FELD Supercross Media Access Changes

twotwosix
Edited Date/Time 2/7/2017 9:15am
I am so sick of listening to, then watching, then reading the same watered down, post-race press conference interviews passed from outlet to outlet each week. I sure hope they can figure out a better system than they have now for rider interviews...
|
philG
2/7/2017 9:42am
its piss poor really... maybe the press should maybe not turn up at one of the after race jobs and just go home.

And not report anything.
MotoX85
2/7/2017 11:15am
Maybe they should actually be media and stop being scared of not being able to get info and being one of the buddies. I understand the struggle if you tell the truth, no access, but if all you journalists stick together, they will eventually need the media exposure and cant ban everyone.

Time to start being media reporters instead of buddies.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/7/2017 11:16am
MotoX85 wrote:
Maybe they should actually be media and stop being scared of not being able to get info and being one of the buddies. I understand the...
Maybe they should actually be media and stop being scared of not being able to get info and being one of the buddies. I understand the struggle if you tell the truth, no access, but if all you journalists stick together, they will eventually need the media exposure and cant ban everyone.

Time to start being media reporters instead of buddies.
Cite some examples?
hvaughn88
2/7/2017 11:16am
did you happen to leave a voicemail on pulpmx this past week?

The Shop

kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
2/7/2017 11:23am
One guy changed it up a couple of weeks ago. Backlash followed from some, and then some voiced support.
burnside
2/7/2017 11:26am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2017 3:39pm
Im glad they are doing these pressers, it means when the heat is on guys cant hide under a rock. At the moment the championships are so open, I feel like once some more intense rivalries develop and theres more on the line they could spice up...

Must say the week Roczen got busted I found it frustrating there was a load of drab questions and it was the riders that actually changed the topic to KR and addressed the elephant in the room.

I think its a great move to do these in general though and good for the culture of the sport. Imagine if they did the post race pressers when Reed & Stewart were going at it... of if we had archive of MC & RC the race RC passed/stole the torch etc.. heck, or Dungey & Jlaw sat at the same desk post race. hahahha

Tpog496
2/7/2017 11:36am
GuyB wrote:
Cite some examples?
They all got deleted. Laughing
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/7/2017 11:47am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2017 11:49am
Tpog496 wrote:
They all got deleted. Laughing
Yeah, I get what you're referring to.

I'd guess that just about everyone has skeletons in their closets. That includes me.

But I'm not sure that pulling them out and letting the bones bleach in the sunlight, while the vultures pick at any remaining carcass really helps out anyone.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/7/2017 11:53am
kkawboy14 wrote:
I'm not going to post in this thread!
There are lots of threads you shouldn't post in. Yet there you are. Smile
Motodave15
2/7/2017 11:57am
They should open it up to knowledgeable fans and or make it to where 10 select fans can get chosen to ask questions.

so we can get some real entertaining questions
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/7/2017 12:00pm
Motodave15 wrote:
They should open it up to knowledgeable fans and or make it to where 10 select fans can get chosen to ask questions. so we can...
They should open it up to knowledgeable fans and or make it to where 10 select fans can get chosen to ask questions.

so we can get some real entertaining questions
They try and restrict it to ten minutes for each class. If you have ten fans asking questions, you're talking a much longer time.
TXDirt
2/7/2017 12:06pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2017 12:08pm
I just wish they would report and ask questions and let the reader determine if it's relevant.

For example:

Factory rider on husky was in a social media snafu where several of his main sponsors got copied on it.

I think a very relevant question would be: Did that affect your ability at all to focus on the race.

It's a relevant question in regards to his performance, and it's asked in a respectful and professional manner.

Rider performance is as much mental as anything else. So that is a completely relevant question to ask and report on.

Any other major sport, hell even some small sports would absolutely ask that question and report on the answer with relations to the results.

In our tiny sport, not only is it not asked, it's not reported. In fact, you can't really even talk about it without it getting deleted.

The media and the journalists have a relationship that reminds me of like 1950s/1960s journalism. They know what all is going on, but they don't report it. They want to paint a picture for the readers by deliberately witholding information and protecting the riders they report on.

Another example:

How did European media get a very open and honest interview with Malcom Stewart and no US journalist could get one? It's certainly not because the US journalists ask tough questions. I think more or less they are afraid to ask. So over comes euro media and gets a great interview and asks a lot of questions the US fans were wondering.

Sorry for the ramble.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/7/2017 12:14pm
Let's see...Martin won his heat races in both Phoenix and Oakland, passing for the lead each time. He appeared to have bike problems in the main at Phoenix, and was second in Oakland. I think the performance question answered itself.

