Experience financing Toy Hauler bought private party?

Kyle978
Edited Date/Time 6/14/2021 7:50pm
I am hoping for some guidance for this process.

My buddy had an inTech Discover ordered and built, and after 1 use realized it’s too much for his vehicle. I have been using the trailer and fell in love, and would like to purchase it. I’d rather not drain the savings buying it cash, and would like to finance it.

I’ve only financed a house and new truck before, so I am not sure the best way to approach financing something purchased private party.

Has anyone gone down this road? What company did you go with? Do they take care of the current lien and transfer it to the new owner?

I am hoping to hear if you’ve learned some lessons or had a good experience with this process.

Thank you!
|
Shaggin589
6/14/2021 6:32am
If you use a local credit union or bank, They will probably ask for a payoff quote from your buddy along with all the trailer info. Then they will pay off the loan and the current loan company will transfer the title to the company who is providing your loan. Should be fairly easy. Some loan companies make it a pain to get payoff info because they don’t want it paid off early. But your loan person should be able to help you out.
Hoks
6/14/2021 6:34am
Your bank will likely classify it as either: a leisure toy or personal loan (unsecured or secured). If they have a leisure toy option the interest rate will usually be less than personal and will likely have different interest rates for new vs used.

If you have to do a personal loan it will likely be an interest rate based off secured or unsecured. Avoid this option if possible.

All these rates will also be subject to your credit score of course on how low your bank will go.
6/14/2021 9:23am
Just keep using it or rent it. Smartest way to buy, is secured loan against your savings. If you can’t do that you shouldn’t buy it. You loose a lot of money on toy haulers. I bought a high end custom built 28 ft trl. Builder only used it for the mini o,s. I paid 25k for it, he needed quick cash for a airplane. I rented it out for 1,200 a month in 97. Then I sold it for 18,500. I thought I would make at least 10k on it. Less on learned , you take a bath on high end trailers.

The Shop

CraigCrashes
Fantasy
1788th
6/14/2021 9:31am
Might be worth it to drain your savings if you can without stress. A typical RV loan interest rate is 6-7% with “excellent” credit.
APLMAN99
6/14/2021 9:47am
Kyle978 wrote:
I am hoping for some guidance for this process. My buddy had an inTech Discover ordered and built, and after 1 use realized it’s too much...

My buddy had an inTech Discover ordered and built, and after 1 use realized it’s too much for his vehicle. I have been using the trailer and fell in love, and would like to purchase it. I’d rather not drain the savings buying it cash, and would like to finance it.

I’ve only financed a house and new truck before, so I am not sure the best way to approach financing something purchased private party.

Has anyone gone down this road? What company did you go with? Do they take care of the current lien and transfer it to the new owner?

I am hoping to hear if you’ve learned some lessons or had a good experience with this process.

Thank you!
Is your buddy taking all of the 'instant depreciation', or are you paying close to full pop for it?

Those things are really tough to justify buying at a 'new' price, as their value plummets so quickly.

As others have mentioned, credit unions are usually the best choice for financing something like this that is preowned. The only 'problem' with financing through a credit union, though, is that sometimes they will let you borrow more against it than a bank would so you be upside down in it more than you otherwise would.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
6/14/2021 10:02am
Kyle978 wrote:
I am hoping for some guidance for this process. My buddy had an inTech Discover ordered and built, and after 1 use realized it’s too much...

Thank you!
APLMAN99 wrote:
Is your buddy taking all of the 'instant depreciation', or are you paying close to full pop for it? Those things are really tough to justify...
Is your buddy taking all of the 'instant depreciation', or are you paying close to full pop for it?

Those things are really tough to justify buying at a 'new' price, as their value plummets so quickly.

As others have mentioned, credit unions are usually the best choice for financing something like this that is preowned. The only 'problem' with financing through a credit union, though, is that sometimes they will let you borrow more against it than a bank would so you be upside down in it more than you otherwise would.
You haven’t shopped travel trailers and especially toy haulers lately have you? There used to be significant depreciation but if his buddy bought it right and before prices went through the roof it may have gone up in value.
APLMAN99
6/14/2021 10:04am
Kyle978 wrote:

Thank you!
APLMAN99 wrote:
Is your buddy taking all of the 'instant depreciation', or are you paying close to full pop for it? Those things are really tough to justify...

wrc777 wrote:
You haven’t shopped travel trailers and especially toy haulers lately have you? There used to be significant depreciation but if his buddy bought it right and...
You haven’t shopped travel trailers and especially toy haulers lately have you? There used to be significant depreciation but if his buddy bought it right and before prices went through the roof it may have gone up in value.
Good point, we are in an alternate universe right now!!!

