Enclosed trailer, what brands and size to get?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/19/2020 7:08 AM

I had a 6x12 with my dad when i was younger, all setup nice, and it got stolen. We never got another one.

Now w my kids, id like to buy something for riding. Maybe 7x14?

What size do you guys like for a couple bikes and a kids quad or 2?

What brands are good and last? Brands to stay away from?

I will probably buy new since Im selling 3 open trailers to get the enclosed.

Anyone use theirs for camping in also?

|

5/19/2020 7:37 AM

We run a 7x14 EXTRA TALL. Thats the ticket cause you can stand up and have lots of room. Also the golf cart will pull in with the roof on. We just kinda happened to buy this one but wasnt especially looking for a tall one, now I would never get anything else. We use ours to camp in as well if the weathers really bad, if not we will throw up a tent. I have no problem fitting lots of bikes in it if you pack them right. I regularly haul 6 bikes (2 are 50s) and have plenty of room for gear, coolers, tools, chairs, canopy, etc. We have e tracks across the floor in the front and on the sides which makes it very versatile. I can pack things whatever way makes the most sense depending on what Im hauling. We also made a fold down table that the old lady will use as the cooking area when we camp. On race day its just a catch all for snacks, drinks, gloves, kids helmets, rocks, and whatever other "treasures" they find, etc.

|

5/19/2020 7:47 AM

Good point on the golf cart. I have a Polaris Ranger I want to be able to take places also. Ill have to look into the height on these to make sure that can fit

|

5/19/2020 7:51 AM

I picked up a 7x16 +12" height this spring. Absolutely love it. have room to haul a Polaris xp4 and a bench in the front. Iwould never go back now or get something smaller. Just having everything loaded and ready to go is a hube plus for me.

|

5/19/2020 9:51 AM

Bravo Brand is really nice, smooth side and they have some pretty cool color packages.

|

5/19/2020 10:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2020 10:34 AM

7x16 seems to be the most popular size...Not too big and not too small. If that makes sense..

Get the extra height..

If buying steel, I think all brands are fairly equal..some better than others. Same for aluminum.

|

5/19/2020 11:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2020 11:06 AM

Are you guys saying the tall is the 6ft or the 6ft6? I just measured my tractor and Ranger and are both about 6ft, so Im guessing the +12 would work best.
Nevermind, just answered my question by re-reading above posts....

|

5/19/2020 11:08 AM

what are you pulling it with. that's important!

|

5/19/2020 11:13 AM

jpfiester82 wrote:

I picked up a 7x16 +12" height this spring. Absolutely love it. have room to haul a Polaris xp4 and a bench in the front. Iwould never go back now or get something smaller. Just having everything loaded and ready to go is a hube plus for me.

I would say you have the absolute perfect trailer. My first trailer was 6x12 single axel, as soon as I finished the build it just seemed a little small. Soooo, the second time I decided on a size, then just went a little bigger. I’m fortunate enough to have a truck that will handle the 8x18x7 inside height. I definitely love the xtra room. Photo
Photo
Photo

|

5/19/2020 11:20 AM

The trailer pics above are very nice!

Im going to be pulling whatever I get with a 1500. MAybe the yukon if it will handle it, but probably my 1500. Im thinking the 7x14 or 7x16 , both w a +12 height.

|

5/19/2020 3:10 PM

Your 1500 series truck won't last long pulling a 7x14 . We ruined the transmission in a Chevy Tahoe 5.3 with towing pkg. pulling a 6x12 tandem axel. Gas millage was around 10 mpg.

|

5/19/2020 3:48 PM

I second the extra height, as far as brands go I would go with ATC or intech.

|

5/19/2020 4:06 PM

alien wrote:

Your 1500 series truck won't last long pulling a 7x14 . We ruined the transmission in a Chevy Tahoe 5.3 with towing pkg. pulling a 6x12 tandem axel. Gas millage was around 10 mpg.

Ram i towed a 33’ toy hauler fully loaded no issue. If a 1500 can’t handle a 7x14 that’s crazy I’d tow that with a damn mini van.

|

5/19/2020 4:18 PM

alien wrote:

Really? I ordered a new aluminum 7x14 V-nose with the +12 height 3 years ago and pull it with a new (at the time) 17 Tacoma crew. We typically put 4 full size bikes, 2 pitters, gear ,fuel, full tool box and haul it 18-25 weekends a year in the western Pa hills and mountains and the "yota has zero problems doing it and now has 50k miles and runs as good now as it did new. So if that 5.3V8 powered GM tranny couldn't handle that ,then it must have had a pre-existing condition.

