Explaining crash injuries

rallendude
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 2:29pm
So how do you guys go about explaining your crashes and injuries to co-workers and other non-motoheads? This week was the first time I've ever had a hospital stay due to a moto injury. When I returned to work every Tom, Dick, and Harriett thought I was dead and wanted to know what happened and how. How do you explain that you cross rutted and went over the bars, augering into the face of a double head first, resulting in a broken collarbone, four broken ribs, and a 15% deflated lung to people that sit behind a desk all day?

What about to motoheads? For most of my moto buddies the above explaination says it all. Except they want to know what track, what part of the track, and what place I was in.
|
10/24/2008 8:57am
Take your Ricky Carmichael toy to work with you and act it out.

"I was all..braaaaaaaaaaaap"
"but then I cross rutted ....blurp"
"then I got tossed over the bars...aaahhh"
"then I augered head first on a jump face...blech"
"and it hurt."
ridge
10/24/2008 9:15am
First of all, NEVER EVER tell the hospital how or where you got hurt. There are very few doctors who understand. Insurance companies are less understanding. Seriously, try it next time...tell them you fell out of a tree saving your neighbor's cat = HERO.

For the non-moto people at work (well, I've never had a 'real' job) just tell them them you did it riding a bicycle and somebody hit and ran in their car. For whatever reason, most people think it's way safer to ride a bicycle next to cars going 45mph faster than you than it is to ever throw a leg over a dirt bike.

I guess what I'm saying is if they don't know how cool riding a dirt bike is, they won't understand. Trying to get someone to understand is usually easier when you aren't all broken up!

Heal up soon man! That's a tough one you got there. Sell your bike now and save for an 010, which is about the time you'll be 100%! Smile
rocrac
10/24/2008 9:27am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 8:57pm
Rallendude...hope you heal up quick.

I tell everyone my girlfriend kicked my ass. Sympathy is the work place is always good. You wont get any if you tell them you wrecked a dirtbike.
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
10/24/2008 9:48am
"I was going riding, but there was something on the roof that I had to attend before I left. My footing slipped and I fell off the roof."

Its just better for everyone that way. I have had Zero motocross injuries but keep me away from them roofs.

The Shop

ridge
10/24/2008 9:54am
Tiki wrote:
"I was going riding, but there was something on the roof that I had to attend before I left. My footing slipped and I fell off...
"I was going riding, but there was something on the roof that I had to attend before I left. My footing slipped and I fell off the roof."

Its just better for everyone that way. I have had Zero motocross injuries but keep me away from them roofs.
I've used that one a few times.
drmarkr
10/24/2008 10:24am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 8:57pm
Hey.....try being a doctor and explaining first, to the ED staff, what happened, and then to all your colleagues in the medical field why you're walking around in a cast boot/crutches.

I just tell them I'm an adrenaline junkie....and have been since I was 10.

Like Ridge says....they'll never understand. Just not in the realm of possibility.

MR

rallendude
10/24/2008 10:25am
Can't do it guys. Everyone knows the truth and I'm a terrible liar. I've only had one occassion where I got hurt and there were even questions asked about who, what, when, where. All my docs know what I do. My wife's a nurse, this helps a little I believe.

One doc that was especially condecending about the injury rides mountain bikes on the weekends. My wife lit off into him about the risks of that and he shut up about mx.

Screw the 010. I'm after a new '09. Mine should be in around Nov. 30 or so. That'll be just about right.

I got out of the hospital Monday evening and was at work Wednesday. I don't think I'm superman or anything because of that but these bunch of puds I work with thought I should have been off all week.
ridge
10/24/2008 10:29am
drmarkr wrote:
Hey.....try being a doctor and explaining first, to the ED staff, what happened, and then to all your colleagues in the medical field why you're walking...
Hey.....try being a doctor and explaining first, to the ED staff, what happened, and then to all your colleagues in the medical field why you're walking around in a cast boot/crutches.

I just tell them I'm an adrenaline junkie....and have been since I was 10.

