FMX = FX please...

karnivool
Edited Date/Time 2/8/2012 7:55am
I vote to take the word 'motocross' out of FMX...thanks to the circus mishap...

i get tired of telling people I race motocross and the first response is 'do you do flips'...?

call it: FX - Freestyle Cross

claim it...
|
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/7/2012 12:56pm
Nice try, but not gonna happen.
2/7/2012 1:35pm
oh brother...does it skip your tiny minds that FMX is done on a MOTOCROSS bike?

nobody anymore pictures a bmx track when they see a link posted to a cool bmx video...it's gonna be bmx freestyle (dirt, ramp, halfpipe, street).

and they are both done on a bmx bike.

The Shop

2/7/2012 1:37pm
and almost not a word from most of you guys like "i hope he's okay."

i had to go to another forum for that info.
peelout
2/7/2012 1:39pm
maybe it could be NFMX

NOT
F*cking
Motocross

doesn't bother me much, usually people associate the guys doing tricks with idiots driving a murdered out lifted Chevy with an equally murdered KX450 in the back to In-N-Out
bigborefan
2/7/2012 1:39pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2012 1:40pm
I like it when you tell someone you race, they ask if you win money at it. I always ask them how much thy make playing golf, that shuts em own.

I agree, there ain't no Motocross in FMX.
njracer46
2/7/2012 1:40pm
Do you know how many hours in paperwork that would take...
ford832
2/7/2012 1:46pm
oh brother...does it skip your tiny minds that FMX is done on a MOTOCROSS bike? nobody anymore pictures a bmx track when they see a link...

nobody anymore pictures a bmx track when they see a link posted to a cool bmx video...it's gonna be bmx freestyle (dirt, ramp, halfpipe, street).

The act of someone doing something on an MX bike doesn't make it a form of MX.If I did the old girl on the YZ I have my doubts if I could market it as OSX (Old Sex Cross)
BTW genius,no one mentioned how the guy was because if you looked at the bottom of the vid they said he was ok and listed his injuries.
As for the new name,I vote for peelout's.
Titan1
2/7/2012 1:50pm
oh brother...does it skip your tiny minds that FMX is done on a MOTOCROSS bike? nobody anymore pictures a bmx track when they see a link...

I know a couple pro BMX racers...and they get annoyed when people automatically assume they do ramps when they say they ride BMX. So this complaint isn't exclusive to motocross racers.

And from a technical perspective, the FX bikes are set up drastically different from a race bike. To an uneducated eye they might look the same/similar, but they are drastically different.

It's not a huge deal, I'm an offroad racer I don't even race motocross anymore, but it is annoying when people see my bike on the trailer at the gas station and ask if I do flips, or whats the biggest jump I've ever done, or comment about what tricks I can do.
nb11
2/7/2012 1:51pm
Freestyle Motocross is exactly what it sounds like: a form of motocross in which riders participate without any standard rules, i.e riding on a track in the same direction, etc.

It's a very respectable sport, in my opinion. I have friends who ride freestyle and they do some insane stuff. It takes skill to quickly maneuver over/around obstacles on a track, and it also takes skill to do tricks in the air.

Both are done on motorcycles. Those who participate in their respective discipline enjoy what they do, which is riding a motorcycle. Does anything else matter?

If it offends you that people who obviously don't know you enough to know how you ride your motorcycle, and that they confuse what yo do with what others do, then pick another sport.
Homey55
2/7/2012 1:55pm
Titan1 wrote:
I know a couple pro BMX racers...and they get annoyed when people automatically assume they do ramps when they say they ride BMX. So this complaint...
I know a couple pro BMX racers...and they get annoyed when people automatically assume they do ramps when they say they ride BMX. So this complaint isn't exclusive to motocross racers.

And from a technical perspective, the FX bikes are set up drastically different from a race bike. To an uneducated eye they might look the same/similar, but they are drastically different.

It's not a huge deal, I'm an offroad racer I don't even race motocross anymore, but it is annoying when people see my bike on the trailer at the gas station and ask if I do flips, or whats the biggest jump I've ever done, or comment about what tricks I can do.
Plus they use 2-strokes, which arent even MX bikes! Duh BRO.
Smitch
2/7/2012 2:07pm
TC - TrickCross
CC - Circuscross
SC - StyleCross
CC - CrazyCross
Smitch
2/7/2012 2:17pm
nb11 wrote:
Freestyle Motocross is exactly what it sounds like: a form of motocross in which riders participate without any standard rules, i.e riding on a track in...
Freestyle Motocross is exactly what it sounds like: a form of motocross in which riders participate without any standard rules, i.e riding on a track in the same direction, etc.

It's a very respectable sport, in my opinion. I have friends who ride freestyle and they do some insane stuff. It takes skill to quickly maneuver over/around obstacles on a track, and it also takes skill to do tricks in the air.

Both are done on motorcycles. Those who participate in their respective discipline enjoy what they do, which is riding a motorcycle. Does anything else matter?

