Everts on Suzuki leaving MXGP

mccread
2/28/2018 2:56pm
Got to speak with a very honest Stefan Everts to get his side on what happened with Suzuki leaving MXGP - and he still doesn’t understand the timing or why it happened. He also gave his thoughts on the leading contenders for the MXGP series and Cairoli potentially equalling his record of ten world titles:

Everts on Suzuki interview
|
Motofinne
2/28/2018 3:20pm
"Maybe some things we could have done in a different but in the end I didn’t regret the direction I wanted to go. I definitely didn’t want to follow Geboers’ direction because for me I don’t believe in his way because for me he never succeeded in winning a lot so I definitely didn’t want to follow his way. And his job as senior consultant should have been on our side and not on his side and this was a pity. So, yeah it was tough, it was really tough."

Can someone explain this.
doghouse
2/28/2018 3:43pm
Damn. Throwing shade.
MXMattii
2/28/2018 3:49pm
I'm reading the dutch one from a newspaper and the only thing I can read between the lines is that Rockstar Energy and Geboers fucked him over big time. But no proof is given so is it a gut feeling?

It is sad that he's so bitter.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
2/28/2018 3:53pm
Motofinne wrote:
"Maybe some things we could have done in a different but in the end I didn’t regret the direction I wanted to go. I definitely didn’t...
"Maybe some things we could have done in a different but in the end I didn’t regret the direction I wanted to go. I definitely didn’t want to follow Geboers’ direction because for me I don’t believe in his way because for me he never succeeded in winning a lot so I definitely didn’t want to follow his way. And his job as senior consultant should have been on our side and not on his side and this was a pity. So, yeah it was tough, it was really tough."

So because he won more in his career he knows how to manage a team better? I'm pretty sure Seewer and Strijbos would disagree. I'm sorry, but after the KTM/Herlings thing and now suzuki, I'm a fan of Everts as a racer but not as a person. He comes off as really arrogant and that he believes his way is best for everyone. I could be wrong though

The Shop

Johnny Depp
2/28/2018 3:53pm
Hmm, sounds like Goeber's was his boss, and he ignored his "guidance" and got "fired"?
doghouse
2/28/2018 3:57pm
Motofinne wrote:
"Maybe some things we could have done in a different but in the end I didn’t regret the direction I wanted to go. I definitely didn’t...

mattyhamz2 wrote:
So because he won more in his career he knows how to manage a team better? I'm pretty sure Seewer and Strijbos would disagree. I'm sorry...
So because he won more in his career he knows how to manage a team better? I'm pretty sure Seewer and Strijbos would disagree. I'm sorry, but after the KTM/Herlings thing and now suzuki, I'm a fan of Everts as a racer but not as a person. He comes off as really arrogant and that he believes his way is best for everyone. I could be wrong though
I think he was talking about Suzuki team wins, not personal
line-up
2/28/2018 3:57pm
In a few interviews Stefan also mentioned that Suzuki Japan offered him, RC and JGR the exact same deal, factory parts but zero financial support and JGR was the one of the three willing to put the money on the table in order to finally gain that "factory" status.
kkawboy14
2/28/2018 4:01pm
God job Mrccreed! Finally more answers!
doghouse
2/28/2018 4:01pm
line-up wrote:
In a few interviews Stefan also mentioned that Suzuki Japan offered him, RC and JGR the exact same deal, factory parts but zero financial support and...
In a few interviews Stefan also mentioned that Suzuki Japan offered him, RC and JGR the exact same deal, factory parts but zero financial support and JGR was the one of the three willing to put the money on the table in order to finally gain that "factory" status.
Not surprising. Suzuki is really hurting.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
2/28/2018 4:02pm
Motofinne wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:
So because he won more in his career he knows how to manage a team better? I'm pretty sure Seewer and Strijbos would disagree. I'm sorry...
doghouse wrote:
I think he was talking about Suzuki team wins, not personal
Didn't even think about that. My bad!
make1go
2/28/2018 4:10pm
Seems to be about as honest as anyone could be in a bad situation and had praise for most of his riders.

Having diffefences in approaches and not being able to find common ground is common and its hardly "throwing shade" to anyone mature enough to regonize the difference..

Good on him for taking a step back and concentrating on his son, will give him a clearer picture of what to do next.
doghouse
2/28/2018 4:34pm
make1go wrote:
Seems to be about as honest as anyone could be in a bad situation and had praise for most of his riders. Having diffefences in approaches...
Seems to be about as honest as anyone could be in a bad situation and had praise for most of his riders.

Having diffefences in approaches and not being able to find common ground is common and its hardly "throwing shade" to anyone mature enough to regonize the difference..

