Entering the track after a crash

Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
Edited Date/Time 11/15/2018 3:44pm
I Hope this is something being Discussed By promoters, it seems like its been getting worse the last few years and needs to be addressed or revisited or revised or something , i think the rule is just re enter the track at the soonest place you think is safe , but riders are taking advantage of the rule it seems, if a rider chrashes or goes off the track for another reason , they Are holding it wide open along side of the track while they look For a safe place to Re enter , and i get it that they are trying not to lose time , but imo if you make a mistake than you should lose some time ,
Imo it should be enter the track exactly where you went off
Or within 20 feet , even if you have to stop and do a U turn.
Poll

Entering the track after a chrash or after off track excursions

Choices
|
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3887th
11/15/2018 9:06am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2018 9:07am
Leave the rule as is. Entering where you went off rarely ever works, and entering within 20 feet doesn't make sense if there's bales across the entire track. I say leave an area to enter the track at the end of every lane and make the rule where you have to enter in that designated area. Make those designated areas in spots where it isn't a blind spot to riders coming up to it. There you go...

It's not the riders fault that the AMA is inconsistent with their penalties.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
11/15/2018 9:09am
Leave the rule as is. Entering where you went off rarely ever works, and entering within 20 feet doesn't make sense if there's bales across the...
Leave the rule as is. Entering where you went off rarely ever works, and entering within 20 feet doesn't make sense if there's bales across the entire track. I say leave an area to enter the track at the end of every lane and make the rule where you have to enter in that designated area. Make those designated areas in spots where it isn't a blind spot to riders coming up to it. There you go...

Yes making a designated area in each lane
Would be an idea worth looking into also
FuzzyLogic
11/15/2018 9:29am
It's too bad there isn't a great way to enforce it but, how about enter at the nearest safe point you can / want... but you cannot take your bike out of 1st gear while off the track.

I have a hard time with this because on one hand there needs to be hard and fast rules so there is consistency. On the other, we are talking about guys crashing dirt bikes on an obstacle filled course, so some discretion needs to be used.

The Shop

TDeath21
11/15/2018 10:00am
Those voting to leave the rule as is are crazy. If you think it’s okay to have the riders pin it off the track near flaggers and safety workers then I don’t even know what to say honestly.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
11/15/2018 10:13am
I feel like now sometimes riders are choosing to exit the track when they could stay on because they can lose less time by exiting.

Look at Vegas 2017 when Tomac stuffs Dungey before the triple. I feel like Dungey could have stayed on the track but then he would have been forced to roll the triple, coating him a lot of time. By leaving the track he was able to pin it and lose zero time (even allowing him to take Tomac wide in the folllowing 90 degree turn, if I recall correctly).
newmann
11/15/2018 10:38am
What are the rules for riding in the pits at your local track? First gear, idle, 5 mph, 10 mph?
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/15/2018 10:48am
Leave the rule as is. Entering where you went off rarely ever works, and entering within 20 feet doesn't make sense if there's bales across the...

I just want to point out that you said leave the rule the same, then suggested a change. TongueLaughing

I like the idea of designated re-entry points. Riders would have to proceed safely to those points, then re-enter only in those areas. The track designers could build safe re-entry zones right into the track designs.
early
Fantasy
2231st
11/15/2018 10:59am
Start out with heavy enforcement of the rule at A1 and the problem will fix itself.
tingo
11/15/2018 11:36am
Don't pin it off track and don't cut any chorners.
TDeath21
11/15/2018 11:42am
SPYGUY wrote:
I feel like now sometimes riders are choosing to exit the track when they [i]could[/i] stay on because they can lose less time by exiting. Look...
I feel like now sometimes riders are choosing to exit the track when they could stay on because they can lose less time by exiting.

Look at Vegas 2017 when Tomac stuffs Dungey before the triple. I feel like Dungey could have stayed on the track but then he would have been forced to roll the triple, coating him a lot of time. By leaving the track he was able to pin it and lose zero time (even allowing him to take Tomac wide in the folllowing 90 degree turn, if I recall correctly).
Yep. Happens all the time.

