FC/SXF 350 owners, best mods?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/13/2021 3:13 PM

I’ll be picking up my MC350 as soon it is in, and I’ve been looking around for what people love and hate about the 350 platform. What are some of the things you guys have found work best or are things you would change first?

So far I’m just planning on some basics that I usually put on every new bike I get; graphics, a pipe, rims, intake kit, and maybe gearing.

I don’t see too many topics about 350’s and I’ll admit I’m stoked to get one but also dying of anticipation as I sold the yz250f yesterday 😭

|

6/13/2021 3:15 PM

|

6/13/2021 3:22 PM

Did you read what I wrote, obviously not. But I will be soon

|

6/13/2021 3:27 PM

Ryan625 wrote:

I’ll be picking up my MC350 as soon it is in, and I’ve been looking around for what people love and hate about the 350 ...more

You might not need to do a damn thing. These are great bikes. If you are blazing fast yeah you might want some changes at some point, but for 99% of us they don't need anything but gas, grips, and new shoes on a regular basis. GG did go with house rims and bars, and I'd bet chain/sprockets are middle-end stuff. Easy stuff to swap out if you must. Give it 10 hours to break in then ride it hard for another 10. Race it a few times. Then decide if you really need to do anything. I modded my 18 but the only one that was really impactful was the MX Tech Lucky setup. The 22 AER is a far superior fork to the 18, and you might be just fine with it stock.

Hammer 663s

|

6/13/2021 3:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2021 3:34 PM

Ryan625 wrote:

I’ll be picking up my MC350 as soon it is in, and I’ve been looking around for what people love and hate about the 350 ...more

Hammer 663s wrote:

You might not need to do a damn thing. These are great bikes. If you are blazing fast yeah you might want some changes at some ...more

Thanks Hammer! I have a close friend who is a WP tech and works for a factory team. He said I should swap my rear spring one rate and run it, apparently I’m right in the correct range for stock settings as a faster vet rider and 175 pounds.

He also advised me to lean towards Yosh for the pipe if I go that route, though I’m leaning more towards HGS 🤷🏻‍♂️
As for rims, I might have them here waiting for the bike to show up. I’ll probably call Faster next week lol

|

6/13/2021 4:07 PM

Ryan625 wrote:

Did you read what I wrote, obviously not. But I will be soon

Was supposed to be funny 🤷‍♂️

17 Pages there of 350 riders input

|

6/13/2021 4:11 PM

The best mod is a spring conversion imo.

|

6/13/2021 4:32 PM

I see you’re looking at an exhaust for it. Skip that and do yourself a huge favor by getting ahold of Jamie at Twisted Development and have him set you up with a Vortex ignition.

|

6/13/2021 4:44 PM

T-Fish wrote:

I see you’re looking at an exhaust for it. Skip that and do yourself a huge favor by getting ahold of Jamie at Twisted ...more

That’s not outside what I was considering. I hear good things about them. If I skip the full exhaust route, I might go slip on, because well they look cool lol

Do the 450 or 250 slips/systems fit the 350?

|

6/13/2021 4:46 PM

soggy wrote:

The best mod is a spring conversion imo.

Mx-Tech lucky carbons are on my radar if I end up not liking the newest AER. I hated them on my 2017 TC250

|

6/13/2021 4:58 PM

T-Fish wrote:

I see you’re looking at an exhaust for it. Skip that and do yourself a huge favor by getting ahold of Jamie at Twisted ...more

Ryan625 wrote:

That’s not outside what I was considering. I hear good things about them. If I skip the full exhaust route, I might go slip ...more

The silencer is the same for all three bikes, if I recall correctly.

|

6/13/2021 5:01 PM

T-Fish wrote:

Ryan625 wrote:

That’s not outside what I was considering. I hear good things about them. If I skip the full exhaust route, I might go slip ...more

T-Fish wrote:

The silencer is the same for all three bikes, if I recall correctly.

