Euros are on it...

Hut
9/3/2017 3:17pm
sozo wrote:
AHAH I was there.... Tomac checked out 1st moto pretty good to say the least... Second Moto was a championship moto between 222 and 84... Tomac...
AHAH I was there.... Tomac checked out 1st moto pretty good to say the least... Second Moto was a championship moto between 222 and 84... Tomac had nothing to prove and wasn't getting paid to put it on the line, and it was so damn hot why take any risk.... He just did his moto and I think in his mind he knew where he was and definitely rode less enthusiastic and with less english so to say (PUT INTENDED) in that super hot 2nd moto... AND was even a good sport about it and gave credit where credit was due... So stop the BS ... they are all GREAT riders.
Meanwhile from the horses mouth... "suprised by the pace of those two early on", "track beat me up". Tomac set one 2:03 in that first moto...
Meanwhile from the horses mouth... "suprised by the pace of those two early on", "track beat me up". Tomac set one 2:03 in that first moto, Cairoli and Herlings both set that kinda pace more than once in a rougher second moto. Eli was just beaten straight up.
He was giving respect to those guys. He didn't get down and bow at their feet for christ sakes. He actually seemed pretty happy about it
pilotdude
9/3/2017 3:18pm
sozo wrote:
AHAH I was there.... Tomac checked out 1st moto pretty good to say the least... Second Moto was a championship moto between 222 and 84... Tomac...
AHAH I was there.... Tomac checked out 1st moto pretty good to say the least... Second Moto was a championship moto between 222 and 84... Tomac had nothing to prove and wasn't getting paid to put it on the line, and it was so damn hot why take any risk.... He just did his moto and I think in his mind he knew where he was and definitely rode less enthusiastic and with less english so to say (PUT INTENDED) in that super hot 2nd moto... AND was even a good sport about it and gave credit where credit was due... So stop the BS ... they are all GREAT riders.
That's what I was seeing also. 80-90% of all human communication is nonverbal, and Tomac's body language in that 2nd moto was, "I am not in attack mode." Why he wasn't in attack mode is the real question, but I think your post is pretty on point.
jeffro503
9/3/2017 3:19pm
sozo wrote:
Meanwhile from the horses mouth... "suprised by the pace of those two early on", "track beat me up". Tomac set one 2:03 in that first moto...
Meanwhile from the horses mouth... "suprised by the pace of those two early on", "track beat me up". Tomac set one 2:03 in that first moto, Cairoli and Herlings both set that kinda pace more than once in a rougher second moto. Eli was just beaten straight up.
And I believe what he said too Annie. I honestly think even if Eli would have given his 100% ( Which he may have ).....probably wouldn't of been able to run with those two.

What I'm saying is.....compared to last week , and qualifying yesterday , I was happy to see him ride and get it on the box.

Sand has never been a strong point for our American riders. Maybe never will , I don't know. And with that being said , I was happy with him giving those two guys some sort of a race in it.
Brent
9/3/2017 3:30pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2017 3:32pm
sozo wrote:
"Tomac had nothing to prove and wasn't getting paid to put it on the line"

I believe in fact he IS being paid to put it on the line.

Just a rough day and a rough track for him in the second moto. Eli admitted the track beat him up in the post race interview.

Why do members here keep trying to discredit the skill and fitness of non- US based racers? They train and eat the same as US riders, maybe a little better as proved by the results lately...

The Shop

9/3/2017 3:33pm
sozo wrote:
What I don't understand is if Eli says on the podium that he didn't have the pace in the second moto and they got away from him, then why come up with a string of bullshit excuses as to why he didn't win?
ATKpilot99
9/3/2017 4:00pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2017 4:01pm
What I don't understand is if Eli says on the podium that he didn't have the pace in the second moto and they got away from...
What I don't understand is if Eli says on the podium that he didn't have the pace in the second moto and they got away from him, then why come up with a string of bullshit excuses as to why he didn't win?
There is no excuse, and aside from st ann mores obvious trolling style there is a bit of truth to his point. The track was rougher in the second moto and our guys are a bit out of their element in the kind of rough it gets under the way they prep ( or don't prep ) the tracks in the GPs . I'd like to see more variety in AMA tracks, I.E. not as much ripping and watering but hey thats the way it goes. Also there is no shame in being beaten in a moto by Cairoli and Herlings, possibly the best 2 450 MX riders in the world at the moment. We can always hang out hat on the 250s where a guy who I don't believe has ever won an AMA moto ? Or maybe one, not sure, laid wood to the MX2 field today Smile
St Ann More
9/3/2017 4:26pm
sozo wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
And I believe what he said too Annie. I honestly think even if Eli would have given his 100% ( Which he may have ).....probably wouldn't...
And I believe what he said too Annie. I honestly think even if Eli would have given his 100% ( Which he may have ).....probably wouldn't of been able to run with those two.

