Energy drinks in moto - On their way out?

kev472
6/15/2014 4:34am
Spartacus wrote:
Anyone that thinks the amount of sugar in one of those drinks isn't bad for you need to do some research. Anyone that thinks the amount...
Anyone that thinks the amount of sugar in one of those drinks isn't bad for you need to do some research. Anyone that thinks the amount of sugar, in the majority of stuff the majority of people eat, isn't bad needs to do some research.
In what way is sugar bad?
6/15/2014 5:00am
I don't see how they get any return on investment. Every one is either sponsored by red bull or monster. Seems like everyone already knows about...
I don't see how they get any return on investment. Every one is either sponsored by red bull or monster. Seems like everyone already knows about those. I don't understand how it works. It is awesome that they sponsor so many at such high levels. I don't see what the drink companies get out of it.
Using that logic, no companies with "known" brands should advertise. So no Coke, Pepsi, Chevy, Honda, etc.

Companies need to advertise to keep their brands visible, lest they become RC Cola and completely lose market share.
6/15/2014 6:06am
Spartacus wrote:
Anyone that thinks the amount of sugar in one of those drinks isn't bad for you need to do some research. Anyone that thinks the amount...
Anyone that thinks the amount of sugar in one of those drinks isn't bad for you need to do some research. Anyone that thinks the amount of sugar, in the majority of stuff the majority of people eat, isn't bad needs to do some research.
kev472 wrote:

He told you to research ! There is a limit per day to avoid diabetis which is a pretty severe illness. If you are overweight, it is an added risk factor. I am thin but I follow that closely, I take myself too much sugar as I drink a lot of coffee, the brain loves sugar.
Electro
6/15/2014 6:10am
The energy drink companies, should come up with a real health drink , while they have all this money ,then just keep on rolling and phase the crap out.
Then there is a real product to promote and a justification for sponsorship .

The Shop

6/15/2014 6:12am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2014 6:13am
I have never tasted a Monster Energy drink. But, if it was healthy had no sugar and was better for you than water I would buy...
I have never tasted a Monster Energy drink. But, if it was healthy had no sugar and was better for you than water I would buy a crap load of it.
There is the sugar free.

But as said in this thread, dont abuse of good things. 1 can a day is the maximum. Indeed if you look at all the ingredients, if you drink 2 or 5 cans a day, you will have 2 to 5 times the vitamins level recommended per day, which become a poison. Daily rate must be respected, at least considered, for instance I am as careful when I take protein powder before & after some work out.
kev472
6/15/2014 7:03am
Spartacus wrote:
kev472 wrote:
He told you to research ! There is a limit per day to avoid diabetis which is a pretty severe illness. If you are overweight, it...

He told you to research ! There is a limit per day to avoid diabetis which is a pretty severe illness. If you are overweight, it is an added risk factor. I am thin but I follow that closely, I take myself too much sugar as I drink a lot of coffee, the brain loves sugar.
OK a few recent studies on simple Vs complex carbs (sugar,fructose,sucrose,etc) on how it affects body composition and health markers

Their findings:

For your body composition, it doesn’t matter if a carb is classified as simple or complex or if it has a high or low glycemic or insulin load or index. Only the total amount of carbs in your diet matters and this only matters because carbs contain calories.
For your health, the source of carbs is only relevant if you’re unhealthy. If you’re already healthy, it generally doesn’t matter.

Another study comparing weight loss diets with the same energy content and macronutrient composition but a different glycemic index (and therefore load) found no changes in muscle retention or fat loss between groups.
Moreover, the glycemic load of the diets didn’t affect appetite as measured by perceived hunger, fullness, compliance and ad libitum food intake. Even markers of health were unaffected, including blood pressure, heart rate, fecal patterns (yes, they measured this), glucose and insulin metabolism (!) and blood lipids.
A meta-analysis and systematic review also supported these findings and concluded that the effects on health markers were dependent on their initial values. Low glycemic load diets are good for your health if you’re initially unhealthy (like obese or diabetic), but in healthy populations there was no effect. This is an example of a ceiling effect. You can’t fix what isn’t broken, so if you’re already healthy, eating ‘healthy’ foods at some point stops making you even healthier.

If you’re lean, watch your diet and are physically active, it’s safe to say you belong in the healthy category and the glycemic load of your diet has no considerable effect on your health.

