Enclosed trailer, what brands and size to get?

imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
5/20/2020 7:07pm
Tracktor wrote:
Yeah, if you are "killing" diesels with a 40' trailer you are doing something wrong. If anything I could see tranny issues but again it means...
Yeah, if you are "killing" diesels with a 40' trailer you are doing something wrong. If anything I could see tranny issues but again it means you aren't monitoring your shit. Three trucks = user error...........
Pink wrote:
imoto34 wrote:
Who manages to disregard all maintenance to allow a wheel to fall off three times?
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
5/20/2020 7:08pm
Try a little harder pink, debt doesnt show much lol
Tracktor
5/26/2020 1:56pm
imoto34 wrote:
Nothing kills the 5.9 unless your an idiot. 6.7 is far far from an upgrade lol
Tracktor wrote:
Yeah, if you are "killing" diesels with a 40' trailer you are doing something wrong. If anything I could see tranny issues but again it means...
Yeah, if you are "killing" diesels with a 40' trailer you are doing something wrong. If anything I could see tranny issues but again it means you aren't monitoring your shit. Three trucks = user error...........
Pink wrote:
That proves my point - Pretty much every one of those issues is due to shitty maintenance or the driver being completely clueless to arising problems with their rig. Glad you live across the country if you are towing 50k with those POS...

To the OP- for moto I've used a 6x12, 8x16, 8.5x20 & a 7x16. My 8x16 was my favorite, I sold my 20' enclosed to go back to a 16' since that would be easier behind MH & found a 7x16 for a smoking deal so am giving it a try. We usually haul 4-6 bikes minimum as both my boys ride plus bring friends & I like to have a complete shop with tools with me at track. 7' wide is gonna make that tough so we will see.......

The Shop

5/26/2020 7:31pm
Tracktor wrote:
Pink wrote:
Tracktor wrote:
That proves my point - Pretty much every one of those issues is due to shitty maintenance or the driver being completely clueless to arising problems...
That proves my point - Pretty much every one of those issues is due to shitty maintenance or the driver being completely clueless to arising problems with their rig. Glad you live across the country if you are towing 50k with those POS...

To the OP- for moto I've used a 6x12, 8x16, 8.5x20 & a 7x16. My 8x16 was my favorite, I sold my 20' enclosed to go back to a 16' since that would be easier behind MH & found a 7x16 for a smoking deal so am giving it a try. We usually haul 4-6 bikes minimum as both my boys ride plus bring friends & I like to have a complete shop with tools with me at track. 7' wide is gonna make that tough so we will see.......
Thanks I'm leaning towards the 7x14 or 16 right now. I used to pull an 8x20 or 24 i think it was when i was younger doing landscaping so im not too worried about the size for that. Im thinking about the barely loaded trips, and when i take one ranger or one bike somewhere, which would be more than fully loaded.

I think I could make either the 14 or 16 work. Let me know how you like yours. Thanks
crusher773
5/26/2020 9:58pm
I'm going to piggy back here guys. I already have a 16' but I'm looking at getting something small for when we want to go lean and take the little truck a Colorado. I have been thinking a 5x8 with a V Nose. Is to going to be big enough to get 2 big bikes in though? Right now we have big bike and an 85 but eventually will be big bikes. Maybe cram a pitbike in there along with just basics.
kkawboy14
5/27/2020 3:23am
crusher773 wrote:
I'm going to piggy back here guys. I already have a 16' but I'm looking at getting something small for when we want to go lean...
I'm going to piggy back here guys. I already have a 16' but I'm looking at getting something small for when we want to go lean and take the little truck a Colorado. I have been thinking a 5x8 with a V Nose. Is to going to be big enough to get 2 big bikes in though? Right now we have big bike and an 85 but eventually will be big bikes. Maybe cram a pitbike in there along with just basics.
I have a 6x8 and I have no problem with 3 bikes in it. I hate pulling a trailor and only use it when I have to. I mostly just throw everything in the truck and go ride for the day.
Kryan5
5/27/2020 5:56am
I have NEO 7.5x16 with +12" height. They are full aluminum. Has torsion axles. They also offer lots of "add on's". I got Nudo floor, awning, finished walls, cabinets, electric and lighting options with panel, pro flap, recessed L trac, and some others. Didn't have to do anything when I picked it up. Turn buckles to pegs with factory installed L trac and go down the road. Bare trailer is only 1900#. No regrets, tows great with F-150.
https://neotrailers.com/trailer_nam.php
Tracktor
5/27/2020 10:58am Edited Date/Time 5/27/2020 11:01am
Pink wrote:
Tracktor wrote:
That proves my point - Pretty much every one of those issues is due to shitty maintenance or the driver being completely clueless to arising problems...

