line-up
9/15/2018 5:14am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2018 6:49am

|
RG1
9/15/2018 5:33am
Not going very well for him. 14 seconds off the pace in timed practice Blink
philG
9/15/2018 5:48am
Fair to say he is out of his depth , that time wouldnt have got him in either EMX125 or EMX250 races, , or top 20 in the Womens class.

He is a hobby racer with money, if the chance comes, you take it.. but not really the track to debut at.
9/15/2018 6:22am
Ummm Eagle did pretty well at Wick this year. Let the man learn the track and race his race. If he gets last he still wins with life experience.

Not everything in life is measured by a laptome.

The Shop

philG
9/15/2018 6:43am
Ummm Eagle did pretty well at Wick this year. Let the man learn the track and race his race. If he gets last he still wins...
Ummm Eagle did pretty well at Wick this year. Let the man learn the track and race his race. If he gets last he still wins with life experience.

Well maybe, but this is a different ball game ... but i agree, great experience, at least he will get to race .
RG1
9/15/2018 7:27am Edited Date/Time 9/15/2018 7:49am
Ummm Eagle did pretty well at Wick this year. Let the man learn the track and race his race. If he gets last he still wins...

He's gonna have to race his race. Hopefully he can improve as the weekend goes on and get himself in the mix a little bit. At least he can say he's raced a GP
500guy
9/15/2018 8:03am
Not sure what the issue is but He's not even competitive out there.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1880th
9/15/2018 8:04am

RG1 wrote:
He's gonna have to race his race. Hopefully he can improve as the weekend goes on and get himself in the mix a little bit. At...
He's gonna have to race his race. Hopefully he can improve as the weekend goes on and get himself in the mix a little bit. At least he can say he's raced a GP
Nothing wrong with that ?
aedwards07
9/15/2018 8:23am
philG wrote:
Fair to say he is out of his depth , that time wouldnt have got him in either EMX125 or EMX250 races, , or top 20...
Fair to say he is out of his depth , that time wouldnt have got him in either EMX125 or EMX250 races, , or top 20 in the Womens class.

He is a hobby racer with money, if the chance comes, you take it.. but not really the track to debut at.
Eric did make a 250SX main event 2 years ago. I think hes more than just a racer with money....
St Ann More
9/15/2018 8:24am
500guy wrote:
The same issue Team USA will face when they arrive in 2019...
500guy
9/15/2018 8:31am
500guy wrote:
If it makes you feel god okay but I highly doubt Team USA will finish worse than 2nd or 3rd there
NVA57
Fantasy
1742nd
9/15/2018 8:41am
500guy wrote:
Lol. Comparing Grondahl to Team USA.
MXMattii
9/15/2018 9:40am

Ooh, did you just implied that the AMA is just damn slow? Maybe Eric is testing some things to be Team Puerto Rico or Team Guam in 2019 WoohooWoohooEvil
St Ann More
9/15/2018 10:26am
500guy wrote:
500guy wrote:
If it makes you feel god okay but I highly doubt Team USA will finish worse than 2nd or 3rd there
They probably wouldn't finish worse than 6th with Grondahl on the team!
ehr400
9/15/2018 10:32am
Guy averaged 35th place for one season in outdoors. Very comparable to the top riders of course.....
philG
9/15/2018 10:46am
aedwards07 wrote:
Eric did make a 250SX main event 2 years ago. I think hes more than just a racer with money....
Well he is sucking big time then .
aedwards07
9/15/2018 12:31pm
aedwards07 wrote:
philG wrote:
Can you do better? Is there anything wrong with someone who just wants to have fun and ride his dirtbike?
Travis707
9/15/2018 12:56pm
aedwards07 wrote:
philG wrote:
Dude, why the hate? Didn't your mother ever teach you that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all?

Eric retired from full-time pro racing and is probably racing it for fun. What an experience! Wouldn't you if you had the chance?

I haven't talked with Eric for a few years but I've known him since he was a little kid. Despite growing up with money he's a great guy and very down to earth. Yes his Dad gave him an incredible opportunity to persue his moto dream
but he came up short of his goals. But he's still a better rider than 99% of us Vital members ever were.

Maybe there are other reasons Eric is racing the GP...

Alias will be making a comeback soon so maybe he's making business connections and promoting the brand.

Maybe MG wants to have a USGP at Southwick some day so Eric's making connections and he's seeing how the GP's operate from a racers perspective.

