Engine Rebuild

Alex_18
8/3/2020 9:43pm
I bought a 2013 CRF 250 for $300 from a friend as a project rebuild. Engine was blown up, bike disassembled, engine disassembled, etc. The engine is in pieces and from the jump, it needs 2 new cases, a crank, valves, piston, and a cylinder. Thats only what i can tell just by opening the ice chest that its in. I would feel confident enough to do it myself had i been the one to disassemble the engine. Theres just too many unknowns for me to get into the rebuild of it and would rather someone who has done it before handle it so Im looking for a shop that can handle this rebuilt without costing me an arm and a leg. Any recommendations would be appreciated
|
FWYT
8/3/2020 9:56pm
Well, honestly, my recommendation is that if you have at least basic skills, which you do, is to get a manual and do it yourself.

I bought a bike in boxes like that once and it was a little daunting at first but honestly, it wasn't that hard. It's just kind of a jigsaw puzzle and the shop manual is the guide. You can do it!!
Alex_18
8/3/2020 10:11pm
I have the service manual and im a helicopter mechanic by trade but im really just looking to flip this bike as quickly as possible. I figured i could just send the engine off and let someone else do it while i take care of the rest of the bike. Its going to be a full rebuild. Disassembling everything. Forks, shock, wheels, etc
8/3/2020 10:14pm
I would recommend getting a shop manual and also use online microfiche for every step of the way, that way you can be sure all of the parts are there and and assembled in the proper sequence.
8/3/2020 10:16pm
Alex_18 wrote:
I bought a 2013 CRF 250 for $300 from a friend as a project rebuild. Engine was blown up, bike disassembled, engine disassembled, etc. The engine...
I bought a 2013 CRF 250 for $300 from a friend as a project rebuild. Engine was blown up, bike disassembled, engine disassembled, etc. The engine is in pieces and from the jump, it needs 2 new cases, a crank, valves, piston, and a cylinder. Thats only what i can tell just by opening the ice chest that its in. I would feel confident enough to do it myself had i been the one to disassemble the engine. Theres just too many unknowns for me to get into the rebuild of it and would rather someone who has done it before handle it so Im looking for a shop that can handle this rebuilt without costing me an arm and a leg. Any recommendations would be appreciated
Contact JM racing out of Houston. They aren’t that far from you and could definitely handle getting it back together.

The Shop

soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
8/3/2020 10:30pm
Your problem is going to be giving the shop an engine in pieces. No mechanic wants to work on that. Chances are pieces are missing and based on what you said you'll be 1-2k in parts alone. Your best way to make money on it is parting it out. You can easily make your $$ back that way.
walent215
8/4/2020 2:30am
Im currently working on a project bike very similar but its a 2 stroke . Bought in totes, coffee can, parts bin etc! Its alot to take on!
A 7 year old grenaded 250f will be a hard project to flip for a decent profit.
I can save you some money on parts/labor but even so You will be invested enough it would make more sense to keep the bike afterwards.. imo
These types of projects can be fun but i would really sharpen your pencil on this one bud!
ctbale
8/4/2020 2:46am Edited Date/Time 8/4/2020 2:47am
Yup, no way to come out ahead if your paying someone to do the motor from a cooler. Trust me on this (I am an ex helicopter mechanic). Your going to want every piece "airworthy" and thats gunna cost $$. I would do the whole thing, or part it out. Either way were talking tons of time
Radfonz
8/4/2020 3:43am
dude part it out as best you can and put the money toward something in one piece!
Brad460
Fantasy
807th
8/4/2020 4:50am Edited Date/Time 8/4/2020 4:50am
Group the internals of the engine together...Geartrain, bolts, cases, bearings, cam/rocker arms, etc and ensure everything is there...Then make a list of what needs to be replaced. Check online parts diagrams..

It’s a simple mx engine...
Paw Paw
8/4/2020 5:44am
Part this one out and look for a better project as you will loose your shirt on it.

Paw Paw
8/4/2020 6:20am
I would take the challenge and rebuild it yourself. The knowledge gained is immense. Also you will make a little money on it.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
8/4/2020 6:45am
Alex_18 wrote:
I have the service manual and im a helicopter mechanic by trade but im really just looking to flip this bike as quickly as possible. I...
I have the service manual and im a helicopter mechanic by trade but im really just looking to flip this bike as quickly as possible. I figured i could just send the engine off and let someone else do it while i take care of the rest of the bike. Its going to be a full rebuild. Disassembling everything. Forks, shock, wheels, etc
You will lose money if you are just trying to flip it. Like the others said you are better parting it out or just sell it as is and try to recover your original $300
Alex_18
8/4/2020 7:42am
Roger that. Thanks everyone. I have some parts for sale if anyone is interested? Haha just kidding

Post a reply to: Engine Rebuild

The Latest