Enclosed trailor radio

Mx4life320
Fantasy
2781st
Edited Date/Time 1/23/2012 8:23pm
I am looking to install a radio into my enclosed trailor. The simpler the better. But am willing to run car speakers and build a box for them if thats the best way to do it. Currently i do not have a battery just for the trailor i run the lights with the truck battery. Is there a inexpesive way to put in a portable radio and run the power to the truck battery? Would the truck have to be on to run the radio? Or would it be smarter to do it differently? Any advice would be greatly apperciated
|
Hut
9/7/2011 8:10am
I thought about installing a system in my trailer but ended up doing just that ^^^
We use a sirius portable boom box that sounds pretty good. it has an aux input so we can plug the ipod into it.
Hut
9/7/2011 8:38am
The one we have will run off D cell batteries, I think it takes 8 or 10 of them. It goes through them rather quick so we try and use 120V AC. We do have a 120V converter for stuff like this.

The Shop

mxtech1
9/7/2011 9:05am
You can run it off your truck battery, but i wouldn't do it. You're only going to have about 1 hour of play time at a moderate sound level if youve got a good battery before you will draw to much charge out of the battery to start. You're best bet is to just buy a good Optima deep cycle battery to install in the trailer that you charge before you leave home.

If you want to do it this way, the best way to do it is find a constant 12v fused spot (meaning this location always has 12 volts regardless of key position.) your easiest option is look in your owners manual fuse diagram and find which terminal the factory radio utilizes. Piggyback a wire into that fuse block and run that down and along the truck frame rail. Continue until you reach where the trailer wiring hairness starts. try to get the wire in the plastic loom if possible, if not just use zip-tys to secure it. Put some sort of plug connection on the end (i like spade terminals because they are cheap and easy to connect/disconnect) and bring the end of the wire flush with where your trailer wiring harness ends. At this point you're going to want to install a ground wire. The easiest way is to remove a bolt somewhere near the rear of the truck. Install a ring terminal, big enough to clearance whatetever bolt you choose and sandwich it between the frame and bolt head. Run this ground wire over to your trailer wiring harness and connect it like the 12v wire. Put another connection terminal on the end of the ground wire at the trailer harness.

On the trailer side, put the opposite end terminal on the wires and plug the trailer wiring harness in and connect the wires so you can get an idea where it rests and the best way to route your wires (make sure vehicle battery is not hot first.) Usually, you will want to run the wires to the bottom side of the trailer frame. Connect it to the frame with zip-tys, plastic looming is best, and run it underneath until you reach the floor of the trailer, a little bit past the front edge. Drill a small hole in the floor, 1/2", install a rubber grommet and feed the wires through the hole. Get some silicon sealant and weatherproof around the grommet. Now when you connect the wires at the trailer plug you will have a good 12v source. You can easily run the wires anywere in the trailer to accomodate the location of the radio. It is also a good idea to put in an inline fuse on the 12v wire. Use a fuse that is rated slighlty lower than the fuse in the main fuse panel you tied into in case a short happens you wont blow the factory fuse.

The bad thing about doing it this way is that when you unhook your trailer and lose the 12v signal, you're going to lose all your saved information on your radio like the clock, preset stations, eq settings, etc.
mototyme
Fantasy
4364th
9/7/2011 10:30am
mxtech1 wrote:
You [i]can[/i] run it off your truck battery, but i wouldn't do it. You're only going to have about 1 hour of play time at a...
You can run it off your truck battery, but i wouldn't do it. You're only going to have about 1 hour of play time at a moderate sound level if youve got a good battery before you will draw to much charge out of the battery to start. You're best bet is to just buy a good Optima deep cycle battery to install in the trailer that you charge before you leave home.

If you want to do it this way, the best way to do it is find a constant 12v fused spot (meaning this location always has 12 volts regardless of key position.) your easiest option is look in your owners manual fuse diagram and find which terminal the factory radio utilizes. Piggyback a wire into that fuse block and run that down and along the truck frame rail. Continue until you reach where the trailer wiring hairness starts. try to get the wire in the plastic loom if possible, if not just use zip-tys to secure it. Put some sort of plug connection on the end (i like spade terminals because they are cheap and easy to connect/disconnect) and bring the end of the wire flush with where your trailer wiring harness ends. At this point you're going to want to install a ground wire. The easiest way is to remove a bolt somewhere near the rear of the truck. Install a ring terminal, big enough to clearance whatetever bolt you choose and sandwich it between the frame and bolt head. Run this ground wire over to your trailer wiring harness and connect it like the 12v wire. Put another connection terminal on the end of the ground wire at the trailer harness.