I hope that is true and remains consistent with the GasGas. I’ll keep my eye out for used ones if so 👍

The goal of the 350 is to not end up having to mod a 250 too much.

|

6/13/2021 10:17 PM

Ryan625 wrote:

I hope that is true and remains consistent with the GasGas. I’ll keep my eye out for used ones if so

The goal of the 350 is ...more

Rode Hammers 350 this weekend. To me, its like the YZ250F, but more power everywhere. Super smooth and can run 3rd easy through corners. Just roll it on and dont shift lol. Id rather go the 350 route over modding the shit out of a 250F. Also, might wanna get a kit for the forks. Even though the 21+ forks are pretty good, still really soft and move a lot. I dunno if thats your taste but Luckys are dope

|

Gone:
2006 CRF230F
2008 KTM 200 XC
2017 KTM 250 SX
2019 CRF250R
Current: 2021 YZ250F

6/14/2021 12:48 AM

Bought a ‘21 350sxf last winter, got close to 30 hours on it now;

Reiger rear shock and spring cartidge kit in the forks
Carbon air intake
2 stroke twinair filtercage
Xtrig triples with phds
Full hgs exhaust
Black throttle cam

Always riding it in map 2, most mods not neccesary but welcome changes. Liking it alot coming off 12 years of 250 2strokes. More of an rev kinda bike then lug it, which it both does really good nontheless.

It did take around 5-10 hours to get everything broken in.

|

6/14/2021 1:50 AM

Loudmouth filter setup. Holy shit.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6/14/2021 2:03 AM

I had a 350 sxf 17 and i,ve put a grunt manifold. Very cheap and it close the gap down low to mid...it feels like cheating , almost holeshot every race with it. It makes the bike smoother coz it's a rocket once it hit midrange...
these are the guys that make it...

My second was putting some old yz forks on it :-) Hated the air forks but app they're better now. I'm 45 y old Vet ... my mate has put kayba spring kit in and he loves it :-)
Goodluck and have fun with it :-)
|

RM125 89-92-93
RM 250 95
KX 250 96
YZF 426
CR 125 01
YZF 250 04
GasGas 200 07
YZ 250 07
SXF 250 12
SXF 350 16
RM 250 04
SXF 350 17
SX 250 19
KX 250 2021 :-)

6/14/2021 2:18 AM

My answer is do your graphics and other little things and run it. They’re so good off the floor they need very little IMO. Then take the rest of the money you saved and put it in your gas tank to get to the track. $135 in diesel to fill my truck yesterday to go riding 🙄

|

6/14/2021 2:46 AM

Bike needs nothing from stock really, only what you need for personal taste and set-up (suspension). I put new pegs and twinwalls on all my bikes as a comfort things and had a new shock spring for my weight.
Apart from that I’m happy as Larry, the only thing I’d like to do, if/when I can find a good ecu tuner in the U.K is to get a vortex ignition tuned for the sole reason of reducing the engine braking, but that’s just personal preference thing, power wise the bikes perfect.

|

6/14/2021 2:48 AM

luke11 wrote:

Bike needs nothing from stock really, only what you need for personal taste and set-up (suspension). I put new pegs and ...more

Oh yea and get sweet new graphics

|

6/14/2021 4:40 AM

These bikes are awesome, all I did was black throttle cam, 2 stroke filter cage, slightly taller bars. I run a splash of race gas with pump gas, I think it helps throttle response slightly. I installed my Akro slip on off my 450. They like to rev! Not made for lugging, like a 450. If you are coming off a 450, give it some time to adjust. Took me about 20hrs to really start riding it correctly.

|

6/14/2021 5:01 AM

I went from a 2020 YZ250F to a 350 last fall, both are amazing bikes but very different! Keep in mind that the 350 needs to be ridden with small gears and high revs. I think many ride it the "wrong way" and get a bad first impression of it because they ride it like a 450.

The 17 page thread about the 350 is great, there is lots of information and tips regarding the bike there!

|

Current fleet of two wheeled vehicles:
- KTM SX 250 2020
- Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7 track spec
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 2018 Downhill
- Canyon Spectral:ON 7.0 2019 EMTB
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

6/14/2021 7:30 AM

I've covered all of this in the other long ass thread and others, but I consider replacing the cam chain tensioner a "must do" since there is the potential of totally grenading your motor if you don't.

stock rim locks are junk. Both of mine bent in less than 10 hrs. I replaced with Motion Pro lite-locks.

vented plate and 2-stroke cage let it breathe a little better.

stock bar mounts are a joke. I replaced with Fastway.

I put a steel-toothed sprocket on so that I wouldn't be replacing chains and sprockets every 10 hrs.

Bigger front rotor, just a personal preference for feel.

Longer brake pedal tip. The stockers are kinda tucked in too far and hard to find for me.

Dirt Tricks front sprocket dome washer. I had the oil leak in the middle with the stock washer.

G2 throttle tube with quicker turning cam. Just a personal preference thing. Even the stock black "quick" cam seems too long too me.

