Everybody agree the 125 class is badly needed?

newmann
Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 4:40am
I do. Hard to believe the AMA, you know those guys who are "protecting your right to ride" (as long as it is a double displacement 4 stroke) could skullphuck the sport so bad. Crooks and thieves they are....
|
Atmos
3/24/2015 6:29am
No. Two strokes are gone.
Uncle Tony
3/24/2015 6:31am
YES! I do, look at what's going on in Europe with 125's, they made a huge comeback
Crush
3/24/2015 6:33am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2015 6:34am
So many benefits...

Amateur racing costs go down... Bike steps safer... Track can be made slower...

Pro level small class engine costs come down... Tracks safer and have differential between what 125s can do and 250 Feds can...

250effs can be made the premier class, same hp as what two stroke 250s were and the best racing is almost always in the smaller bike class because the guys are running them flat chat instead of chugging 65hp 230pound monsters...

The Shop

Uncle Tony
3/24/2015 6:39am
newmann wrote:
[img]https://motocrossactionmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/15_YZ125_0Blue_2.jpg[/img]
One of the greatest bikes I ever owned, next to my 75 pursangs
husky125
3/24/2015 6:49am
I agree 100% Newmann, the 125 class needs to be brought back to life!
Darryl916
3/24/2015 6:51am
Crush wrote:
So many benefits... Amateur racing costs go down... Bike steps safer... Track can be made slower... Pro level small class engine costs come down... Tracks safer...
So many benefits...

Pro level small class engine costs come down... Tracks safer and have differential between what 125s can do and 250 Feds can...

250effs can be made the premier class, same hp as what two stroke 250s were and the best racing is almost always in the smaller bike class because the guys are running them flat chat instead of chugging 65hp 230pound monsters...
Sounds awesome but it's major corporations with deep pockets that have a solid interest in this NOT happening. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Even if the movement towards this sort of reform started today it would be 10 years before we saw it at a national track on a Saturday probably.

Gringoe
3/24/2015 6:52am
I agree but I don't think it will ever happen. We have a better chance of making a 175cc or similar four stroke class. I think that is our best shot of bridging the gap.
reded
3/24/2015 6:56am
Crush wrote:
So many benefits... Amateur racing costs go down... Bike steps safer... Track can be made slower... Pro level small class engine costs come down... Tracks safer...
So many benefits...

Darryl916 wrote:
Sounds awesome but it's major corporations with deep pockets that have a solid interest in this NOT happening. I wouldn't hold my breath. Even if the...
Sounds awesome but it's major corporations with deep pockets that have a solid interest in this NOT happening. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Even if the movement towards this sort of reform started today it would be 10 years before we saw it at a national track on a Saturday probably.

I don't know that we ever need to see it at the national level. The amateur level is where it's most needed.
3/24/2015 6:58am
reded wrote:
I don't know that we ever need to see it at the national level. The amateur level is where it's most needed.
^^^ This ^^^
Redrcr34
3/24/2015 6:58am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2015 7:07am
I say yes, It's too bad that 2 strokes were kicked to the side. I rode them for 25 years before switching to the Honda 4 stroke. The years I had the 4 stroke I felt like there was something missing. I missed the fun factor, lightweight, easy to rebuild 2 stroke. I still remember seeing that old honda commercial of Steve MC Queen blasting across the desert on his Elsinore. That's what got me back onto 2 strokes last year. Take a look if you have not seen this.
http://youtu.be/J8nJvgSlSiM

3/24/2015 7:00am
I don't think it happens in supercross, but if they could do a 1 moto race for maybe 6 races of the nationals and allow kids to keep their amateur status and forgo any purse, I think that's ideal.

Kids looking to make the jump can try their hand at a high level pro race, privateers who can afford supercross but not nationals can do a shorter series on a cheaper bike, guys who are semi retired can come out and race. I think it would be good for the sport and the industry.

Teams like Geico and Pro Circuit can put their amateurs through the series as a warm up for making the jump and the kids can still race Lorettas if they go that route. They can compete against semi-retired guys and part timers such as a Landon Powell (I think he's usually sx only with a few nats rights?) or a Sean Collier.
newmann
3/24/2015 7:07am
Darryl916 wrote:
Sounds awesome but it's major corporations with deep pockets that have a solid interest in this NOT happening. I wouldn't hold my breath. Even if the...

It could be on the National schedule this year if the powers that be wanted it. Six rounds this year to get it rolling. Could be be promoted throughout the first half of the outdoor series and run at the last six events.

But Oh My God, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda don't make a 125! So what, freshen up a 2007 model and come race. Or continue to be a part of the problem and not the solution.

But Oh My God, they aren't homologated! So what. Who said a dirt bike had to be homologated to race? It's a 125, bring that shit on.

