Eric Gorr Terrible Customer Service

BobPA
Edited Date/Time 6/25/2017 5:14pm
I really do not like to bash a company publicly, but my patience in this situation has run out. I know I will get ripped on for this, but please read this post and take a look at the photos with an open mind. Try to put yourself in my shoes. This will be a longish wordy post.

December 1st of last year I sent my 2003 KX 125 cylinder to Eric for a 144cc big bore with race gas compression. He says on his website to send in your old piston and spark plug for a free analysis, so they were also sent. On my work order I stated very clearly to please call me before the work is performed as I would like to discuss options. A few days later I had a PayPal request for payment as the work had already been performed. After a few days of trying I got a hold of him he answered the phone, and luckily the work he performed ended up being what I wanted.

December 12th I received my cylinder back in the mail. None of my old parts were returned, and there was never a "free analysis" given, no biggie really. Upon inspection of my cylinder I noticed a TON of pitting, most of which was large enough to be "nailed". I have had many cylinders re-plated and some pitting is normal, but look at the pictures and you can see it is excessive......especially the large hole on the exhaust bridge. Not only was the pitting terrible, but his "porting" was non existent. Not one of the transfers was even touched, all of the casting marks still remained, and port sizing was stock. I sent him an e-mail with photos and he said send it back, not a problem and I would be refunded for shipping. Cool, I understand that mistakes happen.

Initial cylinder plating

I sent the cylinder back and it returned a few weeks later with a much better port work, but with a SUPER thin crooked exhaust bridge. I also included my PayPal address for the $25 refund, this is just ignored (still is being ignored). Winter was coming to a close so I figured it was time to assemble the engine and get it broken in. We had a nasty blizzard here so our riding season did not start until mid April. April 30th of this year i finally get to take the bike for a ride and start to break it in. Runs descent the first half hour, it was still rich for break in. I take it to my local riding spot to finish the break in and to start to dial in the jetting. This occurs on May 4th. I felt the engine starting to go away and getting weak, so I shut it down and took it home after 1.2 hours of ride time. This is what I found...

Before you tell me I should have measured all the components before install, just remember, I paid someone else a lot of money so I did not have to do so. The piston clearance was too tight causing it to partially seize. The ring was snagging on the powervalve assembly and just for fun, zoom in on the exhaust bridge and look at that terrible chamfer job. Crooked and skinny. So i send the cylinder back once again.

He responds promptly to my e-mails and even acknowledges that I am still owed $25, cool....Shit happens I know. I send it back May 9th. The cylinder returns to me June 6th, still with no PayPal refund, and with numerous e-mails in between stating so. He warrantied the piston, gaskets, and cylinder...Sweet, and the cylinder looks great. He re-welded the exhaust bridge and the plating looks excellent. He ground the exhaust valves so they will no longer hit the piston....etc. There is just one more hitch. The piston he sent back to me has the exhaust bridge cooling holes drilled so crooked that there is no way to cover them with the exhaust bridge.

I sent my initial e-mail about the piston on June 9th (started engine assembly). Since then, I have received nothing. Not one e-mail, no returned phone calls, radio silence. I had to order a piston because I can no longer wait for him to cover the mistakes (I want to ride this thing). I sent him a PayPal request for $130.30 for the piston and return shipping he still owes me (this was mostly to try and get some type of response). I have sent numerous e-mails and tried calling on the phone several times. I was never threatening, nor even angry. If worse comes to worse I would gladly share all of our conversations.

I am mostly making this post out to see if anyone else has been in contact, and could ask him to contact me. I know it is only over $130, but this is months and months of going back and forth...and my bike has been useless ever since. Sorry for the lengthy read, I am just quite frustrated.

|
MXD
6/19/2017 12:56pm
Bummer deal for you. No one wants a bike sitting on the stand in the summer months. I think ordering your own piston and eating the $130 (for now) is the right move. You'll be much happier when you're enjoying your bike instead of staring at it. Hopefully you get riding soon.
PJRAUS
6/19/2017 1:08pm
I've only ever read good things about his work, so this is a real horror story!
Was considering sending my yz 125 top end to him for a 134 job etc....maybe not?
6/19/2017 1:09pm
Do some research he has been providing shady service practices for years !!!!! Some people swing by his nuts but when you can't a hold of a business for weeks at time ??????? He changes address's like his underwear.

