Enclosed U-Haul trailer

Related:
Create New Tag

10/4/2017 8:36 AM

Has anyone hauled bikes in one of U-Hauls enclosed trailers? From what I can find there aren't many (if any) good spots to hook tie downs.

|

10/4/2017 9:09 AM

You have to get the largest enclosed they offer. I did it years ago we put three bikes and a crap ton of gear, supplies, coolers etc and had a ton of space still. I don't remember the tie down arrangement but it was no problem from what I remember.

|

10/4/2017 9:10 AM

You have to get the largest one because otherwise they don't fit thru the opening from what I remember

|

10/4/2017 9:11 AM

If their actual trailers are anything like their box trucks then yea youre kindof sol on tie downs. When i moved i had to wrap mine around those standoffs that hold those rail things.. if that makes sense

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

10/4/2017 9:16 AM

Buy some double-looped soft ties and you can wrap them around just about anything. Hook your tie-downs to those.

Also, buy a cheap wheel chock and mount it on a 2'x2' piece of plywood so you can put it just about anywhere you need it. Not the best, but handy...

|

Straight Outta Compression

10/4/2017 9:27 AM

I rented them twice over the summer, first time was a 5x8, second was a 4x8. Didn't use them for bikes - furniture. But the 5x8 should be lots of room for a couple bikes & gear. They don't have tie down spots down low but have a rail around half way up that you can tie to. So should be able to tie them to the side & throw your gear between them. Or make or buy a chock thing mentioned above & use that too. I like them - they are low and easy to load, and tow fairly easy. Check the dimensions on their website - if the 4x8 gives you enough room I'd do that as it's lighter and tows a bit easier. Maybe a non-issue depending what you're towing with. The 5x8 at $19/day is a hair over 5' high inside - the 4x8 at $14/day is 4' something. Hard to beat the price for a day or 2.

|

HAF

10/4/2017 2:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2017 2:55 PM

Csb146 wrote:

Has anyone hauled bikes in one of U-Hauls enclosed trailers? From what I can find there aren't many (if any) good spots to ...more

Not sure how many bikes you're planning to haul, but if it's no more than 2, I'd suggest a 5x8. I used a 5x8 this past summer to tow my bike from TX to CO. I built a sub-floor out of scrap wood and mounted a wheel chock to the subfloor. I then used the D-rings that were hard mounted in the corners of the trailer to tie the bike down. The wheel chock works well, but I wanted the extra insurance of having the bike secured with tieddowns. I had lots of room for gear bags, tools, etc. Even with 2 bikes, you should still have plenty of room for bags.

Fwiw, the floor dimensions of the 5x8 are L-93" W-57".

Here's my set-up.
Photo

Photo

|

10/4/2017 2:46 PM

Get some wheel chocks and zip them down with self-tappers and take 'em out before you return it.

|

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.