad to help out
/Flap
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
8/13/2018 3:03pm
jan88 wrote:
Nice ramp FLmxer! I like that you can tow it around. Whats the height and lenght on this one ? Smile
Thanks, it is 9' tall, 24' long and transition is 27'.
jan88
8/14/2018 11:00am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2018 11:01am
flap wrote:
Hey! Thanks man, life rolls on! Those were the days! and @Jan88, ah ok yes i know Ailo and Oystein well. You have great stuff in...
Hey! Thanks man, life rolls on! Those were the days!

and @Jan88, ah ok yes i know Ailo and Oystein well. You have great stuff in that case Smile I remember Oystein having a blue ramp out at Olliewood way back in the early days.

About your nose diving, yes check your rebound. I like mine to hardly move up at all when jumping ramps. But you might also be shutting off the throttle sooner than you think you are. It's important to hit ramps slow and steady with a harder roll-on twist gradually before and up the ramp. If you let off the throttle too early it will cause you to nose dive.

Just don't hold it all the way into the air because that plus a little bit of body positioning and commitment is pretty much all you need to send yourself into a backflip haha. Have a buddy film you and keep the camera pointed right on the ramp from the side and you might be able to tell from the sound or how the bike reacts if its body positioning, letting off too soon, your rear rebound or a combination of all.

Glad to help out
/Flap
Thanks for the help Flap!
Letting off the gas too early is a good point!
Im gonna check into that when im finished with my "manflu" Smile
I have been looking at some videos of me jumping and as soon as i leave the ramp my bike starts the nose dive rotation. It looks and sounds like my gas letoff is not to early.

Can i ask who you are Flap? You must be some guy high in the fmx game when you know Ailo, Oystein and Olliewood Smile
Who knows, maybe im following you on Instagram. I do follow quite a few swedish fmx`ers Smile
wacker
8/14/2018 2:16pm
Jan88-
Flap is an old, washed-up euro has been who apparently knows a thing or two about European FMX ramps.
flap
8/14/2018 2:57pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2018 2:59pm
I'd say a never was rather than a has been.
ps found a glamour shot i took of you Wack. Should go great in your CV..

Post a reply to: FMX ramps? What type of ramp do i own ??

The Latest