Euros Representing Team USA in MXON

Speeddemon73
6/21/2021 6:08am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2021 1:12am
With only three rounds into the AMA outdoor season, I realize that talks of the Motocross of Nations may be a little early. However, one topic that has crossed my mind many seasons is the riders that get picked to represent the USA. More so, why are the European riders racing and living here in America not getting picked to represent team USA when the time comes? Through some quick googling I did not find anywhere where it specifically states that you have to be of a certain nationality to race for a specific team. Example: Team Puerto Rico has had many American racers represent them at this event in the past. I'm aware that most of the time the riders don't really have a say in which team they race for. Usually defaults to the nationality of the rider and whether or not they even get picked to race. Basically, it boils down to the rider saying yes or no most of the time, not all of the time, but most. So, this begs the question. When are we, the USA, going to start selecting the European racers that are racing and winning here in the USA to represent the USA at the MX of Nations. The hard truth is that our American boys just haven't been cutting the mustard compared to their fellow Euro racers. At the end of the day, I think Roger needs to start persuading riders like Roczen, Ferrandis, Lawrence, Musquin, etc to consider representing the USA. As it stands right now, I would be sending Cianciarulo, Ferrandis, and Lawrence to represent the USA at MXON this year. I guess how would you guys feel about our fellow Euros racing here in the USA representing team USA?
|
rohleder644
6/21/2021 6:11am
Nah, it’s not AMA vs GP’s. Gotta bleed red white and blue to fly the stars and bars. Even if that means we’re getting our asses kicked.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
6/21/2021 6:12am
Riders such as the Lawrence brothers and Roczen are quite proud of their heritage and home country (such as we are about the good ole USA)...to put it bluntly, they won't race for the USA, they would want to represent their own country at the event.
6/21/2021 6:13am
Nah, it’s not AMA vs GP’s. Gotta bleed red white and blue to fly the stars and bars. Even if that means we’re getting our asses...
Nah, it’s not AMA vs GP’s. Gotta bleed red white and blue to fly the stars and bars. Even if that means we’re getting our asses kicked.
Several guys from Europe are living in the USA, Citizens and will not being going back to their birth country after the racing career is over. I don't see how those guys haven't earned the right to race for USA if they want to.

The Shop

ayearinmx
6/21/2021 6:33am
Gajser raced Monster Cup a couple of times, I think that qualifies him.... and Herlings raced at Ironman, so that is definitely good enough....

I think Vialle has been on holiday at some stage to Disneyworld too
tiddlermx23
6/21/2021 6:37am
If we can't find 3 riders to represent us from our home soil then we don't need to show up. End of story.
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4250th
6/21/2021 6:40am Edited Date/Time 6/21/2021 6:40am
I will just patiently wait here for DV12 to answer if he would ever consider racing MXoN for team USA if he could/got offer.

His answer will be more creditable than the next 10 pages following.
spojetski
Fantasy
220th
6/21/2021 6:49am
I think you are missing the point of the whole MXON ... Lets have Cairoli, Gajser & Prado for team Belgium, as they are often training in Lommel ...
SCC
6/21/2021 6:51am
So if you can’t win the game change the rules? That’s what America stands for now?
GabeM
6/21/2021 6:57am
According to OP logic: every Olympic athlete that works, lives or trains in the US should be considered for the US team. Our Hockey team would dominate and our basketball team would be dreamier than the dream team.

It's important we still put our best guys out there as a barometer for how far US racers have fallen behind in MX.
Speeddemon73
6/21/2021 7:13am
No, I think some of you are not understanding the point I am trying to make. Let's say you have a foreign rider that moved from their home country to race in the American motocross circuit. The rider has been living, training, racing, winning, and making a living here in America for many, many years. The rider has even gone to the extent of becoming an American citizen. So why doesn't the team manager of Team USA consider this rider or others doing the same to represent USA at MXON?

To further emphasize my point. In December of 2018, Ken Roczen was asked in an interview with Motocross Action Magazine whether he had plans to move back to Germany. Ken said, "I am going to become a U.S. citizen, and since Germany does not allow dual citizenship, I will become an American." So why not pick Ken as a rider to represent Team USA then? And, no this isn't a plea for Team USA to pick Ken.

PabstBR11
6/21/2021 7:18am
No, I think some of you are not understanding the point I am trying to make. Let's say you have a foreign rider that moved from...
No, I think some of you are not understanding the point I am trying to make. Let's say you have a foreign rider that moved from their home country to race in the American motocross circuit. The rider has been living, training, racing, winning, and making a living here in America for many, many years. The rider has even gone to the extent of becoming an American citizen. So why doesn't the team manager of Team USA consider this rider or others doing the same to represent USA at MXON?

To further emphasize my point. In December of 2018, Ken Roczen was asked in an interview with Motocross Action Magazine whether he had plans to move back to Germany. Ken said, "I am going to become a U.S. citizen, and since Germany does not allow dual citizenship, I will become an American." So why not pick Ken as a rider to represent Team USA then? And, no this isn't a plea for Team USA to pick Ken.