Like Ridge says....they'll never understand. Just not in the realm of possibility.

MR

It probably doesn't help that you call them the ED staff. They have pills for that you know.
drmarkr
10/24/2008 10:31am
Heal up quick 'dude. And don't take any crap from those dumb ass docs!!

When I was in medical school and my residency, I worked lots of hours moonlighting in ED's. Moto guys would come in with injuries and the nurses would grab the scissors to start cutting gear off. It usually made the guys day when I'd tell the nurses to put the friggin scissors up and then work with them to get their gear off intact.
drmarkr
10/24/2008 10:33am
ED? Emergency Department? Latest lingo for ER.....
bogdan912
10/24/2008 10:34am
I dislocated my shoulder last year and just told everyone I fell and popped my shoulder out no big deal. I haven't had anything bad at my current place of work, but everyone here knows I ride and my boss asks me if I am going go out and get hurt this weekend(instead of go out and ride). I just tell them I plan on it and if I am not in on Monday enter a sick day for me! Everybody does something, one lady had to get her knee reconstructed from slipping off the edge of a sidewalk, another girl got knocked out skiiing... I just don't go into details of how it happened, just that I hit the deck.
lapper
10/24/2008 11:26am
So if ER is now ED, What's the latest lingo for ED...LD?
RanelC10
Fantasy
2044th
10/24/2008 12:07pm
You should hear the lectures I get from people when I get hurt.... Im sure you get the same ones, Chris! They would rather I just sat in my wheelchair and hated life than try to go out and live it.

I do like the idea above of bringing the toy to show people what happened! Would definitely save a lot of time trying to tell people what happened!
crowe176
10/24/2008 12:25pm
I've always told ER, boss, co workers that I fell mountain biking. There's never been a problem.

Although, I once visited the ER my wife used to work at, and tried to tell them I fell Mtn biking and the Dr. knew I was full of shit and wanted to "just write down the truth", so I told him my wife pushed me down the stairs. He mubled something about more paper work, the police, and that I needed to try training wheels.
nc97
10/24/2008 12:26pm
Back a few years ago. One of my bosses told me. If you get hurt on that dirt bike one more time he was going to have to let me go. After that I figured out how to fall off the roof!Wink
TJ 755
10/24/2008 12:38pm
Thrillcrafters......sheesh. My mom gives me the hardest time. "haven't you outgrown that stuff yet"
crowe176
10/24/2008 12:49pm
TJ 755 wrote:
Thrillcrafters......sheesh. My mom gives me the hardest time. "haven't you outgrown that stuff yet"
no shit, my dad offered to give me his HD Fatboy if I'd sell my bike, so I could go bar hopping with him.
10/24/2008 12:51pm
I just tell everyone I have an abusive wife and she drinks a lot.
kb450
10/24/2008 12:59pm
Yea Dr. I lost a brand new set of gear to the scissor once. I told them I could get it off but they weren't going for it. I broke 7 ribs and colapsed my right lung. Ribs hurt like hell!
vetmotoxer34
10/24/2008 5:12pm
Heal up dude, but you are going to have to master the art of covering up them moto injuries Brother.

Its amazing how you can crush your ankle talus bone that puts you in an external fixator for 4 months by slipping on your tail gate while jumping out the back of your truck at your daughters birthday party.

Honest doc thats what happened all my weight must have transferred to my left ankle when I slipped while jumping off the tail gate.

or

Man Doc. I was just out Sunday afternoon playing tennis to get some excercise and I stepped on a tennis ball that was left on the court and it cause me to fall and seperate my shoulder.

Co-workers a different story. If I dont show up for my Monday staff meeting.... Somthing must have went wrong and unfortunatley they know it.... Somthings you just can't hide.

Get well soon and see you at the track!
rallendude
10/24/2008 5:50pm
Hey there noob/Jamie. Good to see you here. Thanks for the well wishes. How you coming with your latest string of bruises? Coming to Corner tomorrow? I'll be there in full mini-dad mode. I might have to bring a towel to swing.........with my left arm.

