Ever have a friend tell you,,,,,

Racer92
Edited Date/Time 9/19/2012 7:37pm

|
peelout
9/19/2012 6:32am Edited Date/Time 9/19/2012 6:32am
Told a close friend and competitor that very thing about a Supercross quad I was jumping at our local track years ago. He didn't believe me and hit it 3rd wide. Exploded his foot and ankle on the face of the landing and it's never been the same. He still blames me
bigmaico
9/19/2012 6:44am Edited Date/Time 9/19/2012 6:44am
Yup I hear it all the time!

I think you told me something like that years ago & then you just smiled, I knew you were yanking my chainLaughing
Racer92
9/19/2012 6:58am
bigmaico wrote:
Yup I hear it all the time! I think you told me something like that years ago & then you just smiled, I knew you were...
Yup I hear it all the time!

I think you told me something like that years ago & then you just smiled, I knew you were yanking my chainLaughing
Trust me Howard, you will clear it easy. EvilWhistling
Grieby54
9/19/2012 7:01am Edited Date/Time 9/19/2012 7:03am
There's a triple step-up at a track I used to ride in Texas that I was told 5th tapped on. I didn't really believe that, so I hit it about 5th mid. The guy wasn't lying and I cased the shit out of that thing. Got back up, went back out, and 5th tapped did the job.

The Shop

BAMX
9/19/2012 7:30am
Who the heck counts gears as they are going around the track??? If you have to ask what gear, you probably shouldn't be trying it.
motosmith
9/19/2012 7:49am
BAMX wrote:
Who the heck counts gears as they are going around the track??? If you have to ask what gear, you probably shouldn't be trying it.
Exactly. When people ask me what gear I was in I just respond, I have no idea.
peelout
9/19/2012 7:53am
BAMX wrote:
Totally different from hitting a jump you've never done and riding 20 laps of practice, bro
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
9/19/2012 7:53am
I absolutely know what gear I am in at all times. I can not imagine riding around not knowing what gear I am in. Seems like a recipe to end up on your head.
jeffro503
9/19/2012 8:01am
Sometimes I'll ask what gear someone was in.....but a lot of the times you can tell by just watching them do it. Never hurts to ask.....and may help from casing the shit out of something or over jumping the SOB out onto the flat. I can usually always figure it out on my own......never really had a problem with that........it's always finding that " Hidden kicker " on the take off that can ruin your friggin' day!
TannerMxer
9/19/2012 8:04am
FGR01 wrote:
I absolutely know what gear I am in at all times. I can not imagine riding around not knowing what gear I am in. Seems like...
I absolutely know what gear I am in at all times. I can not imagine riding around not knowing what gear I am in. Seems like a recipe to end up on your head.
This. I mean, I have always been a "brainiac" in sports, especially when I played safety in football. I am always thinking about what gear I am in and what I can do to improve. I remember where I am shifting at in regards to turns and straights.

I guess it just depends on if you are an analytic rider or a feel rider: neither is right or wrong though.
TX_187
9/19/2012 8:08am
Grieby54 wrote:
There's a triple step-up at a track I used to ride in Texas that I was told 5th tapped on. I didn't really believe that, so...
There's a triple step-up at a track I used to ride in Texas that I was told 5th tapped on. I didn't really believe that, so I hit it about 5th mid. The guy wasn't lying and I cased the shit out of that thing. Got back up, went back out, and 5th tapped did the job.
Splendora MX?
reded
9/19/2012 8:11am
jeffro503 wrote:
Sometimes I'll ask what gear someone was in.....but a lot of the times you can tell by just watching them do it. Never hurts to ask.....and...
Sometimes I'll ask what gear someone was in.....but a lot of the times you can tell by just watching them do it. Never hurts to ask.....and may help from casing the shit out of something or over jumping the SOB out onto the flat. I can usually always figure it out on my own......never really had a problem with that........it's always finding that " Hidden kicker " on the take off that can ruin your friggin' day!
Don't like "Hidden kickers". I was knocked totally blind for a few minutes after hitting one of those and getting auggered back in '94.
tbanks
9/19/2012 8:14am
I usually always ask which gear for jumps. I remember the first time I tried hitting Big Gulp at Budds on my 125. My friend was doing it on his YZ125 and he said fourth gear wide open did the trick. However the main thing here was he was in A class and I was in C at the time.

Regardless I tried it and just about broke both my wrists coming up way short. I tried it first moto of the day and it ended my day as I was in so much pain ( I was racing two classes that day too, but thanks to an awesome mother I got my money back ha! ).

Later on in the day I watched him do it and realized he was carrying so much speed up the face, he was probably closer to 4th gear mid throttle. He was overjumping it a tad as well.
tbanks
9/19/2012 8:17am
jeffro503 wrote:
Sometimes I'll ask what gear someone was in.....but a lot of the times you can tell by just watching them do it. Never hurts to ask.....and...
reded wrote:
Don't like "Hidden kickers". I was knocked totally blind for a few minutes after hitting one of those and getting auggered back in '94.
I hit a kicker and it through my bike sideways so fast I thought I was gonna pull a 180. End result I snapped my leg in half right below the knee. Took 7 months to recover from and now one leg is longer than the other....
honda341
9/19/2012 8:23am
I have friends ask all the time what gear I am in and I can't ever tell them. I guess I am not "analytical" about my riding. I just hop on the bike and go. Easiest thing I have found is just have them follow you over it if you are unsure.
jeffro503
9/19/2012 8:31am
I hit a bad little " Hidden kicker " at my buddy Kory's practice track a few years back. It was a tricky 45' - 50' double coming out of a corner. I was hitting it all day long in 3rd , just rolling the throttle on and slightly touching the clutch to get the RPM's up a little before take off.