Every half-ton (GM 1500/F150 Ram1500 ,Tundra and Tacoma) should be able to handle a loaded 7x14 trailer that should max out at 4000-4500 lbs. without any problem whatsoever.

|

5/19/2020 4:57 PM

alien wrote:

OldPro277 wrote:

Really? I ordered a new aluminum 7x14 V-nose with the +12 height 3 years ago and pull it with a new (at the time) 17 Tacoma crew. We typically put 4 full size bikes, 2 pitters, gear ,fuel, full tool box and haul it 18-25 weekends a year in the western Pa hills and mountains and the "yota has zero problems doing it and now has 50k miles and runs as good now as it did new. So if that 5.3V8 powered GM tranny couldn't handle that ,then it must have had a pre-existing condition.

Every half-ton (GM 1500/F150 Ram1500 ,Tundra and Tacoma) should be able to handle a loaded 7x14 trailer that should max out at 4000-4500 lbs. without any problem whatsoever.

Yeah I was towing like 8-9k with airbags in the rear and the eco diesel at 10-12mpg easily.

|

5/19/2020 5:36 PM

I have a 7x14 V-nose. That is perfect for me. I have the 6ft height for less wind resistance. I don't put anything tall like a SXS in there so that's what is best for me.

As you look around, you'll realize that all the trailer manufacturers source a lot of their parts from the same suppliers. things like axles, brakes, lights, couplers, etc. After that, it's basically just them slapping the box together. So you basically look at the quality of the parts they source and the quality of construction. Another big factor is where it is built because a lot of the price is the shipping to get it to the dealer. So it's better to by local or right from the manufacturer if you can go pick it up.

As for pulling 8-9K in a 7x14... that sounds a little crazy. Most 7x14 have 3500lb tandem axles which means the total max gross weight is 7,000lb. So, you're either overloaded or you have the higher 5,000lb tandem axles which is rare in a 7x14.

|

Powerband in every gear !

5/19/2020 5:38 PM

alien wrote:

jmo443 wrote:

Ram i towed a 33’ toy hauler fully loaded no issue. If a 1500 can’t handle a 7x14 that’s crazy I’d tow that with a damn mini van.

We towed my 6x12 with 2 bikes with a new dodge Dakota v6 magnum. It didn’t last long. It killed it. Towed my 40’ work trailer with ram 3500 5.9 diesel, it killed it. Moved up to 4500 with 6.7, it killed it. Now have F650 we will see??!

|

5/19/2020 6:33 PM

FGR01 wrote:

I have a 7x14 V-nose. That is perfect for me. I have the 6ft height for less wind resistance. I don't put anything tall like a SXS in there so that's what is best for me.

As you look around, you'll realize that all the trailer manufacturers source a lot of their parts from the same suppliers. things like axles, brakes, lights, couplers, etc. After that, it's basically just them slapping the box together. So you basically look at the quality of the parts they source and the quality of construction. Another big factor is where it is built because a lot of the price is the shipping to get it to the dealer. So it's better to by local or right from the manufacturer if you can go pick it up.

As for pulling 8-9K in a 7x14... that sounds a little crazy. Most 7x14 have 3500lb tandem axles which means the total max gross weight is 7,000lb. So, you're either overloaded or you have the higher 5,000lb tandem axles which is rare in a 7x14.

I believe jmo443 was referring to his 33' toyhauler weighing 8,000-9000 lbs not a 7x14 trailer.

Also, I highly recommend upgrading the tandem axle to the torsion spring type. Cost me an extra $ 1300 but the difference is amazing

|

5/19/2020 7:34 PM

alien wrote:

Im not worried about that. You had something wrong if that happened. I work for a big 3 and have pulled trailers of all kinds for personal and work for over 20 years. Im not trying to be offensive in any way, but even the big 3 i dont work for, or competitors in that class should handle that without issue.

|

5/19/2020 7:38 PM

FGR01 wrote:

OldPro277 wrote:

I believe jmo443 was referring to his 33' toyhauler weighing 8,000-9000 lbs not a 7x14 trailer.

Also, I highly recommend upgrading the tandem axle to the torsion spring type. Cost me an extra $ 1300 but the difference is amazing

the ones im looking at are 7x16 +12 height and have springs it says. Ill have to confirm, but it didnt cost much more so now im curious.I dont feel like i need spring, never had that before and didnt have any issues. Im sure its better though, but tandem already rides SO MUCH better than single.

|

5/19/2020 7:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/20/2020 5:19 AM

alien wrote:

jmo443 wrote:

|

5/19/2020 9:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2020 9:38 PM

I have a 24' enclosed and decided to downsize couple years back.

