Eric Grondahl in the MX2 class at the Assen MXGP

9/17/2018 3:21am Edited Date/Time 9/17/2018 3:22am
If he would have gone EMX250, he wouldn't have qualified and couldn't race.... In MX2/MXGP it's just paying Luongo and you race, no qualifying.
eg351
9/17/2018 5:18am
DoubleA wrote:
#BigUpSwanny

Eric how much in total did the whole thing cost you?

What was the reason you didn't go into EMX?
It was around 2k for the whole trip.

I went MX2 because it’s the premier class to EMX and that’s what I race in the US at nationals. And you get a lot more track time in MX2. EMX only gets one practice and two motos. Not really worth the trip over for a one off race. And there was no qualifying in EMX this weekend.
Rs444
9/17/2018 5:30am
Think its quite cool that he dared to try what most american riders dont. Big up to gröndahl!
DoubleA
9/17/2018 5:40am
eg351 wrote:
It was around 2k for the whole trip. I went MX2 because it’s the premier class to EMX and that’s what I race in the US...

I went MX2 because it’s the premier class to EMX and that’s what I race in the US at nationals. And you get a lot more track time in MX2. EMX only gets one practice and two motos. Not really worth the trip over for a one off race. And there was no qualifying in EMX this weekend.
That's pretty cheap. Tried price it up for a American Amateur to come over the UK for a couple of weeks and is looking at the same price.

Also how annoying was it too look at Tom's face all weekend, was that worth the 2k Laughing

The Shop

crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
9/17/2018 5:49am
eg351 wrote:
I crashed and DNF’d the race.. I Body slammed the concrete. And for everyone else who has no clue about me and my life. I stopped...
I crashed and DNF’d the race.. I Body slammed the concrete.

And for everyone else who has no clue about me and my life. I stopped racing full time after supercross in 2017. I work for alias mx now and I’ve just been riding for fun. I raced southwick national for fun and qualified 23rd in the 450 class. But I don’t train anymore so I didn’t have the stamina to hold pace in the motos. I don’t get to ride half as much as I used too anymore. I also haven’t rode a 250 in over a year. I’m not making excuses for how much of a struggle this was for me just letting you guys in on everything. I have always wanted to race a GP and the opportunity came about a month ago so I said yeah I’d love too. So I flew over rode the race bike for one moto on Wednesday and headed to Assen.

You guys have no clue how tough a track that was to ride coming from the states. We have nothing half as deep as that track was. And these guys over here... definitely a faster pace at the back than at any national I’ve raced. And I’ve raced 10+ nationals. It was a lot to overcome in two short days but I finally felt somewhat comfortable in the second moto until I ran out of steam and then crashed.

Thanks to the people who stuck up for me and didn’t assume the worst ?

And thank you to the people who made this possible. Im forever thankful to have been given this opportunity.
Sounds like an awesome experience.
Sorry that some people are just idiots...

That was a tough GP to race though. The track and also the level. Usually there are a few locals that ride around in places 25 to 30. Not in NED... the locals smoke some of the GP regulars here because of the sand.
A guy like Lesiardo finished outside the points both motos. He won EMX250 last season...
Cortami79
9/17/2018 6:33am
Great to hear your insight about last weekend. Any words on the differences of the infrastructure etc compared to the nationals? Seems like they want to grow with the Nationals as well, so maybe they can use your input.
DonM
9/17/2018 7:02am
robkinuk wrote:
MX2 race 2 at Assen. 6 laps behind in a 30 min + 2 lap race. Sorry, but that's just being a mobile chicane!Shocked
eg351 wrote:
I crashed and DNF’d the race.. I Body slammed the concrete. And for everyone else who has no clue about me and my life. I stopped...

And for everyone else who has no clue about me and my life. I stopped racing full time after supercross in 2017. I work for alias mx now and I’ve just been riding for fun. I raced southwick national for fun and qualified 23rd in the 450 class. But I don’t train anymore so I didn’t have the stamina to hold pace in the motos. I don’t get to ride half as much as I used too anymore. I also haven’t rode a 250 in over a year. I’m not making excuses for how much of a struggle this was for me just letting you guys in on everything. I have always wanted to race a GP and the opportunity came about a month ago so I said yeah I’d love too. So I flew over rode the race bike for one moto on Wednesday and headed to Assen.

You guys have no clue how tough a track that was to ride coming from the states. We have nothing half as deep as that track was. And these guys over here... definitely a faster pace at the back than at any national I’ve raced. And I’ve raced 10+ nationals. It was a lot to overcome in two short days but I finally felt somewhat comfortable in the second moto until I ran out of steam and then crashed.

