Eric Peronnard and the Future of Endurocross

sdfog1
Edited Date/Time 6/7/2017 8:22pm
I had an incredible opportunity to interview Eric Peronnard, the creator of Endurocross and many other motocross events. He stopped by to tell us about the changes to the Endurocross series as well as some other things that he has been up to.

https://youtu.be/ABqzVGRha0E?ecver=2" width="640" height="360

Since 34 minutes and change is quite a chunk of time, I also made a version solely pertaining to the format changes:

https://youtu.be/vve4Vv8SPvM?ecver=2" width="640" height="360
|
JM485
6/7/2017 10:06pm
Awesome, awesome interview, thanks for posting!

I liked a lot of the things he said, especially were he talked about how supercross is too corporate now and they are making a point to stay away from that. One of the great things about endurocross as a spectator is how accessible everyone is, no "you need a special ticket for this autograph" or "we're only signing for 10 minutes at this time" crap, everyone is open to talk and the riders as well as their mechanics are really nice people. If they can keep it as a core off-road event that really keeps the atmosphere that those types of races are known for then I think that would be a great thing, sounds like they aren't just a bunch of sellouts going for the big dollars.

I also like the idea of an amateur B-class. For the last four years or so I've done one race in the Open-Am class each year, and I've noticed that each year it gets harder and harder for a local guy to be competitive against the guys who have a place to practice and travel the entire circuit. Sounds like the B-class will be geared more toward guys like me who are just in it for maybe a race or two, and like to give it a shot when the series comes around locally rather than contend for the amateur championship and move up to the pros. I think it's great that he still sees this as an amateur driven sport, which I think it really is, since the support classes make up a decent part of the night program and often provide some great racing. I think it's really cool that someone with enough skill can come in off the street, qualify for the night show, and race in front of the crowd as a part of the event program.

Again, really great interview, makes me excited for the upcoming season. I'm planning on running the Reno round and potentially maybe trying to get to another one, but I'm not completely sure on that yet.

FWYT
6/7/2017 10:43pm
Nice! I'd like to try one of those races, too. Do they have a 50+ B class? Tongue
EddieC
6/7/2017 11:03pm
Everything Mr. Peronnard touches turns to Gold. A very humble good natured guy that loves all things dirt bike.

Bercy SX sold to ?
U.S. Open sold to FELD
Straight Rhythm sold to Red Bull
Endurocross sold to ?

sdfog1
6/8/2017 8:51am
JM485 wrote:
Awesome, awesome interview, thanks for posting! I liked a lot of the things he said, especially were he talked about how supercross is too corporate now...
Awesome, awesome interview, thanks for posting!

I liked a lot of the things he said, especially were he talked about how supercross is too corporate now and they are making a point to stay away from that. One of the great things about endurocross as a spectator is how accessible everyone is, no "you need a special ticket for this autograph" or "we're only signing for 10 minutes at this time" crap, everyone is open to talk and the riders as well as their mechanics are really nice people. If they can keep it as a core off-road event that really keeps the atmosphere that those types of races are known for then I think that would be a great thing, sounds like they aren't just a bunch of sellouts going for the big dollars.

I also like the idea of an amateur B-class. For the last four years or so I've done one race in the Open-Am class each year, and I've noticed that each year it gets harder and harder for a local guy to be competitive against the guys who have a place to practice and travel the entire circuit. Sounds like the B-class will be geared more toward guys like me who are just in it for maybe a race or two, and like to give it a shot when the series comes around locally rather than contend for the amateur championship and move up to the pros. I think it's great that he still sees this as an amateur driven sport, which I think it really is, since the support classes make up a decent part of the night program and often provide some great racing. I think it's really cool that someone with enough skill can come in off the street, qualify for the night show, and race in front of the crowd as a part of the event program.

Again, really great interview, makes me excited for the upcoming season. I'm planning on running the Reno round and potentially maybe trying to get to another one, but I'm not completely sure on that yet.

Agreed on all points! I'm happy to see the sport (hopefully) become more accessible. Thanks for the kind words.

The Shop

MXD
6/8/2017 8:59am
I don't have a chance to listen at the moment but I've never heard an interview from him that didn't cause me to walk away being impressed.
MelonFan123
6/8/2017 9:11am
EddieC wrote:
Everything Mr. Peronnard touches turns to Gold. A very humble good natured guy that loves all things dirt bike. Bercy SX sold to ? U.S. Open...
Everything Mr. Peronnard touches turns to Gold. A very humble good natured guy that loves all things dirt bike.

Bercy SX sold to ?
U.S. Open sold to FELD
Straight Rhythm sold to Red Bull
Endurocross sold to ?

Good interview!

He definitely seems like a good guy, and obviously a smart and capable promoter/businessman. Glad he's part of the sport.

Also, Endurocross was first sold to TEN (Owners of TransWorld MX among others) before recently being bought by Bonnier Group, with Eric still overseeing things. http://www.cycleworld.com/arenax-bonnier-motorcycle-group-assumes-opera…
Ted722
6/8/2017 10:34am
Dollar for dollar, the Endurocross' I've been to (as a spectator) are one of the best Motorsport entertainment values going today. I would think the riders get their money's worth as well.