What I'm saying is.....compared to last week , and qualifying yesterday , I was happy to see him ride and get it on the box.

Sand has never been a strong point for our American riders. Maybe never will , I don't know. And with that being said , I was happy with him giving those two guys some sort of a race in it.
Hey man, i'm with ya on that, it was good to see Eli turn it around after yesterday!

I think the track suited him today (much like JT$ suggested on the broadcast) and he's a great sand rider in my book. He's shown that in the past with blistering speed at Kegums, smoking Roczen at Southwick, coupled with his performance today! I know some would say none of those are 'true' bottomless pits but nonethless, he can ride the soft stuff!

tempura
9/3/2017 5:14pm
No crow on my plate...
Eli somewhat turned it around, and can't complain about that. At this point over the two weeks of racing, it's quite clear, Herlings and AC are on a lightly higher level, and that's ok, it gives something for Eli to strive for knowing that he isn't the fastest rider out there.
mccread
9/3/2017 5:14pm
Very, very surprised they levelled the track after Saturday. I wonder what made them do that as that does not usually happen in MXGP. Not sure why they wanted the track so smooth, it was bizarre to see such a smooth wide open track on the first motos on Sunday, Assen will be rougher by timed practice!

But it certainly helped Eli in that first moto where he could use his pinning it style to get the job done.... something that just didn't work on the Saturday.

But then that style didn't quite work as well when it got a bit rough again in moto two when you couldn't just rail the outsides and hold it wide open, showing the difference in the two styles of racing. You definitely have to be a lot more versatile and calculated to race MXGP, you can't just pin it on most GP tracks. In contrast aggression is what suits AMA tracks.

I feel Eli's speed is more track dependent, but when a track requires aggression like moto one, he is right there with the best two riders in the world! You could see the contrast between his AMA style and the GP guys during the whole weekend, when it was rougher or more technical Eli wasn't quite there with Cairoli or Herlings. .

jeffro503
9/3/2017 5:33pm
mccread wrote:
Very, very surprised they levelled the track after Saturday. I wonder what made them do that as that does not usually happen in MXGP. Not sure...
Very, very surprised they levelled the track after Saturday. I wonder what made them do that as that does not usually happen in MXGP. Not sure why they wanted the track so smooth, it was bizarre to see such a smooth wide open track on the first motos on Sunday, Assen will be rougher by timed practice!

But it certainly helped Eli in that first moto where he could use his pinning it style to get the job done.... something that just didn't work on the Saturday.

But then that style didn't quite work as well when it got a bit rough again in moto two when you couldn't just rail the outsides and hold it wide open, showing the difference in the two styles of racing. You definitely have to be a lot more versatile and calculated to race MXGP, you can't just pin it on most GP tracks. In contrast aggression is what suits AMA tracks.

I feel Eli's speed is more track dependent, but when a track requires aggression like moto one, he is right there with the best two riders in the world! You could see the contrast between his AMA style and the GP guys during the whole weekend, when it was rougher or more technical Eli wasn't quite there with Cairoli or Herlings. .

Quick question McCread.....why do you have your location as USA now?
pilotdude
9/3/2017 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2017 7:04pm
mccread wrote:
Very, very surprised they levelled the track after Saturday. I wonder what made them do that as that does not usually happen in MXGP. Not sure...

Looked to me like when a track requires aggression, he was ahead of them. But I realize it is impossible for you to acknowledge that.
ATKpilot99
9/3/2017 6:04pm
mccread wrote:

lol
ATKpilot99
9/3/2017 6:12pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2017 6:16pm
mccread wrote:

pilotdude wrote:
Looked to me like when a track requires aggression, he was ahead of them. But I realize it is impossible for you to acknowledge that.
No 30 seconds ahead is right there with them . Pay attention. The 2 best riders in the world just get a little uncomfortable when the speeds get higher Smile
mccread
9/3/2017 7:20pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2017 7:31pm
mccread wrote:

pilotdude wrote:
Looked to me He got the holeshot and pinned it while Herlings and AC started about tenth, Herlings actually closed the gap when he got into second then backed it off...

Tomac is as fast as them on smooth wide open tracks that suit his style. He took the opportunity that the track conditions provided in moto one and earned the win with the holeshot and his speed. Second moto they started together on a rougher track and you saw what happened...

