Enclosed trailer build with details and pics

Edited Date/Time 4/5/2019 4:51pm
Soooo. I got back into racing in the last year after purchasing my son a PW and my wife bought me a new CRF. We started going to the races and quickly realized with 3 kids and all the necessities it was time for a trailer. After much research the following are the results. Please feel free to comment on the thread with what I might have done that I will regret, and also things needed that I have forgot. I'm sure I will add things as we go. Size is 7x14 tandem.

As we purchased

Then I went to work. I framed up the cabinets to be stand alone (not attached to trailer walls). I built the cabinet faces, and also doors. I wanted to be able to hold our gear, cooler, awning and chairs, generator, etc where everything has a place. I hate clutter and try to be very organized as you will see...

Then it became time to paint. I went with black on the cabinets so they wouldn't show dirt. (Hope it works) although I regret painting the inside of the cabinets black as it's hard to see at night. I purchased lights to help. I went with grey on the walls and garage floor coating on the floor. The floor is nice because of the paint chips it's hard to tell when something gets spilled, but was a pain to install. I painted the door with dry erase paint so I can write the race/ practice orders and times and also provides our girls a place to draw when they get board.

And lastly onto organization. I wanted the ability to have my wife or kids fetch tools for me if I was working on something. It was important that things be labeled and have a specific place. I lined my toolbox with 1/2 inch foam insulation painted black and glued red felt to the bottom to tell what is missing. It's labeled well so the little ones can retrieve tools for me.

I plan to wire up an RV style hookup yet and a few 110 outlets and a work light in the future. Overall I am pretty pleased with how things turned out and wouldn't change much. We purchased the trailer for $4200 and have invested another $500-600 into how it sits currently. Just thought I'd share as I enjoyed looking at threads others had posted which gave me many ideas for this one.

Thx for viewing.
|
sdmx
Fantasy
1781st
2/14/2019 4:44pm
Well done.
Pirate421
2/14/2019 5:25pm
This should be in the toyhauler thread. After owning a conventional rv and then a cargo trailer that I have outfitted with things I need, I believe the way you’ve done it is the way to go. Add a jackknife bed and you’re good to go. Cost wise and durability wise, can’t be beat
2/14/2019 5:44pm
Nice dude! I am a trailer/RV tech and I see a lot of people do these enclosed trailer conversions and they do a crappy job and they call me to fix it or do it right.

Your set up is badass dude. I dig it.

The Shop

cfox109
Fantasy
2014th
2/14/2019 5:53pm
Nice dude! I am a trailer/RV tech and I see a lot of people do these enclosed trailer conversions and they do a crappy job and...
Nice dude! I am a trailer/RV tech and I see a lot of people do these enclosed trailer conversions and they do a crappy job and they call me to fix it or do it right.

Your set up is badass dude. I dig it.
What do people usually do wrong?
2/14/2019 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 2/14/2019 8:11pm
Usually it’s just poor workmanship and people don’t know what they’re doing. Mostly with the cabinetry and electrical
Alec138
2/14/2019 7:12pm
Before you did the floor you should have added foldable wheel chocks recessed into the floor. I dont have pics of ours but the wheel chock is in the floor and the part that you push the wheel against folds down flat so its not just sticking up in the middle of the floor.
2/14/2019 8:58pm
Alec138 wrote:
Before you did the floor you should have added foldable wheel chocks recessed into the floor. I dont have pics of ours but the wheel chock...
Before you did the floor you should have added foldable wheel chocks recessed into the floor. I dont have pics of ours but the wheel chock is in the floor and the part that you push the wheel against folds down flat so its not just sticking up in the middle of the floor.
I saw those after I installed mine. They look awesome. Mine come out, but those would have been more trick!
MXD
2/15/2019 8:54am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2019 8:58am
I'm a big fan of the cargo trailer conversions. They are an order of magnitude more durable than an RV. You can't beat a 1 piece aluminum roof. Here is mine. I started out with a brand new Car Mate 7x16 that I special ordered with the RV/screen door, 1/2 inch plywood walls and 2 ceiling vents. I wanted 2 because I planned on installing an AC.

Fast Forward a few years and here is what it looks like today.

I custom built the base cabinets using 3/4 plywood. The upper cabinets, I got on clearance from Home Depot for like $25 each.

I bought the scissor jack couches off Craig's List for $60 each. I was going to keep one and resell the other but when I installed the first one I realized that laid out in the bed position, it came to the exact halfway point so I mounted the other and viola! I have a larger than king size bed.

Here are some pics of the AC install. I braced the roof with 2x4s (I painted them before final assembly) and then insulated it with Roxul. All that's left is to paint it.