The Shop

PRM31
6/19/2017 1:10pm
Definitely not quite right. Very odd to have something done that poorly by a guy who has forgotten more about porting and 2T engines than most of us will ever know. I can't speculate, but I'll bet there is more to the story (on his end).
BobPA
6/19/2017 1:15pm Edited Date/Time 6/19/2017 1:23pm
PRM31 wrote:
Definitely not quite right. Very odd to have something done that poorly by a guy who has forgotten more about porting and 2T engines than most...
Definitely not quite right. Very odd to have something done that poorly by a guy who has forgotten more about porting and 2T engines than most of us will ever know. I can't speculate, but I'll bet there is more to the story (on his end).
My friend had his RM 125 done about a month after mine, and his has been great. I do not know if my engine was done by an intern or what. I went with Eric because of all the rave about him....I guess things happen once in a while.
Tracktor
6/19/2017 1:16pm
I had similar issues (not quite as bad) a few years ago. Sent him a CR125 cylinder for his $450 144cc setup. Cost me around $800 billed with no notice. Told me the head was bad and charged me for a new one. I have a box of CR125 heads laying around. I did get a partial refund but wasn't impressed. Motor runs well and has held up but wouldn't use again......................
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/19/2017 1:16pm Edited Date/Time 6/19/2017 1:17pm
I have always seen and heard good things about Gorr but not sure if he does all the work himself but I can see the problem with the pics you posted. If you paid him with paypal then you can fight it with paypal. They almost always side with the buyer so open a case with paypal to get your money back and then have it done correctly with someone else.
PRM31
6/19/2017 1:21pm
I had my RM turned into a 144. Everything went smoothly, and it runs great. Communications aren't his forte, but it wasn't terrible either. Disappointed to see you get such poor service.
JB 19
6/19/2017 1:25pm
This isn't the first time that something like this has been posted about Eric Gorr. It's like he's having kids off the street do his work. Obviously someone with his skill wouldn't have made some of those mistakes.
OldPro277
6/19/2017 1:27pm
Well, I guess Im one of his "nut swingers"lol.. Just had my third engine done by him in the past 6 months. Two vintage engines (78 RM125 and 80 YZ250) and a 144 kit for my modern 125. The 78 RM125 absolutely rips, actually is only a bike length behind my son in laws 2013 YZ125 in a 100 yd drag race .The YZ 250 will get tested this weekend. My 144 kit took exactly 9 days to get here from the time I sent it, with no visual issues at all. That one beat the suspension back ,so it may be a couple of weeks before I can see how it runs. But ,I will say that EVERY single time I called him (which was plenty) he answered before the 4th ring.Communication with him was far easier than any of my other supplier types. Also, Im not sure how many times hes switched addresses 526, other than when he was hooked up with Millenium Tech ,then went back to doing his own thing. Bob,it sucks you went thru that,but I know he told me when I did my 144 a few weeks ago ,that he was jammed doing motors for the LL regional guys and it may take a few extra days,but like I said ,that still was only 9 days.
Acidreamer
6/19/2017 1:27pm
Sorry to hear that. Makes me not want to send anything to him. Ive been shopping around for someone to work the head on my 450... guess ill go with pro circuit.
shortcourse
6/19/2017 1:31pm
I tried to get them to do my RM250 for me, called and e-mailed them several times with no replies back from them. Always heard good things about them but went another way with it.
BobPA
6/19/2017 1:37pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Well, I guess Im one of his "nut swingers"lol.. Just had my third engine done by him in the past 6 months. Two vintage engines (78...
Well, I guess Im one of his "nut swingers"lol.. Just had my third engine done by him in the past 6 months. Two vintage engines (78 RM125 and 80 YZ250) and a 144 kit for my modern 125. The 78 RM125 absolutely rips, actually is only a bike length behind my son in laws 2013 YZ125 in a 100 yd drag race .The YZ 250 will get tested this weekend. My 144 kit took exactly 9 days to get here from the time I sent it, with no visual issues at all. That one beat the suspension back ,so it may be a couple of weeks before I can see how it runs. But ,I will say that EVERY single time I called him (which was plenty) he answered before the 4th ring.Communication with him was far easier than any of my other supplier types. Also, Im not sure how many times hes switched addresses 526, other than when he was hooked up with Millenium Tech ,then went back to doing his own thing. Bob,it sucks you went thru that,but I know he told me when I did my 144 a few weeks ago ,that he was jammed doing motors for the LL regional guys and it may take a few extra days,but like I said ,that still was only 9 days.
Try to call him right now. I called a bit earlier with nothing. Thursday and Friday is went right to voicemail. It has been 10 days since his last e-mail response to me.
tickleme20
6/19/2017 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 6/19/2017 1:39pm
Haven't ordered from Eric Gorr but small outfits can be really iffy, as much as I like supporting them. I had some guy do custom graphics for me years ago. First time worked out amazing, second time it was a whole different, nightmare rip-off experience. Like he couldn't handle the workload and just completely shut everything down instead.

