Eye contacts for racing

WVUpetro2013
3/14/2017 4:29am
Anyone have any experience with using eye contacts while racing off-road? My concern is that dust will cause issues. Perhaps that is irrational, just curious of other racers experience.
|
neysbo
3/14/2017 4:49am
I have been riding and racing in contacts for over 20 years and only had an issue a couple times. Way better than wearing glasses for sure. Just wear good goggles and dust will not be a problem.
1stSSPZ
3/14/2017 5:00am
neysbo wrote:
I have been riding and racing in contacts for over 20 years and only had an issue a couple times. Way better than wearing glasses for...
I have been riding and racing in contacts for over 20 years and only had an issue a couple times. Way better than wearing glasses for sure. Just wear good goggles and dust will not be a problem.
Same here.
Dcross829
3/14/2017 5:03am
I wear one day throw away contacts when riding. I don't blink as much when I'm riding so my eyes dry out quick and the cheap contacts such as acuvue moist irritate my eyes. If you get acuvue oasis or true eyes your eyes won't dry out and cause irritation. Daily throw aways are the way to go.
motomike894
3/14/2017 5:46am
Really good goggles is a must, then just getting the best contacts for your eyes I had to try 6-7 different kinds until I found the perfect ones. Which happen to be the day and night ones I only take them out if they feel dry which isn't often and every month start with a new pair.

Greatest thing I ever did was getting out of glasses lol can't believe took me 25 years to realize that.

The Shop

hvaughn88
3/14/2017 6:13am
Dcross829 wrote:
I wear one day throw away contacts when riding. I don't blink as much when I'm riding so my eyes dry out quick and the cheap...
I wear one day throw away contacts when riding. I don't blink as much when I'm riding so my eyes dry out quick and the cheap contacts such as acuvue moist irritate my eyes. If you get acuvue oasis or true eyes your eyes won't dry out and cause irritation. Daily throw aways are the way to go.
Good call on the daily ones. I switched to those and they are so much better than everything else I've tried
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1704th
3/14/2017 6:45am
Never had an issue until I switched brands of goggles at one point and immediately started having issues with dirt getting in/landing in my eyes. Finished a few races with some one-eyed vision before I got smart enough to realize it was the goggle brand switch that made me start having issues.

Switched back and as long as I made sure they were sealed good with no dirt in prior to putting them on, no issues.
Ted722
3/14/2017 6:49am
Good info, going to have to go there soon. Was thinking about going with goggles with a corrective lens, but I do like to change lens' based on day/night or just get rid of scratches. Any other pro's/cons going this route?
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
3/14/2017 7:30am
Sometimes I could feel my contacts flutter. Always thought they could fly out. Got lasik.
3/14/2017 8:40am
It's no fun when one falls out and you have to do the rest of the session with one eye. Only seems to happen on deep rutted tracks as well
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
3/14/2017 9:03am
I wore contact's when I rode/race MX and had a few issues with them. Mostly with dust. I've had one pop out once because I was just blinking so much because of the dryness. Fortunately it was on a practice day so I could pull off and ride to the truck slowly and fix the problem. Still a pain in the ass to fix the problem when you don't have your contact case or your solution. Not exactly comfortable when all you have is a shop towel and a water bottle.

I had laser surgery done in January 2015 and it's by far the best decision I ever made. I should of had it done years earlier when my parents were still paying the bills lol.

If you can afford it I'd recommend you look into that if not just get really good goggles and prep them really well to eliminate dust from getting in them. If it's real dusty just coat the exterior/top of the frame with a coat of Vaseline and that should help with the problem.

If you go to the Non-Moto section just look for the laser surgery thread and I posted my experience with the surgery along with others.

Post a reply to: Eye contacts for racing

The Latest