2/15/2019 9:51am
MXD wrote:
I'm a big fan of the cargo trailer conversions. They are an order of magnitude more durable than an RV. You can't beat a 1 piece...
I'm a big fan of the cargo trailer conversions. They are an order of magnitude more durable than an RV. You can't beat a 1 piece aluminum roof. Here is mine. I started out with a brand new Car Mate 7x16 that I special ordered with the RV/screen door, 1/2 inch plywood walls and 2 ceiling vents. I wanted 2 because I planned on installing an AC.

I custom built the base cabinets using 3/4 plywood. The upper cabinets, I got on clearance from Home Depot for like $25 each.

I bought the scissor jack couches off Craig's List for $60 each. I was going to keep one and resell the other but when I installed the first one I realized that laid out in the bed position, it came to the exact halfway point so I mounted the other and viola! I have a larger than king size bed.

Here are some pics of the AC install. I braced the roof with 2x4s (I painted them before final assembly) and then insulated it with Roxul. All that's left is to paint it.

That is a slick setup too!
maicocd
2/15/2019 11:21am
Awesome job...!!! Well done.

I have had a V-nose bike trailer for more then a couple years and just haven't quite figured out how to lay out the front and still maximize floor space. The V-nose is a little tricky figuring out how to work everything basically around a 45-degree angle.

Although everyone needs to figure out what their needs as far as layout, I think you did a great job.

I hope that you don't mind that I might borrow heavily from your floor plan..!!
Question
2/15/2019 11:42am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2019 11:43am
I wanted to click "thumbs down" just to be "the one" to upset you lol, but it is really a too nice set up especially for the kid Wink

So I will get a kid and get back to you Smile
2/15/2019 12:39pm
maicocd wrote:
Awesome job...!!! Well done. I have had a V-nose bike trailer for more then a couple years and just haven't quite figured out how to lay...
Awesome job...!!! Well done.

I have had a V-nose bike trailer for more then a couple years and just haven't quite figured out how to lay out the front and still maximize floor space. The V-nose is a little tricky figuring out how to work everything basically around a 45-degree angle.

Although everyone needs to figure out what their needs as far as layout, I think you did a great job.

I hope that you don't mind that I might borrow heavily from your floor plan..!!
Hey, that's why I posted with pics. I know when I was scouring the web for ideas I loved pictures with details like mine. ?
2/15/2019 12:40pm
MXD wrote:
I'm a big fan of the cargo trailer conversions. They are an order of magnitude more durable than an RV. You can't beat a 1 piece...

I really want to mount my helmets like that but I afraid they will swing so much going down the road and ruin the liner or the bottom of them? Not seeing any of that?
MXD
2/15/2019 12:58pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2019 12:59pm
526 wrote:
I really want to mount my helmets like that but I afraid they will swing so much going down the road and ruin the liner or...
I really want to mount my helmets like that but I afraid they will swing so much going down the road and ruin the liner or the bottom of them? Not seeing any of that?
If you blow that picture up (the one showing the insulation where the helmets are missing), you'll see that I zip tied some foam around the hook and then I hot glue gunned a giant piece of foam to the wall that both helmets rest on. I've had zero issues with ruining the liner. The foam on the wall is the piece that usually comes with a skid plate and the stuff I wrapped around the hook is maybe 1/8 inch thick? You can find it at any craft store.

That being said, I know people with the same set up and they run it with nothing and have had no issue either. I figured for a few bucks I might as well be on the safe side.
2/15/2019 1:01pm
526 wrote:
I really want to mount my helmets like that but I afraid they will swing so much going down the road and ruin the liner or...
MXD wrote:
If you blow that picture up (the one showing the insulation where the helmets are missing), you'll see that I zip tied some foam around the...
If you blow that picture up (the one showing the insulation where the helmets are missing), you'll see that I zip tied some foam around the hook and then I hot glue gunned a giant piece of foam to the wall that both helmets rest on. I've had zero issues with ruining the liner. The foam on the wall is the piece that usually comes with a skid plate and the stuff I wrapped around the hook is maybe 1/8 inch thick? You can find it at any craft store.

That being said, I know people with the same set up and they run it with nothing and have had no issue either. I figured for a few bucks I might as well be on the safe side.
Gotcha so you had the same fear LOL those are good ideas I plan to steal.
MXD
2/15/2019 1:06pm
526 wrote:
MXD wrote:
If you blow that picture up (the one showing the insulation where the helmets are missing), you'll see that I zip tied some foam around the...