Final one.....the track was pretty dusty on the outside lines......I hit one and it had a bad kicker buried under all that dust. Threw me about 10' higher than I was before.....soaring through tree limbs with the front end pointing strait down.......landed on my front wheel.....and as I was finishing my "Ejection over the front "........I was stopped instantly by a 75' Douglas fir tree!

Got knocked out and ruined a $1500.00 custom VFX blowsion painted helmet! Man that one hurt! Broke the mouth guard and ruined it.
9/19/2012 8:33am
When my friends are being pussys... I jump on their bikes and don't even take a lap. Just go hit the jump right in front of them and look over at them in the air.

They'll usually nut up shortly after.

Modern bikes are SO good at jumping that it's made jumping pretty simple. 450's can do 100 feet with a blip. I'm over it. Hence why i bought the 125. Hitting shit wide open and grabbing gears IS MOTOCROSS to me. This blip and scrub shit is cool... just not the same. Smile
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
9/19/2012 8:39am
FGR01 wrote:
I absolutely know what gear I am in at all times. I can not imagine riding around not knowing what gear I am in. Seems like...
TannerMxer wrote:
This. I mean, I have always been a "brainiac" in sports, especially when I played safety in football. I am always thinking about what gear I...
This. I mean, I have always been a "brainiac" in sports, especially when I played safety in football. I am always thinking about what gear I am in and what I can do to improve. I remember where I am shifting at in regards to turns and straights.

I guess it just depends on if you are an analytic rider or a feel rider: neither is right or wrong though.
Preach on OCD brother!

I can't tell you how many times over the years I have seen guys wad themselves when they underjumped or overjumped. When you ask them what gear they were in they say "I don't know"... well, maybe that was the start of their problems...

For you guys that don't know what gear you are in... what gear do you start in? Just any old gear? Doesn't matter? Maybe 1st, maybe 3rd??? Whatever feels good that day??? hahahahaha
honda341
9/19/2012 8:54am
So you are saying that people that don't know what gear they are in are dumb? Hmmmm alright then.
Racer92
9/19/2012 8:57am
Grieby54 wrote:
There's a triple step-up at a track I used to ride in Texas that I was told 5th tapped on. I didn't really believe that, so...
TX_187 wrote:
Splendora MX?
I was thinking the same thing.
EMARacing
9/19/2012 9:08am
jeffro503 wrote:
Answer gear always works best for me.....
BAMX
9/19/2012 9:09am
BAMX wrote:
peelout wrote:
Totally different from hitting a jump you've never done and riding 20 laps of practice, bro
I still don't get it Broseph. Are they worried about over jumping it? Other than that, I would think that they should just go as fast as they can.
peelout
9/19/2012 9:25am Edited Date/Time 9/19/2012 9:26am
BAMX wrote:
peelout wrote:
BAMX wrote:
I still don't get it Broseph. Are they worried about over jumping it? Other than that, I would think that they should just go as fast...
I still don't get it Broseph. Are they worried about over jumping it? Other than that, I would think that they should just go as fast as they can.
LOL

this has been an enlightening morning
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
9/19/2012 9:48am
honda341 wrote:
So you are saying that people that don't know what gear they are in are dumb? Hmmmm alright then.
Are you talking to me? I don't think so, because I didn't say that. I said not knowing what gear I was in doesn't work for me and seems like a bad idea to me and probably has caused problems for some others.
Grieby54
9/19/2012 9:50am
Grieby54 wrote:
TX_187 wrote:
Splendora MX?
Racer92 wrote:
I was thinking the same thing.
That's the one. That place is a total shit-hole now though.
Racer92
9/19/2012 9:55am
Grieby54 wrote:
That's the one. That place is a total shit-hole now though.
Yep, it really is. Operative word here is: QUADS Angry
9/19/2012 10:05am
I don't think anyone actually 'counts' what gear their in when riding. Like someone else up there said, they can usually tell just by watching what gear someone is in. Usually just from the sound of the bike. For me, its more of an instinct i guess as to what gear I'm in. But at the same time, if I'm about to huck some big ass jump I've never done, I'll go in to neutral before I get to the corner and start in second, then go from there.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
9/19/2012 10:07am
My friends just ask me to jump something as "slow" as i can. lol If you know what they mean you may be fast. It usually helps them a lot.
peelout
9/19/2012 10:18am
I don't think anyone actually 'counts' what gear their in when riding. Like someone else up there said, they can usually tell just by watching what...
I don't think anyone actually 'counts' what gear their in when riding. Like someone else up there said, they can usually tell just by watching what gear someone is in. Usually just from the sound of the bike. For me, its more of an instinct i guess as to what gear I'm in. But at the same time, if I'm about to huck some big ass jump I've never done, I'll go in to neutral before I get to the corner and start in second, then go from there.
that's the point i was trying to make.

when i'm riding, i can feel what gear i'm in without having to count. instinct. if it's a new jump, however, i definitely know what gear i'm in. nothing like hitting a big booter a gear low or high... scary feeling
Insider347
9/19/2012 10:21am
Hey FGR01, if you ride a 125 that has a 6 speed tranny and you always know what gear you're in, you suck!! To go fast on a 125mx bike you have to be constantly shifting and jamming gears. C'mon man stop being a clown.

Post a reply to: Ever have a friend tell you,,,,,

The Latest