F1's new version of the joker lane. What say you?

moto0852
So I watched the first F1 race with a lot of interest. Would the new rule giving an extra point to the fastest lap driver just be a gimmick or something deemed really valuable?

I loved it. It seems we get a lot of complaining about "mixing stuff up" with joker lanes, triple crowns etc but I love it all. Could SX/MX benefit from an extra point for fastest lap?
|
Spooner
3/17/2019 4:47pm
I’d be down for that, points for fastest qualifier, heat race wins, etc would all be great.
deluxeman
3/17/2019 6:04pm
Spooner wrote:
I’d be down for that, points for fastest qualifier, heat race wins, etc would all be great.
I agree, that way everytime your on the track there are points on the line. Superbike used to do the fastest qualifier point and the riders pushed to get that point, they add up over the season.

Great idea.

Rooster
3/17/2019 8:42pm
It can never work in MX/SX since the track degrades with every lap.
VicDaMoan03
3/17/2019 8:44pm
Rooster wrote:
Everyone races the same track, no?

The Shop

KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
3/17/2019 9:13pm
F1 is a mess. Just like Nascar they continue to tweak the rules to try and manufacture more interesting racing and it’s hasnt been a hit with the fan base.

The bonus point for fast lap is trying to keep the teams from going into conservation mode once the race is settled in. The strict power plant penalty rules has neutered the all out racing aspect of F1. The teams don’t want to push the engines more than necessary because it not only ruins the race they are in, they will have a grid penalty at a future event too.
rocky94
3/17/2019 9:51pm
Rooster wrote:
so does an F1 track, weather changes, heat, tire choice all plays a role. The track is not the same from start to finish
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
3/17/2019 10:12pm
moto0852 wrote:
So I watched the first F1 race with a lot of interest. Would the new rule giving an extra point to the fastest lap driver just...
So I watched the first F1 race with a lot of interest. Would the new rule giving an extra point to the fastest lap driver just be a gimmick or something deemed really valuable?

I loved it. It seems we get a lot of complaining about "mixing stuff up" with joker lanes, triple crowns etc but I love it all. Could SX/MX benefit from an extra point for fastest lap?
Not a bad idea at all, why not reward who ever gets the fastest lap with a extra point? It adds another dimension.
3/17/2019 10:18pm Edited Date/Time 3/17/2019 10:18pm
I'm open to the 1 point award for fastest lap. Musquin put a half second on everyone last night, he was hauling the mail.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
3/17/2019 10:52pm
You can make it interesting. If you finish within the top 10 with the fastest lap then you get 1 point.

Finish outside the top 10 with the fastest lap then you get 2 points.

Just thinking out aloud.
Sir
3/18/2019 4:57am
Rooster wrote:
rocky94 wrote:
so does an F1 track, weather changes, heat, tire choice all plays a role. The track is not the same from start to finish
"The track is not the same from start to finish." Correct, it is considerably better due to the amount of rubber that has been put down by the cars during the racing weekend. Also the weight difference between a fuel laden F1 car at the start of race to the driving on fumes at the finish is considerable and makes achieving a fastest lap at the end much easier than in a supercross race. You also have the fact that an F1 race is spread out by lap 10 with big gaps between drivers again making achieving a fastest lap easier than in supercross.

It is another gimmick to go along with the push to pass, DRS, tyres designed to degrade nonsense that has made a mockery of F1 and made genuine on track action as rare as rocking horse shit.

I thought those on here didn't want AMA Supercross to become a circus yet there are some who want a gimmick like a fastest lap point? I'd rather have closer, harder fought racing for wins myself and you can achieve that by making the points difference between first and second much greater than the rather pathetic 3 points as it currently stands.

Indy mxer
3/18/2019 5:06am
F1 racing has never been good imo. Passing has always been rare.
gt80rider
3/18/2019 5:53am
F1 is a mess. Just like Nascar they continue to tweak the rules to try and manufacture more interesting racing and it’s hasnt been a hit...
F1 is a mess. Just like Nascar they continue to tweak the rules to try and manufacture more interesting racing and it’s hasnt been a hit with the fan base.

The bonus point for fast lap is trying to keep the teams from going into conservation mode once the race is settled in. The strict power plant penalty rules has neutered the all out racing aspect of F1. The teams don’t want to push the engines more than necessary because it not only ruins the race they are in, they will have a grid penalty at a future event too.
F1 is a mess.... Didn't even bother to watch the season opener... First time in over twenty years.... Sigh...
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
3/18/2019 6:03am
gt80rider wrote:
F1 is a mess.... Didn't even bother to watch the season opener... First time in over twenty years.... Sigh...
Yup, I'm struggling to watch nowdays...it's become the perfect sleeping tablet.

They need to start with a budget cap but Ferrari and Merc call the shots.

I concur, F1 is a mess.
3/18/2019 6:17am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2019 6:18am
The goal of a race is to win, or to finish in the best position you can. Anything else is secondary, and is nothing more than a means to the end. The reward for doing well in your heat race is a better gate pick. You don't another reward (points). The reward for putting in a fast lap is that you are closer to the guy in front of you, or further away from the guy behind you. You already got your reward, so no need for points.

For the past decade, F1 has been the epitome of fiddling while Rome burns. Definitely don't need to be looking to them for inspiration.

Post a reply to: F1's new version of the joker lane. What say you?

The Latest