Environuts called my private track in.

Related:
Create New Tag

8/9/2019 10:23 AM

Has any dealt with the DEP/Environmental Protection Agency over a private track?

I just got a call, and the guy is coming to inspect at 11am Tuesday. Someone anonymous turned in a complaint about a race track being built.

The kids track has existed over a year with no complaints. No wetlands were disturbed. We don't ride after 5 pm out of courtesy. We don't ride if it's dusty. It was just a flat field of weeds that was cut.

Has anyone dealt with this and what are your experiences? I don't know what to expect.

|

8/9/2019 10:25 AM

|

8/9/2019 10:30 AM

Wow..never heard of a complaint about a track coming from that angle. I'm curious as to what the tell you.

|

8/9/2019 10:33 AM

Insane. Environmentalists are unreal. They'll probably point at some ruts and point out the soil erosion and ask what your plan is for mitigating it. This stuff really just irks me. Can't people just let things be?

|

8/9/2019 10:33 AM

I can't speak to this exactly but any time we've had EPA involved they seemed to be more interested in what might go in the ground and waterways. I would make sure nothing is spilled on the property and that you have a plan in place to contain any fuels spilled during fueling and that no oil changes are done there as well. Good Luck with that.

|

8/9/2019 10:40 AM

I'll show them my Alta

|

8/9/2019 10:42 AM

Maybe buy some environmental mats for when your bike is in the paddock so no split fuel goes into the ground. That’s the rule in mainland Europe, hopefully that’ll help.

|

8/9/2019 10:48 AM

That's nuts... Next thing you know someone will call in RedBud.

|

'75-'83 through the minicycle boom.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was fast... But being fast is relative to who else is on the track with you.

ZachO fan! ZO16

TG243 fan!

8/9/2019 10:48 AM

Let us know what they say about it. That sucks.

|

8/9/2019 10:50 AM

Wow, crazy.

|

8/9/2019 10:50 AM

Just a question.... Do you have to let them on your property? Do they need to have some type of paper work from the county etc? Should they have a list of what they may be looking for?

|

8/9/2019 10:58 AM

Not much different than farming. Nothing wrong with moving dirt unless it's in a wetlands or flood plain. Just don't put any chemicals on the ground that my may cause a problem.
That's the kind of thing the EPA looks for.
The fact that it's been there a year might be in your favor.

|

8/9/2019 11:01 AM

You sure the guy that called from the EPA, and is coming isn't the Envrionut? Kinda seems fishy. You'd think that you would receive the initial contact in writing from any Federal agency stating exactly what the issues are, and the violation they are suspecting. I think I'd like a little more information before anyone comes looking around.

|

[Moto Creed-O: Take the High-Road.....Kick His Ass and Fuck His Chick

8/9/2019 11:07 AM

No letter, no warrant means no trespassing

|

8/9/2019 11:07 AM

If the person coming seems adversarial don't let him on the property without a warrant and/or court order. If not and it's just something they have to investigate allow it until it becomes obvious they are out to hurt you. Show them where you change your oil and fuel your bikes over a absorbent mat (wink) and check your zoning first. If you are Agricultural tell them to screw off. Nicely.

|

8/9/2019 11:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/9/2019 8:02 PM

Its sad what people become when they turn into adults......
Just sayin!!!

|

8/9/2019 11:11 AM

You should call the guy back and ask exactly what he's there to look for. Then you can prepare or realize it's pointless. I doubt anything will come of this. Please update everyone though

|

8/9/2019 11:13 AM

yz25 wrote:

Just a question.... Do you have to let them on your property? Do they need to have some type of paper work from the county etc? Should they have a list of what they may be looking for?

exactly

They need to have permission to come inspect anything, be careful what you say and do and don't just let them come inspect without you having some representation.

|

8/9/2019 11:16 AM

mikec265 wrote:

Has any dealt with the DEP/Environmental Protection Agency over a private track?

I just got a call, and the guy is coming to inspect at 11am Tuesday. Someone anonymous turned in a complaint about a race track being built.

The kids track has existed over a year with no complaints. No wetlands were disturbed. We don't ride after 5 pm out of courtesy. We don't ride if it's dusty. It was just a flat field of weeds that was cut.

Has anyone dealt with this and what are your experiences? I don't know what to expect.

Who owns the field ? Might be someone who drove by and hates anyone doing anything fun so pretending to be EPA. Lots of people hate motorcycles,ATVs and or anything to do with fun. County might make you get a permit and a environmental impact study and then you are screwed. Too bad its right by a paved road and not back out of sight.

|

Ed Johnson

8/9/2019 11:17 AM

If it was MN and any cattails in sight youd be screwed. They love their swamps back there!

|

8/9/2019 11:19 AM

If nothing comes about this, I would plant a row of trees along the road to prevent people from seeing the track as they ride by...

As others have said, try to find the reason for the visit and what they are looking for/want to see. Ask for an agenda for the visit.

Quick story that may or may not be relevant. A friend that has a track we ride at every Wednesday. The town constable came out one Wednesday saying he had complaints of races being held on the property. He said no, I know everyone of these people by name, no races, just a weekly ride session. The constable was then saying the neighbors complained the noise was scaring the wildlife away. A couple minutes after saying that a deer ran out into the track area, one buddy had to stop and wait for the deer to get off the track. The constable said ok, just try to keep the noise down and left. That was about 10 years ago. If it's in an agricultural district, most likely there are no noise restrictions. If there are, ask to see the ordinance because most likely every farmer in the area is breaking the rules during planting and harvesting season.

|

8/9/2019 11:22 AM

who owns the houses I see in the background?

|

8/9/2019 11:23 AM

From your picture.... Without some type of document issued from state etc.... They can do there inspection from the road. You have the right to ask questions as well. Wouldn't being going out of my way showing them a single thing unless the documents they have in hand, if any, are questioning a certain matter. Would really being do some fact checking.

|

8/9/2019 11:28 AM

Yeah man..Lots of variables however don't interrupt, displace or modify the flow of water. Ground water, surface, or rain water. They can get cranky.

|

8/9/2019 11:32 AM

zippytech wrote:

who owns the houses I see in the background?

Bingo. Unless all the neighbors ride the track with you, then most likely it's one of them.

|

8/9/2019 11:39 AM

slowgti wrote:

No letter, no warrant means no trespassing

This is the correct answer

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

8/9/2019 12:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/9/2019 12:05 PM

Mike, i believe you are in PA (bloomsburg, maybe) location not showing on my phone.

I live in Chambersburg and have always wantef a track myself. My dad doesnt work for DEP but he works with DEP regularly. He let me know about the regulations and told me to contact someone before I do anything.

I havent bought the land yet, but I went ahead and called. If the track takes up more than one acre in area you need to pay to have someone look at it annually to evaluate water runoff and things like that. I believe it was $1000 annually. Additionally, if there is more than 5000 square feet of earth moving activity then you have to pay even more to have DEP look at water runoff, and things like that. I think he said that could be close to $20k.

In short, im building a track just less than 1 acre in area and will use less than 5000 sq feet for jumps when i build my track. Glad we have pitbikes.

Lastly, next time you build a track put trees around it so people cant see it.

|

8/9/2019 12:31 PM

mikec265 wrote:

I think this is your biggest problem. It's right by a public road so everyone can see it. Like others said, out of sight, out of mind.

|

8/9/2019 12:44 PM

Make them sign a liability waiver before entering the property just as you would for anyone you let ride there.

|

8/9/2019 12:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/9/2019 7:56 PM

Their only angle can be soil erosion and run off.

Make sure that if there are any ditches, you have some silt fence up to make it look like you’re conscience.

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.