Thanks I'm leaning towards the 7x14 or 16 right now. I used to pull an 8x20 or 24 i think it was when i was younger...
Thanks I'm leaning towards the 7x14 or 16 right now. I used to pull an 8x20 or 24 i think it was when i was younger doing landscaping so im not too worried about the size for that. Im thinking about the barely loaded trips, and when i take one ranger or one bike somewhere, which would be more than fully loaded.

I think I could make either the 14 or 16 work. Let me know how you like yours. Thanks
My 8x16 tandem towed better than my 6x12 single. I towed both for awhile with a lifted K5 Blazer. Miss that truck. I prefer 8' wide over 7'. Both are same overall width due to axles so might as well use it. Don't go cheap on brand either. I'd buy a higher end used before a cheap ass new one. I've had both torsion & leaf sprung trailers didn;t really notice a difference. Look at support joists & floor thickness if buying new & keep the roof sealed......... I picked up some nice flooring for cheap at www.rubberflooringinc.com in their closeout section. I think a solid floor was $125 delivered? There was even an issue with Fedex shipping so they next day'd me another roll and took care of it. So far the stuff has been great definitely will use again.......
5/27/2020 11:07am
Tracktor wrote:

Thanks I'm leaning towards the 7x14 or 16 right now. I used to pull an 8x20 or 24 i think it was when i was younger...

Tracktor wrote:
My 8x16 tandem towed better than my 6x12 single. I towed both for awhile with a lifted K5 Blazer. Miss that truck. I prefer 8' wide...
My 8x16 tandem towed better than my 6x12 single. I towed both for awhile with a lifted K5 Blazer. Miss that truck. I prefer 8' wide over 7'. Both are same overall width due to axles so might as well use it. Don't go cheap on brand either. I'd buy a higher end used before a cheap ass new one. I've had both torsion & leaf sprung trailers didn;t really notice a difference. Look at support joists & floor thickness if buying new & keep the roof sealed......... I picked up some nice flooring for cheap at www.rubberflooringinc.com in their closeout section. I think a solid floor was $125 delivered? There was even an issue with Fedex shipping so they next day'd me another roll and took care of it. So far the stuff has been great definitely will use again.......
Which are the higher end vs which are the cheap ones? Im looking at some local, one is an interstate 1, has torsion, thicker .030 walls, 16 on centers, higher rock shield, one piece roof, i beam floors i think, radials, etc. stuff like that. Not sure how to tell which are cheap vs quality.
Whymee
5/27/2020 12:21pm
Gents,
I have been pulling trailers in various configurations since the late 70's. Started pulling a 3 rail with a 74 Mustang II. Right now I tow a 7x16 enclosed and a 35' Toyhauler with a 13 King Ranch Diesel. I have learned a few things along the way. In no certain order:
1. An old dude told me to get springs vs torsion. Springs tend to skip over pot holes. Plenty 'holes where I live.
2. Barn doors are best for motocross. You can use the vertical space to secure hoses & the like.
3. Purchase as big a trailer as you can afford. 16' Seems to be my sweet spot. (2 full size & a pitter + sleep area)
4.Secure items off of the floor when possible. Build shelves etc. Items thrown around willy nelly is poor planning.
5.Tow the trailer level. Loaded the truck n trailer should be LEVEL. Most important.
6. Use ATK bike shoes. E-track in toyhauler.
7. Make sure you have a working spare. (truck n trailer!)
8. 1 piece roofs are the berries
9. 8' wide trailers will have a wheel well inside. 7' won't.
10. Paint the inside a light color. Gives good light reflection.
11. Workbench is a must.
12. If it is in the budget, attach a Carefree awning.
13. LED lights, everywhere, please.
14. LED outside work lights.
15. At 60 years old, bring plenty of TP...

