Energy drinks in moto - On their way out?

Chad McCan
Edited Date/Time 6/15/2014 12:50pm
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/motogp/energy-drink-marketing-motgp/

This article is focused on MotoGP, but I think it's relevant to our sport. No doubt, this topic has been discussed here previously. Sponsors like Lucas Oil become incredibly important, if any of this happens.

I'm sure teams and riders are looking at the realities of their situations if this comes to fruition.
|
Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
6/13/2014 8:35am
No energy sponsors and this sport will take a HUGE hit.
superorbital
6/13/2014 8:37am
I don't see how they get any return on investment. Every one is either sponsored by red bull or monster. Seems like everyone already knows about those. I don't understand how it works. It is awesome that they sponsor so many at such high levels. I don't see what the drink companies get out of it.
ChrisB10
6/13/2014 8:38am Edited Date/Time 6/13/2014 8:38am
That stuff is poison and it bugs me that little kids will see Villo or Stewy "drinking it" and want to emulate them but the selfish moto fan in me knows the sport needs them.
71Fish
6/13/2014 8:39am
Madmax31 wrote:
Didn't happen when tabacco sponsors were forced out of NASCAR.

The Shop

Lightning78
6/13/2014 9:04am
Madmax31 wrote:
A huge hit? If their departure is rapid, this sport will cease to exist. The energy drinks fund about 85% or more of the sport and other big dollar sponsors arent really allowed like beer and alcohol companie so our options are very limited. I can't imagine any other industry spending millions on a niche sport that is unprofessional with regards to providing an ROI after they get the sponsorship dollars. The trend with most teams that have folded due to sponsore pulling out is bec they just want and take the money with no real plan on how to give back to the companies providing the funding. RCH and JGR are the ONLY teams that really have a professional approach to this glaring problem and they don't have an energy drink sponsor which means they can probably see the writing on the wall and are hedging their position in case something like this happens… just my .02 because it doesn't seem like the industry/sport has a contingency plan in case this happens and what scares me is how energy drinks basically run the sport for lack of a better word i.e. telling teams who to hire based in their relationship with rider x (marketability aside) when there is a rider looking for a ride far more qualified.
hvaughn88
6/13/2014 9:18am
I don't see how they get any return on investment. Every one is either sponsored by red bull or monster. Seems like everyone already knows about...
I don't see how they get any return on investment. Every one is either sponsored by red bull or monster. Seems like everyone already knows about those. I don't understand how it works. It is awesome that they sponsor so many at such high levels. I don't see what the drink companies get out of it.
I doubt it's a huge amount on a grand scale, but have you seen the amount of monster cans that are bought just to get into the pits before the race? I've done it multiple times, buy it and pour it on the grass and then head to the pits.
mauidex
6/13/2014 9:19am
not a question of if.........................the question is when...............NASCAR is a completely differnt animal Fish.........50% women fan base to start.............in 4 decades moto has not been able to attract any significant consumer mainstream companies............hopefully something or someone else comes along that can see the value
mauidex
6/13/2014 9:23am
and in case no one remembers..............when Camel was basically forced out of the industry it was the beginning of the end of the Honda OEM factory supported road racing program..................be a hard decision for Kawasaki to continue as is if Monster goes away......
mgifracing
Fantasy
346th
6/13/2014 9:48am
mauidex wrote:
and in case no one remembers..............when Camel was basically forced out of the industry it was the beginning of the end of the Honda OEM factory...
and in case no one remembers..............when Camel was basically forced out of the industry it was the beginning of the end of the Honda OEM factory supported road racing program..................be a hard decision for Kawasaki to continue as is if Monster goes away......
Camel/ winston(phillip-morris) when they pulled out it affected all forms of racing. Dirttrack and road racing purses were cut 70 % or more. I literally quit going to as many nationals when it happened. It was a bad deal.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
6/13/2014 9:52am
If they went away maybe the sport could scale back a bit and go back to box vans etc?

Again, why can't they have alcohol sponsorships? Everyone drinks beer.
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
6/13/2014 9:58am
mauidex wrote:
and in case no one remembers..............when Camel was basically forced out of the industry it was the beginning of the end of the Honda OEM factory...
everytime I go to redbud..there are tons of people I see slamming redbull,monsters,etc....TONS!
6/13/2014 10:03am
Its only a matter of time until lawyers blame all kinds of medical issues on Energy drinks and then the states start passing laws against them advertising to minors. Then its a done deal I am sorry to say. Lawyers will be the ones to push that issue.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/13/2014 10:05am Edited Date/Time 6/13/2014 10:07am
Ramrod wrote:
If they went away maybe the sport could scale back a bit and go back to box vans etc? Again, why can't they have alcohol sponsorships...
If they went away maybe the sport could scale back a bit and go back to box vans etc?

Going back to box vans would accomplish what, exactly?

I don't think there's any ban per se, of alcohol sponsorships.

As for energy drinks going away? I don't see it happening any time soon, unless they get legislated out of existence.

Would it kill the sport if energy drinks went away? No. Would teams have to get more creative about their pitches to other companies? Yep.

I'm kind of amazed at the amount of negativity on the forum right now. Look at the number of hand-wringing topics out there...for no real good reason.
Ebs
6/13/2014 10:09am
I wonder how much RV got for doing the 'fake sip out of the empty can' move before his interviews.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
6/13/2014 10:16am
Ramrod wrote:
If they went away maybe the sport could scale back a bit and go back to box vans etc? Again, why can't they have alcohol sponsorships...

