Europe v USA at the MXoN

Related:
Create New Tag

5/2/2020 2:44 AM

Some interesting statistics on the individual winners at the MXoN since 1981, Americans weren’t as dominant as it seemed after the 80s, but their influence was undeniable on the 90s generation of European riders.

MXoN stats Europe v USA

|

Gatedrop.com

SX King MC
World MX King Everts
US MX/SX Goat RC

5/2/2020 3:05 AM

the real question is when did the mxgp riders not look like the biggest goons the sports ever seen? from the worst gear to the worst riding styles, its only when Americas influence came in that those turkeys started doing better. Growing up i couldnt give 2 shits about the GP`s, nothing was cooler than Bradshaw/ Mcgrath etc . And this is coming fro a non American.

|

5/2/2020 4:20 AM

Photo
|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

5/2/2020 4:55 AM

|

5/2/2020 8:53 AM

cablecable wrote:

the real question is when did the mxgp riders not look like the biggest goons the sports ever seen? from the worst gear to the worst riding styles, its only when Americas influence came in that those turkeys started doing better. Growing up i couldnt give 2 shits about the GP`s, nothing was cooler than Bradshaw/ Mcgrath etc . And this is coming fro a non American.

Well, if you are not fishing,

You won't change your youth but just look at namur, maggiora, valkenswaard, lommel, talavera, all hrc bikes in the 80s, all mugen kitted bikes too, Geboers Malerbes Jobé Thorpe battles, all Rinaldi bikes, or Van de groot bikes, or all the ohlins conventional forks you did not see in the US in 94/95, the honda hrc pepsi with DeMaria and DeCoster as team manager, some oxbow gears in the 90s, all OCD helmets on the french riders, alu tanks, maico, cagiva, aprilia, TM bikes, carbon parts etc. The only real difference i would agree with is there were less JT and fox riders in europe in the 80s, which is when for me gears started to look good.

I am also a huge fan a SX (and Bradshaw and McGrath), more than MX, but there are exciting stuffs on both side.

Photo

|

5/2/2020 9:07 AM

I think a big thing lost in this debate of individual moto winners is that the US sends three and often keeps guys capable of winning at home. Canard in 14 was the best rider in the US by the time that MX season concluded. He didn’t even race as Tomac and Dungey were chosen over him. That’s just one example. Other countries it’s almost always their best three and the fourth probably didn’t have a chance. France during that win streak was the exception leaving Musquin home. So Europe overall has all their best guys and the US has three of its best. Historically a big advantage in a team event to almost always field three guys capable of winning. But a detriment when talking about moto winners.

|

5/2/2020 9:09 AM

cablecable wrote:

To be fair Euros were always better originally, Americans got good then dominant in the 80's and now it's more even with the Euro's edging it. So it's gone full circle really.

I remember Tony DiStefano racing a British GP one time in the 70's and getting schooled by Stuart Nunn. He's quoted as saying ''I couldn't understand it, I was going as fast as I could and I was in 17th place''.

|

5/2/2020 10:18 AM

mccread wrote:

Some interesting statistics on the individual winners at the MXoN since 1981, Americans weren’t as dominant as it seemed after the 80s, but their influence was undeniable on the 90s generation of European riders.

MXoN stats Europe v USA

What bothers me about this, is the back-handed compliments given to Team U.S.A.

|

5/2/2020 10:29 AM

Photo
|

If talk is cheap, silence must be expensive because nobody can afford it!

5/2/2020 11:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/2/2020 11:30 AM

USA vs World. Pay us if you wanna race us

|

5/2/2020 11:57 AM

The MXdN shows which nation is the fastest, not which side of the pond is.

You can't look at the overall winner, because Europe divides it's best riders into multiple teams; and you can't look at class winners because each class is one American vs a dozen Europeans.

|

5/2/2020 11:57 AM

mccread wrote:

MXoN stats Europe v USA

Suicidal_Tendencies wrote:

Did you expect anything different?

|

5/2/2020 1:46 PM

TDeath21 wrote:

I think a big thing lost in this debate of individual moto winners is that the US sends three and often keeps guys capable of winning at home. Canard in 14 was the best rider in the US by the time that MX season concluded. He didn’t even race as Tomac and Dungey were chosen over him. That’s just one example. Other countries it’s almost always their best three and the fourth probably didn’t have a chance. France during that win streak was the exception leaving Musquin home. So Europe overall has all their best guys and the US has three of its best. Historically a big advantage in a team event to almost always field three guys capable of winning. But a detriment when talking about moto winners.