526 wrote:
Gotcha so you had the same fear LOL those are good ideas I plan to steal.
The EXACT same fear. I had visions of frayed liners, dented rubber around the mouth guard, chips and scratches from the helmets banging off each other.....I lost sleep hahaha. In the end, I've had it that way for 2 years and have had no issues. Grab the hot glue gun and some foam and you'll be all set. If you don't have a hot glue gun, you could probably use some of that yellow weather strip adhesive or something like that.
dean122
2/15/2019 2:55pm
Nice set-up! Makes it even better when you build it yourself and have pride in your work. I dig the labels on the tools. I can't count how many times I asked my wife or son to get me a specific tool and they come back with a tire iron asking, "will this work?"
Mx746
2/15/2019 10:01pm
Let’s not forget the loo.
2/24/2019 5:12am
Wow! It's really interesting this discussion because I'm also embarking on the development of a cargo trailer. Many good ideas and if there are other nice suggestions, please post !
5280mx
2/24/2019 7:21am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2019 10:26pm
Last year I bought a used bare bones 6X12. Bought a cabinet off CL for $10, some paint and random crap from HF and a couple of days of effort. I was on a budget, so as much as I wanted the motoconcept tie down system, I had to get creative. Bought some turnbuckles, d rings, and made my own. I can load and secure bike in 30 seconds, no straps, love it.

web mx
2/24/2019 10:54am
That looks very similar to my trailer setup that i sold a few years ago 5280mx,but are you sure yours isnt a 5x10 cause mine was a 6x10 and when i had just 1 bike in there in center I had more room on each side of handlebars to wall ?
philG
2/24/2019 1:02pm
Some great trailers, but they have no practicality here in the UK, as they are too big and heavy.

What i dont get is why everyone has this thing that the bike has to go in the middle, its a pain in the arse , and takes up all your room straight away. Plus anything screwed to the floor is a trip hazard that you dont need.

This will have a small channel for the rear wheel, and a small peice of wood with foam, for the bar end. Lashing eye will be on the beam on the wall about a a foot above bar height, level with the footrest. One bike , one strap. And the rest of the floor is free. Will get 3 in there .

And while i love the cupboards , they just get full of stuff you never use , but haul everywhere.

Toolbox needs to be just what you need , to strip your bike, You will be amazed how little that is. Carry 2 of everything you use, instead of 30 things you dont use.

Texas Built
2/24/2019 1:09pm Edited Date/Time 2/24/2019 1:11pm
Just my opinion after seeing countless enclosed trailers get broke into and bikes stolen out of them. i would build a trap door under it where you can climb inside from under the trailer and secure the doors from inside too. If someone wants to break in they will have to rip the entire door off. They wont be cutting a lock off and gone with your stuff in 20 seconds as usual.
plowboy
2/24/2019 1:16pm
Just my opinion after seeing countless enclosed trailers get broke into and bikes stolen out of them. i would build a trap door under it where...
Just my opinion after seeing countless enclosed trailers get broke into and bikes stolen out of them. i would build a trap door under it where you can climb inside from under the trailer and secure the doors from inside too. If someone wants to break in they will have to rip the entire door off. They wont be cutting a lock off and gone with your stuff in 20 seconds as usual.
Or just install an extremely loud alarm system with flashing LED lights and phone alert app.
3/2/2019 2:16pm
Your setup is amateur. I can tell your a mid-pack C rider just by looking at your trailer. You've probably got your training wheels hid in one of those cabinets so nobody in the pits thinks your a joke. I can tell you race the vet class, probably so you've got a better chance at getting a trophy with all 6 guys you race against. Your wife is probably really impressed by that 5th place participation trophy you bring home every other week from your local fair race. When you get fast enough to have a setup like mine, give me a ring.

1983YZ125
Fantasy
1406th
3/3/2019 8:07am
Your setup is amateur. I can tell your a mid-pack C rider just by looking at your trailer. You've probably got your training wheels hid in...
Your setup is amateur. I can tell your a mid-pack C rider just by looking at your trailer. You've probably got your training wheels hid in one of those cabinets so nobody in the pits thinks your a joke. I can tell you race the vet class, probably so you've got a better chance at getting a trophy with all 6 guys you race against. Your wife is probably really impressed by that 5th place participation trophy you bring home every other week from your local fair race. When you get fast enough to have a setup like mine, give me a ring.

You give out free candy in that thing?
Spudnut
3/3/2019 8:58am
Your setup is amateur. I can tell your a mid-pack C rider just by looking at your trailer. You've probably got your training wheels hid in...

Wow I bet your dicks huge

Post a reply to: Enclosed trailer build with details and pics

The Latest