Explain ISDE

Csb146
I realized I zero clue how this race works and how it’s formatted. Can someone explain it to me.
|
Dropbear
11/14/2019 12:49pm
In a nutshell, mainly decided by timed “special test” sections with non timed transport sections in between but time limits on those.
Csb146
11/14/2019 12:50pm
Dropbear wrote:
In a nutshell, mainly decided by timed “special test” sections with non timed transport sections in between but time limits on those.
Similar to WRC or Dakar?
Dropbear
11/14/2019 12:52pm
Csb146 wrote:
Similar to WRC or Dakar?
To be honest I don’t know much about those events, but did a few years of enduro.
11/14/2019 12:55pm
Similar to the marathon stages of Dakar. No outside help allowed.

The way I always heard it, if you can't change a tire in 2 minutes or less on your own, don't bother signing up.

The Shop

sam hain
11/14/2019 1:10pm
ISDE is run basically like the sprint enduro series (minus the no help bike maint and transfer sections) everyone is timed during special tests. Fastest wins. In ISDE I believe each team is allowed up to 4 riders with the top 3 times being scored.
liver
11/14/2019 1:21pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2019 1:25pm
Dumb version:

take a 100 mile course, divide this 100 mile course into 5 sections per sa. Now you have 5 sections of 20 miles each. But, only 3 sections are timed as your overall accumulation of time vs the other riders. The other two sections are transfer/rest sections, but these transfer sections have to be completed in under X amount of time. But if you’re late off a timed section, you have to race your transfer section and hopefully leave the next section on your minute, or the penalties keep adding up. If you don’t complete each timed or transfer section in x amount of time, you get penalized X amount of time. And each rider is pre scheduled to leave each section on a pre determined minute, you can’t leave before your section time, this helps the flow of the race and allows space between each rider. Obviously, you can waste some energy worrying about all the timing. And you, and only you can work on your bike, a mechanic can hand you tools, but they can’t use them. Most of that should be correct...
Maddeh
Fantasy
319th
11/14/2019 1:37pm
Timed schedule, special tests, work periods, no outside help.

The route is divided up into sections. Each section has a schedule that needs to be met. If you cross a checkpoint early or late you receive a penalty. You can show up early just don't cross early. If you cross early or late, the time allotted for the next section does not change, so you need to adjust your calculated check time by the same time you crossed. Easier than it sounds. Say you're supposed to cross check 2 and 10:05 and check 3 at 11:05, but you were 2 minutes late at check 2. That means your new check 3 time is 11:07.

Within the sections there are special tests. These you go as fast as you can and your score is the time it took to complete the test.

At the end of the day, add up time in all tests, plus any penalties (crossing early / late / etc). Lowest time wins.

There are short work periods at the start and finish of each day to change tires, air filters, make repairs, etc. Bikes go into impound in between days.
early
Fantasy
2212th
11/14/2019 1:43pm
11/14/2019 2:06pm
Liver has it pretty dialed. I have ridden several ISDE's. I like to break it up into a couple pieces to explain it. But number one is to have the lowest overall time. Sort of like golf, low score wins.

For the first 5 days of the ISDE here's how it works:

Overall Course: Usually 70-90 mile loop ridden twice per day. Each loop will have 2-3 timed checkpoints. Riders start on specific minutes and three riders ride per minute. This keeps the schedule in order and allows for 500-700 riders to be racing per day. Every rider needs to pass through the next checkpoint on time. Early or late 1 minute earns you a 60 second time penalty. If you arrive 2 seconds late at a time check, you get a 60 second penalty adding to your overall time. They typically keep the speed reasonable so you don't speed on public roads or take big risks. Sometimes they can be difficult to show up to on time.

Special Tests: These are taped with ribbon courses that are 3-8 miles in length. Inside the test your time adds up. The fastest rider through the test is the winner. These are not allowed to be practised and riders walk these to memorize them. The US and most trophy teams walk them twice the week leading up to the event. This stuff is completely wide open and the really fun part of the ISDE. Typically 6-8 special tests per day for the first 5 days.

Day 6: Final Moto

There is sometime a small trail ride to a course where all the riders race each other head to head. I've been to awesome moto tracks (Portugal '09, Slovakia '05), man made tracks (Greece '08, Spain '16) or basically grass tracks (Poland '04, France '17). Whatever the organizer puts together. The time during the moto is basically added to your score from the rest of the week. Usually 40 rider gates.

That's the ISDE in a nutshell. A big part of the race is you are the only one that can work on your bike although nowadays having your oil changed is allowed. If anything goes wrong you need to fix it yourself. You get a specified 10 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the afternoon to work on your bike. All other maintenance happens on the trail or at a checkpoint if you arrive early and have time.

The whole event is broken down into classes: Trophy E1, E2, E3, WT. Club C1, C2, C3. E1 and C1 are 125 2t and 250 4t. E2 is 250 2t and 450 4t. E3 300 2t and 500 4t. WT is the women's world trophy and its open displacement.

Trophy is usually the worlds best a country puts together and club is another competition that allows people to ride the ISDE.

