Engine cradle dent

TeamGreen
1/14/2020 7:53am
What year and type of frame is it?
byke
1/14/2020 9:43am
Must be a lot of frame breaking pro's up in here!

I'd run it.

Disclaimer: This comment is not from a frame breaking pro.
1/14/2020 10:01am
£200???!!! Do you have somewhere local to you that does aluminium wheel repairs? I bet you do. I have a place locally that I could wheel...
£200???!!!
Do you have somewhere local to you that does aluminium wheel repairs? I bet you do.

I have a place locally that I could wheel that in, and ten minutes and £20 later it’d be done!

I wouldn’t be concerned about heat treatment of that. If it were a weld from tubing on to the ‘neck’ or shock mounts of the frame then maybe, but not that mid-tube area.

If the hole is 5mm across, your welder will know to penetrate at least 15-20mm across, to grab any of those stress fractures which may have started to branch off of the sharp edges that are there. If he’s penetrating right through the aluminium you won’t need to worry too much about future stress fractures.
Furthermore, where it is on the bike is very easily inspected.

It wouldn’t be a cause for concern for me.
But search around before you shell out the £200.
It's the cheapest I can find that's nearer to me. I have tried everywhere and they have said its too small of a job to even...
It's the cheapest I can find that's nearer to me. I have tried everywhere and they have said its too small of a job to even consider.
Where in the UK are you?

The Shop

1/14/2020 10:31am
£200???!!! Do you have somewhere local to you that does aluminium wheel repairs? I bet you do. I have a place locally that I could wheel...
£200???!!!
Do you have somewhere local to you that does aluminium wheel repairs? I bet you do.

I have a place locally that I could wheel that in, and ten minutes and £20 later it’d be done!

I wouldn’t be concerned about heat treatment of that. If it were a weld from tubing on to the ‘neck’ or shock mounts of the frame then maybe, but not that mid-tube area.

If the hole is 5mm across, your welder will know to penetrate at least 15-20mm across, to grab any of those stress fractures which may have started to branch off of the sharp edges that are there. If he’s penetrating right through the aluminium you won’t need to worry too much about future stress fractures.
Furthermore, where it is on the bike is very easily inspected.

It wouldn’t be a cause for concern for me.
But search around before you shell out the £200.
It's the cheapest I can find that's nearer to me. I have tried everywhere and they have said its too small of a job to even...
It's the cheapest I can find that's nearer to me. I have tried everywhere and they have said its too small of a job to even consider.
Where in the UK are you?
Rugby/coventry
sleeve1
Fantasy
2134th
1/22/2020 6:22am
Post welding work. Went better than I imagined [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/01/22/399655/s1200_DSC_0219.jpg[/img]
Post welding work. Went better than I imagined
Looks great. How much did it end up costing?
Looks like your welder did a bang up job.
TXDirt
1/22/2020 6:38am Edited Date/Time 1/22/2020 6:39am
Would water getting in there and sitting start to corrode, this weakening it even more?

I’d get it fixed.
1/22/2020 7:08am
Post welding work. Went better than I imagined [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/01/22/399655/s1200_DSC_0219.jpg[/img]
Post welding work. Went better than I imagined
sleeve1 wrote:
Looks great. How much did it end up costing?
Looks like your welder did a bang up job.
200 pound. Roughly 280 dollar's
TeamGreen
1/22/2020 10:22am
Nice!

Congrats. Did ya get a skid plate, yet?
1/22/2020 11:15am
TeamGreen wrote:
Nice!

Congrats. Did ya get a skid plate, yet?
Yeah a works connection full coverage alimunium
1/22/2020 11:19am
Luxon MX wrote:
The frame is almost certainly some sort of heat treatable alloy as Josh mentioned, likely the artificially aged T6 temper. When you weld an alloy like...
The frame is almost certainly some sort of heat treatable alloy as Josh mentioned, likely the artificially aged T6 temper. When you weld an alloy like this, that T6 temper goes away and it becomes T0(ish), which is far weaker than T6. But over the course of days or a few weeks, that area "ages" and moves up to the T4 condition, which is far stronger than T0, but not as strong as T6. I wouldn't worry about any of that, though, as it happens all by itself.

As others have mentioned, this isn't in a particularly high stress area of the frame. Clean it up really well and either fill it in or weld a plate over it. If it were me, I'd just fill it in and sand it smooth again. Check on it every so often, the suggestion of every time you change a filter is good, but I highly doubt it will be an issue.

If this were a different area of the frame, though, then this advice may not apply. There are some highly stressed areas of the frame that I wouldn't mess with.
The welder said that if I apply strong vibration to the welded area it will be stronger. Something to do with the molecules in the aluminium.
Camp332
1/22/2020 11:39am
The repair looks good Bro!
PTshox
1/23/2020 8:16pm
Yeah been quoted £200 from a mobile welder which is fine by me. What will he just do, fill with more alimunium
That's nuts for a price! My guy does that for $25 bucks and he'll do it while you wait. And he's a welding stud! Teaches the guys that teach welding classes at the local Jr College.
SEEMEFIRST
1/23/2020 8:32pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2020 8:35pm
Hell, my steel frames KX is nearly flat around that place.
You must not see a lot of rocks.

Not really, but it's beat to hell..
MXBen711
1/24/2020 7:32am
Where in the UK are you?
Rugby/coventry
Look up Linear Projects or Altech welding services next time you need something welding mate, both have done work for me before and they are excellent
Mossy
1/24/2020 5:42pm
Personally I would try to find a new frame or buy a new bike. That frame is junk after that type of structural damage.
byke
1/24/2020 5:46pm
Yeah, I throw mine away when they get dirty too.

Post a reply to: Engine cradle dent

The Latest