Good on him for taking a step back and concentrating on his son, will give him a clearer picture of what to do next.
Lighten up Francis, I was joking.
BobbyM
2/28/2018 4:51pm
mccread wrote:
Got to speak with a very honest Stefan Everts to get his side on what happened with Suzuki leaving MXGP - and he still doesn’t understand...
Got to speak with a very honest Stefan Everts to get his side on what happened with Suzuki leaving MXGP - and he still doesn’t understand the timing or why it happened. He also gave his thoughts on the leading contenders for the MXGP series and Cairoli potentially equalling his record of ten world titles:

Everts on Suzuki interview
Sounds like an asshole. He fucked up its obvious.
malachi177
2/28/2018 5:32pm Edited Date/Time 2/28/2018 5:33pm
doghouse wrote:
Not surprising. Suzuki is really hurting.
Omg, it's like ground hog day here. Just stop.

To the OP, Everts does come across as having a "little" bit of an ego.
3/1/2018 2:15am
Geboers had more succes with Suzuki as Everts .. must have hurt
mccread
3/1/2018 3:15am
kkawboy14 wrote:
God job Mrccreed! Finally more answers!
Thanks!
Belg
3/1/2018 3:55am
when pichon raced everts you can say suzuki had success !! more than the last years with everts . thing that also strikes my mind is the fact that suzuki dealers need to pay 50€ to get inside the suzuki area in the mxgp @ lommel ! that's peanuts , i know , but most dealers where very mad for this because the other brands where giving dealers invitation to come to gp for free and entrance everywhere . was it everts or suzuki who leaves the dealers in the cold ...
3/1/2018 6:09am
malachi177 wrote:
Omg, it's like ground hog day here. Just stop.

To the OP, Everts does come across as having a "little" bit of an ego.
"little bit of an ego!" I reckon I'd have a little bit of an ego if I had even raced a gp , let alone won a 100+ and 10 world championships!!
But yes, he does come across a bit confident in him self usually, but I reckon the confidence has got a dent in it now . I hope it makes him a better person and that he doesn't disappear from the GP scene altogether.
roninho
3/1/2018 7:43am
"little bit of an ego!" I reckon I'd have a little bit of an ego if I had even raced a gp , let alone won...
"little bit of an ego!" I reckon I'd have a little bit of an ego if I had even raced a gp , let alone won a 100+ and 10 world championships!!
But yes, he does come across a bit confident in him self usually, but I reckon the confidence has got a dent in it now . I hope it makes him a better person and that he doesn't disappear from the GP scene altogether.
To me Everts just comes across as the superstar/top athlete who is used to having things done his way because his way works for him. Which is fine when you are 1 of 2 or 3 riders capable of winning a world title. But being a team manager requires different capabilities and a different way of working. And quite frankly it appears he is not good at it.

He failed at attrating a main sponsor: It was the first comment by Suzuki and Geboers when he took over, and it was a recurring theme: Do you have a main sponsor.
He failed to get the most out of his riders because he only knows his way: Herlings, Strijbos, Seewer, Lawrence. They all made public statements on this.
He failed to understand the art of mastering the politics for getting OEM factory support: It was a total surprise to him when Suzuki quit.
roninho
3/1/2018 7:49am
Quite an interesting quote by Everts in a Belgium newspaper on Suzuki leaving (i've translatedi t from dutch to english):
"You know, i really didnt see it coming. Looking back i should have known. From the start when i bought the team (editor: he bought the team end of 2015 from Sylvain Geboers) there was 1 question that was repeated over and over: Do you have a big sponsor? Rockstar after all had quit after a dirty game behind the scenes. So financially it was allready not a good situation at Suzuki. The question remains for me if Sylvain who had been working with the Japanese for 25 years knew this, and if the feeling i have of being betrayed is deservedly"

roninho
3/1/2018 7:59am
Motofinne wrote:

In the Belgium newspaper he says something that he wanted to work differently because he felt that Suzuki under Geboers wasnt as succesfull as they should have been.

The final part i translate as: Sylvain was now an 'employee' who should work according to the vision of the new boss, and not work according to his own vision. My translation so not sure if it is correct, but also not uncommon to see when the owner sells his company that they fail to realise they are now an employee who have to accept that things are being changed.
mccread
3/1/2018 11:42am
Motofinne wrote:

roninho wrote:
In the Belgium newspaper he says something that he wanted to work differently because he felt that Suzuki under Geboers wasnt as succesfull as they should...
In the Belgium newspaper he says something that he wanted to work differently because he felt that Suzuki under Geboers wasnt as succesfull as they should have been.