Brought my daughter (who's really not into racing) to one last year and she was on the edge of her seat all night...for all classes. Pro's/Am's/Women/Vet's etc. There's great racing in all classes. Not just against competition, but against the track as well. Looking forward to going to the next one.
lumpy790
6/8/2017 2:14pm
Eric is a great asset to the Motorsports community and always thinking outside the box.

I drove from SC out to his Junior Moto-X in Oklahoma. He always runs a smooth event and that track was the safest yet technical track I have ever seen.
Johnny Depp
6/8/2017 4:53pm
Nice scoop on the interview Carter. (I've got a brother in Flower Mound)

Eric is a promoting genius and legend. He thinks so far outside the box that you can't even see the box.
He's even got the ear tuck going on.
I'm not sure I understand or comprehend all the changes, but he sure isn't trimming around the edges. Due to his reputation, I have faith that he knows how to steer the ship, and SuperEnduroCross
will grow and grow.

•After intermission, the top 12 riders from the Super EnduroCross gate pick race will be part of a bracket race where the top riders will compete three times with the winner earning one championship point. Top Racers Race 5 times per night rather than the previous 3

•Then we will have the Super EnduroCross B main (not part of a series championship) with the nine remaining Super EnduroCross riders and the winners of Amateur and Vet classes. The top two of that race will qualify for the Super EnduroCross main event. (Once you are moved up you can't move back down) Anti Sandbag Rule

Here's a link that makes it all easier to understand, but give Carter some clicks.

http://www.dirtrider.com/2017-ama-endurocross-racing-format-and-class-u…

sdfog1
6/8/2017 6:40pm
Nice scoop on the interview Carter. (I've got a brother in Flower Mound) Eric is a promoting genius and legend. He thinks so far outside the...
Nice scoop on the interview Carter. (I've got a brother in Flower Mound)

Eric is a promoting genius and legend. He thinks so far outside the box that you can't even see the box.
He's even got the ear tuck going on.
I'm not sure I understand or comprehend all the changes, but he sure isn't trimming around the edges. Due to his reputation, I have faith that he knows how to steer the ship, and SuperEnduroCross
will grow and grow.

•After intermission, the top 12 riders from the Super EnduroCross gate pick race will be part of a bracket race where the top riders will compete three times with the winner earning one championship point. Top Racers Race 5 times per night rather than the previous 3

•Then we will have the Super EnduroCross B main (not part of a series championship) with the nine remaining Super EnduroCross riders and the winners of Amateur and Vet classes. The top two of that race will qualify for the Super EnduroCross main event. (Once you are moved up you can't move back down) Anti Sandbag Rule

Here's a link that makes it all easier to understand, but give Carter some clicks.

http://www.dirtrider.com/2017-ama-endurocross-racing-format-and-class-u…

Thanks man. We are definitely lucky to have a guy like Eric so heavily involved in the sport.
mx617
8/17/2017 9:45am
I can't seem to find anything on TV Orr stream info. Is there a way to watch these?
early
Fantasy
2231st
8/17/2017 10:21am
mx617 wrote:
I can't seem to find anything on TV Orr stream info. Is there a way to watch these?
This. Doesnt seem to be a way to see the races which is a shame.
Ted722
8/17/2017 5:42pm
mx617 wrote:
early wrote:
Looks like it will be streaming on their endurocross.com website.
DannoJ919
8/17/2017 7:10pm
mx617 wrote:
early wrote:
Ted722 wrote:
It will be streaming starting at 8am Vegas time on sat. Both on the Endurocross site and the dirt rider site.
I've been here this week helping set the track up. It should be a good show. And there was a lot of thought put into the details that Eric talked about in the interview as far as track design.
Ted722
8/17/2017 7:24pm
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to watching online at Vegas and in person in Reno 9/23.
early
Fantasy
2231st
8/17/2017 9:46pm
mx617 wrote:
early wrote:
Ted722 wrote:
Thats fucking rad! Thanks for the info
JM485
8/17/2017 9:58pm
Ted722 wrote:
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to watching online at Vegas and in person in Reno 9/23.
I'll be there racing again (or, well, more like surviving), stop by the pits! Hopefully I'll have my new moto van by that time as well, can't wait!
Johnny Depp
8/18/2017 6:50am
Good luck, post up some pics when you can, and a ride report..
Ted722
8/18/2017 9:10am
Ted722 wrote:
JM485 wrote:
I'll be there racing again (or, well, more like surviving), stop by the pits! Hopefully I'll have my new moto van by that time as well...
I'll be there racing again (or, well, more like surviving), stop by the pits! Hopefully I'll have my new moto van by that time as well, can't wait!
Sounds good Josh! Trials and YZ? Yeah, I'll check out the pits again...just like Ontario. Grinning

Post a reply to: Eric Peronnard and the Future of Endurocross

The Latest