As for Malcolm, you mean an interview like this one?

http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/features/Tough-Spot-Malcolm-Stewart,38987…

I'm guessing it also happened before the interview that you're talking about.
twotwosix
2/7/2017 12:53pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2017 12:54pm
FELD has a long way to go to catch up to other sports in this aspect. So far the changes they have made for 2017 have resulted in fewer, lower quality interviews and far less unique content from my perspective.
TXDirt
2/7/2017 12:57pm
GuyB wrote:
Let's see...Martin won his heat races in both Phoenix and Oakland, passing for the lead each time. He appeared to have bike problems in the main...
Let's see...Martin won his heat races in both Phoenix and Oakland, passing for the lead each time. He appeared to have bike problems in the main at Phoenix, and was second in Oakland. I think the performance question answered itself.

Performance better or worse then expected? The social media snafu could have had an affect equating to better results or poor results. My point is we don't know because media refuses to ask.

The Malcolm interview you linked to was in November. It's February now. That's a quarter of a year old.

I'm not knocking vital. Best place for dirt bike news and discussion. I hate the deleted threads but it's not my house so I respect the rules best I can.

Just in general, media shields the riders in ways other sports don't. It's like the ultimate bro system. As a fan of the sport I hate that aspect of reporting and journalism.
twotwosix
2/7/2017 1:06pm
TXDirt wrote:
Performance better or worse then expected? The social media snafu could have had an affect equating to better results or poor results. My point is we...
Performance better or worse then expected? The social media snafu could have had an affect equating to better results or poor results. My point is we don't know because media refuses to ask.

The Malcolm interview you linked to was in November. It's February now. That's a quarter of a year old.

I'm not knocking vital. Best place for dirt bike news and discussion. I hate the deleted threads but it's not my house so I respect the rules best I can.

Just in general, media shields the riders in ways other sports don't. It's like the ultimate bro system. As a fan of the sport I hate that aspect of reporting and journalism.
I like that Matthes doesn't give an F if he pisses someone off. He reports real shit when he has it. He, for the most part, isn't as scared or fearful of the Teams/OEMs/Promoters/Big Names, while still being respectful and professional.
kkawboy14
2/7/2017 1:47pm
I would prefer that the media go and talk to guys that were injured or had a tough weekend.
twotwosix
2/7/2017 2:09pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2017 6:04pm
MX teams, riders and promoters be like:

TeamGreen
2/7/2017 2:37pm
GuyB wrote:
Let's see...Martin won his heat races in both Phoenix and Oakland, passing for the lead each time. He appeared to have bike problems in the main...

I can tell from reading the more informed posts from the Peanut Gallery that you are a reporter of fake news and you're also, OBVIOUSLY, one of Martin's buddies.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/7/2017 2:40pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
I would prefer that the media go and talk to guys that were injured or had a tough weekend.
We don't do ambulance chasing.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/7/2017 2:41pm
TeamGreen wrote:
I can tell from reading the more informed posts from the Peanut Gallery that you are a reporter of fake news and you're also, OBVIOUSLY, one...
I can tell from reading the more informed posts from the Peanut Gallery that you are a reporter of fake news and you're also, OBVIOUSLY, one of Martin's buddies.
You know how many riders I bro down with away from the track? I'll give you a hint...it rhymes with hero. Wink
kkawboy14
2/7/2017 2:42pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
I don't mean a guy that's tore up
MXMattii
2/7/2017 3:35pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
In this modern times you've something like smartphone. You whatsapp them, call them, facetime, skype, you know what you do to reach them when you wanna ask them where the afterparty is. WhistlingHuh
2/7/2017 3:37pm
What they did last year worked much better IMO. Just let reporters go back to the rigs. If riders/teams dont want to speak to them then they get shut out.

Seems like all the sponsors would WANT their rider to talk with media infront of their truck.
burnside
2/7/2017 3:54pm
twotwosix wrote:
I like that Matthes doesn't give an F if he pisses someone off. He reports real shit when he has it. He, for the most part...
I like that Matthes doesn't give an F if he pisses someone off. He reports real shit when he has it. He, for the most part, isn't as scared or fearful of the Teams/OEMs/Promoters/Big Names, while still being respectful and professional.
I agree, I think those dudes (Matthes, Weege & JT) do an amazing job reporting within a cottage industry and they've seen it all before so have thick skin when kids flare up at them (or block them on Insta haha).

I sometimes wonder how invested I'd still be in this if I wasn't checking into their weekly podcasts.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/7/2017 4:00pm
MXMattii wrote:
In this modern times you've something like smartphone. You whatsapp them, call them, facetime, skype, you know what you do to reach them when you wanna...
In this modern times you've something like smartphone. You whatsapp them, call them, facetime, skype, you know what you do to reach them when you wanna ask them where the afterparty is. WhistlingHuh
The last thing I'm going to do when I think a rider in is ER is call them.

The second-to-last thing I'm going to do is ask about an afterparty. That's when the night shift starts.
twotwosix
2/7/2017 6:04pm
GuyB wrote:
The last thing I'm going to do when I think a rider in is ER is call them. The second-to-last thing I'm going to do is...
The last thing I'm going to do when I think a rider in is ER is call them.

The second-to-last thing I'm going to do is ask about an afterparty. That's when the night shift starts.
These suggestions are cracking me up lol

Post a reply to: FELD Supercross Media Access Changes

The Latest