The final part i translate as: Sylvain was now an 'employee' who should work according to the vision of the new boss, and not work according to his own vision. My translation so not sure if it is correct, but also not uncommon to see when the owner sells his company that they fail to realise they are now an employee who have to accept that things are being changed.
It certainly seems like they both wanted to go in different directions.
brimx153
3/1/2018 12:20pm
I don't understand it from Lawrence especially. You hav a 10 time world champ telling you wat to do .you are doing your first year as a pro .But you know better already ! Does nt seem like he was willing to listen . Or give it a chance for even just one year . As for stribos. I remember in 07 everts was asked who will be the next champ. And he said if Kevin could get his head right he would win everything and he was the most talented rider in the class . Again I don't understand why stribos would want to do thing s his own way .it has nt worked for the last 10 year s. If he won a few world championship s .sure do things your own way as you prob no best yourself .but if you havent won .surely its time to change things up .. It's like way dv said all these riders keep doing the same thing and expect different result s .if you are not winning you should surely be open to change your program
brimx153
3/1/2018 12:27pm
roninho wrote:
To me Everts just comes across as the superstar/top athlete who is used to having things done his way because his way works for him. Which...
To me Everts just comes across as the superstar/top athlete who is used to having things done his way because his way works for him. Which is fine when you are 1 of 2 or 3 riders capable of winning a world title. But being a team manager requires different capabilities and a different way of working. And quite frankly it appears he is not good at it.

He failed at attrating a main sponsor: It was the first comment by Suzuki and Geboers when he took over, and it was a recurring theme: Do you have a main sponsor.
He failed to get the most out of his riders because he only knows his way: Herlings, Strijbos, Seewer, Lawrence. They all made public statements on this.
He failed to understand the art of mastering the politics for getting OEM factory support: It was a total surprise to him when Suzuki quit.
Herring s .seewer and Lawrence all had great results .I am not saying everts was the reason why .But the idea that these riders underperformed because of everts is stupid .just go look at the results . I don't see how these 3 underperformed
3/1/2018 2:51pm
what was the "dirty game behind the scenes" with Rockstar?
Akira
3/1/2018 8:27pm
x2
ML512
Fantasy
36th
3/1/2018 8:34pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 8:34pm
brimx153 wrote:
I don't understand it from Lawrence especially. You hav a 10 time world champ telling you wat to do .you are doing your first year as...
I don't understand it from Lawrence especially. You hav a 10 time world champ telling you wat to do .you are doing your first year as a pro .But you know better already ! Does nt seem like he was willing to listen . Or give it a chance for even just one year . As for stribos. I remember in 07 everts was asked who will be the next champ. And he said if Kevin could get his head right he would win everything and he was the most talented rider in the class . Again I don't understand why stribos would want to do thing s his own way .it has nt worked for the last 10 year s. If he won a few world championship s .sure do things your own way as you prob no best yourself .but if you havent won .surely its time to change things up .. It's like way dv said all these riders keep doing the same thing and expect different result s .if you are not winning you should surely be open to change your program
All I know is from talking to people on the team that weren't the riders so they had more of a wide view of how they all interacted...not a lot of good was said about Everts' managerial style and handling of the riders...or the handling of the relationship with Suzuki. Based on so many rider's comments not being complimentary of working with him, there's a bit of a pattern there...

Just cause he was a 10 time world champ doesn't mean he's world class manager.
roninho
3/1/2018 10:44pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 10:55pm
brimx153 wrote:
Herring s .seewer and Lawrence all had great results .I am not saying everts was the reason why .But the idea that these riders underperformed because...
Herring s .seewer and Lawrence all had great results .I am not saying everts was the reason why .But the idea that these riders underperformed because of everts is stupid .just go look at the results . I don't see how these 3 underperformed
I think ML512 describes it good: just because he was a 10 time world champ doesn't mean he's a world class manager.

It is not common that riders speak out negative on the quality of team management. With Everts there have been a bunch of riders who have speaken out in public that Everts style of handling the riders was not beneficial to them. How much impact it had on the results i don't know, but the fact that so many riders say this is telling.
roninho
3/1/2018 10:53pm
Akira wrote:
x2
This was said by Everts in a Belgium newspaper:

"You know, i really didnt see it coming. Looking back i should have known. From the start when i bought the team (editor: he bought the team end of 2015 from Sylvain Geboers) there was 1 question that was repeated over and over: Do you have a big sponsor? Rockstar after all had quit after a dirty game behind the scenes. So financially it was allready not a good situation at Suzuki. The question remains for me if Sylvain who had been working with the Japanese for 25 years knew this, and if the feeling i have of being betrayed is deservedly"

Looks like Everts bought the team and failed to realize that Suzuki would not fund the team long term just by itself (= you have a year or 2 to find a main sponsor or we quit). And looks like he feels that Geboers knew this and failed to disclose this.

As the dirty act on Rockstar: Maybe he refers to OEMS fighting for the sponsorship? Didn't rockstar move to Husqvarna at that time?

Post a reply to: Everts on Suzuki leaving MXGP

The Latest