Epic 1st race day story...

Related:
Create New Tag

5/18/2021 5:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/18/2021 6:13 PM

So I picked up motocross last year at the ripe age of 39. I can’t afford a Corvette so a dirt bike was the next best thing to succumb to my midlife crisis. Anyways on to the story, so I decided to man up and race in the 30+ c class and 40+class up here in the Northeast. All was going decent considering my first race and came in 10th in 30+ and 3rd in the 40+ in the first motos. I was anticipating my wife and kids would show up to watch me race in the second moto and sure enough they made it just in time.
Now nobody here knows me but what was about to occur surely fits me to the tee FML. I did however expect something to occur because it’s just my luck as my two beautiful daughters and wife were watching but I didn’t realize it until the race was over which is the best part of the story.
Anyways so halfway through the 1st lap I came over a nice size roller and washed the front of the bike out and took a good spill. As I fell I said to myself “ Friggin fantastic Eric! Way to go you dope while the wife and kid are watching”. I could also notice a slew of bikes behind me which I probably was either going to cause a multiple pile up or I was going to meet a front tire face to face. I had to act fast so as soon as I hit the ground I got up as quickly as possible and proceeded to get back on my iron horse and get back to the races. Considering the shitty start and crash however i couldn’t help to notice that every time I passed the pits/spectator area on each lap I could hear people whistling and cheering for me. Confused as to why I kind of just went with it and thought maybe I looked as if I knew what the hell I was doing or something or maybe my youngest had everybody rooting for me. What the hell did I know so back to focusing on racing. So 5 laps later and in back of the pack I passed the checkered flag and pulled of the track into the pit area. Tired and dissatisfied with my horrific performance I was abruptly stopped by about 15 people but I couldn’t make out what they were saying. So I pulled off my helmet and was met with somebody telling me I was on the wrong bike! Dumb founded and confused I asked him what the hell he was talking? This wasn’t registering to me in the least bit after he repeated himself several times. He then pointed passed my shoulder at a guy who was in sitting on a bike, with the same graphics kit, same number, same hand guards, same make and model as mine! I proceeded to then look at the bike I was sitting on, similar bike but not mine, no hand guards, different number, but same make and model with a similar graphics kit. Now for about 20 solid seconds I was trying to figure all of this out. How the the hell did he have my bike and how was I sitting on his??? I tried to recall a scenario on how the hell this could’ve happened. I tried to remember if I got off my bike before I staged to take a piss or maybe back in the pit area I accidentally got on the wrong bike some how but nothing came to my mind. Well the gentlemen on my bike eventually enlightened me on what the hell happened. When I fell on the first lap and I rushed to get out of the way and back on my bike, I ended up picking up the wrong fucking bike and finishing all 5 laps on somebody else’s bike!
Well the wife wasn’t impressed by any means and I definitely didn’t get lucky that evening. I will however say that I am at least very consistent! Hope you guys get a kick out of this because everybody else did! Wish me luck I’m gonna need it...

|

EriCS1981

5/18/2021 6:03 PM

You know what’s epic? Paragraphs.

|

5/18/2021 6:06 PM

JazzyJJ wrote:

You know what’s epic? Paragraphs.

True!

|

EriCS1981

5/18/2021 6:13 PM

Man what a great story 🤣 pretty crazy you didnt notice grips or levers being different,, too bad that guy didnt pass you on your bike during the race and you saw it then 👍

|

5/18/2021 6:17 PM

Tried to correct the lack of paragraphs but it’s not working out on the iPhone.

|

EriCS1981

5/18/2021 6:26 PM

LOL! That is Hilarious!

|

5/18/2021 6:35 PM

Pretty good bro. Glad you can laugh it off. By the way, don't be afraid to ride the beginner class. And keep having fun with it.

|

5/18/2021 6:37 PM

Definition of being in the zone!

|

5/18/2021 7:16 PM

So did your bike finish ahead of you?

|

Indecision is a choice

5/18/2021 7:35 PM

Mr. Ted wrote:

So did your bike finish ahead of you?

No, he pulled out once he realized I stole his

|

EriCS1981

5/18/2021 7:49 PM

That’s a great and funny story and definitely one that’ll be at the top of your “bench racing” stories for all time!
There isn’t a guy on here thats raced that doesn’t have some crazy funny story to tell on themselves from some point in their racing career!
I know I have WAY more “agony of defeat” memories than “thrill of victory” stories too but its all part of the fun and getting to enjoy this thrilling hobby!
Just keep showing up to the races and making fun memories and i guarantee you’ll overcome a few rough days with some successes of your own too!
Thanks for sharing your story and like Joe Dirt says...
Keep on keepin’ on! 😎👍

|

5/18/2021 7:52 PM

That's a great story!! Thanks for sharing..

|

5/18/2021 8:12 PM

Yes that is epic. So would be something I would do. Good first motos brother. Thanks for the laugh

|

5/18/2021 8:32 PM

You took the curse of the wife/girlfriend at the first race to a new high.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

5/19/2021 5:40 AM

I definitely LOL'd.

|

United States of America

5/19/2021 5:49 AM

I had the same thing happen to me with my ex and her best friend at a frat party.

Great story bro! Love it

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

5/19/2021 5:57 AM

This is a great story!

|

5/19/2021 6:26 AM

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing. Don’t worry about the structure/paragraphs.

|

5/19/2021 6:30 AM

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

|

Shout out to: Fly Racing, X Brand Goggles, Kenda Tire, Nuetech Nitromousse, ProTune Suspension, Motool, Sunstar Sprockets, and Rehmerts Kawasaki KTM

Instagram: WoodsRacer126

5/19/2021 6:52 AM

Well written and great story.

|

5/19/2021 7:21 AM

Awesome!

|

5/19/2021 7:26 AM

Get this man to the concussion tent

|

5/19/2021 9:15 AM

Here's my tale of shame:
Mid 90s I was fast local street bike racer.
Decided running from cops was not a good long term plan so I track prepped by trusty Honda CBR 600.
Regional series back then we're WERA and CCS club races.
After the mandatory rider school I was sure of utter domination.
1st race weekend I made the trek to famous Road Atlanta.
Instead of taking my spot back of the pack for first practice session I cut the line and thought a nice long power wheelie down hot pit lane into turn one would put every one on notice that Joe Bad Ass had arrived.
The old CBR's had clip on bars above the top clamp not below like the other bikes at the time.
So there I am mid wheelie and to my horror the left side handlebar comes off because it was loose and I'm waving it like a microphone.
Yes the clutch cable helped but the damage was done.
I looped out and wadded it going into turn one.
The shame I felt looking up as the pack passed me shaking there heads was pretty awful.
I did keep racing for many years but on that day had to eat a big ol slice of humble pie.

|

5/19/2021 9:40 AM

Cliff notes? cheerful

|

5/19/2021 10:52 AM

Lol. Did your suspension work better after the crash? Get that dude's settings.

|

Name withheld... Esquire

5/19/2021 11:06 AM

Ahahaha that’s fuckin great.

|

5/19/2021 11:19 AM

Hope you "rode it like you stole it"!!

|

5/19/2021 11:32 AM

Awesome story!

|

2015 YZ250F - 2003 CR125R

5/19/2021 11:34 AM

Awesome story. I hate to add to your misery but you do realize that now that you’re hooked on moto, it’ll be a looong while before you can afford that ‘vette, right? 😂

|

5/19/2021 11:44 AM

Nice! That's good one.

|