Evolution of the sport/jumps

TJMX947
5/3/2018 7:34am
TJMX947 wrote:
Last time I rode ICR was in 2009, it was fun, but closed not too long after. I remember there was a double on the back...
Last time I rode ICR was in 2009, it was fun, but closed not too long after. I remember there was a double on the back straight I wouldnt jump on my 250F because my suspension was super soft (I was 220lbs), everything else I jumped within 3 or 4 laps. Did you guys ever ride Roost Creek/Iveys?
Was Roost Creek the spot just off 475? If its the place I'm thinking of, it was semi private, had to pay a yearly fee. Loved...
Was Roost Creek the spot just off 475? If its the place I'm thinking of, it was semi private, had to pay a yearly fee. Loved that track.
Yes that was it. I moved to Macon in August of 2009 for my first job out of college. I was super excited about all of the moto tracks in the area. I actually rode at Bubba Crosby's the first weekend I lived down there, though I had hit the jack pot. Roost Creek was about 10 minutes from my house, I loved the track that fall...it held a lot of moisture and was in pretty good shape. By the time spring rolled around it was getting pretty beat down.

My claim to fame is I hit a water truck out there in May 2010. Had a tibial plateau fracture and busted my fibula. My moto career hasn't been the same since. I get really mental about jumping stuff that I can't see the landing now, no matter how hard I try to turn that off.
Johnny Depp
5/3/2018 7:47am
TJMX947 wrote:
Last time I rode ICR was in 2009, it was fun, but closed not too long after. I remember there was a double on the back...
Last time I rode ICR was in 2009, it was fun, but closed not too long after. I remember there was a double on the back straight I wouldnt jump on my 250F because my suspension was super soft (I was 220lbs), everything else I jumped within 3 or 4 laps. Did you guys ever ride Roost Creek/Iveys?
Was Roost Creek the spot just off 475? If its the place I'm thinking of, it was semi private, had to pay a yearly fee. Loved...
Was Roost Creek the spot just off 475? If its the place I'm thinking of, it was semi private, had to pay a yearly fee. Loved that track.
TJMX947 wrote:
Yes that was it. I moved to Macon in August of 2009 for my first job out of college. I was super excited about all of...
Yes that was it. I moved to Macon in August of 2009 for my first job out of college. I was super excited about all of the moto tracks in the area. I actually rode at Bubba Crosby's the first weekend I lived down there, though I had hit the jack pot. Roost Creek was about 10 minutes from my house, I loved the track that fall...it held a lot of moisture and was in pretty good shape. By the time spring rolled around it was getting pretty beat down.

My claim to fame is I hit a water truck out there in May 2010. Had a tibial plateau fracture and busted my fibula. My moto career hasn't been the same since. I get really mental about jumping stuff that I can't see the landing now, no matter how hard I try to turn that off.
I didn't have to hit a water truck to feel the same way about blind jumps. A family that depends on you changes things.
aroark247
5/3/2018 7:50am
A huge part is just progression of the sport in general. At my local track there is a 11 year old kid that is the definition of a lil' ripper. 85's have not changed over the last 15 years for the most part (yamaha 85) and we talked him into hitting our competition style freestyle ramp the other day. He went from 30ft to 40 ft then to 55 ft.

James Stewart and other recent pro's continue to invent and hone techniques that everyone attempts to learn. Regardless of bike size, skill or age this sport is ever- evolving.
Johnny Depp
5/4/2018 6:23am
This is what the evolution has brought us, Facebook feeds of another death. How many times a year do we see this now?

On Saturday,
April 28, 2018
Jason Jones was competing in a MX Series race.

This was his first official motorcross race.
As he made a jump, which was beautiful, except he was going too fast, which made him miss his landing and fell to the ground. On impact, he had massive brain injury.

The brain injury caused bleeding in the brain and the brain to shift.
Doing everything the doctors could do, Jason fought as long as he could, but his heart stopped at 11:30 pm.

The Shop

Donovan759
5/4/2018 7:10am
This is what the evolution has brought us, Facebook feeds of another death. How many times a year do we see this now? On Saturday, April...
This is what the evolution has brought us, Facebook feeds of another death. How many times a year do we see this now?

On Saturday,
April 28, 2018

As he made a jump, which was beautiful, except he was going too fast, which made him miss his landing and fell to the ground. On impact, he had massive brain injury.

Doing everything the doctors could do, Jason fought as long as he could, but his heart stopped at 11:30 pm.
That's very sad. Rest in peace Jason. My prayers go out to his family. That's terrible.

Motocross has always been dangerous. I don't think the evolution of the sport leads to more deaths. If anything, the evolution of the sport makes it safer with better protection equipment.
yz133rider
5/4/2018 9:27am
This is what the evolution has brought us, Facebook feeds of another death. How many times a year do we see this now? On Saturday, April...

On Saturday,
April 28, 2018

Donovan759 wrote:
That's very sad. Rest in peace Jason. My prayers go out to his family. That's terrible. Motocross has always been dangerous. I don't think the evolution...
That's very sad. Rest in peace Jason. My prayers go out to his family. That's terrible.

Motocross has always been dangerous. I don't think the evolution of the sport leads to more deaths. If anything, the evolution of the sport makes it safer with better protection equipment.
Disagree 100% donovan. The speeds and impacts are greater than ever. Jumps are bigger taller faster than ever and more of them than ever.

Look at cole seelys injury hes likely done professionally from that. He shattered his hip and seperated his torso from his lower half of his body on the insides....the injuries now are no longer a broken wrist or a broken arm, they are severe and often times a laundry list of injuries per crash.
aharper33
5/4/2018 10:07am
I agree with some of what has been said and disagree with some. I dont claim to be a pro but I have raced up to the front of the intermediate pack. I have seen alot change over the years being around motocross. Like a few people have said a track can have some big jumps that are safe and everyone can do and they can have small dangerous ones as well. I have found tracks that have options where you can hit the 100 foot triple or the 50 foot double to be the most fun and safe for everyone because there is options for most people that show up. One example would be a jump to a table top. You can jump up onto the tabletop or you can clear the whole thing. Its a challenge for the faster guys but also something the slower guys can do to.
Johnny Depp
5/4/2018 12:07pm
This sport was much bigger in the 70's-80's and deaths were rare, and they were usually head on's or smacking a tree. These days your calendar would not have enough pages for the deaths in this sport, let alone the paralysis.

It's easy for rider's to forget where they came from, how many years it took them to even acquire the skills necessary to race, let alone finish well. There is a reason even D class riders have decades of experience, beginner's aren't welcome in our sport anymore unless you start with a mini.

Post a reply to: Evolution of the sport/jumps

The Latest