And thank you to the people who made this possible. Im forever thankful to have been given this opportunity.
Eric, Pay no attention to these guys...they have trolled on here for quite some time putting down and discrediting anything to do with American riders and races...Keep living the dream!
Nuffsaid
9/17/2018 7:14am
It’s like I use to tell my son when he was being groomed to ride GP, Every rider on a GP gate is a winner no matter what place they finish. Congratulations
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/17/2018 10:52am
Hey Eric, it's cool to see you checking off a wish list item. Thanks for letting everyone know about your weekend. Smile
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
9/17/2018 11:07am
robkinuk wrote:
MX2 race 2 at Assen. 6 laps behind in a 30 min + 2 lap race. Sorry, but that's just being a mobile chicane!Shocked
eg351 wrote:

Good on you for racing one of the hardest GP's for an American. I can't think of anything here that would even be somewhat close to Assen. Congrats on getting to go overseas and racing a GP. Any plans for racing any SX or MX next year?
9/17/2018 11:16am Edited Date/Time 9/17/2018 11:17am
Unfortunate that a few people on this site have seemingly made it their life goal to shit talk American motocross any chance they get, even when someone takes advantage of a possible once in a life time opportunity.

Not exactly surprising that a decent chunk of these people are from the UK, either. It's actually pretty sad if you ask me.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
9/17/2018 11:27am
eg351 wrote:
It was around 2k for the whole trip. I went MX2 because it’s the premier class to EMX and that’s what I race in the US...

they did qualify EMX250, just not in the usual 2 groups, and LCQ,
their was 48 riders in qualifying for EMX250, but only 40 riders in the races,

cool to see you go there and give it a go, the people I know that have ridden there have all said it is very tough, and to see the top guys not that type of track is amazing,

but with others, I worry about the speed differences between riders for the MXdN next year, they are bad enough at hardpack tracks,
DonM
9/17/2018 5:07pm
Unfortunate that a few people on this site have seemingly made it their life goal to shit talk American motocross any chance they get, even when...
Unfortunate that a few people on this site have seemingly made it their life goal to shit talk American motocross any chance they get, even when someone takes advantage of a possible once in a life time opportunity.

Not exactly surprising that a decent chunk of these people are from the UK, either. It's actually pretty sad if you ask me.
I don't get it but there is a core group of haters from GB and it's always the usual suspects...
plowboy
9/17/2018 5:38pm
Britain is no different than any other country's moto scene. The vast majority are cool as hell...with a sprinkle of dicks here and there...SPOTTED DICKS....I made a funny. I consider England my second home so I'm biased. For those that haven't traveled..the Brits, Aussies, Canooks may talk funny and salute a different flag but they are blood brothers...there's enough crap going on politically...don't believe the hate. I salute any Yank that has a go across the pond and welcome those that come here for moto battle. Away the lads.
eg351
9/17/2018 7:49pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Good on you for racing one of the hardest GP's for an American. I can't think of anything here that would even be somewhat close to...
Good on you for racing one of the hardest GP's for an American. I can't think of anything here that would even be somewhat close to Assen. Congrats on getting to go overseas and racing a GP. Any plans for racing any SX or MX next year?
No plans for pro stuff next year. Maybe Southwick again.. Definitely no SX though. But I will be racing more locally. The main focus for me right now is February when we will be releasing the new Alias line.
Motoxtombo
9/17/2018 8:46pm
eg351 wrote:
No plans for pro stuff next year. Maybe Southwick again.. Definitely no SX though. But I will be racing more locally. The main focus for me...
No plans for pro stuff next year. Maybe Southwick again.. Definitely no SX though. But I will be racing more locally. The main focus for me right now is February when we will be releasing the new Alias line.
It's cool you got to cross racing a GP off your bucket list Eric, I just watched the race tonight,It looked like a brutal track.
I'll be looking forward to seeing the new Alias line,I have a couple sets of your gear,It fits great and is wearing great too.

Here is a photo of you from Southwick this year.

https://a4.pbase.com/o10/97/326897/1/167759382.tYshnS34.351_A15F7431.jpg
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
9/17/2018 9:00pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Good on you for racing one of the hardest GP's for an American. I can't think of anything here that would even be somewhat close to...
eg351 wrote:
No plans for pro stuff next year. Maybe Southwick again.. Definitely no SX though. But I will be racing more locally. The main focus for me...
Well if you race southwick, you’ve got fans on the west coast cheering for you. Glad to hear the new stuff is coming out soon too. Got my first set last year and love it. I can’t wait to see the new stuff.
Trevor91
9/17/2018 9:17pm
eg351 wrote:

Huge props bro! Being from the northeast i always knew who you were and im pumped that u went over there and gave it ur best shot without a lot of prep! People on here always talking shit
9/17/2018 10:33pm
plowboy wrote:
Britain is no different than any other country's moto scene. The vast majority are cool as hell...with a sprinkle of dicks here and there...SPOTTED DICKS....I made...
Britain is no different than any other country's moto scene. The vast majority are cool as hell...with a sprinkle of dicks here and there...SPOTTED DICKS....I made a funny. I consider England my second home so I'm biased. For those that haven't traveled..the Brits, Aussies, Canooks may talk funny and salute a different flag but they are blood brothers...there's enough crap going on politically...don't believe the hate. I salute any Yank that has a go across the pond and welcome those that come here for moto battle. Away the lads.
For sure, I'm not trying to say all Brits are dicks or whatever, most seem to be very nice people. Just funny to me how it's seemingly always the same people with the same agenda.
robkinuk
9/18/2018 4:00am
robkinuk wrote:
eg351 wrote:

Hey Eric,
Thanks for coming back and explaining what happened in moto 2. I apologize for the comment as I just took the info of the result sheet and as they say there's always more to a story than first appears.
Good luck in your racing results going forward.
Motocrossjunky
Fantasy
1181st
9/18/2018 4:16am
Bearuno wrote:
That prick Luongo just has visions of those stands [i]utterly [/i] packed, as well as the grass embankments (probably with temporary stands built on them) on...
That prick Luongo just has visions of those stands utterly packed, as well as the grass embankments (probably with temporary stands built on them) on the other side, totally chockers.