On the trailer side, put the opposite end terminal on the wires and plug the trailer wiring harness in and connect the wires so you can get an idea where it rests and the best way to route your wires (make sure vehicle battery is not hot first.) Usually, you will want to run the wires to the bottom side of the trailer frame. Connect it to the frame with zip-tys, plastic looming is best, and run it underneath until you reach the floor of the trailer, a little bit past the front edge. Drill a small hole in the floor, 1/2", install a rubber grommet and feed the wires through the hole. Get some silicon sealant and weatherproof around the grommet. Now when you connect the wires at the trailer plug you will have a good 12v source. You can easily run the wires anywere in the trailer to accomodate the location of the radio. It is also a good idea to put in an inline fuse on the 12v wire. Use a fuse that is rated slighlty lower than the fuse in the main fuse panel you tied into in case a short happens you wont blow the factory fuse.

The bad thing about doing it this way is that when you unhook your trailer and lose the 12v signal, you're going to lose all your saved information on your radio like the clock, preset stations, eq settings, etc.
Good advice, but do not pull the power source from the fuse box. The fuse box is not designed to handle additional loads. If you are seeking B+ power then take the source directly to the battery. Be sure to install a fuse within 12" from the source and use the correct gauge for the current needed and length. If you wanted switched power take the power from the battery using a relay. If you going to go through this much work you might consider building a small fuse/distrution box inside the trailer to support other devices such as cell phones, games, laptops etc. Good Luck.
Mx4life320
Fantasy
2781st
9/8/2011 6:12am
mxtech1 wrote:
You [i]can[/i] run it off your truck battery, but i wouldn't do it. You're only going to have about 1 hour of play time at a...

Now what if i get a deep cycle battery and mount it in the front of the trailor. Do i need to put some type of a fuse in or a fuse box in the trailor? Also what if you want to power additional items. Sorry, I am eletrical illiterate.
mxtech1
9/8/2011 6:40am
Yes you still need to do a fuse because if you have a short you don't want to kill your radio. Most modern cd players have overload portection/fuses, but they aren't 100% fail-safe.

Like mototyme mentioned, you would also be smart to put in a master switch so you can turn the power off and on without unhooking your wires. This could be something as simple as a toggle switch in-line. For powering additional things, you will want to install a fuse box, or put in some fused junctions. You can run a single, thicker guage, wire into the junction box and then come out of the box for several items with thinner gauge wiring. Basically, everything just needs to be fused for protection.

Radioshack, tractor supply, farm king, lowes, or menards should have the stuff you need. Talk to the guys that work at the stores, usually they do know enough to help you out (although some are idiots so beware.) The internet is your best friend on stuff like this. Do searches and you should easily be able to find some diagrams, technical info, and products needed to complete a similar project.
MXD
9/8/2011 7:55am
I just installed a deep cycle battery on my trailer. Now I have the lights, a DC fan and a small inverter (800w) all on the deep cycle. It charges off the alternator through my trailer harness while I'm driving. It's pretty simple to do and the whole thing cost me about 130 bucks for everything plus some sweat equity. I then installed a "pass through" outlet like the one pictured below and I wired it to a power strip on the inside of my trailer. While I'm at the races, I plug my EU2000 into the pass through on the outside of the trailer to power the AC, TV, computer or whatever and at night I use the battery to power a fan and the lights. I also put a battery tender in my trailer and leave it plugged in to the power strip so when I get home I just plug an extension cord from my outdoor outlet into my trailer and the tender keeps the battery fresh. My battery is 105Ah. My lights and fan draw a total of under 4 amps so if you do the math, the battery will last quite a long time on its own for the bare necessities.

Sounds like a lot but its real simple.

txmxer
9/8/2011 8:14am
Deep cycle battery with a relatively inexpensive solar charger panel will go forever if you check the water levels occasionally. Mount the panel on top of the trailer and you are set.

Post a reply to: Enclosed trailor radio

The Latest