Maybe it's just a moto vacation. As long as he leaves everything out on the track, doesn't get hurt,
has fun, meets new people and experiences new things then good for him.

philG
9/15/2018 12:57pm
aedwards07 wrote:
philG wrote:
aedwards07 wrote:
Can you do better? Is there anything wrong with someone who just wants to have fun and ride his dirtbike?
No, there is not, and i said as much, the OP suggested that he wasnt just a regular Joe doing it because he could.

Can i do better? Now.. no.. have i in the past ? Yes.
500guy
9/15/2018 6:27pm
philG wrote:
aedwards07 wrote:
philG wrote:
No, there is not, and i said as much, the OP suggested that he wasnt just a regular Joe doing it because he could. Can i...
No, there is not, and i said as much, the OP suggested that he wasnt just a regular Joe doing it because he could.

Can i do better? Now.. no.. have i in the past ? Yes.
I have no problem with a guy having fun riding dirt bikes but at this point He clearly does not belong in MX2.

As far as I'm concerned MX2 and MXGP should be the best in the World not the 32 with enough money to get there.
Bearuno
9/15/2018 8:38pm
philG wrote:
Geeze Phil, give the young Yank a break.

The shock a rider would have at a Sand Fest ( the only saving grace of Assen) that they'd suddenly face would be pretty bloody big.Dizzy

A bit like turning up at a SX for a rider who'd not done it before. You know, that weird offshoot of MX held on vicious, shitty, laughable ( when you think of MX) little tracks plonked down in stadiums.

But, perhaps your rejoinder is a deliberate mirroring of the twonkers who always bring up SX as being the measure of a rider, nowadays? Fair enough, if that's so.
philG
9/16/2018 2:24am
philG wrote:
Bearuno wrote:
Geeze Phil, give the young Yank a break. The shock a rider would have at a Sand Fest ( the only saving grace of Assen) that...

The shock a rider would have at a Sand Fest ( the only saving grace of Assen) that they'd suddenly face would be pretty bloody big.Dizzy

A bit like turning up at a SX for a rider who'd not done it before. You know, that weird offshoot of MX held on vicious, shitty, laughable ( when you think of MX) little tracks plonked down in stadiums.

But, perhaps your rejoinder is a deliberate mirroring of the twonkers who always bring up SX as being the measure of a rider, nowadays? Fair enough, if that's so.
I did , i said he was a hobby racer with money, 2 OP's said he had qualified an SX , and had been decent at the Wick , suggesting that he wasnt just a hobby racer. If he is doing it just because he can, fair enough, the system allows that, like it or not , but i was not the one saying they thought he could and should be doing better.

It does though, as you say , show the difference of levels , and also the severity of the sand in Assen.

Robgvx
9/16/2018 2:51am
philG wrote:
Bearuno wrote:
Geeze Phil, give the young Yank a break. The shock a rider would have at a Sand Fest ( the only saving grace of Assen) that...

I like sand tracks. And as you say, that’s the only saving grace of Assen, which, without the sand would be as awful as every other man-made track in a car racing circuit has always been.

But personally I think it sucks that they’re taking the MXdN - the crown jewel of motocross racing to a circuit like that. It’s artificial, a novelty, too narrow and short. The MXdN deserves better. And the difficulty of the terrain is going to result in vast differences in lap times when the nations takes place - even more than on a ‘normal’ track.

And, as someone has already said, who wants to sit in a plastic seat a hundred meters away rather than standing and cheering by the fence? Do you go watch your favorite band and ask to sit right at the back?
Bearuno
9/16/2018 3:29am
That prick Luongo just has visions of those stands utterly packed, as well as the grass embankments (probably with temporary stands built on them) on the other side, totally chockers.

He's hoping for the type of crowd MotoGP gets (there), and probably seriously 'upping' his percentage of gate takings he gets through his contract with Assen.

He's a f**king Cancer and a Vampire on our sport.
St Ann More
9/16/2018 4:52am Edited Date/Time 9/16/2018 4:59am
philG wrote:
Bearuno wrote:

Robgvx wrote:
I like sand tracks. And as you say, that’s the only saving grace of Assen, which, without the sand would be as awful as every other...
I like sand tracks. And as you say, that’s the only saving grace of Assen, which, without the sand would be as awful as every other man-made track in a car racing circuit has always been.