He's hoping for the type of crowd MotoGP gets (there), and probably seriously 'upping' his percentage of gate takings he gets through his contract with Assen.

He's a f**king Cancer and a Vampire on our sport.

Bearuno
9/18/2018 4:22am
eg351 "I Body slammed the concrete."

Ouch.

I really, really hope they bring in a Shit Load more sand next year. And I mean a Shit Load. Spend a bit more money, Giuseppe!

So it extends well past the track boundaries where it can, and that they do a far better job of covering / avoiding the amount of 'roadside' furniture at the event. Hard to do with the 2 straights down and up the main straight, but at least a better effort could be made.

Coldenhoffs bike went into the crowd last year - hence the modified first turn , 2nd straight, 2nd turn, 3rd straight combo, this year. I wonder if they got sued by anyone - his bike certainly mowed a few spectators down.

The place will be utterly packed next year, that's for sure.
DeStouwer
9/18/2018 5:07am
Bearuno wrote:
[b]eg351[/b] "I Body slammed the concrete." Ouch. I really, really hope they bring in a Shit Load more sand next year. And I mean a Shit...

Ouch.

I really, really hope they bring in a Shit Load more sand next year. And I mean a Shit Load. Spend a bit more money, Giuseppe!

So it extends well past the track boundaries where it can, and that they do a far better job of covering / avoiding the amount of 'roadside' furniture at the event. Hard to do with the 2 straights down and up the main straight, but at least a better effort could be made.

Coldenhoffs bike went into the crowd last year - hence the modified first turn , 2nd straight, 2nd turn, 3rd straight combo, this year. I wonder if they got sued by anyone - his bike certainly mowed a few spectators down.

Do you believe Luongo paid for that sand? Organisers responsibility. And to be honest, Assen is a very shitty track, especially for the Nations.

A guy broke his arm due Coldenhoff's bike, don't know if anyone got sued afterwards.
Barrzy256
9/18/2018 5:23am
Bearuno wrote:
[b]eg351[/b] "I Body slammed the concrete." Ouch. I really, really hope they bring in a Shit Load more sand next year. And I mean a Shit...

Ouch.

DeStouwer wrote:
Do you believe Luongo paid for that sand? Organisers responsibility. And to be honest, Assen is a very shitty track, especially for the Nations. A guy...
Do you believe Luongo paid for that sand? Organisers responsibility. And to be honest, Assen is a very shitty track, especially for the Nations.

A guy broke his arm due Coldenhoff's bike, don't know if anyone got sued afterwards.
I’d imagine that Luongo allows this GP to happen at a reduced cost to the organiser, to help offset the cost of the sand etc. Just for the simple reason of the location and facilities. Given that he wants to grow the sport and involve more of these stadium type races
Bearuno
9/18/2018 5:49am
DeStouwer wrote:
Do you believe Luongo paid for that sand? Organisers responsibility. And to be honest, Assen is a very shitty track, especially for the Nations. A guy...

No, I don't believe he paid for it. He / the 'organizers' probably wangled it from the Army base F.O.C.

But, he / they should make it so there is no concrete / plywood / low fences / armco to land on right by the side of the track. Be it through Youthstream either paying for it, or requiring it of the Organizers - whoever they may be.

Yes, it's ultimately, a shitty track. As I've said before, it's only saving grace is it's Sand. Cripes I hope they do a better job of it for the MXDN. The Sport / a Track is dangerous enough without having things just off it to axe you.

Broken arm? I wonder if you sign your life away when you buy tickets. I can't say I've noticed the sort of disclaimer we had in OZ (well, NSW at least) that absolved (well, tried to) organizers from responsibility if a spectator got axed by flying bikes or cars, on any of my GP / MXDN tickets over the years.

Anyone know just what sort of track Imola will be? I fear the typical 'pop up' track that Luongo loves. But, they did have GPs there back in '64, and earlier.................
GODZILLA
9/18/2018 6:00am
eg351 wrote:

Thanks for giving us some background, I honestly had no idea who you were.
I guess it was an unforgettable experience, though if you're "riding for fun" it probably wasn't the coolest GP to attend...
Good you're OK!
9/18/2018 6:47am
DeStouwer wrote:

nobody broke his arm .. nobody got hurt .
it was sketchy and could have gone real bad , but it didnt ... not this time

Post a reply to: Eric Grondahl in the MX2 class at the Assen MXGP

The Latest