I put a 45N/mm spring from a 450 on. Doesn't really make sense that the 350 weighs pretty much the same as 450 but has a lighter 42N/mm spring. I was touching the fender with the tire too much.

I change the oil and filter every 5 hours. Replace the copper crush washer on the drain bolt every time unless you want to deal with a stuck drain bolt that is hidden behind the frame. You can get a 25 pack of cheap washers on amazon that are exactly like OEM and work on all KTM 2 and 4 stroke engines. Make sure "25pcs M12 Copper Washers" is selected in the pull down.

Stay after the spokes. I've been riding MX over 40 years and have broken more spoke nipples on my Husky's in the past year than I have on all other brands combined. I check them every single ride with the proper torque and still have broken some. One broken spoke nipple destroyed my rear hub. Not fun.

|

Powerband in every gear !

6/14/2021 7:41 AM

For starters, the latest AERs ain’t got the horrible feel of the previous versions. I’d ride it, adjust my suspension accordingly and then make that decision knowingly (running correct/enough air is important).

The 350 responds REALLY WELL to good fuel & a pipe (pipe is IF you’re looking for more/different power). Change the oil often like you would on a 250. You can play around with rear tire size for different “hook-up” and wheel-spin desires. I’ve added the skid/glide plate that comes on FE/RE type bikes (production composite/carbon).

If a remap is desired? Twisted Development has that covered in either stock form or Vortex. I also go to Twisted for all my head-work/maintenance.

|

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals. I get my back into my living. I don't need to fight, to prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven.

6/14/2021 7:45 AM

I don’t have a 350 but recently bought a Gasgas 450. Spring conversion and revalve is a must. Could never get comfortable with the air forks

|

6/14/2021 11:42 AM

ive got a spare 22 350sxf in PA for 12k with FE clamps on it if anyones looking.

|

6/14/2021 12:04 PM

FGR01 wrote:

I've covered all of this in the other long ass thread and others, but I consider replacing the cam chain tensioner a "must do" ...more

FGR01 -- thanks for giving an actual, well thought out, race tested reply!! Seriously, so many people come up with a bunch of bling or un-necessary stuff, you gave some really good info. Well done!

And OP -- I'm coming off the 2017.5 forks, which I believe were a step ahead of the standard 2017. The '22s on my Husky FC 350 are light years better and aren't even broken in yet.

I'm only at 1.7 hours, but my plan as a +40B racer is to get to know the bike stock and then throw things at it. But my initial impression is that it is pretty fantastic, I definitely haven't noticed anything glaring that I feel needs to be addressed. Skid plate, graphics, next up will be a holeshot device and then we will get to racing.

|

6/14/2021 5:34 PM

Run it… you honestly don’t need to do anything besides rear spring/ SAG and correct air pressure in the forks.
I have a ‘19 that I bought to replace my RMZ450 and I couldn’t be happier with this bike.

|

6/14/2021 6:55 PM

I'll second what T-fish said. I had Twisted remap my stock ECU, almost zero engine braking. I only added a slip-on to have a spark arrestor.

2-stroke air filter screen. I tried the black throttle cam, but went back to the grey one since I mainly ride woods.
Like others mentioned, heavier spring in the rear is a must unless you're 160lbs or less.

22.5 hrs now on my 20 XCF (new last fall) just grips, bars, tire, and protection parts. Just ordered a shifter shaft seal as first replacement part due to oil leak.

Oh yeah, and shoutout to Luxon bar mounts I just installed after bending the stock ones. Lots of good info here.

|

6/14/2021 7:59 PM

Save the money from wheels and exhaust and do a kyb spring conversion best thing I ever did for my 350’s and maybe also the bladder kit. My tuner true ride suspension does fork conversions with the billet lugs etc for $1600 setup for your riding ability/weight/speed etc.
Call tony if you’re interested and I’m sure he’d be more then happy to help you out.
+1 (484) 225-5640

|

6/15/2021 6:16 AM

Thanks for the great info! I’m compiling a list of need vs want now. I think I’ve decided to go the slip on route for exhaust, already had my graphics done, and am planning on ordering up red excels next week.

I still want to ride the stock ‘22 AER, but I’m leaning towards Lucky Carbons if I decided to ditch the air.

Sounds like the cam tensioner is a must as well. And the intake kits…anyone have experience with both the Twin Air and Loudmouth intakes? I typically go Twin Air

|