Ever put bikes on a pop-up camper?

MXEditor
Edited Date/Time 6/4/2012 1:56pm
I was just wondering if anyone has (successfully) strapped their bikes to the top of a pop-up camper - like this kind? I've seen bicycles on the setup but never a MX bike?

TIA - Sean

|
kxking
Fantasy
1235th
5/30/2012 11:18am
It should be able to take the weight (if its a 2 stroke)........
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
5/30/2012 11:20am
If you are fabricator inclined or know somebody, I've seen people add 2-3 carrier rails in front of the camper by extending the steel tongue beams out 3-4 feet. You would have to move the propane tank as well. IF you put them on top, your trailers axles is not made to handle tipping.If windy or tight turn happen, plan on the trailer tipping over and damaging the bikes and your camper. So I would not recommedn this modification going ontop of the camper.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
5/30/2012 11:22am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2012 11:23am
The end result would look something like this keeping the weight at a safer level. If yoiu put them on the camper, it can take the weight, just would not be safe to drive and risk damaging your rides..

MXEditor
5/30/2012 11:22am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2012 1:34pm
kxking wrote:
It should be able to take the weight (if its a 2 stroke)........
I'm thinking 2?

and maybe a pitbike on the top/back?

The Shop

Hallzilla
5/30/2012 11:22am
I've seen the small 110 size bikes but never a big bike, Maybe mounting rails ? But those damn tires look shady. Could see moving the propane tank, and mounting a joe hauler type rail in front of box, on the A frame, that would keep the weight off the tires..
wawazat
5/30/2012 11:41am
HAgent tried a bike, but did strap a ramp to the top of ours a few times. Ours had a luggage rack on it, so the weight was off the top part of the trailer. Guessing it weighed about 200 lbs, luggage rack said it would hold 200lbs. Wife shit when she saw what we had done, but it worked, don't know if I would trust a bike unless you got the racks and laid the bike down on a piece of wood or sheet metal.
peelout
5/30/2012 1:09pm
fuck it, what's the worst that could happen?

just make sure you use 1-3/4" grabbers and not 3" grabbers, nobody likes getting stabbed in the dome
Faceaz
5/30/2012 1:30pm
Wouldn't do it. I had one, fiberglass top & seemed pretty flimsy. I relocated the propane tank on the front & put a chanel on it for one bike. Then welded a couple 2" x 2" tube steel out the rear & put on a second chanel. Held 2 bikes fine, but I wouldn't consider putting one on top.
peelout
5/30/2012 1:33pm
a hot tub on top would be sick
bartoner
5/30/2012 1:36pm
i havent done it personally....but i had a neighbor once that did it...he had a fairly newer model pop-up trailer...and i know he did have to do some things to stiffen up the roof and provide anchor points for tie downs....but he would quite regulary go on weekend trips with two heavy XR400s on it....
P-Nut
5/30/2012 1:40pm
I wouldn't recommend it. Had a friend lose his trailer and his bikes
on the 405 in Los Angeles. Trailer sway is a dangerous thing...
Camp332
5/30/2012 1:42pm
That just doesn't seem like a good idea bro.
5/30/2012 1:50pm
peelout wrote:
fuck it, what's the worst that could happen? just make sure you use 1-3/4" grabbers and not 3" grabbers, nobody likes getting stabbed in the dome...
fuck it, what's the worst that could happen?

just make sure you use 1-3/4" grabbers and not 3" grabbers, nobody likes getting stabbed in the dome
I'm with ya. Make sure you have a go pro videoing it for us to watch to see how it works out.
Cygnus
5/30/2012 1:55pm
I see them all the time going up to the trails. Almost always KTM's on top too.
huck
5/30/2012 1:57pm
Adding another 500 to 600 pounds to something that only weighs 1000 pounds to begin with, always seems like a great idea!
ocscottie
5/30/2012 1:57pm
Remember these VW Bus pop ups? Traveled w/ my best friend and his dad from NorCal to Ponca in one towing a pro-trac trailer. Lucky to hit even 35mph on some of this hills lol

Still had one of the best times of my life, hit all the hot spots like Grand Canyon, Royal Gorge etc etc Good Times!! Cool I have a whole photo album from that trip that i wish i could find.