But what about the live TV! Who cares about live TV for the first year of the 125 class, show it on the internet after the race is over.

But it will cost a fortune to film it and put it on the internet! No it won't, the internet is littered with weekend warrior videos that are frikken awesome quality. FMF would probably sponsor it.

But no one will race it! Sure they will, and they will be fast. Half of the 250F class will be blown up, broken down and out of money by then. A 125 class would be right up their alley.

But no one will sponsor it! It needs MO money! Sure they will. Hell, I will. Been saying it for years. I'll put a bike on the track and provide some Holeshot Award money. The track is already there, the fans are already there, the bulk of the MX "industry" is already there, the cameras are already there, the Asterisk Mobile Medical crew is already there.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
3/24/2015 7:09am
Kids developing more skill while going slower (but you can still haul ass) on a lighter bike, what's not to like?
MotoX85
3/24/2015 7:09am
Holy cow Newmann I think I am gonna have to totally agree with you on this one.
newmann
3/24/2015 7:12am
MotoX85 wrote:
Holy cow Newmann I think I am gonna have to totally agree with you on this one.
It's going to be okay.

Smile
Jack mehoff
3/24/2015 7:13am
When I was a kid it was 100 cc schoolboy you could ride a 80 in it if you wanted track time , it was the perfect switch to a bigger bike , now a days to take your kid off a 85 and put him on a 250f is playing Russian roulette , no more wheel spin no more learning how to tame the beast . Let's face it anyone can turn the throttle and go fast on a 250f ,that's why we are seing the carnage on a WEEKLY basis inexperienced riders on a bike that don't take much to go fast.
The sad part it will take the Feds to turn it around you know the greedy mfg are not going to change it.
My opionon is it should be 125cc schoolboy at the local level and 250fs and up in college boy
timlake
3/24/2015 7:17am
Does horsepower have a direct effect on quality of racing and appeal to people outside the sport? Hell no.

7 to 8 years ago F1 cars were much faster than they are now, extra downforce, more powerful engines and it's been reigned back in.

Has the racing been affected from those reductions of speed directly? Nope.

I think we could quite easily have the same quality of SX and MX racing with less power for sure.

Would bike manufactures accept a change like that? Also Hell no.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
3/24/2015 7:30am
When I was a kid it was 100 cc schoolboy you could ride a 80 in it if you wanted track time , it was the...
When I was a kid it was 100 cc schoolboy you could ride a 80 in it if you wanted track time , it was the perfect switch to a bigger bike , now a days to take your kid off a 85 and put him on a 250f is playing Russian roulette , no more wheel spin no more learning how to tame the beast . Let's face it anyone can turn the throttle and go fast on a 250f ,that's why we are seing the carnage on a WEEKLY basis inexperienced riders on a bike that don't take much to go fast.
The sad part it will take the Feds to turn it around you know the greedy mfg are not going to change it.
My opionon is it should be 125cc schoolboy at the local level and 250fs and up in college boy
It's scary that parents take their kids straight out of mini classes and put them in 250/450 C or B. It's not necessary. The schoolboy class is alive and well at the big races. I would make my kid ride schoolboy on a 125 for at least a year, a 250f in the B classes, and he wouldn't touch a 450 until he was an A rider or reaches a certain level of physical maturity.
OnRails
3/24/2015 7:30am
God, you are so old it shows. Please just give this shit up. I know you want "to live the dream" again and rock out with your cock out to Led Zeppelin, smoke meth in staging then bang out a 45 minute moto on a 600 two stroke but IT'S OVER DUDES.

Go back into your man caves and put in your 1985 VCR tape of goddamn I don't know and I don't care SX and live it up all you want.

Change is really hard for old people, clearly. It's been like 10 years and you guys still circle jerk each other to the high heavens.

Keep it real bros. 2 strokes for life.
Hut
3/24/2015 7:30am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2015 7:31am
125 pingers? YES
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
3/24/2015 7:36am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2015 7:37am
OnRails wrote:
God, you are so old it shows. Please just give this shit up. I know you want "to live the dream" again and rock out with...
God, you are so old it shows. Please just give this shit up. I know you want "to live the dream" again and rock out with your cock out to Led Zeppelin, smoke meth in staging then bang out a 45 minute moto on a 600 two stroke but IT'S OVER DUDES.

Go back into your man caves and put in your 1985 VCR tape of goddamn I don't know and I don't care SX and live it up all you want.

Change is really hard for old people, clearly. It's been like 10 years and you guys still circle jerk each other to the high heavens.

Keep it real bros. 2 strokes for life.
see video posted by jefro98...

Post a reply to: Everybody agree the 125 class is badly needed?

The Latest