Sucks bc it just makes customers more reluctant to hand over their money to small outfits in the future. Hope you get everything resolved.
xr70
6/19/2017 1:42pm
I had the some experience with him in 2002 on my sons CR125 ! He did horrible work on the cylinder and power valve. He did not even machine the power valve, just took it to the grinder. I was soooo upset , Bike run like shit.
OldPro277
6/19/2017 1:49pm
BobPA wrote:
Try to call him right now. I called a bit earlier with nothing. Thursday and Friday is went right to voicemail. It has been 10 days...
Try to call him right now. I called a bit earlier with nothing. Thursday and Friday is went right to voicemail. It has been 10 days since his last e-mail response to me.
Bob, Im not calling you a liar, just stating my experiences with him. I have no reason to call him at the moment,and wouldnt want to waste his time just to prove your point or mine. Every business has customers that love them and some that despise them ,its just the nature of dealing with the public. Fortunately for me, Eric has been great. On the other hand ,Ive had some shit shows with other well-respected vendors/fabricators.
danman
6/19/2017 1:53pm
I've had Eric do a few motors for me and never had an issue. Heck, I even dropped in at his shop a while back because I needed a head recut/cleaned up. He did it while I was there, even though I planned to drop it off and have him ship it back. He didn't even charge me. I've got a friend that has had his motors done by Eric for 20 years.

The reason he's changed addresses so many times is because he has tried having partners and it hasn't worked. When I say partners, I mean like when he recently worked for Millenium Technologies. Each time he changes things like that, it's a new address.

He's a super nice guy that has more work than he probably knows what to do with.
BobPA
6/19/2017 1:55pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Bob, Im not calling you a liar, just stating my experiences with him. I have no reason to call him at the moment,and wouldnt want to...
Bob, Im not calling you a liar, just stating my experiences with him. I have no reason to call him at the moment,and wouldnt want to waste his time just to prove your point or mine. Every business has customers that love them and some that despise them ,its just the nature of dealing with the public. Fortunately for me, Eric has been great. On the other hand ,Ive had some shit shows with other well-respected vendors/fabricators.
I did not mean that in an insulting way. I would just like some type of response. Just stating that if someone is still in contact with him...have him call or e-mail me. If he makes it right I will gladly remove this thread.
Camp332
6/19/2017 1:58pm
This isn't the first time I've read negative posts on Eric Gorr. However there are also extremely positive posts for Eric's work. Bipolar Bro
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
6/19/2017 2:38pm
Bummer! He did good work on my last RM 125, only issue was it took an extra week because he forgot to send it back to me.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
6/19/2017 2:47pm
Bob, hate to hear your shit luck with Eric Gorr. I have used him many times without issues. Hopefully he will catch up with you and make things right. Good Luck and sweet bike of choice btw.
Mx286
6/19/2017 2:52pm
Couple years ago I sent him a cylinder of my CR250. This was during the time he was with millenium. Had him do the 265 which was a big mistake. Got it back and the porting and polishing job was butchered, it literally looked like shit. I was in a pinch as regionals were coming up and I had to race it so I put it back together hoping it would be ok.

Long story short the bike would not take off from a dead stop. Every start by the time I got across the gate everyone else had atleast 3/4 a bike length on me. Once I got going it ran ok but still wasn't worth a shit. So I borrowed my buddy's KTM and got qualified at the next regional and raced it in the 2stroke class at Loretta's.

After that I put the CR in the back corner of the garage and left it alone since my main bike was my 450. I never attempted to contact him since I figured he wouldn't do anything anyways. Wrote it off as a loss and lesson learned to never do business with him again.
tempura
6/19/2017 4:15pm
I've heard some horror stories also.
It seems he has the skills and knowledge to do fantastic work, but it's hit and miss, potluck whether you get him on a good day or bad day.
Those inconsistencies deter me from using his services.
mattbmx63
6/19/2017 4:18pm
Back about 12 years ago I sent him a CR125R cylinder for some work. It repeatedly dumped coolant down it when it warmed up. After sending it back too times he finally told me he was worried from day one the sleeve was moving around. He sent me a new cylinder. He was ok to deal with but quality of work was not good.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
6/19/2017 4:42pm Edited Date/Time 6/19/2017 4:42pm
Bob,

It seems like, from your description, you were careful not to be pre-mature about airing your grievances. You have obviously seen that done before here and didnt want to be that guy. It sounds like you have done your due diligence. Sometimes, a spade is a spade.

I hope you get your issue(s) worked out.
6/19/2017 5:14pm
For as many good things I've hear about gorr I've heard just as many bad things. I was considering having him do a yz155 for me but needed to ask him a few things first. I called, left messages and emailed him many times and didn't hear back for 4 months. By that point I had already sold the bike.
6/19/2017 5:15pm
Google is full of horror stories about Eric Gorr, unfortunately. Hope it works out, Bob.

Post a reply to: Eric Gorr Terrible Customer Service

The Latest