But personally I think it sucks that they’re taking the MXdN - the crown jewel of motocross racing to a circuit like that. It’s artificial, a novelty, too narrow and short. The MXdN deserves better. And the difficulty of the terrain is going to result in vast differences in lap times when the nations takes place - even more than on a ‘normal’ track.

And, as someone has already said, who wants to sit in a plastic seat a hundred meters away rather than standing and cheering by the fence? Do you go watch your favorite band and ask to sit right at the back?
Artificial? Every track is artificial.

Too narrow? Yet still has more passing opportunities than most tracks.

Short? Less than 10% shorter than good old Ernee.

Difficulty/vast differences in lap times? Should we outlaw sand based MXdN's?

Who wants too sit in a plastic seat? Clearly thousands, just look at today - it's well attended. It'll be double, maybe three times that come MXdN!
9/16/2018 5:11am
Good on him, great experience.
It wouldn’t be like riding a GP at Indonesia where you’d expect to be quicker than most of the locals.. these guys that ride the sand locally are No Joke and then all the GP guys are twice as fast.. if he bridges the gap to under 10 seconds a lap slower he will be doing well. Great job EG !
robkinuk
9/16/2018 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2018 12:09pm
philG wrote:
Fair to say he is out of his depth , that time wouldnt have got him in either EMX125 or EMX250 races, , or top 20...

aedwards07 wrote:
MX2 race 2 at Assen. 6 laps behind in a 30 min + 2 lap race. Sorry, but that's just being a mobile chicane!Shocked
eg351
9/17/2018 3:01am
robkinuk wrote:
MX2 race 2 at Assen. 6 laps behind in a 30 min + 2 lap race. Sorry, but that's just being a mobile chicane!Shocked
I crashed and DNF’d the race.. I Body slammed the concrete.

And for everyone else who has no clue about me and my life. I stopped racing full time after supercross in 2017. I work for alias mx now and I’ve just been riding for fun. I raced southwick national for fun and qualified 23rd in the 450 class. But I don’t train anymore so I didn’t have the stamina to hold pace in the motos. I don’t get to ride half as much as I used too anymore. I also haven’t rode a 250 in over a year. I’m not making excuses for how much of a struggle this was for me just letting you guys in on everything. I have always wanted to race a GP and the opportunity came about a month ago so I said yeah I’d love too. So I flew over rode the race bike for one moto on Wednesday and headed to Assen.

You guys have no clue how tough a track that was to ride coming from the states. We have nothing half as deep as that track was. And these guys over here... definitely a faster pace at the back than at any national I’ve raced. And I’ve raced 10+ nationals. It was a lot to overcome in two short days but I finally felt somewhat comfortable in the second moto until I ran out of steam and then crashed.

Thanks to the people who stuck up for me and didn’t assume the worst ?

And thank you to the people who made this possible. Im forever thankful to have been given this opportunity.
DoubleA
9/17/2018 3:17am
eg351 wrote:
I crashed and DNF’d the race.. I Body slammed the concrete. And for everyone else who has no clue about me and my life. I stopped...
I crashed and DNF’d the race.. I Body slammed the concrete.

And for everyone else who has no clue about me and my life. I stopped racing full time after supercross in 2017. I work for alias mx now and I’ve just been riding for fun. I raced southwick national for fun and qualified 23rd in the 450 class. But I don’t train anymore so I didn’t have the stamina to hold pace in the motos. I don’t get to ride half as much as I used too anymore. I also haven’t rode a 250 in over a year. I’m not making excuses for how much of a struggle this was for me just letting you guys in on everything. I have always wanted to race a GP and the opportunity came about a month ago so I said yeah I’d love too. So I flew over rode the race bike for one moto on Wednesday and headed to Assen.

You guys have no clue how tough a track that was to ride coming from the states. We have nothing half as deep as that track was. And these guys over here... definitely a faster pace at the back than at any national I’ve raced. And I’ve raced 10+ nationals. It was a lot to overcome in two short days but I finally felt somewhat comfortable in the second moto until I ran out of steam and then crashed.

Thanks to the people who stuck up for me and didn’t assume the worst ?

And thank you to the people who made this possible. Im forever thankful to have been given this opportunity.
#BigUpSwanny

Eric how much in total did the whole thing cost you?

What was the reason you didn't go into EMX?

Post a reply to: Eric Grondahl in the MX2 class at the Assen MXGP

The Latest