Since the legalization has begun how about grow house sponsorship....everyone smokes pot.

Would love to see Dung on the podium hitting the water pipe after a hard moto instead of swigging the poison
BAMX
6/13/2014 10:20am
Ramrod wrote:

I don't think that there is a ban but like cigarettes the manufacturers are hyper sensitive to who they are marketing to and, MX has a huge under 21 fan base.
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
6/13/2014 10:37am
Ramrod wrote:

KennyT wrote:
Since the legalization has begun how about grow house sponsorship....everyone smokes pot. Would love to see Dung on the podium hitting the water pipe after a...
Since the legalization has begun how about grow house sponsorship....everyone smokes pot.

Would love to see Dung on the podium hitting the water pipe after a hard moto instead of swigging the poison
HA....I don't see that happening...the sponsorship deal maybe(money is there)....the dunge hitting a bong(haha)=NO....never
Conkey
6/13/2014 10:48am
Madmax31 wrote:
71Fish wrote:
Didn't happen when tabacco sponsors were forced out of NASCAR.
It happen when the tobacco happened because the economy was in decent shape. Even though right now the DOW is up doesn't mean it would be ok when the Red Bull's and Monsters leave.
6/13/2014 10:54am
GuyB wrote:
Going back to box vans would accomplish what, exactly? I don't think there's any ban per se, of alcohol sponsorships. As for energy drinks going away...

As for energy drinks going away? I don't see it happening any time soon, unless they get legislated out of existence.

Would it kill the sport if energy drinks went away? No. Would teams have to get more creative about their pitches to other companies? Yep.

I'm kind of amazed at the amount of negativity on the forum right now. Look at the number of hand-wringing topics out there...for no real good reason.
This forum has been this negative ever since I started lurking here. I started a thread about anything positive and moto-related. When I went to check it a few hours later, I couldn't find it on the first page.
6/13/2014 10:58am
I don't see how they get any return on investment. Every one is either sponsored by red bull or monster. Seems like everyone already knows about...
hvaughn88 wrote:
I doubt it's a huge amount on a grand scale, but have you seen the amount of monster cans that are bought just to get into...
I doubt it's a huge amount on a grand scale, but have you seen the amount of monster cans that are bought just to get into the pits before the race? I've done it multiple times, buy it and pour it on the grass and then head to the pits.

I used to spend $200 a month on energy drinks, so yeah, they get a ROI for a special water ! Smile
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
6/13/2014 10:58am
GuyB wrote:
Going back to box vans would accomplish what, exactly? I don't think there's any ban per se, of alcohol sponsorships. As for energy drinks going away...

I guess I meant going back to the grass roots and racing with no semi's, more stock bikes, or whatever just to keep the cost down. That won't happen of course.

I think if energy drinks ever get the pressure to stop those products, it won't matter anyways. They have built their brand up and are so "cool" or whatever that they could produce soda and still sell like crazy. I'm sure they have a plan B.
Lane-O103
6/13/2014 11:01am
Camel, Chesterfield, Winston. Bud Light, Coors, Bud, PBR all need to get back in the SX/MX business.....and 2 strokes too can't forget the 2 strokes
IceMan446
6/13/2014 11:05am
In the thread about what companies you don't like, Monster got a lot of hate.

But they dump more money into supercross than any other sponsor.

Them leaving would leave a HUGE impact on the sport.
kev472
6/13/2014 11:52am
ChrisB10 wrote:
That stuff is poison and it bugs me that little kids will see Villo or Stewy "drinking it" and want to emulate them but the selfish...
That stuff is poison and it bugs me that little kids will see Villo or Stewy "drinking it" and want to emulate them but the selfish moto fan in me knows the sport needs them.
Poison that's funny considering

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-drinking-too…

Too much of a good thing is equally bad then?

Energy drinks have a lot of stimulants, maybe best to keep away from kids for that reason

Coffee contains stimulants so does green tea etc
hvaughn88
6/13/2014 11:54am
Lane-O103 wrote:
Camel, Chesterfield, Winston. Bud Light, Coors, Bud, PBR all need to get back in the SX/MX business.....and 2 strokes too can't forget the 2 strokes
I think PBR sponsors an Arenacross team if I recall correctly. I think it's team Regal was riding for last year.
6/13/2014 11:54am
Ramrod wrote:

Alcohol sponsorship is tricky, because your teem needs to be 21 and over. With the age of some of the riders it's not doable.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
6/13/2014 12:03pm
Ramrod wrote:

Alcohol sponsorship is tricky, because your teem needs to be 21 and over. With the age of some of the riders it's not doable.
So that's the main reason. I wonder if a brewery could bring back something like the Coors silver bullet point like they did in the early 90's for heat race wins in the 250 class and it would get you some cash. I recall some good battles and a definate incentive to go for the win in heat races from it. Nowadays guys get paid for heat wins by the team so that extra would be chump change anyways.
Lane-O103
6/13/2014 12:07pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
I think PBR sponsors an Arenacross team if I recall correctly. I think it's team Regal was riding for last year.
Maybe Ronnie Mac should race Arenacross then
FroDiddy
6/13/2014 12:07pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2014 12:08pm
Ramrod wrote:

Agreed! Why no alcohol sponsors?

Edit: Already answered
Crash82
Fantasy
2036th
6/13/2014 12:07pm
Them things make me turn into a looney bomb.

Post a reply to: Energy drinks in moto - On their way out?

The Latest