Slow down and stay on the track, probably having to roll a lot of jumps in the upcoming section, or pin it along side the track, skip the section, and re-enter at the end of it, not losing any time. Option B obviously since they won't enforce it.

Look at Barcia at Ironman in the mud just this past season. He crashes in the corner leading into the rollers. He's going to lose a lot of time here. No momentum in the mud entering the rollers. Nope. He just points his front tire off the track, pins it down the side of the rollers, regains his speed, then re-enters.

It's an absolute joke the way it is now. Harsh penalties need to be imposed on those who break the rules.

Here's my solution.

If you go off the track, you have two options. One of which carries no penalty and one which carries a harsh one.

Re-enter where you went off. If that means you have to wait awhile for a safe time to re-enter, then that's the way it is. Some leeway will be given here. You don't have to enter right on the landing of the triple. If you just roll along the side super slow and then immediately turn to re-enter then that's fine. Etc.

Option two is that you re-enter at what you deem as the next safest point while knowing you will get a penalty. The penalty will be as follows. X amount of seconds added to the end of your race time calculated by your average time throughout the race through the section that you skipped, plus an extra five seconds(SX) or ten seconds(MX). Furthermore, any positions the race officials deem that you saved or gained during this off track excursion will be added as well.

For example, if you are in a SX race and go off the track before the rhythm section with three guys right on your tail and pin it down the side of the track and stay in front of them and you finish second on the night, your penalty will go something like this: Average time the rhythm section took you throughout the race was seven seconds. That's added to your final race time. Then an additional five seconds are added. Now we are up to twelve seconds added to your final time. Then we go ahead and take away the three positions that the officials deem you saved there by pinning it down the side of the track. Your final punishment and official results would be twelve seconds taken away from your final time. Let's say that puts you to sixth position. Then three are added for your final finishing position coming in at ninth place.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/15/2018 11:48am
early wrote:
Start out with heavy enforcement of the rule at A1 and the problem will fix itself. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/15/302653/s1200_Screenshot_20181115_135507_2.jpg[/img]
Start out with heavy enforcement of the rule at A1 and the problem will fix itself.
I feel like 1 isn't specific enough. What do they consider unsafe? Getting on the gas and losing the rear end? Getting on the gas and not losing any spots? Spinning the rear tire? Everyone can read that in their own way and argue later on that what they did was safe and not specifically addressed in the rule book.
Dcope17
11/15/2018 11:49am
I hear the part where they can not get an advantage... however, going off the thrack should yield a slight disadvantage. I mean, I can ride pro SX if I just go around all the jumps then fall back in behind the guy that was in front of me.
I haven't figured out a way to rule it and make it work. So I have nhothing.
omalley
11/15/2018 11:59am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
What's a chrash?
I think it’s a crash where you thrash around afterwards
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/15/2018 12:00pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
What's a chrash?
omalley wrote:
I think it’s a crash where you thrash around afterwards
That makes sense. Thanks, bro!
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
11/15/2018 12:16pm
Does this question refer to pro racing and their rules?
Yes I am Referring Specifically to Pro Racing, I personally havent seen this issue in any local racing
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3887th
11/15/2018 12:24pm

Falcon wrote:
I just want to point out that you said leave the rule the same, then suggested a change. :P :laugh: I like the idea of designated...
I just want to point out that you said leave the rule the same, then suggested a change. TongueLaughing

I like the idea of designated re-entry points. Riders would have to proceed safely to those points, then re-enter only in those areas. The track designers could build safe re-entry zones right into the track designs.
The only thing I said was to make a designated area to enter the track, but leave the rule as is.
Motox627!
11/15/2018 12:26pm
tingo wrote:
Don't pin it off track and don't cut any chorners.
Ha! Holy shit, i just laughed out loud at my desk! Thanks for that!
TXDirt
11/15/2018 12:44pm
Go off track and cut track and re-enter where you want. Just like JMart did at Millville a few years back! lol
11/15/2018 2:26pm
I’m with you on this, in SX we see it too much where a rider goes off the track and pins down the side of a rhythm and enters where in the same position they went off.
Maybe there should be a speed limit? But that would be hard to enforce.

Post a reply to: Entering the track after a crash

The Latest