A buddy was selling an almost new 7x16 +12" for his UTV to fit.
I almost bought but decided to use it one weekend to be sure.
It was great for space but I kinda felt it was still a 'big' box trailer.

Wound up getting a 7x14 v nose and spec'd torsion axles.
Torsion axles ride so smooth, I have an open shelf in the v and can leave helmets sitting on it for 14 hour drives and they barely move.
Mine is a 6' finished ceiling inside height.
Usually pull it with a F250 and occasionally pull it with a 6.2l Denali Yukon with no issues.
Very happy with the 7x14 decision.

I use bike shoes on an angle and can put 4 bikes in and still have room to move around.
I'll put up a pic shortly showing that method, highly recommend

|

5/19/2020 9:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2020 9:51 PM

Angle loading mock up when I first got the trailer

Photo

|

5/19/2020 10:20 PM

OldPro277 wrote:

Ahhh, my bad. Sorry jmo. However, I still wouldn't try to pull a decently loaded 7x14 with a minivan, LOL. I'm one of the people that likes the truck to be oversized if anything. Don't want to be blowing transmissions up in minivans. My wife has a Toyota Highlander (basically a minivan) which, in theory, is well within it's limits to pull my 7x14. But I would never use it to do that, except maybe across town at slow speeds in a pinch.

As for the tandem axle thing others are talking about, I had a single torsion axle on my 6x10 and now tandem spring axles on my 7x14. My 7x14 rides beautifully and I can't really imagine what the torsion axles might do that I'm missing? I will say if you get spring type axles, make sure they are drop axles to keep the overall height of the trailer as low as possible.

|

Powerband in every gear !

5/20/2020 6:44 AM

FGR01 wrote:

OldPro277 wrote:

FGR01 wrote:

Ahhh, my bad. Sorry jmo. However, I still wouldn't try to pull a decently loaded 7x14 with a minivan, LOL. I'm one of the people that likes the truck to be oversized if anything. Don't want to be blowing transmissions up in minivans. My wife has a Toyota Highlander (basically a minivan) which, in theory, is well within it's limits to pull my 7x14. But I would never use it to do that, except maybe across town at slow speeds in a pinch.

As for the tandem axle thing others are talking about, I had a single torsion axle on my 6x10 and now tandem spring axles on my 7x14. My 7x14 rides beautifully and I can't really imagine what the torsion axles might do that I'm missing? I will say if you get spring type axles, make sure they are drop axles to keep the overall height of the trailer as low as possible.

The torsion spring axles move much more independently that a leaf spring setup. My new trailer pulls SO much smoother that my old leaf spring one .As Highflier stated above, I've also set things on my bench cabinet in the Vnose and they've stayed put.

|

5/20/2020 8:09 AM

alien wrote:

jmo443 wrote:

Pink wrote:

We towed my 6x12 with 2 bikes with a new dodge Dakota v6 magnum. It didn’t last long. It killed it. Towed my 40’ work trailer with ram 3500 5.9 diesel, it killed it. Moved up to 4500 with 6.7, it killed it. Now have F650 we will see??!

Nothing kills the 5.9 unless your an idiot. 6.7 is far far from an upgrade lol

|

5/20/2020 11:34 AM

jmo443 wrote:

Pink wrote:

imoto34 wrote:

Yeah, if you are "killing" diesels with a 40' trailer you are doing something wrong. If anything I could see tranny issues but again it means you aren't monitoring your shit. Three trucks = user error...........

|

5/20/2020 6:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/26/2020 5:53 PM

Pink wrote:

imoto34 wrote:

Tracktor wrote:

Yeah, if you are "killing" diesels with a 40' trailer you are doing something wrong. If anything I could see tranny issues but again it means you aren't monitoring your shit. Three trucks = user error...........

|

5/20/2020 6:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/20/2020 7:05 PM

imoto34 wrote:

Tracktor wrote:

Pink wrote:

Who manages to disregard all maintenance to allow a wheel to fall off three times?

|

5/20/2020 6:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/20/2020 7:06 PM

Tracktor wrote:

Pink wrote:

imoto34 wrote:

Who manages to disregard all maintenance to allow a wheel to fall off three times?

Lol

|