Engine cradle dent

Related:
Create New Tag

1/11/2020 6:50 AM

Afternoon all. Just wondering if this is anything to be worried about. It's not cracked or anything. Just a dent Photo

|

1/11/2020 6:57 AM

From what I can see, I would have it reinforced. But that's just me.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

1/11/2020 7:05 AM

Is there a skid plate I could get that could do that

|

1/11/2020 8:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/11/2020 8:11 AM

Maybe it’s the picture but it looks like a hole was punched through the tube. I would want that reinforced. Not an expensive or difficult job for an experienced tig welder.

|

1/11/2020 8:24 AM

Question: If one were to repair that by TIG welding some material over the area; does the
heat weaken the area in any way? Are frames heat treated after assembly and would welding
them change that or something?

|

1/11/2020 8:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/11/2020 12:28 PM

If you decide to have it welded/ reinforced, make sure you unplug your ECU/CDI box.
It could fry it, if you forget ! Happened to me !!

IMO, it’s probably fine, throw a good works connection skid plate on it and then keep an eye on it, I’ve seen way worse.

|

1/11/2020 9:12 AM

langhammx wrote:

If you decide to have it welded/ reinforced, make sure you unplug your ECU/CDI box.

IMO, it’s probably fine, throw a good works connection skid plate on it and then keep an eye on it, I’ve seen way worse.

The ones u have seen that are worse. Was they still riding n that. Thanks

|

1/11/2020 9:17 AM

I had a much larger dent on mine and rode it for two years before selling it and never had a problem,I did put a skid plate on it after.

|

1/11/2020 9:18 AM

I would run it. No real issue there imo

|

1/11/2020 9:18 AM

langhammx wrote:

Nemesismx1990 wrote:

Did you punch a hole in it or just dent it?

|

1/11/2020 9:40 AM

I had something similar on my previous bike. It will be fine. They build in safety margin during design.

|

1/11/2020 11:03 AM

langhammx wrote:

Nemesismx1990 wrote:

Tuna wrote:

I went up this rock I think. I didn't even know I did it. There is a little hole

|

1/11/2020 11:15 AM

Nemesismx1990 wrote:

Tuna wrote:

Nemesismx1990 wrote:

I went up this rock I think. I didn't even know I did it. There is a little hole

Personally I would fix it if it has a hole in it. I would always be thinking about it.

|

1/11/2020 11:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/11/2020 11:32 AM

FWYT wrote:

Question: If one were to repair that by TIG welding some material over the area; does the
heat weaken the area in any way? Are frames heat treated after assembly and would welding

Edit: I saw that there is actually a hole all the way through it, disregard
|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com

1/11/2020 11:48 AM

FWYT wrote:

Welds just harden the material. If you have it stress relieved it wont be a big deal.

Tbh as long as its not punctured id put a skid plate on and ride.

|

1/11/2020 12:29 PM

langhammx wrote:

Nemesismx1990 wrote:

Yes.

|

1/11/2020 12:32 PM

I'm gonna get a skid plate. Just hope it doesn't snap coming off a jump

|

1/11/2020 12:50 PM

I wouldn't worry about it, but skid plates are definitely worth having, even on strickly moto bikes you can get the smaller glide plates.

|

1/11/2020 1:13 PM

Is there any skid plates out there that will cover that up. The bike is a kx450f 2017

|

1/11/2020 1:15 PM

That is why I run these, I use to race motocross when big rocks was on a track, Since I have been running these last 15 years I have had 0 dents.

Photo

|

1/11/2020 2:33 PM

Get the works connection full coverage aluminum skid plate.

|

1/11/2020 2:40 PM

If there is ha hole punched in the tube, I would absolutely get it repaired by a professional welder! Aluminum is sensitive to stress risers, and that hole punched in the tube is def. that...

|

1/11/2020 3:59 PM

I get the off road plate, the sx plates are a joke. A few extra lbs wont hurt me a bit.

|

1/11/2020 4:04 PM

Holy cow, don't you dare throw a leg over that death trap. Give me $100 bucks and I'll take it off your hands so you won't be tempted.devil pinch

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

1/11/2020 4:09 PM

plowboy wrote:

Holy cow, don't you dare throw a leg over that death trap. Give me $100 bucks and I'll take it off your hands so you won't be tempted.devil pinch

Very generous of you. Loo

|

1/13/2020 5:20 AM

Photo
|

1/13/2020 5:22 AM

That's the original damage. I hammered the sticking out bit in. I have orederd a works full cover skid plate

|

1/13/2020 5:34 AM

Id have that welded up before you ride. Thats a big ass puncture. Not a dent.

|

1/13/2020 5:56 AM

If it were mine, I'd find a reputable welder and have it fixed. Don't forget to unplug your ECU before welding.

|

if you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

1/13/2020 6:56 AM

Yeah been quoted £200 from a mobile welder which is fine by me. What will he just do, fill with more alimunium

|