If it offends you that people who obviously don't know you enough to know how you ride your motorcycle, and that they confuse what yo do with what others do, then pick another sport.
1) AnarchyCross might fit your first description well.
2) So, it's a "respectable sport" because people do "insane stuff" with a measure of skill.
3) So "enjoyment" is the determining factor in life?
4) Motocross was around long before Metzger, Jones and Deegan. I have no problem with what they do - just don't associate it with the sport of motocross - in name. Call it Crazycross or something..
4stroke4DWIN
2/7/2012 2:27pm

Super motard is done on a mx bike but its not called Super mx...........and I may catch flack for this but I've always thought that guys who went from mx to fmx just couldnt make it in mx. Long list of riders that started off good in mx but fizzled out and they went on to fmx
Camp332
2/7/2012 2:28pm
FX is "Fracture" in Doctor speak...
Bob693
2/7/2012 2:54pm
karnivool wrote:
I vote to take the word 'motocross' out of FMX...thanks to the circus mishap... i get tired of telling people I race motocross and the first...

i get tired of telling people I race motocross and the first response is 'do you do flips'...?

claim it...
Ok. We will change the name of the sport because you don't like to tell people you can't flip.
burnside
2/7/2012 3:06pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2012 3:08pm
I don't see why people even have an opinion on this? It's not like we are 5 rounds into a kick ass season or anything, so you can't use the 'off season' as an excuse. .

Pastrana, Deegan & the whole FMX 'revolution' has done much more good than harm to our sport.
burnside
2/7/2012 3:07pm
nb11 wrote:
Freestyle Motocross is exactly what it sounds like: a form of motocross in which riders participate without any standard rules, i.e riding on a track in...

Smitch wrote:
1) AnarchyCross might fit your first description well. 2) So, it's a "respectable sport" because people do "insane stuff" with a measure of skill. 3) So...
1) AnarchyCross might fit your first description well.
2) So, it's a "respectable sport" because people do "insane stuff" with a measure of skill.
3) So "enjoyment" is the determining factor in life?
4) Motocross was around long before Metzger, Jones and Deegan. I have no problem with what they do - just don't associate it with the sport of motocross - in name. Call it Crazycross or something..
Are you going to take this utterly pointless argument up with BMX too?
Hank_Thrill
2/7/2012 3:57pm
This bikeism argument is getting so old... It's like being racist, but with motorcycles.

"I don't like what you do on your bike. You suck. Your sport should not be allowed the word of my sport in your sport."
jimmie
2/7/2012 3:57pm
MCF= motorcycle freestyle.
karnivool
2/7/2012 3:58pm
karnivool wrote:
I vote to take the word 'motocross' out of FMX...thanks to the circus mishap... i get tired of telling people I race motocross and the first...

claim it...
Bob693 wrote:
Ok. We will change the name of the sport because you don't like to tell people you can't flip.
we should change it cause you can't jump 75 ft without a launch ramp...
karnivool
2/7/2012 3:59pm
are the harlem globetrotters considered NBA players?
mattmatt300
2/7/2012 4:08pm
karnivool wrote:
this^
and the should call it flipcross
bryan
2/7/2012 4:16pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2012 4:17pm
karnivool wrote:
Nobody's calling FMX riders "AMA Supercross racers". You're comparing an activity to an organized league.

What you're saying is more along the lines of telling the Globetrotters they can't be called "basketball players".
2/7/2012 4:41pm
this is the stupidest shit ive ever heard, why the hell do you care what someone else does on a dirtbike, ill bet dollars to doughnuts all the idiots complaining about FMX are old ass soggy bottom boys that wear a chest protector and a leatt to ride in their backyard. listen dimwits, FMX is the future and may even eventually out perform dirtbike racing. btw, trials isnt considered racing, and they get pretty sick and stunted when they do their specific art, u wanna change their name too? get a fucking grip, and learn to adapt. Wink one more thing, your chick digs my backflips ;P
MX_Andrew83
2/7/2012 4:42pm
I am surprised a lot of these guys are not supporters, after all most FMX riders are riding two strokes!
hothands
2/7/2012 6:28pm

FMX is the only thing that can done on a MX bike that includes "motocross' in the title, at least that I can come up with off the top of my head:

Endurocross
Supermoto
Enduro
Cross County/Hare Scrambles
Ice Racing
Supercross was originally called super motocross, but no one refers to it that way anymore
mark_swart
2/7/2012 7:28pm

ford832 wrote:
The act of someone doing something on an MX bike doesn't make it a form of MX.If I did the old girl on the YZ I...
The act of someone doing something on an MX bike doesn't make it a form of MX.If I did the old girl on the YZ I have my doubts if I could market it as OSX (Old Sex Cross)
BTW genius,no one mentioned how the guy was because if you looked at the bottom of the vid they said he was ok and listed his injuries.
As for the new name,I vote for peelout's.
OSX: priceless.... truly priceless!!

But I think the FMX name is here to stay. Stunt jumping might have been a more accurate term. Not sayin' I don't respect the balls it takes to go for those tricks, but I don't put them up there with the guys who go 30 + 2.

Post a reply to: FMX = FX please...

The Latest