5/30/2012 2:00pm
ocscottie wrote:
Remember these VW Bus pop ups? Traveled w/ my best friend and his dad from NorCal to Ponca in one towing a pro-trac trailer. Lucky to...
Remember these VW Bus pop ups? Traveled w/ my best friend and his dad from NorCal to Ponca in one towing a pro-trac trailer. Lucky to hit even 35mph on some of this hills lol

Still had one of the best times of my life, hit all the hot spots like Grand Canyon, Royal Gorge etc etc Good Times!! Cool I have a whole photo album from that trip that i wish i could find.

Sorry, but that is some bad assery right there. Hippy as fuck. I can smell the weed rolling out of that little camper top...

I'd do that trip in a heartbeat.
huck
5/30/2012 2:01pm
ocscottie wrote:
Remember these VW Bus pop ups? Traveled w/ my best friend and his dad from NorCal to Ponca in one towing a pro-trac trailer. Lucky to...

Was there a bunk in those, or something? I always wondered what was "up there"....
mac3-d
5/30/2012 2:10pm Edited Date/Time 5/30/2012 2:13pm
ocscottie wrote:

wow my dad had one of these when I was around 6 yr old. there was 2 hammocks where 2 of my sisters slept. my brother slept across the front seats. mum & dad slept in the main proper sleeping area with an other sister sleeping at their feet. I think I got the best deal sleeping at the very back , a raised area (above the boot or maybe it was the engine) 7 of us toured England for many years, it,s that long ago now but many good memories (by the way don't think my dad was a hippy !!!)Cool

Huck the bunk as I described as hammocks were about 2ft 50cm wide wooden boards factory fitted with little foam for a mattress
Dude
5/30/2012 2:15pm
huck wrote:
Was there a bunk in those, or something? I always wondered what was "up there"....
The ability to stand up is what was "up there".
huck
5/30/2012 2:16pm
Dude wrote:
"Dude", that's it? That's lame. I always imagined it was something cool.
88sdad
5/30/2012 3:00pm
Dude wrote:
huck wrote:
"Dude", that's it? That's lame. I always imagined it was something cool.
About the size of a double bed, maybe a little shorter.

BIGRIGGIN
5/30/2012 3:04pm
I can fit 2 full size bikes on my pop up trailer. Not sure they are making this anymore but it's worked great for me. Fleetwood E3.
ayearinmx
5/30/2012 3:06pm
ocscottie wrote:

remember?? I still use it every time i'm in holland with Jefro haha (admittedly, his is slightly newer)
onetimepost
5/30/2012 4:02pm
MXEditor wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone has (successfully) strapped their bikes to the top of a pop-up camper - like this kind? I've seen bicycles on...
I was just wondering if anyone has (successfully) strapped their bikes to the top of a pop-up camper - like this kind? I've seen bicycles on the setup but never a MX bike?

TIA - Sean

Anyting's possible, really!
bartoner
5/30/2012 4:10pm
^ yeah that turned out great....

ocscottie
5/30/2012 4:23pm
ocscottie wrote:

huck wrote:
Yea a bunk up there, your head up where it is tall and feet point towards the rear where it slopes down. if i remember correctly, i was like 10yrs old (or even younger) I really need to find those pics! i shot something like 13 rolls of film w/. my little Instamatic camera. Some epic stuff!
pacetruckdrvr
5/30/2012 4:58pm
MXEditor wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone has (successfully) strapped their bikes to the top of a pop-up camper - like this kind? I've seen bicycles on...

TIA - Sean

If it is that coleman you are thinking about doing it with I would definately say no. I have been a Coleman dealer since the late 80's and I know that to even put a a/c unit on top they required an additional brace installed inside the roof, these roofs were only made of thin aluminum laminated to styrofoam then laminated to ceiling panelling. The best option for this would be to build a rack system from the frame just in front of the box at front and up and over the roof and down to the frame just past the box at the back, it would need to be pinned for removal but it would work. Still though the weight may be an issue unless you upgrade the axle.

Post a reply to: Ever put bikes on a pop-up camper?

The Latest