Horses for courses. I think Tomac is an awesome rider but his AMA skill set is the total opposite of what is generally required in MXGP to be world mx champ, which is why it was fascinating to see the difference the track conditions made for him in each practices session and the three races.

It's the same reason Herlings doesn't think riding at Aldon Baker's is the right way to go for GP preparation because you can't race slower more technical GP tracks wide open like you can the big wide and loamy US tracks.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
9/3/2017 8:10pm
mccread wrote:
Looked to me He got the holeshot and pinned it while Herlings and AC started about tenth, Herlings actually closed the gap when he got into...
Looked to me He got the holeshot and pinned it while Herlings and AC started about tenth, Herlings actually closed the gap when he got into second then backed it off...

Tomac is as fast as them on smooth wide open tracks that suit his style. He took the opportunity that the track conditions provided in moto one and earned the win with the holeshot and his speed. Second moto they started together on a rougher track and you saw what happened...

Horses for courses. I think Tomac is an awesome rider but his AMA skill set is the total opposite of what is generally required in MXGP to be world mx champ, which is why it was fascinating to see the difference the track conditions made for him in each practices session and the three races.

It's the same reason Herlings doesn't think riding at Aldon Baker's is the right way to go for GP preparation because you can't race slower more technical GP tracks wide open like you can the big wide and loamy US tracks.
Right. So which Supercross events do we see the KTM duo at next year?
tempura
9/3/2017 8:24pm
GuyB wrote:
Right. So which Supercross events do we see the KTM duo at next year?
You should know better, not to take the bait.
To answer your question, as you know, it's unlikely they'll be attending any supercross events. Generally the euro dudes have no interest in that part of racing, they don't practice it or race it. Motocross is a better comparison, as both series (us Vs them mentality) race it.
ATKpilot99
9/3/2017 8:24pm
mccread wrote:

pilotdude wrote:
mccread wrote:
Looked to me He got the holeshot and pinned it while Herlings and AC started about tenth, Herlings actually closed the gap when he got into...

I think Herlings and AC were like 4th and 5th by lap 2 and Tomac gapped the defending world champ by 10 seconds in 4 laps. Herlings got into second by the halfway mark and when he realized he was not putting a dent in the lead he backed off. Also Eli did pretty well against the rest of the gp competitors on that rough second moto track.
mccread
9/3/2017 8:29pm
What has SX, an American sport, got to do with motocross racing and the USGP?

The KTM duo will be riding Lommel in the middle of winter in preparation for the 2018 motocross world championship.

Which is part of the reason why if you want to be the best MX rider in the world you have to race MXGP to prove it and if you want to be the best supercross rider in the world you go to American to prove it.

Horses for courses.
tingo
9/3/2017 8:34pm
We had to leave before the final 450 moto. Did Eli start doing the pedestrian tunnel quad in the second moto? JH and AC, among others, were gaining so much time there in the first moto.
biscuit11
9/3/2017 8:39pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2017 8:42pm
I was there Eli was pulling away from Herlings and Cairoli even when they had clear track. Moto 2 obviously went differently.

I'm curious why nobody has mentioned what Cairoli said about why Herlings is riding so well in his post race interview? Says he is fresher than everyone based on what happened earlier in the season with his injuries. Maybe Cairoli feels the Herlings hype is a little exaggerated and he was out to prove a point today before he went down? On that theory Eli deserves even more respect what was this 30 races in 35 weeks?? Crazy supercross points battle and never got to recover before all pressure was put on him for outdoors being the favorite.

FlaNard
9/3/2017 8:46pm
I'm kind of surprised there is still so much shit talking. Seems to me that everyone can take something positive away from the weekend. Both sides are the real deal and this weekend proved it once again. Congrats to Herlings and RJ on the wins.
jeffro503
9/3/2017 8:53pm
mccread wrote:
What has SX, an American sport, got to do with motocross racing and the USGP? The KTM duo will be riding Lommel in the middle of...
What has SX, an American sport, got to do with motocross racing and the USGP?

The KTM duo will be riding Lommel in the middle of winter in preparation for the 2018 motocross world championship.

Which is part of the reason why if you want to be the best MX rider in the world you have to race MXGP to prove it and if you want to be the best supercross rider in the world you go to American to prove it.

Horses for courses.
I guess I'll ask again. Why do you have your location as USA now? Did you move here?
SCR
9/3/2017 9:36pm
mccread wrote:

pilotdude wrote:
mccread wrote:

So Tomac doesn't have the skill set to be a GP champion yet he went 1-3 holeshotting and dominating moto 1. And got 2nd overall beating the new GP world champ on the day.