The only other thing to consider is make sure your diet contains enough micro and macronutrients

1. Randomized controlled trial of changes in dietary carbohydrate/fat ratio and simple vs complex carbohydrates on body weight and blood lipids: the CARMEN study. The Carbohydrate Ratio Management in European National diets. Saris WH, Astrup A, Prentice AM, Zunft HJ, Formiguera X, Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Raben A, Poppitt SD, Seppelt B, Johnston S, Vasilaras TH, Keogh GF. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000 Oct;24(10):1310-8.
2. Weight loss in overweight subjects following low-sucrose or sucrose-containing diets. West JA, de Looy AE. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001 Aug;25(8):1122-8.
3. Metabolic and behavioral effects of a high-sucrose diet during weight loss. Surwit RS, Feinglos MN, McCaskill CC, Clay SL, Babyak MA, Brownlow BS, Plaisted CS, Lin PH. Am J Clin Nutr. 1997 Apr;65(4):908-15.
4. Extended use of foods modified in fat and sugar content: nutritional implications in a free-living female population. Gatenby SJ, Aaron JI, Jack VA, Mela DJ. Am J Clin Nutr. 1997 Jun;65(6):1867-73.
5. Effect of fructose on body weight in controlled feeding trials: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sievenpiper JL, de Souza RJ, Mirrahimi A, Yu ME, Carleton AJ, Beyene J, Chiavaroli L, Di Buono M, Jenkins AL, Leiter LA, Wolever TM, Kendall CW, Jenkins DJ. Ann Intern Med. 2012 Feb 21;156(4):291-304.
6. No difference in body weight decrease between a low-glycemic-index and a high-glycemic-index diet but reduced LDL cholesterol after 10-wk ad libitum intake of the low-glycemic-index diet. Sloth B, Krog-Mikkelsen I, Flint A, Tetens I, Björck I, Vinoy S, Elmståhl H, Astrup A, Lang V, Raben A. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Aug;80(2):337-47.
7. No effect of a diet with a reduced glycaemic index on satiety, energy intake and body weight in overweight and obese women. Aston LM, Stokes CS, Jebb SA. Int J Obes (Lond). 2008 Jan;32(1):160-5. Epub 2007 Oct 9.
8. Glycemic response and health–a systematic review and meta-analysis: relations between dietary glycemic properties and health outcomes. Livesey G, Taylor R, Hulshof T, Howlett J. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Jan;87(1):258S-268S.
9. The effects of low and high glycemic index foods on exercise performance and beta-endorphin responses. Jamurtas AZ, Tofas T, Fatouros I, Nikolaidis MG, Paschalis V, Yfanti C, Raptis S, Koutedakis Y. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2011 Oct 20;8:15.
6/15/2014 7:13am
Did anyone notice that on the podium interview at High Point BB4 was drinking water from regular bottle and not his usual Monster can? He didn't seem to hide it or be too worried about it either. Was he making a statement?
6/15/2014 8:31am
kev472 wrote:
He told you to research ! There is a limit per day to avoid diabetis which is a pretty severe illness. If you are overweight, it...

kev472 wrote:
OK a few recent studies on simple Vs complex carbs (sugar,fructose,sucrose,etc) on how it affects body composition and health markers Their findings: For your body composition...
OK a few recent studies on simple Vs complex carbs (sugar,fructose,sucrose,etc) on how it affects body composition and health markers

Their findings:

For your body composition, it doesn’t matter if a carb is classified as simple or complex or if it has a high or low glycemic or insulin load or index. Only the total amount of carbs in your diet matters and this only matters because carbs contain calories.
For your health, the source of carbs is only relevant if you’re unhealthy. If you’re already healthy, it generally doesn’t matter.

Another study comparing weight loss diets with the same energy content and macronutrient composition but a different glycemic index (and therefore load) found no changes in muscle retention or fat loss between groups.
Moreover, the glycemic load of the diets didn’t affect appetite as measured by perceived hunger, fullness, compliance and ad libitum food intake. Even markers of health were unaffected, including blood pressure, heart rate, fecal patterns (yes, they measured this), glucose and insulin metabolism (!) and blood lipids.
A meta-analysis and systematic review also supported these findings and concluded that the effects on health markers were dependent on their initial values. Low glycemic load diets are good for your health if you’re initially unhealthy (like obese or diabetic), but in healthy populations there was no effect. This is an example of a ceiling effect. You can’t fix what isn’t broken, so if you’re already healthy, eating ‘healthy’ foods at some point stops making you even healthier.

If you’re lean, watch your diet and are physically active, it’s safe to say you belong in the healthy category and the glycemic load of your diet has no considerable effect on your health.

The only other thing to consider is make sure your diet contains enough micro and macronutrients