I think you are missing most poeple's point including ML, They dont want to race for us, they want to represent there home country. So picked or not most if not all would decline.
Speeddemon73
6/21/2021 7:30am
No, I think some of you are not understanding the point I am trying to make. Let's say you have a foreign rider that moved from...

PabstBR11 wrote:
I think you are missing most poeple's point including ML, They dont want to race for us, they want to represent there home country. So picked...
I think you are missing most poeple's point including ML, They dont want to race for us, they want to represent there home country. So picked or not most if not all would decline.
It would be an interesting interview question for someone to ask. I would like to hear the racer's own responses.
kage173
6/21/2021 7:33am
As far as I'm concerned, if you're an American citizen then you an American. And you can represent our country as well as anyone else. Most immigrants (legal) love and value this country more than those born here.
GabeM
6/21/2021 7:35am Edited Date/Time 6/21/2021 7:36am

They could if they wanted to. Trampas Parker raced for Italy and several have raced for Puerto Rico, but unless they became an American and want to represent America, it doesn't make any sense.Of course Roger manages Team USA.
Mr. Afterbar
6/21/2021 7:49am
Why would you want them on the team? It makes absolutely no sense. Defeats the entire purpose of the event.
DonM
6/21/2021 7:50am
Back in the day you raced for the country in which your license was from….Billy Liles raced for Luxembourg once I believe…
6/21/2021 8:08am Edited Date/Time 6/21/2021 8:08am
Just because you dress as a women, doesn’t mean you’re a women.
OG725
6/21/2021 8:20am
With only three rounds into the AMA outdoor season, I realize that talks of the Motocross of Nations may be a little early. However, one topic...
With only three rounds into the AMA outdoor season, I realize that talks of the Motocross of Nations may be a little early. However, one topic that has crossed my mind many seasons is the riders that get picked to represent the USA. More so, why are the European riders racing and living here in America not getting picked to represent team USA when the time comes? Through some quick googling I did not find anywhere where it specifically states that you have to be of a certain nationality to race for a specific team. Example: Team Puerto Rico has had many American racers represent them at this event in the past. I'm aware that most of the time the riders don't really have a say in which team they race for. Usually defaults to the nationality of the rider and whether or not they even get picked to race. Basically, it boils down to the rider saying yes or no most of the time, not all of the time, but most. So, this begs the question. When are we, the USA, going to start selecting the European racers that are racing and winning here in the USA to represent the USA at the MX of Nations. The hard truth is that our American boys just haven't been cutting the mustard compared to their fellow Euro racers. At the end of the day, I think Roger needs to start persuading riders like Roczen, Ferrandis, Lawrence, Musquin, etc to consider representing the USA. As it stands right now, I would be sending Cianciarulo, Ferrandis, and Lawrence to represent the USA at MXON this year. I guess how would you guys feel about our fellow Euros racing here in the USA representing team USA?
Are they legal, naturalized citizens? Can they vote? (I mean legally)

If not, no they shouldn’t represent the USA at the MOTOCROSS DES NATIONS!
6/21/2021 8:28am

I think everyone understands just fine your point. Can I ask you why you would want a foreign rider to represent the US? So we haven't been able to get the job done so this is the level we go to get back to winning form? I think you also underestimate foreign pride. These riders get dual citizenship because they're employed in the states not because they don't love their own country. I would rather our own US born riders go, ride their hearts out, and lose than send some trumped up fake US superteam. That's what you want?
troymoto2
Fantasy
74th
6/21/2021 8:30am
With only three rounds into the AMA outdoor season, I realize that talks of the Motocross of Nations may be a little early. However, one topic...
Puerto Rico is considered part of the American territory, that's why you saw our guys racing under their flag.
GabeM
6/21/2021 8:31am
OG725 wrote:

Some are for tax reasons I believe.
OG725
6/21/2021 9:02am
OG725 wrote:

GabeM wrote:
Some are for tax reasons I believe.
Kind of like when “Le Garter Snake”, just wanted to be “David from Corona”. 🤣
Elliot
6/21/2021 9:03am
troymoto2 wrote:
Puerto Rico is considered part of the American territory, that's why you saw our guys racing under their flag.
As crazy as it sounds the only eligibility criteria FIM rules stipulate is that you hold a license from the national team's federation.

That's how Calvin Vlaanderen, a South African, got to ride for Team Netherlands.

OG725
6/21/2021 9:11am
Just because you dress as a women, doesn’t mean you’re a women.

romain524
6/21/2021 9:47am
Elliot wrote:
As crazy as it sounds the only eligibility criteria FIM rules stipulate is that you hold a license from the national team's federation. That's how Calvin...
As crazy as it sounds the only eligibility criteria FIM rules stipulate is that you hold a license from the national team's federation.

That's how Calvin Vlaanderen, a South African, got to ride for Team Netherlands.

Calvin has the two Nationalities, his family are both Dutch and South African, he can ride for both teams. But I remember some dramas with the South African federation when he won his first gp in Indonesia in 2018, he used the South African flag and national anthem on the podium but the SA federation said that he didn’t ask the permission to use the flag or something like this, which is stupid, they were not happy…
So after that story he decided to use the Dutch flag on the podiums and represent them at Des Nations.

Post a reply to: Euros Representing Team USA in MXON

The Latest