Tomac can only go fast on smoother easy tracks, yet he won the last 5 out of 6 GP motos he raced including riding by the best GP riders in the world on a rough technical Glen Helen track just as impressively as Herlings did a week ago.

Who do you think your talking to here. We all saw the race too. We had one guy in the 450 class to represent the US and he went 1-3. Then gave a classy podium interview.

Then one of our top 15 guys went 1-1.

I don't think your theory about the superior skill set of GP riders on rough technical tracks holds water.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter the track or the Country. The fastest guys are going to win. And the US has won more times, more often for more years than any other few countries combined.
Right.

Anyway.
Herlings is a real racer, coming over and racing a National to warm up for the GP. I'm a fan.

Coiroli. Always a class act. And fast as ever.

TDeath21
9/3/2017 9:37pm
FlaNard wrote:
Man tough crowd in here. Our guys looked great at the US GP races last year. They were in it at the MXDN even down a...
Man tough crowd in here. Our guys looked great at the US GP races last year. They were in it at the MXDN even down a man who won a moto and got landed on. Now they're a bunch of bums? No wonder guys don't want to do these type of races if this is the thanks they get. Sometimes the better man/men won't be our guys. Everts in his day beat both RC and Stewart at the Des Nations. But RC won more than his share too. This is world class level and some days you just don't have it. Enjoy the show.
Everts never beat Carmichael unless you're referring to the races in which they weren't on equal machinery.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
9/3/2017 11:05pm
tempura wrote:
You should know better, not to take the bait. To answer your question, as you know, it's unlikely they'll be attending any supercross events. Generally the...
You should know better, not to take the bait.
To answer your question, as you know, it's unlikely they'll be attending any supercross events. Generally the euro dudes have no interest in that part of racing, they don't practice it or race it. Motocross is a better comparison, as both series (us Vs them mentality) race it.
I was commenting on McRead's courses for horses comment. Like it or not, the reality is that a lot of the focus here is for Supercross. It affects where sponsors and riders put their focus, and how riders here test and adapt for MX. Want to watch something interesting? Keep an eye on riders and suspension tuners in the early practice sessions at the nationals. With limited time to adapt between the two series, they're not always as dialed as they want to be.

Mostly, I think the comparison between "us" and "them" (whichever side you want to take) is interesting, but it's way bigger than a race or two a year. You get a very small measure of where everyone is at.
jemcee
9/3/2017 11:16pm
biscuit11 wrote:
I was there Eli was pulling away from Herlings and Cairoli even when they had clear track. Moto 2 obviously went differently. I'm curious why nobody...
I was there Eli was pulling away from Herlings and Cairoli even when they had clear track. Moto 2 obviously went differently.

I'm curious why nobody has mentioned what Cairoli said about why Herlings is riding so well in his post race interview? Says he is fresher than everyone based on what happened earlier in the season with his injuries. Maybe Cairoli feels the Herlings hype is a little exaggerated and he was out to prove a point today before he went down? On that theory Eli deserves even more respect what was this 30 races in 35 weeks?? Crazy supercross points battle and never got to recover before all pressure was put on him for outdoors being the favorite.

I think that interview had a lot to do with him being super hot and English being his second language.. I think what he meant was Herlings has to finish strong to try and catch them who started strong, I could be wrong though
jemcee
9/3/2017 11:20pm
FlaNard wrote:
I'm kind of surprised there is still so much shit talking. Seems to me that everyone can take something positive away from the weekend. Both sides...
I'm kind of surprised there is still so much shit talking. Seems to me that everyone can take something positive away from the weekend. Both sides are the real deal and this weekend proved it once again. Congrats to Herlings and RJ on the wins.
I'm surprised you're surprised haha I reckon it's been awesome! Both series being close is great for the sport..
I honestly can't understand why some people want one side to be dominant
9/3/2017 11:45pm
FlaNard wrote:
I'm kind of surprised there is still so much shit talking. Seems to me that everyone can take something positive away from the weekend. Both sides...
Monkeys just like to throw poop at each other Wink
Mit12
9/3/2017 11:46pm
sozo wrote:
Hut wrote:
True
It looked to me like Tomac wanted nothing to do with getting involved with the championship battle in the second Moto, it looked like he backed it down after he got into third. Cant take anything away from Herlings or Carioli they were on the gas. Great racing.
kongols
9/3/2017 11:47pm
Posts are vanishing. Must be a black hole.

Post a reply to: Euros are on it...

The Latest