Excel wheel issue.

Edited Date/Time 1/11/2021 8:41am
Just got a set of new excel gold wheels. The rear rim has a milky look to it at places if you look at it at the right angle. Also the red excel lettering seems to just flake off if rubbed to hard.
The front is fine no issues.

Seeing if anyone else seen anything like this.

|
Cashmore
1/9/2021 1:36pm
Clearly it has defects. Call them and get it replaced problem solved. Nice wheels!
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
609th
1/9/2021 1:40pm
looks like it was wiped down with something that shouldn't ever touch anodizing.. excel has awesome customer service, i'd contact them...
Bman_145
1/9/2021 1:56pm
Had this happen to set of rims. I called them and they only needed a few pictures to see the issue and replacements were sent after they got the bad ones.

The Shop

WEAL
1/9/2021 2:47pm
Ride the bike!
MX114
1/10/2021 9:51am
Call RK/Excel ask for Farrah. 1-760-732-3161. She has been there a long time and will help you out
mister2dt
1/10/2021 10:45am
Definitely an anodizing issue. Looks like from etching to coloring, the rinse bath was contaminated and the rim was dipped in the gold dye bath with some sulfuric acid residue still in the ceramic pores, causing the miscoloring
1/10/2021 10:57am
mister2dt wrote:
Definitely an anodizing issue. Looks like from etching to coloring, the rinse bath was contaminated and the rim was dipped in the gold dye bath with...
Definitely an anodizing issue. Looks like from etching to coloring, the rinse bath was contaminated and the rim was dipped in the gold dye bath with some sulfuric acid residue still in the ceramic pores, causing the miscoloring
Will it continue to get worse? Its really hard to see unless you look at it at the right angle in the right light.
mister2dt
1/10/2021 12:54pm
mister2dt wrote:
Definitely an anodizing issue. Looks like from etching to coloring, the rinse bath was contaminated and the rim was dipped in the gold dye bath with...
Will it continue to get worse? Its really hard to see unless you look at it at the right angle in the right light.
It shouldnt. Its got a nickel acetate sealer after the color bath. So the acid has been neutralized. Dont know if it has a clear coat over that or not, but the sealer almost always prevents it from bleeding anymore
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
1/10/2021 5:26pm
MX114 wrote:
Call RK/Excel ask for Farrah. 1-760-732-3161. She has been there a long time and will help you out
Agreed, she is awesome !!
1/11/2021 7:41am
I just bought a brand new set of blue excels for my yz125 that have the exact same problem. My lettering is fine, but the exact same milky looking issue with the anodization can be seen on both my front and rear. I will post some pics later today so you can see. I think I'm just going to run them. Seems like its just part of their process. My rear also came with the spoke holes pre drilled out for some reason and were scratched where their drill fixture presses on to the wheel. Like scratch marks on every single spoke hole. I sent the rear back to Faster USA and Colin opened another brand new rim from excel and said the scratches were even worse on that one. Excels are good strong rims, but I'm not sold on their anodizing or spoke hole drilling processes... Hopefully others have had better luck... Will post pics this evening...

-Preston
1/11/2021 8:41am
So your front didn't have this issue? Pics?
No issues on the front whatsoever. I am going to give Colin a call today when they open up and see whathe says. If its not going to get worse I may just keep it. I don't have time to ship back and forth. I wanted to go with the dirtstars but only being available in black made me go with the excels.

Post a reply to: Excel wheel issue.

The Latest