I'll let the rest of the crew here break you in. That stuff's not for me.
vetmotoxer34
10/24/2008 6:05pm
I'm better thanks, not 100% but who waits till they are 100% to ride. Not gonna be at Corner tomorrow. I'll be at Mill Creek Sunday parked under the Hattiesburg Cycles tent.

mxer993
10/24/2008 7:09pm
Garren has had some many injuries the last few years everybody knows what has happend. They just as how it happened this time and if he is going back to racing. Everyt time we tell them yes, as soon as the doctor lets him. He has even raced before he was supposed to.

When he broke his left humerous bone, they were wheeling him back to set it back in placed. He looked up and asked the doctor when he could go back to racing. The doctor told him, he hoped he was not going back. Garren said I am going back. The doctor looked at me and I asked when he could go back. The doctor told him 3 months and he was okay with that. He was back on the bike 3 months to the date of his injury.

Get well soon Ricky. Jamie we will see you Sunday at MillCreek. Should be a big crowd from what I have heard.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/24/2008 8:00pm
The last time I was in an emergency room, I told them it was extreme golf.
iro
10/25/2008 12:25pm
nc97 wrote:
Back a few years ago. One of my bosses told me. If you get hurt on that dirt bike one more time he was going to...
Back a few years ago. One of my bosses told me. If you get hurt on that dirt bike one more time he was going to have to let me go. After that I figured out how to fall off the roof!Wink
getting hurt sucks - get well soon

my boss is my aunt... got that lecture after missing almost 4 months of work last year!

Jordan421
Fantasy
2594th
10/25/2008 12:54pm
Take your Ricky Carmichael toy to work with you and act it out. "I was all..braaaaaaaaaaaap" "but then I cross rutted ....blurp" "then I got tossed...
Take your Ricky Carmichael toy to work with you and act it out.

"I was all..braaaaaaaaaaaap"
"but then I cross rutted ....blurp"
"then I got tossed over the bars...aaahhh"
"then I augered head first on a jump face...blech"
"and it hurt."
That is a good way to explain it.

But you need to spice the story up.

Say something like."I was on my way to the local track to ride my dirtbike when I saw a pack of killer squirrels attacking a hopeless girl and her dog. So I jump out of my track and grab my knife. I ran so fast to get to her, I was running like the wind. Then I was on top of them in seconds, there where easily 50 of them against me. The only thing I could think of was just to rush in and pray for the best. Ten minutes later there was nothing but silence, somehow I kill them all. Blood was everywhere and guts among us everywhere I look. But the little girl and her dog was unharmed. But for me I had some deep wounds, so therefor I had to go to the hospital."

And if your boss dosnt let you off with that story then your just screwed.
mx757
10/25/2008 8:22pm
My bosses have always been pretty cool about my injuries. the job i have had for the past 2 years now you have to be there for 6 months before you get health bennies. my 6 months was april of 07. the weekend before I was eligible I took a sweet little trip over the bars at a local SX and jammed up my shoulder. I was wearing a sling when I had the meeting with the insurance people. I am sure they were thrilled about that haha. then last november when i destroyed my ankle they gave me a leave of absence while I was healing. i was out for 3 months and they had no issues with it.
10/25/2008 11:38pm
last week we went to the e.r. when my son jammed his shoulder at the track I told him to tell the nurse I kick him in the shoulder we were just joking around but it seems like that is more aceptable then riding that dirty nasty machine. HEAL UP QUICK DUDE!
10/26/2008 12:11am
rocrac wrote:
Rallendude...hope you heal up quick. I tell everyone my girlfriend kicked my ass. Sympathy is the work place is always good. You wont get any if...
Rallendude...hope you heal up quick.

I tell everyone my girlfriend kicked my ass. Sympathy is the work place is always good. You wont get any if you tell them you wrecked a dirtbike.
Thats funny!

Post a reply to: Explaining crash injuries

The Latest