Pressure washers:
1. Haul the H2O in the truck when possible.
2. Use a 12V "on demand" pump for positive pressure to the washer. I once went to a new track, and the way I had to park, I had very little positive pressure at the washer. With the on demand pump, I am now set for any configuration.
3. If hauling the washer in the trailer, secure it.
wwdiii
5/27/2020 1:19pm
I bought new trailers a few weeks back. I wanted to buy an enclosed but I would have had to spend way more than I wanted to for the SxS to fit and didn't have a place to keep it. I have enclosed storage for my 16ft tandam dovetail open trailer I bought. I still may buy an enclosed trailer. I am getting close to retirement and can use it to move my dirt bikes, guns, guitars and other crap moving companies do not to move.

Its take a big enclosed trailer to get a side by side to fit in and have room for dirt bike or two. Might be able to get by with a 18 ft. SxS if 9 ft, YZ250F is 7 ft. I'll look into one of these days.
Tracktor
5/27/2020 3:06pm
The barn door recomendation made me think of one more thing - I prefer ramp doors. I add two adjustable folding legs (ebay $20) to the door. Once bikes unloaded pop legs down and now have a rear deck. Everyone loves it great place to sit & chill.........
CRFracer117
Fantasy
3835th
5/28/2020 12:01pm
I picked up a 6x12 Pace with the mind set of hauling 4 bikes, a lot of people said it could not be done but it works. Also loaded down my Toyota Tacoma struggles some, but have used my dads TRD Pro Tundra and you can’t even tell it’s back there.
5/28/2020 3:20pm Edited Date/Time 5/28/2020 3:23pm
I purchased one of those cheap trailers in Georgia three years ago. It's an 8.5X20' V nose with ramp door. Pulls easily loaded down behind my Class A RV. I installed a wall so I could haul my 4010 Mule in the back, two bikes up front with a shelf and work bench. Nothing fancy, just practical. For Arenacross, it hauls five bikes in the back and two mopeds up front, along with all the other race necessities. I paid extra for 5000# axles, $4300 OTD. It's been coast to coast with no problems other than pit dings. I pulled it with my van when I bought it and it struggled. A smaller trailer needed there for sure. They quoted me $1975 for a 7x12 single axle which I wouldn't mind getting in the future. I know, these trailers are considered junk by some people, but I can't see spending 8K or more for a trailer to haul dirt bikes in.

5/28/2020 9:03pm
AngryBear wrote:
what are you pulling it with. that's important!
Yes it is, you never want trailer pushing, moving the truck around. I,ve seen countless pu pulling trailer wrecks. A 1970,s SuperLiner Mack with V8 turned up to 1,000 hp should get,r done. If that is not possible, then add torque chip, etc to get everything out of a 1500 pu. Anyone ever install a shower in there trailer ? A lot of great setup pics, but I never see a shower in a trailer.
jmo443
5/28/2020 11:49pm
AngryBear wrote:
what are you pulling it with. that's important!
Yes it is, you never want trailer pushing, moving the truck around. I,ve seen countless pu pulling trailer wrecks. A 1970,s SuperLiner Mack with V8 turned...
Yes it is, you never want trailer pushing, moving the truck around. I,ve seen countless pu pulling trailer wrecks. A 1970,s SuperLiner Mack with V8 turned up to 1,000 hp should get,r done. If that is not possible, then add torque chip, etc to get everything out of a 1500 pu. Anyone ever install a shower in there trailer ? A lot of great setup pics, but I never see a shower in a trailer.
Outdoor showers seem the way to go. Hang your water out let the sun warm it and store it away nice and compact.
mjshafer62
5/30/2020 12:20pm
I picked up a 6x12 Pace with the mind set of hauling 4 bikes, a lot of people said it could not be done but it...
I picked up a 6x12 Pace with the mind set of hauling 4 bikes, a lot of people said it could not be done but it works. Also loaded down my Toyota Tacoma struggles some, but have used my dads TRD Pro Tundra and you can’t even tell it’s back there.
What brand is the tool cabinet?

Post a reply to: Enclosed trailer, what brands and size to get?

The Latest