😎
Kyle978
6/14/2021 10:16am Edited Date/Time 6/14/2021 10:20am
There is a 1 year wait on these specific trailers, and 1 year old used trailers have been selling above MSRP from my research.

I'd be purchasing it for $22k, he paid $31k OTD. I will also get his Honda generator, solar power block, solo stove, hoses and cables, wheel chalks for dirt bikes, pots/pans etc. Probably an extra $5k of items needed to go camping properly. It is the CEO of my company/friend/weekly riding buddy, so he's giving it to me in a good spot.

I have a fair amount of money tied up in investments right now that are giving me great returns. I'd rather borrow this $22k @ 4-5% and continue investing or saving. I will pay this trailer off aggressively if it makes sense to. And worse case scenario, I believe I could sell it for more than my purchase price + interest.

If I could continue using it for free or rent it I would, but he just purchased a lightly used Earthroamer and doesn't have a need for this trailer any more. He is going to list it for sale and I'd like to keep it in the family.

I do not usually finance items, especially toys. Like I stated, the only loans I've taken are on a home and a 0% interest promotion on a GMC pickup. I am comfortable with paying a bit in interest given my circumstances.

Thanks for everyone's input, I have an appointment set at a local credit union.

APLMAN99
6/14/2021 10:23am
Kyle978 wrote:
There is a 1 year wait on these specific trailers, and 1 year old used trailers have been selling above MSRP from my research. I'd be...
There is a 1 year wait on these specific trailers, and 1 year old used trailers have been selling above MSRP from my research.

I'd be purchasing it for $22k, he paid $31k OTD. I will also get his Honda generator, solar power block, solo stove, hoses and cables, wheel chalks for dirt bikes, pots/pans etc. Probably an extra $5k of items needed to go camping properly. It is the CEO of my company/friend/weekly riding buddy, so he's giving it to me in a good spot.

I have a fair amount of money tied up in investments right now that are giving me great returns. I'd rather borrow this $22k @ 4-5% and continue investing or saving. I will pay this trailer off aggressively if it makes sense to. And worse case scenario, I believe I could sell it for more than my purchase price + interest.

If I could continue using it for free or rent it I would, but he just purchased a lightly used Earthroamer and doesn't have a need for this trailer any more. He is going to list it for sale and I'd like to keep it in the family.

I do not usually finance items, especially toys. Like I stated, the only loans I've taken are on a home and a 0% interest promotion on a GMC pickup. I am comfortable with paying a bit in interest given my circumstances.

Thanks for everyone's input, I have an appointment set at a local credit union.

Sounds like a bargain! Does he have another one just like it that he'd like to sell to me?!?!?!?!?!?
MauriceR
Fantasy
211th
6/14/2021 10:29am
there is a possibility you could take over his finance contract on it, talk to the bank or loan company and see if they do that
philG
6/14/2021 10:36am
These guys are involved in a lot of hauler financing for the Dirt Oval racers

https://dirttrack.bank/

They sponsor a few teams, only know of them because of that , no personal expereince.

They will value your hauler as someone who knows the market, which will help.
stangkag
6/14/2021 3:02pm
If you have anyone in your family thats presently or retired military of ANY branch i highly recommend NFCU Navy Federal Credit Union (never a bad experience)
ajk423
6/14/2021 3:40pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2021 3:40pm

I'll sell you this one cheap
Timo
6/14/2021 5:16pm
I bought my RV from a private party, just got a loan the same as buying a car, boat, motorcycle, ebike...
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
6/14/2021 6:09pm
ajk423 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/06/14/497611/s1200_20210528_154003.jpg[/img] I'll sell you this one cheap

How cheap?
ajk423
6/14/2021 7:50pm
ajk423 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/06/14/497611/s1200_20210528_154003.jpg[/img] I'll sell you this one cheap

wrc777 wrote:
How cheap?
15,000, check the for sale/bazaar

Post a reply to: Experience financing Toy Hauler bought private party?

The Latest