In the last 6 races in 2014, Ryan Dungey beat Canard in 6 of the 12 motos, with Canard only beating Dungey in 4 of the motos.

|

5/2/2020 3:04 PM

TDeath21 wrote:

In the last 6 races in 2014, Ryan Dungey beat Canard in 6 of the 12 motos, with Canard only beating Dungey in 4 of the motos.

And it was clear to everyone that following the final MX round, Canard was the best 450 option for MXoN.

|

5/2/2020 3:08 PM

All I hope is they have their bandwidth or whatever is required for greater viewing traffic upgraded this year if planes are still grounded.

|

5/2/2020 3:55 PM

mccread wrote:

MXoN stats Europe v USA

Those aren’t actually compliments, just symptoms of mccread’s massive inferiority complex......

|

5/2/2020 4:19 PM

TDeath21 wrote:

And it was clear to everyone that following the final MX round, Canard was the best 450 option for MXoN.

Well to be fair the team was picked the morning of Unadilla (as it usually is) and I don’t believe Canard had really caught fire until those motos at Unadilla if memory serves me right.

|

5/2/2020 5:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/2/2020 5:18 PM

TDeath21 wrote:

He won the finally round, but that was just one race. He was still consistently getting beat by Dungey in the previous races, so I don't think one race swings the momentum his way.

|

5/2/2020 5:42 PM

TDeath21 wrote:

He won the finally round, but that was just one race. He was still consistently getting beat by Dungey in the previous races, so I don't think one race swings the momentum his way.

He won four out of the last six motos and, as always, the eye test is the better metric. It was pretty evident.

|

5/2/2020 5:51 PM

TDeath21 wrote:

He won four out of the last six motos and, as always, the eye test is the better metric. It was pretty evident.

And lost to both Dungey and Roczen who won the overalls in the two rounds before Utah. We will have to agree to disagree, but in my opinion, both motos count. wink

|

5/2/2020 7:33 PM

Not sure if this deserves a bigger eye roll or face palm. You really are one dimensional, mccread.

|

5/3/2020 7:54 AM

MX Geoff Jr is at it again.....trolling and spamming all in one....

|

5/3/2020 12:06 PM

mccread wrote:

MXoN stats Europe v USA

mccread, since you are cherry picking numbers trying to justify your preconceived opinions, how about you go ahead and figure the average finishing position for all US riders during those periods versus the average finishing position of all European riders........

😎

|

5/4/2020 5:02 PM

mccread wrote:

MXoN stats Europe v USA

Any progress on figuring the average finish of US riders each year vs the average finish of Euro riders?

|

5/6/2020 2:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/8/2020 1:08 AM

TDeath21 wrote:

Wtf are you talking about? Most countries can't find even two fast guys to the team, not to mention three

|

5/6/2020 6:37 PM

TDeath21 wrote:

keinz wrote:

Wtf are you talking about? Most countries can't find even two fast guys to the team, not to mention three

Yet most of those countries seemed to have no problem finding up to 6 fast riders when it came to past ISDT/ISDE efforts......

The smaller the team size, the easier it would be to fill with competitive riders. ISDE history suggests that the overall population isn’t the limiting factor for these types of events.

|

5/6/2020 8:11 PM

mccread wrote:

MXoN stats Europe v USA

Well , i see you're still a trolling dick head. Hey , how many MXoN's wins does your country have compared to ours since the 80's? How many podiums? Or what country has the most wins and podiums since the 80's? Hmm.....

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

5/7/2020 10:14 AM

jeffro503 wrote:

Well , i see you're still a trolling dick head. Hey , how many MXoN's wins does your country have compared to ours since the 80's? How many podiums? Or what country has the most wins and podiums since the 80's? Hmm.....

You havent won since 2011 and havent been on the podium since 2016..in fact you havent had a race win since 2016 We beat you straight up the last 3 seasons, and that includes Tommy Searle DNFing 2 motos and having to use an enduro guy at Assen... so STFU.

|

5/7/2020 10:57 AM

As long as herlings is healthy everybody else is sucking hind titty.

|