The whole gold, silver and bronze medal thing is all based on time at the end of the week. Gold means you finished within 10% of your class winners time, silver is within 40% and if you had a tough week and finished you get a bronze. A gold medal sometimes doesn't sound impressive, but depending on who shows up it can be tough. This year Antoine Meo is riding C2 and he's a 4 time enduro world champion and ISDE overall winner. The club classes can be super fast!

agn5009
11/14/2019 5:44pm
Holy smokes that sounds fun. Confusing, but fun.
YamaLink
11/14/2019 5:48pm
Similar to the marathon stages of Dakar. No outside help allowed. The way I always heard it, if you can't change a tire in 2 minutes...
Similar to the marathon stages of Dakar. No outside help allowed.

The way I always heard it, if you can't change a tire in 2 minutes or less on your own, don't bother signing up.
Many ISDE racers raise money at their local or district events by doing tire changes. Gives them practice, funds come in, slackers like me get fresh tread. Talk about practice makes perfect, especially after a 100 mile desert race when people start lining up with wheels in hand.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
11/14/2019 6:29pm
How many guys dnf?
ama530
11/14/2019 6:42pm
agn5009 wrote:
You should try the ECEA Rattlesnake (Williamsport, PA area) or the Moonshine Enduro (Hazleton, PA area). Run basically the same way but they run the typical cc and age classes. Race is roughly 65 miles divided into transfer and test sections. Tough, but a great day of racing. About 5-6 hours of seat time.
agn5009
11/14/2019 7:23pm
agn5009 wrote:
ama530 wrote:
You should try the ECEA Rattlesnake (Williamsport, PA area) or the Moonshine Enduro (Hazleton, PA area). Run basically the same way but they run the typical...
You should try the ECEA Rattlesnake (Williamsport, PA area) or the Moonshine Enduro (Hazleton, PA area). Run basically the same way but they run the typical cc and age classes. Race is roughly 65 miles divided into transfer and test sections. Tough, but a great day of racing. About 5-6 hours of seat time.
I'll have to check out the schedule next year. I know some guys who have run some ECEA races and liked them. I've always wanted to try ome just haven't had the chance yet. It's crazy because I've raced mx/hs nearly everywhere on the east coast for the past 24 years but have never done an enduro.
Moto520
11/14/2019 8:08pm
Sounds like a lot of dirt biking and fun!
BAMX
11/14/2019 9:15pm
agn5009 wrote:
Qualifiers style enduros are actually pretty simple in practice. Generally you cruise at a moderate clip towards your check. On your way there, you usually have a test where they stop you and release you at a specified time. The test can be anything, a 100 yard drag race, a grass track, a woods section etc..You ride as fast as you can until you see the end of the test (red cards if I remember correctly). Then you cruise again to the check. At the check, you hang out, do bike maintenance etc. until the time that you are scheduled to go through. Then, you are off towards your next check.
Csb146
11/15/2019 9:48am
Next question: Does anyone know if there is a series that runs races like this in Southern California?
MelonFan123
11/15/2019 9:55am
Csb146 wrote:
Next question: Does anyone know if there is a series that runs races like this in Southern California?
District 37 Sprint Enduro Series.

I have been doing it this year and it's an absolute blast! Each race is put on by a different D37 club so some courses have been better laid out than others. But all in all it is a fun series and format.
TallonT911
11/15/2019 1:06pm
Csb146 wrote:
District 37 Sprint Enduro Series. I have been doing it this year and it's an absolute blast! Each race is put on by a different D37...
District 37 Sprint Enduro Series.

I have been doing it this year and it's an absolute blast! Each race is put on by a different D37 club so some courses have been better laid out than others. But all in all it is a fun series and format.
Check out the worcs sprint hero series too, same concept but District 37 races seem to be more technical where worcs are more GP style
LungButter
11/15/2019 2:15pm
agn5009 wrote:
You were lecturing me in another thread about what "real offroad" is and you just learned how ISDE works!?

Classic Vital....
MelonFan123
11/15/2019 3:43pm
agn5009 wrote:
LungButter wrote:
You were lecturing me in another thread about what "real offroad" is and you just learned how ISDE works!?

Classic Vital....
GrinningGrinning

But the world's best off-road riders there in Portugal aren't battling it out in the woods! Thats not real off-road!! lol
ama530
11/15/2019 8:47pm
agn5009 wrote:
ama530 wrote:
You should try the ECEA Rattlesnake (Williamsport, PA area) or the Moonshine Enduro (Hazleton, PA area). Run basically the same way but they run the typical...
agn5009 wrote:
I'll have to check out the schedule next year. I know some guys who have run some ECEA races and liked them. I've always wanted to...
I'll have to check out the schedule next year. I know some guys who have run some ECEA races and liked them. I've always wanted to try ome just haven't had the chance yet. It's crazy because I've raced mx/hs nearly everywhere on the east coast for the past 24 years but have never done an enduro.
I'm back to the HS scene from doing moto for 30 years. A buddy of mine talked me into doing some scrambles and then the Moonshine Enduro. It is one of the toughest things I have ever done on a bike but so rewarding. Moto is a piece of cake compared to this.

I wish that the local enduros were more like the ISDE though. Much more an open course with grass track. The eastern PA races are pretty much rocky tight woods with a few fire roads mixed in.
ratonmacias
11/16/2019 2:31pm
Dropbear wrote:
Csb146 wrote:
Similar to WRC or Dakar?
similar to wrc dont know anything about dakar

Post a reply to: Explain ISDE

The Latest