1. Randomized controlled trial of changes in dietary carbohydrate/fat ratio and simple vs complex carbohydrates on body weight and blood lipids: the CARMEN study. The Carbohydrate Ratio Management in European National diets. Saris WH, Astrup A, Prentice AM, Zunft HJ, Formiguera X, Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Raben A, Poppitt SD, Seppelt B, Johnston S, Vasilaras TH, Keogh GF. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000 Oct;24(10):1310-8.
2. Weight loss in overweight subjects following low-sucrose or sucrose-containing diets. West JA, de Looy AE. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001 Aug;25(8):1122-8.
3. Metabolic and behavioral effects of a high-sucrose diet during weight loss. Surwit RS, Feinglos MN, McCaskill CC, Clay SL, Babyak MA, Brownlow BS, Plaisted CS, Lin PH. Am J Clin Nutr. 1997 Apr;65(4):908-15.
4. Extended use of foods modified in fat and sugar content: nutritional implications in a free-living female population. Gatenby SJ, Aaron JI, Jack VA, Mela DJ. Am J Clin Nutr. 1997 Jun;65(6):1867-73.
5. Effect of fructose on body weight in controlled feeding trials: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sievenpiper JL, de Souza RJ, Mirrahimi A, Yu ME, Carleton AJ, Beyene J, Chiavaroli L, Di Buono M, Jenkins AL, Leiter LA, Wolever TM, Kendall CW, Jenkins DJ. Ann Intern Med. 2012 Feb 21;156(4):291-304.
6. No difference in body weight decrease between a low-glycemic-index and a high-glycemic-index diet but reduced LDL cholesterol after 10-wk ad libitum intake of the low-glycemic-index diet. Sloth B, Krog-Mikkelsen I, Flint A, Tetens I, Björck I, Vinoy S, Elmståhl H, Astrup A, Lang V, Raben A. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Aug;80(2):337-47.
7. No effect of a diet with a reduced glycaemic index on satiety, energy intake and body weight in overweight and obese women. Aston LM, Stokes CS, Jebb SA. Int J Obes (Lond). 2008 Jan;32(1):160-5. Epub 2007 Oct 9.
8. Glycemic response and health–a systematic review and meta-analysis: relations between dietary glycemic properties and health outcomes. Livesey G, Taylor R, Hulshof T, Howlett J. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Jan;87(1):258S-268S.
9. The effects of low and high glycemic index foods on exercise performance and beta-endorphin responses. Jamurtas AZ, Tofas T, Fatouros I, Nikolaidis MG, Paschalis V, Yfanti C, Raptis S, Koutedakis Y. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2011 Oct 20;8:15.

Interesting info too. Back to the topic, the WHO recommends 50 to 60 grams per day with a balanced diet of 1800 et 2600 calories. Average in France is 100 gr.

1 monster can contain 11g per 100ml, so 55 grams, the daily rate in 1 can ! I am not against it, I like it, I am just saying that it can be very unhleathy & dangerous to drink 2 or 3 a day.

http://www.passeportsante.net/fr/Actualites/Dossiers/DossierComplexe.as…
kev472
6/15/2014 10:10am
Interesting info too. Back to the topic, the WHO recommends 50 to 60 grams per day with a balanced diet of 1800 et 2600 calories. Average...

Interesting info too. Back to the topic, the WHO recommends 50 to 60 grams per day with a balanced diet of 1800 et 2600 calories. Average in France is 100 gr.

1 monster can contain 11g per 100ml, so 55 grams, the daily rate in 1 can ! I am not against it, I like it, I am just saying that it can be very unhleathy & dangerous to drink 2 or 3 a day.

http://www.passeportsante.net/fr/Actualites/Dossiers/DossierComplexe.as…
Sorry my french isn't that great

I think calorie needs and carb tolerance are highly individual, I'm not saying what the WHO recommend is bad
It's just very general, almost cookie cutter diet as they say
chrisbuehler
6/15/2014 12:17pm
ChrisB10 wrote:
That stuff is poison and it bugs me that little kids will see Villo or Stewy "drinking it" and want to emulate them but the selfish...
That stuff is poison and it bugs me that little kids will see Villo or Stewy "drinking it" and want to emulate them but the selfish moto fan in me knows the sport needs them.
kev472 wrote:
Poison that's funny considering http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill/ Too much of a good thing is equally bad then? Energy drinks have a lot of stimulants, maybe best to keep...
Poison that's funny considering

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-drinking-too…

Too much of a good thing is equally bad then?

Energy drinks have a lot of stimulants, maybe best to keep away from kids for that reason

Coffee contains stimulants so does green tea etc
You can die from too much potassium, or vitamin k too. That doesn't mean they're bad for you. That is a very weak argument.
Ya it's just about the worst argument ever actually.
kev472
6/15/2014 12:44pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2014 1:24pm
Ya it's just about the worst argument ever actually.
Please enlighten me on how it's the worst, maybe my english is not sufficiënt

someone called energy drinks poison yet no one can provide some actual data
is it the sugar content?
caffeine content?
is it taurine that's the poison

Hell caffeine is the most used ergogenic aid in the world
coffee the most consumed beverage in the world
people have been drinking it for centuries

if you have a heart condition and you use to much caffeine to the point where you develop health problems do you blame the caffeine or should you yourself maybe have practiced a bit more moderation in caffeine consumption

If your obese and prone to develop diabetes, and you keep consuming heaps of sugar loaded foods is that the sugar(foods) fault?

people are so extreme in their opinions it's all so black or white
there's no middle ground anymore
ford832
6/15/2014 12:50pm
Ramrod wrote:
If they went away maybe the sport could scale back a bit and go back to box vans etc? Again, why can't they have alcohol sponsorships...
If they went away maybe the sport could scale back a bit and go back to box vans etc?

Again, why can't they have alcohol sponsorships? Everyone drinks beer.
I'm good with that.I'd be all over a set of Moosehead Mullisha graphics.Laughing

Post a reply to: Energy drinks in moto - On their way out?

The Latest